AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What are you thoughts on current-gen so far?

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default What are you thoughts on current-gen so far?

I'm a bit bored and the forum needs more threads, so going to try to make a decent one. Let's share our opinions on the current gen + PC. I can already smell some trolls but should be a fun discussion regardless. So...

Wii U: This isn't Nintendo's best console, even Iwata admitted this. Third party support is dead and it even lacks many first-party titles, and some of them aren't even big hits. (Mario Part 10 for example)

But it does have really good first-party titles like Bayonetta 2, Zelda Musou, Captain Toad, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. Wii U, and arguably Kirby: The Rainbow Curse. It was fun but not my type of game.

To me, the Wii U is like a side-kick. It's a great companion to your PS4, Xbox One, and PC but as a hardcore gamer, it doesn't satisfy. It's definitely a must get system.

Nintendo Network is barebones.

____

PS4: Being a PC Gamer, I personally got it for the exclusives. It has quality titles, like Bloodborne. For multi-plats, factually, its the best "console" for it. So if I wasn't gaming on PC, the PS4 would do the job.

It has a big library of titles like Samurai Warriors 4, Akiba's Trip 2 (until it releases on Steam), One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 (until it releases on Steam), God Eater 2, Dragon Quest Heroes. Infamous Second Son, Infamous First Light, Bloodborne, Driveclub, Guilty Gear Xrd, LittleBigPlanet 3, Senran Kagura Estival Versus, The Order 1886, The Last of Us, Samurai Warriors 4-II, and Omega Quintet. Probably forgetting a few. (excluding the gimmick bs)

It has the most games I am interested in, so it's definitely my favorite consoles. Sadly, unlike past generations, Japanese developers are more opened about making games on PC so owning a PS4 for me is becoming moot. Regardless I am happy with my purchase tho since I can still enjoy most games I am interested in. And in the case of games like One Piece Pirate Warriors 3, I can enjoy the Japanese version on PS4 before getting the North American version on PC.

PSN is okay though. Shouldn't be a paid service though.

____

Xbox One: Unlike the Xbox 360, the Xbox One is the inferior system when it comes to multiplats. It has a handful of games exclusives D4 (it counts until its officially released on PC). Killer Instinct, Halo MCC,, Forza 5, and Forza Horizon 2. It also Halo 5 and Phantom Dust. Probably forgetting a few. (excluding the Kinect bs)

Chaos;child can count until the PS4 version is out. Psycho Pass and Rise of the Tomb Rider until the inevitable PC/PS4 versions are announced.

Obviously it deserves second place in the console market. It isn't better than the PS4 but it is better than the Wii U, in the scenario that you can only get one system that is.

Sadly Halo MCC is still broken, even the tournament had to be cancelled.

Sadly, with Windows 10 being cross-buy with Xbox One, the system may lose exclusives, so there could potentially be less games to play on the system. Microsoft isn't stupid though, Halo 5 will remain an Xbox One exclusive.

Xbox Live, just like PSN, isn't worth the money.

__

PC: Best Graphics. Best Performance. Mods. Longevity. You aren't tied to use one service (you are free to use Steam, Origin or uPlay). It's free.

PC is more affordable nowadays. If you can afford a PS4 or Xbox One, or even BOTH and blindly pay for PSN or Xbox Live every year, then you have no excuse not to game on a PC, tbh. If you're the US, that is. Unless you have friends that only game on console then that's cool.

___

TL;DR

Forum needs threads.

PC > PS4 > Xbox One > Wii U

Wii U is a must get console and a great companion for the other three.
    Last edited by Hanamaru Kunikida; 05-06-2015 at 12:09 AM.

Senior Member Lightfighter has a reputation beyond repute Lightfighter has a reputation beyond repute Lightfighter has a reputation beyond repute Lightfighter has a reputation beyond repute Lightfighter has a reputation beyond repute Lightfighter has a reputation beyond repute Lightfighter has a reputation beyond repute Lightfighter has a reputation beyond repute Lightfighter has a reputation beyond repute Lightfighter has a reputation beyond repute Lightfighter has a reputation beyond repute Lightfighter's Avatar
    Gil
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-16-2022 08:51 PM
    Threads

Default Re: What are you thoughts on current-gen so far?

I am very happy with my Xbox One, it does everything I need. The graphics look outstanding to my untrained eyes, the UI is intuitive, Xbox Video is great.. the list goes on. Plus, I just like the xbox controller. The only thing I want is bluetooth connectivity for a hands free headset.

I'll probably pick up a PS4 down the road so I can experience The Last of Us.

As a long time PC gamer, I am done with it indefinitely. I want to just sit back in my couch and conveniently/comfortably play on the big screen. I don't want to hunch over a PC anymore.

These days, I'm a casual gamer. I use my xbox for netflix and other entertainment apps about as much as I use it for games.
    Last edited by Lightfighter; 05-06-2015 at 01:36 AM.

Member Ourobus has a reputation beyond repute Ourobus has a reputation beyond repute Ourobus has a reputation beyond repute Ourobus has a reputation beyond repute Ourobus has a reputation beyond repute Ourobus has a reputation beyond repute Ourobus has a reputation beyond repute Ourobus has a reputation beyond repute Ourobus has a reputation beyond repute Ourobus has a reputation beyond repute Ourobus has a reputation beyond repute Ourobus's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-16-2016 10:16 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou+ View Post
    I'm a bit bored and the forum needs more threads, so going to try to make a decent one. Let's share our opinions on the current gen + PC. I can already smell some trolls but should be a fun discussion regardless. So...

