Here is my list of the Top Five Anime NOT Suited for Children. Note I am only listing those I have seen in their entirety. I know When They Cry is pretty bloody and would mess up the mind of any child, but I have only seen a few scenes and have yet to watch the entire series.
So let me give my countdown of anime I am familiar with, in reverse order of inappropriateness.
5. Black Lagoon. But doesn’t this series have those adorable twins Hansel and Gretel? Oh wait. They are gender bending homicidal killers. Forget them and let’s talk about Revy, who has a hot body, smokes like a chimney, uses language which would offend Joe Pesci, and kills at a moment’s notice. Can you imagine a child going to bed dreaming about Revy?
4. Monster. This is one of my favorite mind-f*** anime series. But I would not show a mind-f*** anything to a kid. It is all about a doctor unjustly suspected of murder who hunts down the real killer – a charming young psycho who can get others to do his dirty work for him. There are a lot of sickos in this series.
3. Mouse. Here we go with the lighter fare. By day, Sorata is a mousey assistant art teacher at an all-girl high school, where he is constantly beleaguered by female faculty members Mei, Yayoi, and Hazuki. But at night, Sorata becomes Mouse, the master thief who boasts he can steal anything. And the ladies become his ever faithful servants who will obey any order and fulfil any need without question. And I mean every need, even if Sorata does not request or want it. There is lots of nudity and sexual situations – to put it mildly.
2. Stepped Up Love Story. A short series about a man and woman in their late 20’s who marry as virgins knowing next to nothing about sex. They do learn though with the help of friends and eventually become mentors to younger couples. Any fan service here? Hell yes! This is pretty close to soft core hentai. But it is still a sweet story.
1. Elfin Lied. Back to the dark side. Is there any question about this one? If you think the detailed nudity is no problem, there is the subject of pedophilia. If that is not enough, there is bloody violence throughout, including acts of violence by and against children. This may be much for a few adults let alone the kids.
Your choices? They don’t just have to be series. Movies are OK as well. But let’s stay away from the obvious hard core hentai. That is just too easy.