AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: Recommendations of american - made animes?

  1. #1
    Junior Member Kyodai na Ōkoku is on a distinguished road Kyodai na Ōkoku's Avatar
    Gil
    1,152.48
    Gender
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-14-2017 05:32 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Norrköping, Sweden
    Threads
    6
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Recommendations of american - made animes?

    Hi, I've been searching the web for american made animes. I'm a big fan of RWBY and Avatar. I've seen teen titans and Kappa Mikey which combine a lot of elements from anime. I was wondering if anyone here could give some recommendations of american-made animes which resembles Avatar or RWBY?

  2. #2
    Proud wearer of the shame tarp Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa's Avatar
    Gil
    36,278.78
    Gender
    My Mood
    sunshine
    Gifts AK47 American Flag Ribbon Systems N64
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-23-2017 05:54 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    the twilight zone
    Age
    21
    Threads
    7
    Posts
    618
    Rep Power
    146
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: WootenClen

    Default Re: Recommendations of american - made animes?

    There are none. I'm sorry. Also what's the point of calling anything anime if you're going to use that word to describe western aninmation too?

  3. Likes Jasanime liked this post
  4. #3
    Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    34,059.00
    Gender
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-27-2017 08:38 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Earth
    Threads
    132
    Posts
    1,180
    Rep Power
    41

    Default Re: Recommendations of american - made animes?

    To me, anime is a genre or style which originated in Japan. So yes, there could be American made anime if it is done in that style, though I am not so sure RWBY is quite an anime style. It is anime influenced. But that is probably for another thread.

    We have Korean anime, so why not American?

    If you say that only Japanese animation is anime, that is like saying only American films can be film noir. Are you telling me Kurosawa's Straw Dog and Drunken Angel are not film noirs? Because they are.

  5. #4
    Proud wearer of the shame tarp Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa's Avatar
    Gil
    36,278.78
    Gender
    My Mood
    sunshine
    Gifts AK47 American Flag Ribbon Systems N64
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-23-2017 05:54 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    the twilight zone
    Age
    21
    Threads
    7
    Posts
    618
    Rep Power
    146
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: WootenClen

    Default Re: Recommendations of american - made animes?

    Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    To me, anime is a genre or style which originated in Japan.
    pls dont rattle my cage

  6. #5
    Junior Member InvaderBen is on a distinguished road InvaderBen's Avatar
    Gil
    790.59
    Gender
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-31-2017 07:03 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Modica, Italy
    Threads
    0
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Recommendations of american - made animes?

    Well, I guess what you're searching for is anime influenced animation. There are quite a few even though they're not exactly like Avatar, I'd still recommend them. I don't know if you heard of Martin Mystery, Code Lyoko or Oban Star-Racers. You should check those out! They're all French animated series but that doesn't mean they're not awesome. France has one of the biggest anime cultures in the world and you can clearly see it in some of their animations.
    If you're interested in seeing Korean 'anime', give 'Yobi, the five tailed fox' a try.

  7. #6
    Junior Member Kyodai na Ōkoku is on a distinguished road Kyodai na Ōkoku's Avatar
    Gil
    1,152.48
    Gender
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-14-2017 05:32 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Norrköping, Sweden
    Threads
    6
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Recommendations of american - made animes?

    Ok, thanks for the recommendations. I don't agree with you, Invaderben. In my eyes RWBY fulfills every elements of the drawing designs which is in any other anime-series. You got the same eyes and the unnantural spikey hair-styles or any other odd hair-styles which anime character usually have. I've also seen the same generic character stereotype in RWBY as you experience in most animes. So I think you can conclude that RWBY is an anime that is like any other anime-series.
    Last edited by Kyodai na Ōkoku; 02-27-2017 at 09:56 AM.

  8. #7
    Moderator Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime's Avatar
    Gil
    11,093.56
    Gender
    My Mood
    Happy
    Gifts Moon Crescent Wand Wine Kangaroo
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-18-2017 02:31 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Threads
    26
    Posts
    1,482
    Blog Entries
    33
    Rep Power
    772

    Default Re: Recommendations of american - made animes?

    I'm also of the opinion that if it's not Japanese, it's not anime. I can see that RWBY took inspiration from anime, but the overall quality was so bad. Not just the art, but the voice acting an dialogue...I don't think it deserves to be in the same category....
    Just my opinion though.

