AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [News] The final bits for Windows 10 is up for grabs

Copyright © 2013 FS FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD's Avatar
    Gil
    Lonely
    Gifts Fuuko Starfish Ice Cream Bamboo Cup
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-19-2023 07:16 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Default [News] The final bits for Windows 10 is up for grabs

Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft
    Our vision was one platform, one store, and one experience that extends across the broadest range of devices from the smallest screens to the largest screens to no screens at all.
    Full article here.

It's finally here, according to Microsoft, the latest and the greatest Windows to date. Windows 10 was delivered to the public on July 28th and in 24 hours, over 14 million people upgraded to it. During the weekend I have finally found the time to upgrade myself too and here is what's to come:
    • Windows as a Service: Microsoft has decided to change how they license their operating system. From now on, you won't have to go buy a new OS every couple years, but they are going to upgrade your existing installation as new versions arrive. This is the same model Redmond is using to deliver the subscription based Office 2013, better known as Office 365. The pros are that this model makes sure your OS is always up to date, but can break things. Users using older applications and drivers can simply find themselves without a working device or app, due to a sudden upgrade.
    • The START button: After a failed attempt to make users forget about the clickable Windows logo, they are bringing it back. It's not the same START button as in Windows 7, not similar even. It's a totally new design with totally new pros and cons. I have never used much of the old button's features, so I'm not sure what the cons are, but one big pro is that now you have a lot more space to pin apps to ... and it's stylish as well.
    • The notification center: It is what it says. It keeps all the notifications in one place. This ranges from Skype messages, all the way to system notifications and emails. The best part are the quick buttons. They let you enable Wi-Fi, connect to your favorite device or simply open Settings quickly and hassle free.
    • Windows Hello: Because a fingerprint reader, a password, a PIN code and an image password aren't enough, now with Windows Hello you can just smile at your camera (if backed up by appropriate hardware) and it lets you log-in. Nifty, right!? Windows Hello is a new feature that lets you use your face as the password ... and no, a photograph will not work.
    • Cortana: Microsoft's digital assistant is welcoming you to Windows 10. It can read and compose e-mail messages, make reminders, predict the future (some of it) by telling you about a traffic jam, the weather and some other stuff or simply tell you a joke.
    • Continuum: If you have a 2-in-1 tablet, the OS switches from tablet mode to desktop mode automatically. The two modes differ in screen optimization. In desktop mode the user experience is optimized for mouse and keyboard (Windows 7 like), while in tablet mode the user interface adapts for touch with bigger menus and less clutter (Windows 8 like).
    • Microsoft Edge: Internet Explorer is old, full of junk and with a 20 years old core. This is the new IE, a better IE, built from the ground up and made for today. So far it's rather limiting, but very promising. The only drawback that I've found is lack of a plug-in system and a proper ad blocker. Both features are supposed to be added, one even before October. Other than that, I really have nothing to whine about. The full Internet Explorer 11 still comes with the OS, but it's meant only for businesses with mission critical pages that are incompatible with Edge.
    • Universal Apps: This is a new backend. It allows to make an app for one system and easily port it to a wide variety of other systems. This means Android -> Windows, Windows -> Android, iOS -> Windows and so on. You get the idea. Hopefully this will bring some life to the MS Store.

Windows 10 is going to be the last Windows as we know it and it's free for users running Windows 7 or newer. If you don't like it, you have 30 days to return to the old OS. I still recommend you to go grab it before the free offer runs out and stick with it (10 years of free upgrades is a nice offer). Right now, it's a bit buggy and the apps running on the universal app code can crash, but unless you need the Settings window every day, it's as stable as Windows 7 and with better features. The upgrade method is easy; update your current Windows version via Windows Update until the "Get Windows 10" app shows up in your taskbar and then reserve the upgrade. Once ready for your device, you will be notified by the same app that your upgrade bits are ready. Be aware that this is the only way that you will be notified. No emails will be sent, so watch for scam.

I hope that you are going to enjoy your version of the new OS. Cheers.

2. Thanks someoneofforumpast thanked for this post
    Likes someoneofforumpast liked this post
    how 2 u sociul plz? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Gifts Ice Cream Ice Cream Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-22-2017 11:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: [News] The final bits for Windows 10 is up for grabs

My computer is still waiting for the upgrade to download.

July 28th my donkey. :l
    : The Game. You just lost it. :

My signature was so old it broke. RIP signature.

Copyright © 2013 FS FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD's Avatar
    Gil
    Lonely
    Gifts Fuuko Starfish Ice Cream Bamboo Cup
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-19-2023 07:16 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Default Re: [News] The final bits for Windows 10 is up for grabs

The download process is divided into waves. Not everyone are able to get it the same day. I was able to upgrade, because I had the DVD. Patience, my friend.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information