Wii U: This isn't Nintendo's best console, even Iwata admitted this. Third party support is dead and it even lacks many first-party titles, and some of them aren't even big hits. (Mario Part 10 for example)

But it does have really good first-party titles like Bayonetta 2, Zelda Musou, Captain Toad, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. Wii U, and arguably Kirby: The Rainbow Curse. It was fun but not my type of game.

To me, the Wii U is like a side-kick. It's a great companion to your PS4, Xbox One, and PC but as a hardcore gamer, it doesn't satisfy. It's definitely a must get system.

Nintendo Network is barebones.

____

PS4: Being a PC Gamer, I personally got it for the exclusives. It has quality titles, like Bloodborne. For multi-plats, factually, its the best "console" for it. So if I wasn't gaming on PC, the PS4 would do the job.

It has a big library of titles like Samurai Warriors 4, Akiba's Trip 2 (until it releases on Steam), One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 (until it releases on Steam), God Eater 2, Dragon Quest Heroes. Infamous Second Son, Infamous First Light, Bloodborne, Driveclub, Guilty Gear Xrd, LittleBigPlanet 3, Senran Kagura Estival Versus, The Order 1886, The Last of Us, Samurai Warriors 4-II, and Omega Quintet. Probably forgetting a few. (excluding the gimmick bs)

It has the most games I am interested in, so it's definitely my favorite consoles. Sadly, unlike past generations, Japanese developers are more opened about making games on PC so owning a PS4 for me is becoming moot. Regardless I am happy with my purchase tho since I can still enjoy most games I am interested in. And in the case of games like One Piece Pirate Warriors 3, I can enjoy the Japanese version on PS4 before getting the North American version on PC.

PSN is okay though. Shouldn't be a paid service though.

____

Xbox One: Unlike the Xbox 360, the Xbox One is the inferior system when it comes to multiplats. It has a handful of games exclusives D4 (it counts until its officially released on PC). Killer Instinct, Halo MCC,, Forza 5, and Forza Horizon 2. It also Halo 5 and Phantom Dust. Probably forgetting a few. (excluding the Kinect bs)

Chaos;child can count until the PS4 version is out. Psycho Pass and Rise of the Tomb Rider until the inevitable PC/PS4 versions are announced.

Obviously it deserves second place in the console market. It isn't better than the PS4 but it is better than the Wii U, in the scenario that you can only get one system that is.

Sadly Halo MCC is still broken, even the tournament had to be cancelled.

Sadly, with Windows 10 being cross-buy with Xbox One, the system may lose exclusives, so there could potentially be less games to play on the system. Microsoft isn't stupid though, Halo 5 will remain an Xbox One exclusive.

Xbox Live, just like PSN, isn't worth the money.

__

PC: Best Graphics. Best Performance. Mods. Longevity. You aren't tied to use one service (you are free to use Steam, Origin or uPlay). It's free.

PC is more affordable nowadays. If you can afford a PS4 or Xbox One, or even BOTH and blindly pay for PSN or Xbox Live every year, then you have no excuse not to game on a PC, tbh. If you're the US, that is. Unless you have friends that only game on console then that's cool.

___

TL;DR

Forum needs threads.

I think that the current gen needs to start pushing out more exclusives, as they are the main selling point of consoles. Many people despise exclusivity, I myself will buy a console just for a single game if there is something I find interesting (I bought my Wii U for Windwaker HD, I bought my PS4 for Bloodborne, I bought my Xbox One for whenever the new Tomb Raider game comes out, I bought my New 3ds XL for Majora's Mask 3d, and I bought my PS Vita for Persona 4 Golden). I still tend to game on consoles more than my PC simply because they are easy to take with me on trips, handheld or otherwise (maybe with the exception of the Xbone). Regardless of what people may say, consoles do still have their place, yes, they can't live up to a high end PC in sheer power, but good software and optimization still can make a world of difference and they are still more affordable as far as price to performance goes as well. Optimization allows them to do a lot more with a lot less power, if you built a $400 PC it more than likely wouldn't handle the same games you could play on a console at similar or the same graphical fidelity simply due to lack of optimization for the PC. This being the case, I disagree with your stance on PC being more affordable (at least if you're building one that'll get 60fps on every game out at the time of construction) to get proper performance on many games the cheapest you can build a good PC for would be around $1000-$1500 and that probably won't even last you more than 1-2 years at best (as far as graphical prowess, performance in newly released games, etc.). As a final note, no I'm not a console fanboy, I am one of the few that sees the advantages from all fronts (for what it may matter I have a $2500 custom built gaming PC that I put together myself on top of owning all the current gen consoles, just to help preemptively nullify the idea that I might be a console fanboy).

Sunmary:
    I love all the current gen consoles for their exclusives (I will not deny they need more of to do better) and price to performance as well as continuing to love the good old PC. However, I don't see the PC as being more affordable per say, simply due to games not being well optimized for PC (which is the game developers' faults) and based on the fact that you'd have to pay almost double for similar performance out of a PC due to said optimization.

