AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Penalty: for or against? Why?

Frostbeule stankler is on a distinguished road stankler's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2004 08:11 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Death Penalty: for or against? Why?

Just questionning.

I am totally against death penalty. Some would come and say: when you do something wrong you have to pay for it. When you kill someone, you deserve death too. But I must ask: the guy who places the criminal on the electric chair, or puts all the seringes on the condemned, will he pay for killing human beings? There's something Albert Camus wrote in a book called "La Chute": (forgive the "freestyle" translation) Not all guilty people, all criminals should be condemned or punished, just so that the honest people won't feel innocent. That's the thing to avoid."
    It is true though that prisoneers with long sentences are very expensive but I believe there's a better way than killing them. And you have to be even more careful when considering all the possible juridic mistakes. Also, there's a quite eloquent quote from someone I forgot saying: "We can't give death penalty because we don't know what death is. What if it was reward?"

Edit: reviewing my grammar. Please bear with my sometimes wobbly english.
    Last edited by stankler; 10-05-2004 at 01:45 PM.

Lawful Good~*I <3<3<3~Torm*~ Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-03-2015 11:24 AM
    Threads

Well.. What is worse? Death penalty or life in a hellish prison?

The rewards of tolerance are treachery and betrayal.

Senior Member wait_andbleed is on a distinguished road wait_andbleed's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-05-2005 11:39 AM
    Threads

I'm against it. Not only for the reason you stated, but also I think that it's worse to live the rest of your life in jail than to be put to death.
    Also, there's always that slight possibility that the person in jail is innocent, and later they might figure it out. If they had put that person on death row, there would be no way of taking them back.
    But that's just me...

No Brilliance Here. Annik has a reputation beyond repute Annik has a reputation beyond repute Annik has a reputation beyond repute Annik has a reputation beyond repute Annik has a reputation beyond repute Annik has a reputation beyond repute Annik has a reputation beyond repute Annik has a reputation beyond repute Annik has a reputation beyond repute Annik has a reputation beyond repute Annik has a reputation beyond repute Annik's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-01-2009 10:39 PM
    Threads

For.

Just kill them.

Who cares what the better punishment is.

For murderers, rapists, etc, etc, the Death Penalty should be an option.

They drain money and time.

The entire idea of jail isn't exactly a punishment. It's to keep the dangerous people away from the not so dangerous people.

Kill em.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

There's a movie talking of it: The Life of David Gale.
    Basically, one university professor (D. Gale) against death penalty has himself condemned of a murder he hasn't done, with death sentence. He lets a journalist know that he is innocent by leaving clues to her with the help of a third unknown person. He's killed and simultaneously, the journalist finds the final clue to proove that he is innocent, showing to everyone that justice can fail and that death can be given to innocents too.

Edit: Yes, it drains lots of money. But is money a reason to kill? Yes, surely, I forgot the world we lived in. Not that I give that much importance to life in general, but let's consider the people loving the person who would die, that possibly innocent person. Anyways, for those criminals, there are still some activities they could do, so that their sentence doesn't pass with them doing nothing in jail, like planting trees, cultivating in state farms (if they ever have some created). I mean, there's plenty of things not requiring specific qualifications that prisoneers could execute while doing their sentence.
    Last edited by stankler; 10-05-2004 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Calintz

No Brilliance Here. Annik has a reputation beyond repute Annik has a reputation beyond repute Annik has a reputation beyond repute Annik has a reputation beyond repute Annik has a reputation beyond repute Annik has a reputation beyond repute Annik has a reputation beyond repute Annik has a reputation beyond repute Annik has a reputation beyond repute Annik has a reputation beyond repute Annik has a reputation beyond repute Annik's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Yeah. That's why people need to get better at their jobs.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'm all for good ol' mutilation. It's cheap and gets things done.

If there's a thief, you cut his hands off.
    If there's a careless driver, you poke his eyes out.
    If there's a rapist, you cut his thing off.
    If there's a murderer you blow his frickin head off.
    Fraud = Lobotomy, etc.

The only problem is that it's sorta irrevocable.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by PikuNe

Fraud = Lobotomy, etc.

