AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Legendary Creatures

Senior Member Astral_Mage has a reputation beyond repute Astral_Mage has a reputation beyond repute Astral_Mage has a reputation beyond repute Astral_Mage has a reputation beyond repute Astral_Mage has a reputation beyond repute Astral_Mage has a reputation beyond repute Astral_Mage has a reputation beyond repute Astral_Mage has a reputation beyond repute Astral_Mage has a reputation beyond repute Astral_Mage has a reputation beyond repute Astral_Mage has a reputation beyond repute Astral_Mage's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Gifts Pizza Manekineko Headphones
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2017 07:54 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: zer0_rec0il

Default Legendary Creatures

Hello guys, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to start this thread since I got much ground to cover but I'll try

So, Legendary/Mythical/Mythological creatures have been part of our lives for so long, despite most of their history is not confirmed, & some of them are beyond the realm of "possibility", examples of these are dragons, unicorns, griffins, etc.
    You get it right?

So I got several questions for you guys:

1.What is your favorite Legendary/Mythical creature? & why?

2.What do you think is the difference between the words "Mythological" & "Legendary" when describing these creatures?

For me, I was ever fascinated by dragons, eastern dragons particularly are my favorites, these fascinating dragons are serpent like & have the ability to fly in somehow magical way, yet, I found out lately that eastern dragons are not of one type as I always thought; there are the Chinese dragons and the Japanese dragons, which brought up another question; What is the difference between the two?

(image taken from wikipedia)

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

Default Re: Legendary Creatures

1.Dragons obviously. They're dragons.

2. I point to the new species discovered every year. Plus dinosaurs. I mean call 'em what you like, they were dragons.

The chinese and asian dragons are very different from European, but that could be because they are shape shifted. I can't even begin to list all the differences. There are entire encyclopedias on dragons for a reason. Which specific kinds of dragons are you referring to? There are a lot from all around the world, not even just Asia and Europe. There are even a few in Hawaii.

Now of you want tog go obscure, look into the Mngwa or the kirrin.
    Last edited by Clayton_n; 01-24-2015 at 04:33 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    569 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-30-2016 01:28 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

My favorite mythical creature is the Phoenix.
    But for legendary creatures that have been sighted, supposedly.... I'd have to say the lycan, or wolf man.

To me, mythical and legendary have different meanings, but the terms are pretty interchangeable when it comes to unknown species.

4. Likes DenjaX liked this post
    Banned Forum / Chat Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts V Guitar Electric Guitar Black Guitar
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-30-2016 08:54 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: gurutar Steam ID: gurutar2015

the Chupacabra always caught my attention as a myth. it's on all fours, extremely powerful bite and sharp teeth, not unlike another animal that tickles my fancy. forum regulars will know what i'm talkin bout

6. Thanks Nesh thanked for this post
    Likes Nesh liked this post
    Senior Member Astral_Mage has a reputation beyond repute Astral_Mage has a reputation beyond repute Astral_Mage has a reputation beyond repute Astral_Mage has a reputation beyond repute Astral_Mage has a reputation beyond repute Astral_Mage has a reputation beyond repute Astral_Mage has a reputation beyond repute Astral_Mage has a reputation beyond repute Astral_Mage has a reputation beyond repute Astral_Mage has a reputation beyond repute Astral_Mage has a reputation beyond repute Astral_Mage's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    1.Dragons obviously. They're dragons.

2. I point to the new species discovered every year. Plus dinosaurs. I mean call 'em what you like, they were dragons.

The chinese and asian dragons are very different from European, but that could be because they are shape shifted. I can't even begin to list all the differences. There are entire encyclopedias on dragons for a reason. Which specific kinds of dragons are you referring to? There are a lot from all around the world, not even just Asia and Europe. There are even a few in Hawaii.