  9. #8
    Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    34,059.00
    Gender
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-27-2017 08:38 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Earth
    Threads
    132
    Posts
    1,180
    Rep Power
    41

    Default Re: Recommendations of american - made animes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasanime View Post
    I'm also of the opinion that if it's not Japanese, it's not anime. I can see that RWBY took inspiration from anime, but the overall quality was so bad. Not just the art, but the voice acting an dialogue...I don't think it deserves to be in the same category....
    Just my opinion though.
    So what is your opinion of Korean anime, or "anime" if you prefer. I have not seen much that I can recall, but from what I have seen it is too close to the original style to be merely influenced. Look at this clip:



    I will take it at their word that this is all Korean. But I can't tell the difference.

  10. #9
    Member Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu's Avatar
    Gil
    1,649.88
    Gender
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-12-2017 12:02 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Threads
    2
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Recommendations of american - made animes?

    I honestly don't count Avatar and a lot of French animation as anime because it departs so heavily from Japanese stylization at times, and also has heavy Western influence. However, something like RWBY seems close enough to anime that I would consider it anime. Honestly, there's not a good way to define anime aside from a style, so I just look at how it's done and decide based off that. Avatar, heavily anime influenced? Yes. Anime, not in my subjective opinion. It's just like impressionistic, post impressionistic, hyper realistic, photo realistic and abstract art. People are going to argue a lot about it even though there's very little in how to define it.

  11. #10
    Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    34,059.00
    Gender
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-27-2017 08:38 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Earth
    Threads
    132
    Posts
    1,180
    Rep Power
    41

    Default Re: Recommendations of american - made animes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raycu View Post
    People are going to argue a lot about it even though there's very little in how to define it.
    Kind of like film noir. Everybody seems to debate exactly what it is, but everyone knows it when they see it.

  12. #11
    Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    89,511.49
    Gender
    Gifts Orange Dango Potato Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    375 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-13-2017 09:02 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    24
    Threads
    500
    Posts
    9,432
    Blog Entries
    106
    Rep Power
    8269

    Default Re: Recommendations of american - made animes?

    No such thing as American anime.

    People want shows like Avatar/RWBY to be anime to satisy an internal insecurity they have with the term cartoon because they see calling a show like RWBY a cartoon does the show an injustice.

    ---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    To me, anime is a genre or style which originated in Japan. So yes, there could be American made anime if it is done in that style, though I am not so sure RWBY is quite an anime style. It is anime influenced. But that is probably for another thread.

    We have Korean anime, so why not American?

    If you say that only Japanese animation is anime, that is like saying only American films can be film noir. Are you telling me Kurosawa's Straw Dog and Drunken Angel are not film noirs? Because they are.


    This is a misconception created by western anime fans. Anime has never been a style because there are plenty of anime without the use of that style. Its also not a genre. Anime is a medium.
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

  13. Likes Jasanime liked this post
  14. #12
    Member Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu's Avatar
    Gil
    1,649.88
    Gender
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-12-2017 12:02 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Threads
    2
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Recommendations of american - made animes?

    Anime definitely isn't a medium because anime is animation, which actually is a medium. I think it's probably more like a subcategory of animation.

    And if anime has to be Japanese, how do you define Korean and Chinese animation with basically the same art style and themes?

    Furthermore, if an American team goes to Japan, learns from Japanese animators, and takes heavy influence from Japanese animation, is that anime? If Japanese people copy American animation standards to the T in America, is that anime? What if they do that in Japan with American influences? Your rules are simply a way of justifying that idea that your anime is somehow different than American animation because you're self conscious about what you enjoy.

    (Not to mention the fact that definitions are by nature meant to describe how a word is used, not prescribe how it should be used).
    Last edited by Raycu; 03-01-2017 at 04:42 PM.

  15. #13
    Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    89,511.49
    Gender
    Gifts Orange Dango Potato Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    375 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-13-2017 09:02 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    24
    Threads
    500
    Posts
    9,432
    Blog Entries
    106
    Rep Power
    8269

    Default Re: Recommendations of american - made animes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raycu View Post
    Anime definitely isn't a medium because anime is animation, which actually is a medium. I think it's probably more like a subcategory of animation.