Some Closing Thoughts:
    What it really all comes down to is what platform has the most software you care about on it. For me, if I were forced to choose one console to keep it'd probably be my N3DSXL surprisingly enough, it has built up a ridiculously good software library.

I apologize for the wall of text by the way, it takes a lot of writing to state my opinions at times lol.
    Last edited by Ourobus; 05-07-2015 at 02:49 AM.

how 2 u sociul plz? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Gifts Ice Cream Ice Cream Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-22-2017 11:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

The main problem I have isn't the graphics, but how the systems handle stuff.

PS4 is probably the better console, but goddamn if PSN doesn't suck donkey. PS Store only works for me for 15 minutes after booting up the console and I have to restart it to download patches or games, it took three hours to download a 7GB patch (in comparison it took 10 minutes for me on Xbox), the chat servers randomly hiccup and the game servers the same. I mean, I have my console in DMZ and it says I have moderate NAT, WTF?

Don't have those problems on Xbox. Servers are fast, things are always up, never have any problems with chat parties or NAT. Console rarely spits an error ... but then the UI is rubbish, it took me forever to figure out how to navigate everything and I still can't listen to my own music whilst playing games, Microsoft!!!

I try to avoid playing multiplayer games on PC beyond private games with friends because hackers. >.>

I will agree on the WiiU though. It's a console that should've been out 6 years ago. What it has works great, but there really isn't much beyond that, it's too limited. Mario Kart for days though.
    : The Game. You just lost it. :

My signature was so old it broke. RIP signature.

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

@Ourobus

Yes, games is obviously important but you're speaking from a perspective of someone that has all the systems, I do too so that's why I pitted them individually.

From my opinion, the Wi U alone isn't worthwhile, and it's only purpose is to be a side-console, even Iwata stated this. Having other systems doesn't make the Wii U or the PS Vita any better, granted the Vita's library is a lot bigger than the Wii U's, especially with all the good niche titles, but it isn't as great as the PSP's.

Also, Tomb Raider is a time-exclusive by the way, but we're probably on the same boat and can't wait for it. I'll double dip when it comes to PC.

Overall, I agree with your sentiments. As long as the system has a game I want, I will get it. I don't want to cut myself short as a gamer.

As for the PC part, I would have to disagree. I don't want to crap on your PC knowledge since I'm not even a savyy myself but there's plenty of guides that show that you can build a gaming pc that destroys both the PS4 and Xbox One for the same price, or a little bit more.

Granted, it probably isn't ideal, but hey, as long as it shits on consoles, that's enough in my opinion. Luckily for me, my PC shits on consoles three times over.

I can understand your sentiments on portability though, since taking out a tower isn't as doable as taking your PS4. But that's the only advantage I can see, to an extend, tbh. (Since some PC cases are a small as the PS4, they can be taken to trips, but that depends on the person).

Everything else like using your own controller, not being able to coach play and connect to your TV etc, etc. etc....all the things people claim why the like consoles over PC....PC can do.

There's nothing wrong with liking consoles over PC as long as you know the facts, though. It applies to anything, tbh. You can like X over X as long as you know the facts. Everyone has different preferences.

And I really appreciate you giving a fair reply, actually.

@Ranshiin

Exactly. Nintendo rarely fails when it comes to delivering games despite being the Wii U being the worst Nintendo console and the weakest out of all three. But after playing Splatoon, I'm really glad that I have a Wii U. Granted...no voice chat sucks but its still a good game.

Its a secondary console to me, tbh.
    Last edited by Hanamaru Kunikida; 05-09-2015 at 10:49 PM.

6. Likes Ourobus liked this post
    Member Ourobus has a reputation beyond repute Ourobus has a reputation beyond repute Ourobus has a reputation beyond repute Ourobus has a reputation beyond repute Ourobus has a reputation beyond repute Ourobus has a reputation beyond repute Ourobus has a reputation beyond repute Ourobus has a reputation beyond repute Ourobus has a reputation beyond repute Ourobus has a reputation beyond repute Ourobus has a reputation beyond repute Ourobus's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

@Ourobus

Yes, games is obviously important but you're speaking from a perspective of someone that has all the systems, I do too so that's why I pitted them individually.

From my opinion, the Wi U alone isn't worthwhile, and it's only purpose is to be a side-console, even Iwata stated this. Having other systems doesn't make the Wii U or the PS Vita any better, granted the Vita's library is a lot bigger than the Wii U's, especially with all the good niche titles, but it isn't as great as the PSP's.

Also, Tomb Raider is a time-exclusive by the way, but we're probably on the same boat and can't wait for it. I'll double dip when it comes to PC.

Overall, I agree with your sentiments. As long as the system has a game I want, I will get it. I don't want to cut myself short as a gamer.

As for the PC part, I would have to disagree. I don't want to crap on your PC knowledge since I'm not even a savyy myself but there's plenty of guides that show that you can build a gaming pc that destroys both the PS4 and Xbox One for the same price, or a little bit more.

Granted, it probably isn't ideal, but hey, as long as it shits on consoles, that's enough in my opinion. Luckily for me, my PC shits on consoles three times over.

I can understand your sentiments on portability though, since taking out a tower isn't as doable as taking your PS4. But that's the only advantage I can see, to an extend, tbh. (Since some PC cases are a small as the PS4, they can be taken to trips, but that depends on the person).

