Rozen Maiden is a gem lost in a world full of more known titles and will be if not yet a classic. While some of taken jabs at this series for not following the source material and being supposed lolibait, I for one must tell everyone that Rozen Maiden is NOT lolibait and sometimes seperating yourself from source material can work. True, it can be extremely risky and may very well end in complete failure as multiple mediums have proved that very thing, but what if the material is both good and really entertaining? Ladies and folks, you get Rozen Maiden.

When I first started Rozen Maiden a few years back I in all honesty was not sure if it was my thing because up until late 2012 I was a heavy action and DBZ fan, but any doubt ended when got a few episodes in. Firstly, the story in itself is not completely unique to only Rozen Maiden and idea of being the last one of many standing exists in other titles such as Btooom and Zatch Bell, though judging from how Rozen Maiden operates I feel like the better comparison from the two is surely Zatch Bell. Quickly, enter Jun. Jun is a complete shut-in and has suffered trauma from negative experiences from kids at his school. I feel like middle schoolers or even high schoolers who have trouble fitting in with the society that is school can relate to the guy. I mean, who hasn't been bullied at least once? Continuing on, Jun has the hobby of ordering quite unusual stuff from the web and this is where the story begins to unfold as Jun is given a choice and that choice eventually will change his life as he must participate in the Alice Game and help his partner and blonde doll Shinku win the competition.

You could say the art in Rozen Maiden is somewhat bland, but actually I disagree. While not on the level of the stunning EF: Memories, I really feel like it was good and fine as it was. Rozen Maiden from 2004 just didn't need all of that, though for 2004 I thought it looked mighty fine and appealing. Now, what about the sound? Firstly, both the dubs and subs rock so watch it as you please. Secondly, those openings really are extremely catchy. Are you a fan of the Another opening? Well, check out this tune then because its done by the same people.

Rozen Maiden has a good story, appealing sound and look, but what about the characters? Are they worthy of a positive feedback? Well, that's the thing. Rozen Maiden's colorful set of characters ranging from Jun all the way to my personal favorite Suigintou really makes the anime great. It becomes a journey watching Jun mature, Shinku changing and even seeing Suigintou for who she truly is and was. This is anime at its finest and characters that are top notch. The character development that spans 26 episodes really does this anime justice.

The enjoyment I got from Rozen Maiden was beyond words. Maybe it wasn't as soothing as Aria, as smart as Monogatari or as groundbreaking as Madoka Magica, but being smart or powerful doesn't always relate to enjoyment. Rozen Maiden proves just that.

Overall? 10/10, easy. If you have yet to try Rozen Maiden due to the following reasons:

- Looks like lolibait
- 2004 seems old
- Does not follow source material

Please give it a chance. You may end up finding a gem hidden under your nose. I'm done, make me some tea Jun.