    And if anime has to be Japanese, how do you define Korean and Chinese animation with basically the same art style and themes?

    Furthermore, if an American team goes to Japan, learns from Japanese animators, and takes heavy influence from Japanese animation, is that anime? If Japanese people copy American animation standards to the T in America, is that anime? What if they do that in Japan with American influences? Your rules are simply a way of justifying that idea that your anime is somehow different than American animation because you're self conscious about what you enjoy.
    Anime is a medium. I'm not even sure if that's debatable... It is true that anime is animation, but that doesn't make it not a medium. Animation is already a sub genre in itself and there are sub genres of anime. Your definition isn't really convincing enough.

    Also, your argument has already stated that Avatar isn't anime in your subjective opinion, but RWBY is. There is where your thesis is flawed. In reality, RWBY is no different from Avatar, Spongebob, Family Guy, Code Lyoko, etc. Sure, RWBY has a manga and is influenced, but..... so? Calling one cartoon anime to fit your thesis is bias and actually weakens your argument. Now, if you argued all anime are cartoons and all cartoons are anime then I might be willing to listen to your points, but that ship sailed with your prior error in logic.

    I can't change your opinion. To prove I am not insecure, I would be willing to be debate ALL anime are cartoons and all cartoons are anime. Though, I will not cater to people and say certain cartoon are anime while others are not. That's stupid.
    Last edited by Anime Forum; 02-28-2017 at 04:53 PM.
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

  16. #14
    Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    72,885.77
    Gender
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-25-2017 05:03 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Twilight Zone
    Threads
    394
    Posts
    3,470
    Rep Power
    221

    Default Re: Recommendations of american - made animes?

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime-...nced_animation


    Megas XLR

    Code Lyoko

    Puffy Ami Yumi

    Kubo and the Two Strings

    Teen Titans

    Transformers


    Street Fighter (TV Series)

    Mortal Kombat (TV Series)

    Legend of Zelda (TV Series)

    Super mario (TV Series)

    Captain N

    ReBoot

    Samurai Jack

    Teenage mutant Ninja Turtles (They did a crossover with Power Rangers)

    Power Rangers

    Samurai Pizza Cats

    Voltron

    He-man

    She-ra

    Jem and the Holograms

    X-men

    Blade

    ironman

    My little Pony (manga)

    Staw Wars/trek (manga)

    Supernatural (anime)

    Kappa Mikey

    Speed Racer (Movie)

    Animatrix

    Xiaolin Showdown

    Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go!

    Stitch (The anime)

    Kingdom hearts

    Darkstalkers (TV Series)

    Mighty max

    Drawn Together

    Godzilla

    American Dragon Jake Long

    Batman Beyond

    Power Puff Girls Z

    Xena (Last Episode)

    Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland

    Kill bill

    Gargoyles

    Lady Death

    Dragon Wars

    Go Bots!

    http://www.megatokyo.com/

    www.sinfest.net





    Last edited by Clayton_n; 03-01-2017 at 06:14 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

    Author of "How to Be an Anime Character" and "Lesbian Fairy Tales" available from Amazon.com

  17. #15
    Member Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu's Avatar
    Gil
    1,649.88
    Gender
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-12-2017 12:02 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Threads
    2
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Recommendations of american - made animes?

    The very first definition I could find defining medium was: "an agency or means of doing something." Seeing as anime is just animation, it is a sub branch of a medium. Furthermore, I find it very convenient how you left out a significant branch of my argument based around how flawed your definition of anime is.

    I would argue that some American made animation is anime because it has more taken from anime in terms of animation style and character design than from Western animation. Being semi-realistic and taking from eastern culture like Avatar doesn't make it anime, because although it has some mild similarities, and is eastern, it isn't trying to emulate Japanese animation style. Where as RWBY is very clearly trying to be anime, a lot of it boils down to intent. Because it's based off of Japanese animation, I'd say it's basically anime. This is why I'd also include Korean and Chinese animation, like Spiritpact (which you shouldn't watch because it's trash) as anime as well. It clearly is derivative of Japanese animation.