Everything else like using your own controller, not being able to coach play and connect to your TV etc, etc. etc....all the things people claim why the like consoles over PC....PC can do.

There's nothing wrong with liking consoles over PC as long as you know the facts, though. It applies to anything, tbh. You can like X over X as long as you know the facts. Everyone has different preferences.

And I really appreciate you giving a fair reply, actually.
    My point with the PC builds isn't that you can't build one for the same price that will be twice as powerful, possibly even more so. It's that companies choose not to optimize their games as well for PC (which is entirely their fault and annoying as hell, just like graphical parity), which causes them to require higher specifications to run well than they should. Therefore, the power of PC parts doesn't go as far as it does with a console since they can fine tune everything about a game for a specific set of hardware on consoles. Point being, your PC almost NEEDS to be twice as powerful (if you're wanting to run everything out at the time of construction at the best graphical settings at a solid 60fps) to get similar performance in a game that shouldn't require that much more power, simply do to bad optimization. As an example of my point, Nintendo manages to optimize their games so well that they can release beautiful games like Mario Kart 8, Windwaker HD, and Super Smash Bros. Wii U, and they still manage to get them to run in full 1080p at 60fps on the disgustingly underpowered Wii U, simply due to them knowing the hardware they are programming for. My overall point here is that at the moment, if you're tight on money, a console is still a much better option, since they can run a lot of the same games better than a PC build with similar specs would be able to (and very likely better than some decently more powerful computers depending on the game). However, once consoles get about halfway to their life cycle and up towards the end, they start to be so heavily outpaced by PCs that they can barely keep up at all, optimization or not, which is the reason for price drops around that point in time.

Also, in response to some of your statements, I'll certainly be double dipping with Tomb Raider as well, I can't wait for it, the first one was just to friggin' good. ^.^

Yes with a PC you could definitely get a laptop or do a Micro-ATX build (which is pretty much what most of the steam machines are) which would be more portable than a console, however you have virtually no room for upgrades in either one of those, which to me defeats the purpose of having a PC, so I typically just choose the console in that department. Not to mention, when you buy a laptop, it costs pretty much double that of the price you'd pay for similar specs on a desktop, which also makes me see it as not worth it.

I definitely agree with you in the controller department, I love being able to decide what I wish to use for specific games on my PC, it's fantastic!

As a final note, I must say that I appreciate you not being argumentative or insulting, it's become way to hard to find people that aren't one, the other, or both on the internet these days which is exactly why I usually don't bother to state my opinions on things. So thank you for the genuine and adult response friend. ^.^
    Last edited by Ourobus; 05-10-2015 at 04:18 PM.

8. Likes Hanamaru Kunikida liked this post
    Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

@Ourobus
    What about in a PS4 + Xbox One + PS Plus + Xbox Live scenario though, which amounts to 750 dollars. Plenty 800 dollars budget PCs are decent enough for that price. Yes, they will miss exclusives but the PS4 and Xbox One aren't backwards compatible.

You aren't wrong about games being badly optimized though, but it isn't really all of them. Just like there's plenty of games that are badly optimized, they are plenty of games that will look even better on PC, obviously. Overall, I do agree that if the person is really on a budget, they should go for consoles, but I don't see why would someone get a console over a PC when they can be more carefree with their money unless they really have preferences or just don't care about the PC benefits.

Like I said, I respect your preferences, but as someone who claimed that owns a 2k+ PC, I believe in this case portability is your only true reason you like consoles? A computer like that can easily run likes butter smooth.

Gil
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

@Ourobus
    What about in a PS4 + Xbox One + PS Plus + Xbox Live scenario though, which amounts to 750 dollars. Plenty 800 dollars budget PCs are decent enough for that price. Yes, they will miss exclusives but the PS4 and Xbox One aren't backwards compatible.

You aren't wrong about games being badly optimized though, but it isn't really all of them. Just like there's plenty of games that are badly optimized, they are plenty of games that will look even better on PC, obviously. Overall, I do agree that if the person is really on a budget, they should go for consoles, but I don't see why would someone get a console over a PC when they can be more carefree with their money unless they really have preferences or just don't care about the PC benefits.

Like I said, I respect your preferences, but as someone who claimed that owns a 2k+ PC, I believe in this case portability is your only true reason you like consoles? A computer like that can easily run likes butter smooth.
    In response the the Xbox Live and Playstation Plus thing, I personally don't play any games online really, give or take a few specific games, in most cases multiplayer just crushes my sense of immersion, therefore I don't buy XBL or PSPlus, nor do I play multiplayer games on my PC often. Also, not that it matters much in my case, since I don't use either service much if at all, you can get a years of Xbox Live gold for $60 (or less if you order from many websites) and you can get a year of PSPlus for $50 (which is also able to be found cheaper on many sites). Basically you can get a year of service from either side for around the price of or less than a single game, (given that you could just buy a game with that money) so it really isn't all that bad. I will certainly agree that if you aren't one of the people that uses the services off and on that you do end up wasting a lot of money in the end for sure, so I guess you can say I agree with your sentiments on that matter overall.

Lastly, my reasons for owning consoles are portability, yes, but also the exclusives, mainly the exclusives. As I said, it can take just one good exclusive game coming out and I'll buy a console just to play it, haha, I'm horrible with money... -.-
    Last edited by Ourobus; 05-12-2015 at 01:59 PM.

