AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is Kubo anime?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 22.22%
  • No

7 77.78%
  • Undecided

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is Kubo anime?

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-19-2024 05:34 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Is Kubo anime?

This summer a movie called Kubo involving a young man searching for his father's suit of Samurai armor and uses his magic.

Does it count as anime? Why or why not?

Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Senior Member Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-26-2022 02:21 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is Kubo anime?

I guess?? Technically, isn't it clay-mation? To me, anime references to animation in general. Of course there's also the point that the word 'anime' used outside of Japan can reference only works made in there. I mean RWBY, while made here in the US, is still considered an anime to many. To cut it short, I say yes.

RWBY

/v|;/|/|) `|`}{;(-'/-'' daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-13-2016 05:43 PM

not to me. ive never considered other stop-animation movies such as the nightmare before christmas "anime"
    feed your monster

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by daft View Post
    not to me. ive never considered other stop-animation movies such as the nightmare before christmas "anime"
    Ahem...

This could be the first... unless you count Coraline.
    Last edited by Clayton_n; 08-12-2016 at 04:27 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

/v|;/|/|) `|`}{;(-'/-'' daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    Ahem...

This could be the first... unless you count Coraline.
    a screen capture of the game kingdom hearts showing jack skellington, goofy, and sora...
    so what are you saying? because jack, goofy and a bunch of other memorable disney characters are in a video game with anime-looking characters, those memorable disney characters should be considered as anime?

an anime cartoon that uses stop-animation in its ending credits...
    are you implying because this anime cartoon used stop-animation in their ending credits, movies like coraline and the nightmare before christmas are anime?

hmmm, intriguing. i'm interested in knowing why you think the new movie kubo is anime too. please enlighten me
    feed your monster

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

a screen capture of the game kingdom hearts showing jack skellington, goofy, and sora...
    so what are you saying? because jack, goofy and a bunch of other memorable disney characters are in a video game with anime-looking characters, those memorable disney characters should be considered as anime?

an anime cartoon that uses stop-animation in its ending credits...
    are you implying because this anime cartoon used stop-animation in their ending credits, movies like coraline and the nightmare before christmas are anime?

hmmm, intriguing. i'm interested in knowing why you think the new movie kubo is anime too. please enlighten me

Well it's based on Japanese mythology and it is animated. Claymation is still animation in which they take figures and show them one cell at a time in an optical illusion that makes us the viewer imagine that they are moving and talking. The same holds true for CGI and there are MANY CGI anime. Also movies based on anime count in my book.

Technically I rarely differentiate. As far as I'm concerned things done in the anime style are anime, regardless of country of origin. The first season of Gargoyles was made in Japan as was the movie "Lady Death", but those were done in the Disney and comic book style. Meanwhile Megas XLR and various Transformers series/movies are made here, but still count as anime. Shiah Lebouf (Sp?) actually made fun of it in the first movie.

As for Kingdom Hearts it was also a manga. So was the Nightmare Before Christmas

Labyrith the movie had a sequel made that was a manga too. So again rather than get bogged down in where something was made I stick to looking at the style it's made in.

7. Likes daft liked this post
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    Well it's based on Japanese mythology and it is animated. Claymation is still animation in which they take figures and show them one cell at a time in an optical illusion that makes us the viewer imagine that they are moving and talking. The same holds true for CGI and there are MANY CGI anime. Also movies based on anime count in my book.

Technically I rarely differentiate. As far as I'm concerned things done in the anime style are anime, regardless of country of origin. The first season of Gargoyles was made in Japan as was the movie "Lady Death", but those were done in the Disney and comic book style. Meanwhile Megas XLR and various Transformers series/movies are made here, but still count as anime. Shiah Lebouf (Sp?) actually made fun of it in the first movie.

As for Kingdom Hearts it was also a manga. So was the Nightmare Before Christmas

Labyrith the movie had a sequel made that was a manga too. So again rather than get bogged down in where something was made I stick to looking at the style it's made in.
    oh okay. so by your logic or definition, if japan has had its hand in it, it falls under anime to you. that's interesting. by the way, i'm not denying that claymation is animation, because it certainly is. it's just that i personally can't view such animations as kubo or the nightmare before christmas as anime simply because they're based on japanese mythology or have been adapted into a manga. i don't feel that's enough of a basis for them to be considered anime to me. but hey, that's just the way i see it in my book. i believe anime has different definitions to different people who watch it. it doesn't really have one absolute way of being defined

thank you for your explanation. oh and yes, i agree with you that some things can be anime regardless of country of origin. i too look for a particular style in which i identify it as
    feed your monster

Senior Member Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-19-2019 04:46 PM
    Threads

Not really, this looks like one of those Pixar type 3D movies and is no more of a anime than South Park!
    PS, maybe it is one of those Claymation animations, but it looks more like a digitized #D movie to me actually.
    Last edited by Peppermint Hearts; 08-14-2016 at 04:51 PM.

Senior Member Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts 007 - Squirtle 258 - Mudkip Gabumon
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-11-2024 08:40 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'm not a fan of stop-motion animation, but it looks like a fun film one could watch on Bluray. Nevertheless, I don't think it's an anime. Did it tank at the box office?
    My Wi-Fi, it's gone out . . .

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

oh okay. so by your logic or definition, if japan has had its hand in it, it falls under anime to you.
    WHAT!? That's the exact opposite of what I said!

I said if it LOOKS like anime, is based on anime/manga, or is made into an anime/manga then it's anime. Like I said, it's about the style, not what country it's made in. And Kubo is definitely anime style.

Quote Originally Posted by Digimon___Sommelier View Post
    I'm not a fan of stop-motion animation, but it looks like a fun film one could watch on Bluray. Nevertheless, I don't think it's an anime. Did it tank at the box office?
    It doesn't come out until friday.
    Last edited by Clayton_n; 08-15-2016 at 12:21 PM.

Senior Member Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts 007 - Squirtle 258 - Mudkip Gabumon
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-11-2024 08:40 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Oh. Hope it does well before it comes to DVD. It seems like an underdog film. I'm rooting for you, Kubo!! xD
    My Wi-Fi, it's gone out . . .

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Coraline, ParaNorman, and a few other claymation films have done pretty well int he last few years.

Last edited by Clayton_n; 08-17-2016 at 04:17 PM.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Saw it yesterday. It's definitely anime and one of the best movies of the summer. It made the lady next to me cry. I actually felt a twinge of emotion myself

Junior Member MyDistance is on a distinguished road MyDistance's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-31-2016 10:27 AM
    Threads

I think this is similar to a debate I saw a while back regarding regarding The Last Airbender and Korra. While it takes references from japanese culture or mythology, TLA and Korra are not considered animes because it was written by Americans and animated by Koreans. I am not too sure about this movie, but a conclusion may be able to be drawn if looked at with this prospective. The word anime is simply put as japanese animation. If it was not animated by a japanese studio, I don't think it would be considered an anime, even if the animation style borrows from that of Japan. Well, this is what I have come to understand anyways.
    Last edited by MyDistance; 08-25-2016 at 03:48 PM.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Did anyone watch it besides me?

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Anyone?

Member kaufen is on a distinguished road kaufen's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-29-2017 06:05 AM
    Threads

To cut it short, I say yes.
    Last edited by kaufen; 06-12-2017 at 07:43 AM.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Glad to see someone else actually watched it!

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-22-2024 09:27 AM
    Threads

I consider anime to be a specific animation genre, and this ain't it.

If you consider anime to be any animation made in Japan, this ain't it either. I see no Japanese names in the production credits: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4302938/combined

But now I know what Kubo and the Two Strings is. They even use music from George Harrison.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information