    Not only does this definition basically match what most people would call anime, it also makes a lot of sense. If the intention is to create something based on Japanese style (which no matter what style, is considered anime), then it's practically the same as an anime, and it seems the same as anime, and it's written similarly to anime. So why can't it be anime?

    I feel that a lot of this strict definition of only Japanese things that people often tote is simply because people have grown frustrated explaining how Avatar, or Korra isn't an anime, and in the end they just grow frustrated and come up with the simplest definition possible. Then they're confronted with Korean animation based off of Manhua or Japanese games, and they don't know what to do, or even though they recognize that it's basically the exact same thing as Japanese animation, they feel this dissonance with how they define animation. This definition both encompasses thematic, artistic, cultural, and regional ideas when it comes to an animated product.

    Unless you legitimately don't believe Korean and Chinese animation is anime, then I guess you're a purist and can stick to your own definitions. I however have no qualms with saying that they're the same thing.

  18. #16
    Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    72,885.77
    Gender
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-25-2017 05:03 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Twilight Zone
    Threads
    394
    Posts
    3,470
    Rep Power
    221

    Default Re: Recommendations of american - made animes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raycu View Post
    The very first definition I could find defining medium was: "an agency or means of doing something." Seeing as anime is just animation, it is a sub branch of a medium. Furthermore, I find it very convenient how you left out a significant branch of my argument based around how flawed your definition of anime is.

    I would argue that some American made animation is anime because it has more taken from anime in terms of animation style and character design than from Western animation. Being semi-realistic and taking from eastern culture like Avatar doesn't make it anime, because although it has some mild similarities, and is eastern, it isn't trying to emulate Japanese animation style. Where as RWBY is very clearly trying to be anime, a lot of it boils down to intent. Because it's based off of Japanese animation, I'd say it's basically anime. This is why I'd also include Korean and Chinese animation, like Spiritpact (which you shouldn't watch because it's trash) as anime as well. It clearly is derivative of Japanese animation.

    Not only does this definition basically match what most people would call anime, it also makes a lot of sense. If the intention is to create something based on Japanese style (which no matter what style, is considered anime), then it's practically the same as an anime, and it seems the same as anime, and it's written similarly to anime. So why can't it be anime?

    I feel that a lot of this strict definition of only Japanese things that people often tote is simply because people have grown frustrated explaining how Avatar, or Korra isn't an anime, and in the end they just grow frustrated and come up with the simplest definition possible. Then they're confronted with Korean animation based off of Manhua or Japanese games, and they don't know what to do, or even though they recognize that it's basically the exact same thing as Japanese animation, they feel this dissonance with how they define animation. This definition both encompasses thematic, artistic, cultural, and regional ideas when it comes to an animated product.

    Unless you legitimately don't believe Korean and Chinese animation is anime, then I guess you're a purist and can stick to your own definitions. I however have no qualms with saying that they're the same thing.

    made in korea. based on Spirited Away





    little nemo!




    Godzilla






    Seriously guys, this argumewnt is silly. Anime can be made ANYWHERE!


    The word is Japanese for "Cartoon". Yes there's a style, but it's fluid. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go watch "Dead Leaves"
    Last edited by Clayton_n; 03-01-2017 at 05:16 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

    Author of "How to Be an Anime Character" and "Lesbian Fairy Tales" available from Amazon.com

  19. #17
    Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    89,511.49
    Gender
    Gifts Orange Dango Potato Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    375 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-13-2017 09:02 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    24
    Threads
    500
    Posts
    9,432
    Blog Entries
    106
    Rep Power
    8269

    Default Re: Recommendations of american - made animes?

    @Raycu - Your post was a ramble, true. Though, you further ruined your thesis by (funny how you said I did) by ignoring my stance on the medium and how I would argue all anime is cartoon and all cartoon is anime.

    I mean, your last small paragraph really sums up how bad your argument is when you point the finger at me and claim I wouldn't consider korean/chinese animation is anime when I literally said "I would debate all anime are cartoon and all cartoon are anime" so I can't be a purist.


    The rest of your argument is a flawed platform because you're trying to claim only some animation can be anime which are the ones that fit your flawed thesis and platform is complete bias. This is where your argument falls on deaf ears because is makes absolutely no sense at all and the rest of your post is just a long ramble of absolutely nothing noteworthy. Not to mention you repeated yourself and completely disregarded me saying animation is a sub-genre as well and anime is still a medium.