Senior Member Metaphasic has a reputation beyond repute Metaphasic has a reputation beyond repute Metaphasic has a reputation beyond repute Metaphasic has a reputation beyond repute Metaphasic has a reputation beyond repute Metaphasic has a reputation beyond repute Metaphasic has a reputation beyond repute Metaphasic has a reputation beyond repute Metaphasic has a reputation beyond repute Metaphasic has a reputation beyond repute Metaphasic has a reputation beyond repute Metaphasic's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-11-2016 03:38 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Metaphasic

Wow...so many walls of text.

Old gen, next gen, this gen, that gen; I just play what I want to play when I feel like playing it. I have honestly never understood the passion with which the gaming community debates various systems. I'm not complaining or denying anybody's right to their opinions, nor am I dismissing the actual debates. I just don't understand it.

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ourobus View Post
    In response the the Xbox Live and Playstation Plus thing, I personally don't play any games online really, give or take a few specific games, in most cases multiplayer just crushes my sense of immersion, therefore I don't buy XBL or PSPlus, nor do I play multiplayer games on my PC often. Also, not that it matters much in my case, since I don't use either service much if at all, you can get a years of Xbox Live gold for $60 (or less if you order from many websites) and you can get a year of PSPlus for $50 (which is also able to be found cheaper on many sites). Basically you can get a year of service from either side for around the price of or less than a single game, (given that you could just buy a game with that money) so it really isn't all that bad. I will certainly agree that if you aren't one of the people that uses the services off and on that you do end up wasting a lot of money in the end for sure, so I guess you can say I agree with your sentiments on that matter overall.

Lastly, my reasons for owning consoles are portability, yes, but also the exclusives, mainly the exclusives. As I said, it can take just one good exclusive game coming out and I'll buy a console just to play it, haha, I'm horrible with money... -.-
    Nah, you missed the entire point. PS+ and Xbox Live for the most part are required, so obviously I was adding it to the cost.

Nah I understand that, and its not like you aren't interested in the other titles, right? I mean buying the Xbox One just for Tomb Rider, a confirmed time-exclusive its a waste of money. So I'm assuming you still got the other exclusives or you're getting the other exclusives right?

how 2 u sociul plz? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphasic View Post
    Wow...so many walls of text.

Old gen, next gen, this gen, that gen; I just play what I want to play when I feel like playing it. I have honestly never understood the passion with which the gaming community debates various systems. I'm not complaining or denying anybody's right to their opinions, nor am I dismissing the actual debates. I just don't understand it.
    It's just how gamers and companies describe the various eras of consoles; years pass, the consoles become old and obselete as far as hardware goes and new consoles emerge with better capabilities.

When people say 'next-gen' or 'current-gen' they mean the current 'generation' (the most recently produced) consoles from a given company; in this case the Playstation 4, Xbox One, and WiiU. 'old-gen' or 'past-gen' are the consoles they replaced; Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii.

..... It tends to matter to gamers because the consoles tend to be something close to 'cutting-edge' for a while and for a lot of people the fact that a new console has better graphics than an old console. For me the graphics don't matter but the older consoles are showing their limitations in how they can handle games (Destiny being an example, NFS Rivals another).

Hope that helps.

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ranshiin View Post
    It's just how gamers and companies describe the various eras of consoles; years pass, the consoles become old and obselete as far as hardware goes and new consoles emerge with better capabilities.

When people say 'next-gen' or 'current-gen' they mean the current 'generation' (the most recently produced) consoles from a given company; in this case the Playstation 4, Xbox One, and WiiU. 'old-gen' or 'past-gen' are the consoles they replaced; Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii.

..... It tends to matter to gamers because the consoles tend to be something close to 'cutting-edge' for a while and for a lot of people the fact that a new console has better graphics than an old console. For me the graphics don't matter but the older consoles are showing their limitations in how they can handle games (Destiny being an example, NFS Rivals another).

Hope that helps.
    The console debate is more than that though.

The Wii U isn't failing because of its graphics (not 100% of the reason, that is). Nintendo marketed the console poorly and while part of the reason is the system's limitations in the case of third party titles, Nintendo isn't doing anything about it, like getting exclusive third party titles on their side. There's so many PS360 titles that could of been released on the Wii U but weren't.

As for the PS4 vs. Xbox One, it really depends on the person. PS4s can easily be found for $350 if they search right so the Xbox One being $50 cheaper isn't much of an advantage...so tome while the person may not care about graphics, if one is evidently superior, why not get that one. Same applied with the XBox 360 being superior when it came to multiplats.

As for online, this gen I barely have problems minus the same issue you have with the PSN store, which is unacceptable and Sony should fix it.

And games just depends on the person's taste but people still love to use Metacritic to compare all around scores, in which Nintendo wins for the most part.

While it isn't an issue now, there's also policies, which is why everyone refused to get an Xbox One when it was first unveiled. This is the reason why people love Steam, because GabeN listens.
    Last edited by Hanamaru Kunikida; 05-12-2015 at 06:53 PM.

Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

There's more to it than just console superiority though. Services are a factor too, and you can't deny that PSN is pretty shoddy when it comes to their network services.

I mean ... 3 hours to download Destiny, but it took 10 minutes on my Xbox One on the same connection?