Now of you want tog go obscure, look into the Mngwa or the kirrin.
    My favorite dragons are the eastern/asian ones probably the Chinese ones for I consider them more mysterious, & since they are considered good & are regarded as a sign of strength, power & luck, unlike the western dragons which were considered as evil, but I'm glad that that notion is starting to change, I mean the animation "How to train your dragon" is a adding a good reputation for western dragons

I didn't know that there were Hawaiian dragons, I guess I'll have to search in further

btw, isn't Kirrin the same thing as Qilin? Which is again the Chinese counterpart of Unicorns if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Albear View Post
    My favorite mythical creature is the Phoenix.
    But for legendary creatures that have been sighted, supposedly.... I'd have to say the lycan, or wolf man.

To me, mythical and legendary have different meanings, but the terms are pretty interchangeable when it comes to unknown species.
    Phoenix, an all time favorite, symbol of reincarnation, that is one fascinating bird

Did you know that like dragons there is an eastern version of the Phoenix which is the Fenghuang(Chinese Phoenix)?
    It is also associated with great virtues like grace.

& I also admire the lycan, maybe not as much as the dragon or the phoenix but I gotta say, Lycans are a force to be reckoned with & should never be underestimated. Lycan is my favorite hero in DoTA btw

About the mythical & legendary thing, I agree that they are interchangeable words but I sometimes can't decide which word to use & I'm not really sure if there is much distinct differences between the 2 words

Quote Originally Posted by horrendous View Post
    the Chupacabra always caught my attention as a myth. it's on all fours, extremely powerful bite and sharp teeth, not unlike another animal that tickles my fancy. forum regulars will know what i'm talkin bout
    I remember encountering that mythical creature in a game before, I'm not sure if it either is close in resemblance to an animal we know or to aliens, but its very interesting

8. Thanks Nesh thanked for this post
    Likes Nesh liked this post
    Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Asian dragons aren't all good... and some of them even rape old men.

Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Junior Member Tetsaiga Kenpachi is on a distinguished road Tetsaiga Kenpachi's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-27-2015 12:38 AM
    Threads

Default My favorite mythical character

Kenpachi Zaraki every time

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

Well I think the difference between mythological and legendary is its relevance. There are plenty of legends born from myth, but not every myth is legend. Many places have their own stories and myths, but the legends always travel. Whether it be Zeus or Paul Bunyan people know their tales far and wide. Can't say near as much for the Roman gods, as one can for the Greek gods. Today the Roman Gods are known more for being planets in our solar system than being gods.

As for the difference between Japanese dragons and Chinese dragons, well one is Japanese and the other is Chinese, of course! XDDD Nah, from my understanding the Japanese dragon is heavily influenced by the Chinese dragon, but the real difference is in how the cultures themselves view the creatures. Like the Dragon complementing the fenghuang has the yang to the fenghuang's yin (fenghuang being the Chinese Phoenix), is strictly in Chinese culture and not the Japanese's. Where as much of Japanese culture views them akin to or as gods.

Hope that sheds some light for you, @Astral_Mage . ^.^
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

12. Likes Nesh, Astral_Mage liked this post
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

How about Korean dragons?

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

How about Korean dragons?
    Much like the Japanese and Vietnamese Dragons, being heavily influence by Chinese Dragons. Though Koreans do have a bit of a twist, in that they have Imugi (pronounced "Ee-Moo-Gi"), or lesser dragons, and the Yeouiju (or Dragon orb) that can grant the wielding dragon omnipotence and creation at will. Though the Yeouiju may be modeled after the Cintamani jewel/pearl.

Also as a tid bit if anyone's interested. Aside from the characteristics and depictions, the related symbology between the dragons is also different. European/Western Dragons tend to symbolize fire and destruction, whereas Asian/Eastern Dragons tend to symbolize auspicious powers/fortune and water related things (rivers, rainfall, and such).
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

15. Thanks Astral_Mage thanked for this post
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Yeah, i saw the movie too.

According to the Babylonian books of creation dragons and other monsters were made by Tiamat to fight the gods when they tried to kill her.