I agree. Or just inject a big dose of oestradiol (the most concentrated form of oestrogena (is that the english word for female hormones?)) in the rapist's blood. That would be rather funny.
    Last edited by stankler; 10-05-2004 at 03:02 PM.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Women aren't the only victims of rape.

[hybrid rainbow] shi_amai has much to be proud of shi_amai has much to be proud of shi_amai has much to be proud of shi_amai has much to be proud of shi_amai has much to be proud of shi_amai has much to be proud of shi_amai has much to be proud of shi_amai has much to be proud of shi_amai has much to be proud of shi_amai's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-23-2006 10:07 PM
    Threads

Originally Posted by PikuNe

Fraud = Lobotomy, etc.

Lol, right on. Anyways, no, I don't really like the whole death penalty thing.

Ich liebe dich ____ has a reputation beyond repute ____ has a reputation beyond repute ____ has a reputation beyond repute ____ has a reputation beyond repute ____ has a reputation beyond repute ____ has a reputation beyond repute ____ has a reputation beyond repute ____ has a reputation beyond repute ____ has a reputation beyond repute ____ has a reputation beyond repute ____ has a reputation beyond repute ____'s Avatar
    Gil
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-19-2009 05:47 PM
    Threads

i'm against the death penalty. unfortunately in, i believe, illinoise (sp?) (i can't spell worth crap today or remember! X_x X.x) there was a streak of death sentences. the bad part was that about 1/3 of the ppl (or something like that) were innocent. therefore, when they finally realized it, it was too late....

and as in Trigun....

No one has the right to take the life of another.

(ack! i'm quoting something from an anime! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!)

Wild Card! SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI's Avatar
    Gil
    Cynical
    Gifts Fedora Cylon 1970s
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-06-2017 02:05 PM
    Threads

While I am for the death penalty, I only belive it should be used in the absolutely most deploreable crimes imaginable. Eg. Genocide, mass murder, pedophilia (okay it's not a capital crime but I belive they should die), or grotesque assault.

And only then there should be a complete apeals process appliable for 4 years to make sure whoever is going to die is actually guilty.

The problem with the current system is it is far too much of a machine in just "getting them out of the way".

Butterfly of Gadgets gadgetgirl16 has a reputation beyond repute gadgetgirl16 has a reputation beyond repute gadgetgirl16 has a reputation beyond repute gadgetgirl16 has a reputation beyond repute gadgetgirl16 has a reputation beyond repute gadgetgirl16 has a reputation beyond repute gadgetgirl16 has a reputation beyond repute gadgetgirl16 has a reputation beyond repute gadgetgirl16 has a reputation beyond repute gadgetgirl16 has a reputation beyond repute gadgetgirl16 has a reputation beyond repute gadgetgirl16's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-03-2009 02:24 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

Fraud = Lobotomy, etc.

agree....if somebody kills another person, they should die also.....

Train of thought En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-19-2006 09:33 AM
    Threads

I'm totally against it. The court should not be entrusted with the task of deciding between life and death. But sure, if someone killed my family, I would wish with all my heart that we had the death penalty so that the ones who murdered them could pay. That is why we should not have it. State organized revenge should be a thing to leave behind in the 21. century. Who are we to decide who shall live and who shall not? It even happens that innocent people are convicted for crimes they didn't commit... Sure, it sucks if you find out that you shouldn't have been in prison for the last 10 years, but what sucks more is when you don't find out...'cause the state murdered you.

And gadgetgirl; "an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind"

Banna Split Terra has a brilliant future Terra has a brilliant future Terra has a brilliant future Terra has a brilliant future Terra has a brilliant future Terra has a brilliant future Terra has a brilliant future Terra has a brilliant future Terra has a brilliant future Terra has a brilliant future Terra has a brilliant future Terra's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-24-2005 09:11 AM
    Threads

kill them. maybe those who just stole a stuff or more put in prison. like..... u stole something about..... 100 bucks. put in prison for one year. 1000 bucks ...10 years and......

family in journal

Train of thought En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by terra_darkness
    kill them. maybe those who just stole a stuff or more put in prison. like..... u stole something about..... 100 bucks. put in prison for one year. 1000 bucks ...10 years and......
    That has to be the lamest suggestion ever made..ever..