But my reply to him wasn't to do with superiority, it was simply answering the question regarding what 'next gen' or 'past gen' is, not explaining anything about why one console in a generation is better than another - just the generations as a whole.

Senior Member Metaphasic has a reputation beyond repute Metaphasic has a reputation beyond repute Metaphasic has a reputation beyond repute Metaphasic has a reputation beyond repute Metaphasic has a reputation beyond repute Metaphasic has a reputation beyond repute Metaphasic has a reputation beyond repute Metaphasic has a reputation beyond repute Metaphasic has a reputation beyond repute Metaphasic has a reputation beyond repute Metaphasic has a reputation beyond repute Metaphasic's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I guess, for the most part, I'll just read this thread. BTW, I understood what the terms meant. And yes, I realize some products will fail to inferior parts or whatever. Just not the reason for such passion in private discussions where the vendors aren't even around to take notes.

My point was, I have no loyalty to any generation or vender. I still have my 8 bit Nintendo with Duck Tales cartridge, my N64, Game Cube, Genesis, and... my Atari with Pitfall. I just play games. I don't care who made them, or how old they are.

Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I guess, for the most part, I'll just read this thread. BTW, I understood what the terms meant. And yes, I realize some products will fail to inferior parts or whatever. Just not the reason for such passion in private discussions where the vendors aren't even around to take notes.

My point was, I have no loyalty to any generation or vender. I still have my 8 bit Nintendo with Duck Tales cartridge, my N64, Game Cube, Genesis, and... my Atari with Pitfall. I just play games. I don't care who made them, or how old they are.
    Well, that's how it should be. I'll admit I have some loyalty to Sony, but not in the traditional sense; I'm very critical of them, but yet I have all their consoles bar the PSVita (I have literally no reason to buy a Vita).

I have an Atari 2600 in the cupboard (it works, it's just lacking an RF cable). I've got a Sega Master System and two Mega Drives (Genesis). I've temporarily owned a SNES, I thought the Dreamcast was great, I bought a Gamecube just for F-Zero, I own all four Playstations, a 360, an Xbox One, two Wiis and I bought the WiiU just because Mario Kart 8 is that good. Fanboys will be fanboys though but the idea of generations I understand and I do even follow them to an extent, but older consoles always have a place.

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

There's more to it than just console superiority though. Services are a factor too, and you can't deny that PSN is pretty shoddy when it comes to their network services.

I mean ... 3 hours to download Destiny, but it took 10 minutes on my Xbox One on the same connection?

But my reply to him wasn't to do with superiority, it was simply answering the question regarding what 'next gen' or 'past gen' is, not explaining anything about why one console in a generation is better than another - just the generations as a whole.
    Not to damage control, but there's a workaround for that. That being said, Xbox Live + Ethernet cable is really fast for me, probably not as fast as Steam but it's great and it makes me a happy gamer. PSN is even worse when connected to other regions as for Xbox Live, it can be slower but still good.

I don't like how the Xbox One's region free system works though...more of a hassle when it comes to actually buying stuff.

Well, your replies first of all turn the discussion into a complete new one, but I still welcome this. Any kind of discussions are good. About the developers/publishers not reading threads, while its true they aren't gonna read this one, they do obviously go on the internet. This is thread is meant for us as members to discuss among each other, especially when a section is on life support, a healthy discussion helps.

While this thread wasn't an Old Gen vs Current Gen thread, I definitely agree that I have no problems going back to Old Gen, the exclusives of course. There's a lot of classics that are worth replaying, but I will probably play them through my PC via Emulator.

But overall, the point of this thread was to rank the PS4, the Xbox One, the Wii U and PC but "I don't care about the console debate" is a legitimate response as well, I suppose.
    Last edited by Hanamaru Kunikida; 05-14-2015 at 07:44 PM.

Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Not to damage control, but there's a workaround for that. That being said, Xbox Live + Ethernet cable is really fast for me, probably not as fast as Steam but it's great and it makes me a happy gamer. PSN is even worse when connected to other regions as for Xbox Live, it can be slower but still good.

I don't like how the Xbox One's region free system works though...more of a hassle when it comes to actually buying stuff.
    If this 'damage control' workaround is to set the PS4 up to Google's DNS? Yeah, I already tried that, it doesn't work. It doesn't even matter if I put the console in DMZ; the console reports my download speed is about 40 megabit whereas my xbox reports 150 and then when it comes to actually downloading anything, it starts off fast and five minutes later drops to a crawl.

3 hours to download Destiny. Three hours.

>.>

Senior Member 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Suspicious
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-20-2016 09:36 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: DFmongy

On the topic of buying a console exclusively for one game. I bough a Nintendo 3ds XL just to play Pokémon X and y. I think I got 6 badges then stopped playing. Money well spent.

All the world will be your enemy, prince with a thousand enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... But first they must catch you.

Gil
    Fine
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by 360 FistKick! View Post
    On the topic of buying a console exclusively for one game. I bough a Nintendo 3ds XL just to play Pokémon X and y. I think I got 6 badges then stopped playing. Money well spent.
    LOL, you aren't alone. I got Naruto Ninja Storm Revolution recently, and got the Windows driver for my XBOX controller, just to give up after a day. Apparently, I suck. ^^

Sorry Hinata, can't play with you today. -.-

Senior Member .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2020 04:24 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by 360 FistKick! View Post
    I guess there are some some games that you just can't put a price on...

I initially bought a second hand XBox just to play Shenmue 2.

Of course, I did eventually discover that the XBox actually had some quality titles, so I have many more games for it now; but at the time I was indeed prepared to effectively pay £120 for just one game.

Anyways...

PC: I have little to say here since my approach to PC gaming has been casual at best. I have seen some footage of some very pretty FPS games, but gameplay-wise, they don't seem to be all that interesting. Nonetheless, I have to say that when it comes to flexibility, modding, and the fact that however obscure your gaming tastes, you'll often find a burgeoning community that shares your interests, the PC wins hands down over every other platform. I like to think of it as the free market equivalent of gaming: the more you invest the greater the reward.

PS4: I can hardly criticise Sony's marketing of the PS4. It's clear that they've learned a lot from the mistakes they made with the PS3. For all of the bizarre marketing decisions that Sony have made just to remain competitive outside the games industry, it's nice to see that with the bit of sanity they have left, they've designed a system that gets what a games console should be: a universal platform that is open to all kinds of gamers and game developers alike. However, I do keep in mind that this is all relative. Thanks to the historically awful launch flops of both the XBox One and Wii U, Sony haven't had to do anything that special to make their console stand out as the best choice. Sure, it does have some compelling exclusives and the most balanced games library right now; but I'm in no hurry to buy the system for them, especially if they turn out to be online- or DLC-centric, in which case I probably won't buy the PS4 at all since I'm not a huge fan of PlayStation Plus.

XBox One: To be fair to Microsoft, the XBox One is doing much better than it did at its launch, and despite the slightly inferior hardware, I'm finding its line up of exclusives more attractive than the PS4's if I'm being honest. I cannot praise Microsoft for dropping the very unwelcome Kinect peripheral mind because it should never have been forced onto buyers in the first place. But if nothing else, I do think that Microsoft deserves some credit for cutting its losses, focusing on exclusives and competitively repricing the XBox One. Now that it's considerably cheaper than the PS4, has just as many compelling exclusives, and an (arguably) better online gaming service, I have as much good reason to consider buying an XBox One as a PS4. But still, like the PS4, I'm in no hurry.

Wii U: Personally, I like the Wii U as a games console, although I will admit that once again, Nintendo have released an underpowered system. Now I know that hardware is not everything and I could care less about the fact that the Wii U is considerably less powerful than the PS4 or XBox One. But in this case, it's probably the main reason as to why 3rd party publishers are, for the most part, reluctant to support the Wii U. Granted, Nintendo's shoddy marketing campaign hasn't helped its new games console at all; but the reality is, times have changed and Nintendo doesn't seem to have adapted. Seems to me that AAA titles have gotten so expensive to make that 3rd party publishers apparently cannot afford to optimise multi-platform games for a system that runs on considerably weaker and fundamentally different hardware--and no amount of clever marketing is going to change that. In an industry where large publishers have to sell millions of copies of AAA titles just to stay in business, I'm not that surprised that most don't want to take any risks with the Wii U. That said, if most 3rd party games are going to be piss-poor ports like Call of Duty: Black Ops II and Watch Dogs, then personally I won't miss their lack of "support". After all, I've had the most fun with games consoles that, in spite of having some of the most memorable titles, have not exactly been renowned for high sales or 3rd party support, including, the Saturn, N64, Dreamcast and Gamecube. As for the Wii U, if I thought it could thrive on 1st party titles alone, I would have little concern for the lack of 3rd party support. Right now my biggest concern is the lack of assurance as to how much Nintendo will invest in the Wii U for the foreseeable future; and the fact that they've announced its successor (NX) so prematurely has really put me off buying the system until it has at least double the number of exclusives (including 1st party games). The quality of Nintendo games is certainly there, but at the moment, the library just isn't large or diverse enough to justify the system's price point.

Now for the ironic part: Although I think that the PC, PS4 and XBox One are doing considerably better than the Wii U as games machines, in spite of all that, the Wii U games are still grabbing my attention more than the others. If money was no object, I'd most certainly buy the Wii U and at least 8 games for it, but only about 3 per other system. Maybe it's because I'm a Nintendo fan at heart, but the most important thing to me in a game is creativity and fun, and I find that Nintendo deliver more potently in this department than any other major games publisher. Sure, there are occasions when I'd rather play more "mature" games; but most of the time and typically after a hard day at work, the last thing I want is to engage in yet another realistic and grim gaming environment that perpetually forces me to kill or torture wave after wave of enemies in order to progress. And when I think of the typical AAA PC/PS4/XBox One game, I instantly think of such an environment, then the hassle of having to authenticate my copy of the game each time I want to play online, then the gaming community, then the thought of trolls ruining the online experience for everyone else, ...and then I lose the will to play.
    Last edited by .:neuko:.; 05-23-2015 at 02:30 PM.

Gil
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Nah, you missed the entire point. PS+ and Xbox Live for the most part are required, so obviously I was adding it to the cost.