    At the end of the day, I am willing to call all cartoon anime and all anime cartoon. The purist you call me and the one you point fingers at is the beast that is actually you, not me. The irony is real.

    ---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Raycu View Post
    I honestly don't count Avatar and a lot of French animation as anime because it departs so heavily from Japanese stylization at times, and also has heavy Western influence. However, something like RWBY seems close enough to anime that I would consider it anime. Honestly, there's not a good way to define anime aside from a style, so I just look at how it's done and decide based off that. Avatar, heavily anime influenced? Yes. Anime, not in my subjective opinion. It's just like impressionistic, post impressionistic, hyper realistic, photo realistic and abstract art. People are going to argue a lot about it even though there's very little in how to define it.


    Anime is NOT A STYLE! Plenty of Japanese animation that are called anime don't have the cliche style many believe anime is known for. RWBY is not an anime due to its stylization. It might be anime the same reason Rugrats is anime though. Its a cartoon.
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

  20. #18
    Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    72,885.77
    Gender
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-25-2017 05:03 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Twilight Zone
    Threads
    394
    Posts
    3,470
    Rep Power
    221

    Default Re: Recommendations of american - made animes?

    Look up the stuff on that list up there


    I think a big part of the schism between anime and American cartoons was what anime could get away with in story and animation and what they could not even show when they shipped to America. By the time 4kids and the like was done with Dargonball (Holy Smokes!) and Sailor Moon (they're not gay kids, they're just cousins!) we all wanted a clear delineation between "cartoons" and "anime". Sort of like why "furries" are different from "bestiality". After all a lot of anime's style is based on Disney and Warner brothers (See: Jessica Rabbit). Plus saying anime means you don't have to explain to most people "Japanese cartoons". That got old fast when Pokemon became popular.


    Now that American Cartoons beyond say stuff like Heavy Metal the movie http://gatesthecomic.com/wp-content/...hal-hefner.jpg , can do the same things and use the same styles of art people stopped caring about that. Well anyone who isn't crazy and obsessed with minutia to the point that they become a foam-mouthed psycho over fictional characters. There is even some overlap in voice acting. Veronica taylor and the guy who does the American voice of Goku (yes I know who he is. i'll give you a hint. his first name is Sean. ) were both in Teenage Mutant ninja Turtles. A lot of cartoons do anime parodies and vice versa. Seriously, the line no longer matters.

    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,203,200_.jpg









    now that that's out of the way, keep in mind the topic of this thread is a request for recommendations for american-Made anime. Not whether or not anime can be made outside of japan. There are about 30 other threads for that.


    Either recommend some of you're derailing the topic.
    Last edited by Clayton_n; 03-01-2017 at 06:17 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

    Author of "How to Be an Anime Character" and "Lesbian Fairy Tales" available from Amazon.com

  21. #19
    Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    89,511.49
    Gender
    Gifts Orange Dango Potato Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    375 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-13-2017 09:02 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    24
    Threads
    500
    Posts
    9,432
    Blog Entries
    106
    Rep Power
    8269

    Default Re: Recommendations of american - made animes?

    @Clayton_n - Don't worry about the topic being derailed. These discussions are good for this forum and we are still discussing what can be considered "American Anime" so we're still on topic anyway.

    I don't think the OP cares and these debates give me a reason to login to this website. Actually, @Raycu is a good member too.
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

  22. #20
    Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    72,885.77
    Gender
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-25-2017 05:03 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Twilight Zone
    Threads
    394
    Posts
    3,470
    Rep Power
    221

    Default Re: Recommendations of american - made animes?

    Yeah, but by defending the integrity of the topic I, and those who do at least list a few American animes, come off looking like the cool headed and rational ones when the next rabid psycho comes in screaming about how anime can only be made in japan.

    I'm not the evil overlord around here for nothing.



    So can you recommend any American made anime I haven't already put on that list up there? Keeping in mind that Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century was made in Scotland.


    TotallY Spies?



    Astro boy?



    Big hero 6? The Famous Five? When Marnie Was There? The Secret of Ariety? the Legend of Earthsea?