Ever thought of that there's a reason we have crime? Not everyone steals because they consider it a fun hobby. But since you don't make the laws, let us all be happy -.-

SPARKLE SPARKLE!!! Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra's Avatar
    Gil
    Ornery
    Gifts Tsubasa Mokona Eva Penpen
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-12-2015 07:17 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I don't think that the death penalty is the answer. It deters no one when the appeals process is allowed to go on for years causing the repeated suffering of grieving family members. My best friend was murdered by her ex-boyfriend (who was mentally unstable when not taking his meds), but I want nothing more than to see him rot in jail. Taking his life is not going to bring her back. If it would, then I'd say most definitely take his life, but that's just impossible.

Plus, there truly is the factor of a screwed up system were the people with money can afford the best that money can buy...which usually helps them to get off with either a lighter sentence or go scott free. Most people will never get that kind of help, so I am sure there are many who are innocent stuck in a system that doesn't work...at least here in the states.
    Anime-Tron

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Mom: Iris Brother: Cypher Sister: LPS Boyfriend: Rodimus
    Siggy by DPBM

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Raye Hino
    Plus, there truly is the factor of a screwed up system were the people with money can afford the best that money can buy...which usually helps them to get off with either a lighter sentence or go scott free. Most people will never get that kind of help, so I am sure there are many who are innocent stuck in a system that doesn't work...at least here in the states.
    Yes. Never forget that equality and fairness are things we have to pay for...and that it is not affordable for all.

heartless killer TerraN EmpirE has a reputation beyond repute TerraN EmpirE has a reputation beyond repute TerraN EmpirE has a reputation beyond repute TerraN EmpirE has a reputation beyond repute TerraN EmpirE has a reputation beyond repute TerraN EmpirE has a reputation beyond repute TerraN EmpirE has a reputation beyond repute TerraN EmpirE has a reputation beyond repute TerraN EmpirE has a reputation beyond repute TerraN EmpirE has a reputation beyond repute TerraN EmpirE has a reputation beyond repute TerraN EmpirE's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-09-2008 01:32 PM
    Threads

ahh it depends on the crime

The clan is full so don't bother unless you want a new user title.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by terra_darkness
    Uh, no. You make them replace whatever they stole o.O;

What's the point of imprisoning them?

(Maninly because i'd serve like 7000000000 years in prison if that was facts)
    Last edited by Eris; 10-07-2004 at 08:10 AM.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Uh, no. You make them replace whatever they stole o.O;

What's the point of imprisoning them?
    ah, preach! The fairest way to deal with theft...

-If you stole this guys tv, well, give it back, or if you sold it, get him a new one..
    -Someone stole your car... They get caught, and have to give it back..no harm done...

Though maybe this would make theft increase, since there would be no danger of procecution should you get caught..But for minor crimes, why not?

Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Okay then, make the thief replace it and pay the value of it in cash.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

ah, not a bad idea... It will sting pretty bad to have to give the guy his car back, and pay him like 20.000 $ ...

But wouldn't that get us back at square one, since no one will be able to pay back, and thus get placed in prison instead?

Senior Member Goku(AKIRA) is an unknown quantity at this point Goku(AKIRA)'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-18-2006 11:04 PM
    Threads

for it in most cases i mean it is cheaper for us to kill than it is to keep them alive
    Belive in yourself and create your own destiny.Don't be a failure

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Goku(AKIRA)
    for it in most cases i mean it is cheaper for us to kill than it is to keep them alive
    Jesus Tapdancing Christ... Sure it's cheaper, everyone understands that... But we aren't talking about train ticket prices here, we are talking about human beings. It would be alot "cheaper" to run a country if we killed all the people who just costs us money (prisoners, old people, social clients)

But money vs life? I dunno..

If you would like som inspiration on how to get rid of people cheap and fast, look no further than back into 1940's germany... They had a system for it.. Got rid of millions of people at very low costs..

We don't need that **** again.

Closed Thread

Thread Information