Gil
    Relaxed
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBlade/13.666 View Post
    Well I think the difference between mythological and legendary is its relevance. There are plenty of legends born from myth, but not every myth is legend. Many places have their own stories and myths, but the legends always travel. Whether it be Zeus or Paul Bunyan people know their tales far and wide. Can't say near as much for the Roman gods, as one can for the Greek gods. Today the Roman Gods are known more for being planets in our solar system than being gods.

As for the difference between Japanese dragons and Chinese dragons, well one is Japanese and the other is Chinese, of course! XDDD Nah, from my understanding the Japanese dragon is heavily influenced by the Chinese dragon, but the real difference is in how the cultures themselves view the creatures. Like the Dragon complementing the fenghuang has the yang to the fenghuang's yin (fenghuang being the Chinese Phoenix), is strictly in Chinese culture and not the Japanese's. Where as much of Japanese culture views them akin to or as gods.

Hope that sheds some light for you, @Astral_Mage . ^.^
    I still get lost sometime within the thought of what word to use, either to use Mythical or Legendary to describe the said creatures, but I guess some are legendary & some are mythical

Thanks for clearing some of the stuff out

🐮🔪 "I'll see it when I believe it" 🐮🔪 ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Cookie Cookie Hedgehog
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-16-2023 02:57 PM
    The corner of Everywhere and Nowhere, ya dig?
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: TwilightWolf2508 Steam ID: zombiewolf2508

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBlade/13.666 View Post
    symbology

00:42-00:58
    Last edited by ZombieWolf2508; 02-02-2015 at 08:04 AM.

My mood on a daily basis

19. Thanks DeathBlade/13.666 thanked for this post
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

@ZombieWolf2508

So, another two interchangeable words?

It didn't matter to me as long as I got the point but yet, you forced me to search the difference between the two words: "Symbology" & "Symbolism"

So its basically we are used to use the word "Symbolism" to relate to something else, like ideas, meanings & qualities, while "Symbology" may mean the study of symbols or to refer to a group of symbols, correct me if I'm wrong

🐮🔪 "I'll see it when I believe it" 🐮🔪 ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Cookie Cookie Hedgehog
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-16-2023 02:57 PM
    The corner of Everywhere and Nowhere, ya dig?
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: TwilightWolf2508 Steam ID: zombiewolf2508

@Astral_Mage I dunno maybe I just wanted an excuse to post a video of Willem Dafoe

My mood on a daily basis

Gil
    Relaxed
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieWolf2508 View Post
    @Astral_Mage I dunno maybe I just wanted an excuse to post a video of Willem Dafoe
    Well played then, you improved my vocabulary as well in the process, "Symbolism" hmm..

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

How about gremlins?

Gil
    Relaxed
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

How about gremlins?
    Gremlins are those smart creatures which are somewhat like goblins or imps right?

There's usually this confusion because of that old horror movie, but at the end gremlins seem to be more of fictional characters rather than legendary creatures such as dragons, griffins, phoenixes, unicorns & such.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

How about everyone's favorite: nymphs! You know a supernatural girl who happens to spend a lot of time nude.

What is your favorite kind of nymph?

Huldras, succubae, elves, dryads, neiriads, mermaids, swan maidens, goddesses, dragon-girls, the daughters or harems of gods, sirens... come on you have to know at least one.

Last edited by Clayton_n; 02-11-2015 at 03:13 PM.

26. Dislikes DeathBlade/13.666 disliked this post
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

A question to refresh things..

If you could be a Legendary Creature what would you be?

@Clayton_n

I'm not fond of Nymphs, but Medusa is interesting though.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I just published my new book "Lesbian Mythology, Legends" and Folklore" if you are interested.

I included the story of the Sphinx, one of my favorites and an early version of the catgirl.

Sphinx: Why did the chicken cross the road.
    Lesbian: I don't know.
    Sphinx: Oh come on, this is the third time and it's an easy riddle.
    Lesbian: Riddle schmiddle. You know the rules. Now get down here and eat me!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information