Nah I understand that, and its not like you aren't interested in the other titles, right? I mean buying the Xbox One just for Tomb Rider, a confirmed time-exclusive its a waste of money. So I'm assuming you still got the other exclusives or you're getting the other exclusives right?
    Yes, I do still purchase other exclusives for the platforms, there usually end up being others that peak my interest, such as Halo (mostly the Master Chief Collection as far as it goes, but I'm crossing my fingers hoping 5 will be decent, 4 was terrible) in the Xbox One's case. Also, I don't really play Halo for the MP I enjoy the campaigns and stories.
    Last edited by Ourobus; 06-03-2015 at 06:09 PM.

Junior Member Neurotoxus is on a distinguished road Neurotoxus's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-13-2015 11:38 PM
    Threads

I've always enjoyed watching/playing anything when it came down to PC games, but it's not really something that's for "me", if that makes sense. I have never really had the best PC to play everything I wanted, but I had alternatives, mainly games that I could play with friends and family. And regardless of how big my library is (and it's a decent size), I can't play PC for a long period of time.

A without trying to type a lot, current gen is picking up rather slow. If I recall correctly, we're not going to be getting anything interesting until after summer, and that's a bummer (dingding, rhyming :P). I'm really only looking at PS4/Xbone, but right now the only appeal I see on Wii U is Splatoon....And that's just for some past time play.

The main problem I have isn't the graphics, but how the systems handle stuff.

PS4 is probably the better console, but goddamn if PSN doesn't suck donkey. PS Store only works for me for 15 minutes after booting up the console and I have to restart it to download patches or games, it took three hours to download a 7GB patch (in comparison it took 10 minutes for me on Xbox), the chat servers randomly hiccup and the game servers the same. I mean, I have my console in DMZ and it says I have moderate NAT, WTF?

Don't have those problems on Xbox. Servers are fast, things are always up, never have any problems with chat parties or NAT. Console rarely spits an error ... but then the UI is rubbish, it took me forever to figure out how to navigate everything and I still can't listen to my own music whilst playing games, Microsoft!!!
    The PS4 has a terrible wifi card. And the servers don't do it much help either when it comes to downloading a game or patching it. I strongly recommend this if you haven't tried it already. It's worked for me having a slow wifi and all. It's made a 5 hour download turn into a 1 hour or 30min download easy.

As for music playing on PS4. I believe we now have the option to play music while playing games through a flashdrive

Obviously, as a person who only goes for Sony (Playstation consoles), I can't compare what it's like on Xbox One. But I hear bad things on both sides....so I rather stick with your personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentassassin View Post
    Speaking about next gen: What are you thinking about this upcoming steam kind of consoles (http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...atures-1127072)
    I think this could be something really nice, at least the hardware sounds promising. I normally prefer the openness of a pc whent it comes to gaming than to a classical console.
    But in the last years I have been becoming a bit lazy and the possibility to play playstation on your couch is just unbeatable
    I think the steam console could be just the perfect thing for me!
    If I'm not mistaken, it's technically a cheaper PC alternative (right?) which is great! Especially for the people who adore playing on Steam and already have a big Steam library.
    Last edited by Neurotoxus; 06-13-2015 at 11:26 PM.

Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I use ethernet, not wifi.

I've also tried Google's DNS, but it doesn't work.

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Bumping time.

It's great that Quantum Break is coming to PC on the same day as the Xbox One version, and with cross-buy. At the same time though, people are probably never going to buy an Xbox One or sell theirs (probably going to keep mine.). At least Phil Spencer is pulling through with what he said though, and this is why I like him. More titles coming to PC is great, especially with cross-buy.

This just goes to show that only having an Xbox One version isn't enough. Obviously they want to make their money back, and they know there is a market on PC. Rise of the Tomb Raider already sold half of the sales of the Xbox One version in 1-2 weeks. To be fair though, every game is coming to PC now, even PS4/Vita games, even though PS4 versions are still gets the most sales compared to the Xbox One. Overall PC is taking out the incentive to buy/keep either console. At least I have my weeb games and Bloodborne on PS4.

I still plan to keep both consoles though. Hell, the Xbox One is a good early access box, with it getting The Division beta first, as well as the Homefront beta (which I'm playing right now.) Heck, if some games do come on Xbox One first before it comes to PC, I might need to keep it regardless.

As for the Wii U, it's doing okay. TPHD, Pokken, Star Fox, #FE, and Zelda Wii U. That's only 5 games but it's okay if you got another console to keep you occupied. Although I don't believe Nintendo should settle for sidekick but it is what it is.

Still stands:
    TL;DR

Forum needs threads. (especially this)

I want the PS4 to have it's bad months though, (really bad months), just because Sony is getting too cocky. It's the reason Microsoft and Phil Spencer are pushing the Xbox One hard, because they are losing. I mean, the system has backwards comparability while PS4 has PS Now, a streaming service, which you have to pay, lewl.
    Last edited by Hanamaru Kunikida; 02-13-2016 at 04:35 PM.

Junior Member Evans is an unknown quantity at this point Evans's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-20-2016 11:38 AM
    Threads

Xbone dropped the ball by trying to become a 'media device' rather than a 'games console'. I feel that thats the reason they're barely able to keep up with the PS4 in terms of tech, though thats not saying PS4 is leap years ahead either. I used to be a purely console gamer so its kinda sad to see them both fall short of what I wanted. As for the current state of PC gaming, it's got a bunch of horribly built ports and horribly optimised games, however there's a substantial amount of decent indi titles that keep things refreshing.

Overall the current landscape is looking better than the last 2-3 years though.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information