    Shirley you can come up with something.
    Last edited by Clayton_n; 03-01-2017 at 06:26 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

    Author of "How to Be an Anime Character" and "Lesbian Fairy Tales" available from Amazon.com

  23. #21
    Member Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu has a reputation beyond repute Raycu's Avatar
    Gil
    1,649.88
    Gender
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-12-2017 12:02 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Threads
    2
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Recommendations of american - made animes?

    I honestly can parse no meaning in this body of text so I'm just gonna drop it.

  24. #22
    Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    72,885.77
    Gender
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-25-2017 05:03 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Twilight Zone
    Threads
    394
    Posts
    3,470
    Rep Power
    221

    Default Re: Recommendations of american - made animes?

    Now I was going to mention Gotham Knight, Aeon Flux, Perfect Hair, Resident Evil, Thundercats, and Hello Kitty... but then I saw something that I think we're all going to be seeing at the end of this month. Thank you Scarlet Johansen!

    Ghost int eh Shell: The Movie!

    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

    Author of "How to Be an Anime Character" and "Lesbian Fairy Tales" available from Amazon.com

  25. #23
    Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    34,059.00
    Gender
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-27-2017 08:38 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Earth
    Threads
    132
    Posts
    1,180
    Rep Power
    41

    Default Re: Recommendations of american - made animes?

    Now if an animated cartoon was created, written and developed by Americans, but animated in Japan in the anime style, do you consider it American or Japanese? If both, is it primarily American because it was created by Americans? Or primarily Japanese because that is where the artwork was done.

  26. #24
    Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    72,885.77
    Gender
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-25-2017 05:03 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Twilight Zone
    Threads
    394
    Posts
    3,470
    Rep Power
    221

    Default Re: Recommendations of american - made animes?

    Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    Now if an animated cartoon was created, written and developed by Americans, but animated in Japan in the anime style, do you consider it American or Japanese? If both, is it primarily American because it was created by Americans? Or primarily Japanese because that is where the artwork was done.
    You just described season 1 of Gargoyles and "Lady Death".

    Kappa Mikey was the story of an American Cartoon Character who got a job starring in an anime. Goku's English voice actor was in it.
    Last edited by Clayton_n; 03-16-2017 at 04:23 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

    Author of "How to Be an Anime Character" and "Lesbian Fairy Tales" available from Amazon.com

  27. #25
    Moderator Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv's Avatar
    Gil
    1,446,146.47
    Gender
    Gifts Be Mine Alfa Romeo Spider JTS Mario Blue Shell
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-01-2017 08:24 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Threads
    592
    Posts
    3,095
    Blog Entries
    342
    AW Wallpapers
    20
    Rep Power
    6124

    Default Re: Recommendations of american - made animes?

    Last Airbender
    Korra

    Now, I have some more, they arent strictly anime, but they have heavy anime influences.

    Steven Universe: If you exclude the overly comedic elements, it bridges a gap between a Shoujo/Shounen typed themes. You have magical powers, you have increasing power levels, exotic enemies to fight in strange places. It has some very strong character development to it and is really worth the watch. The comedy episodes are kind of boring, but the lore of the Homeworld Invasion of Earth, Crystal Gems etc keeps you hooked.

    Samurai Jack: How can we not list this? Its a Samurai fighting a demon who casts him into the future and he fights to get back to the past. Season 5 just started and its much darker than before and just plain excellent. Absolutely worth it.

    RWBY: In the world of Remnant, evil creatures called Grimm attack humans and a group of young women are training to become Huntresses to fight them. The world gets bigger and more interesting as the series progresses through seasons 1-3. Season 4 is kind of slow and really seems to set a larger world engulfing stage, but even so its one of the better written stories I've seen and paces itself well.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Changes made to the American Version
    By Clayton_n in forum General Anime & Manga
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2013, 03:28 PM
  2. need recommendations for animes to watch
    By Erasmus Bollins in forum Miscellaneous Miscellany
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 05:45 AM
  3. Recommendations for awesome animes.
    By hougokyo in forum General Anime & Manga
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2010, 01:59 PM
  4. Recommendations for Slice of life/Romance/Comedy animes?
    By Paperwings in forum General Anime & Manga
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 02:08 PM
  5. American Animes
    By AmberHeart in forum General Anime & Manga
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 04-21-2007, 06:52 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts