AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Power/Control

Member Allan53 is on a distinguished road Allan53's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-22-2014 12:05 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Question Power/Control

I've noticed a tendency in "power" anime (ie anime where 'power levels' are loosely a thing, even if not formalised) to have the main character be really powerful, but have all the control of a drunken elephant. And I can see the appeal, just pushing through the obstacles through sheer will and that, very cool.

But are there any that have the reverse: that the main character isn't really that 'strong', but has learned finesse or control to make up for it? Seems like that'd engage the brain a bit more, which I tend to like.
    Thanks to all who helped me out with my research project! Really appreciated!

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-18-2024 06:36 PM
    Threads

Default Re: Power/Control

Lots.

Give more specifics on what you're looking for and I'll give you a list. For now... seen Naruto?

Last edited by Clayton_n; 09-20-2014 at 09:01 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

WOW!!!! Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Gifts AK47 American Flag Ribbon Systems N64
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2023 04:18 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WootenClen

If you want to engage your brain then stop watching shounen you mong

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    Lots.

Give more specifics on what you're looking for and I'll give you a list. For now... seen Naruto?

I have, and while I will absolutely concede that it's not all like this, generally speaking I didn't find it overly interesting. Chakra doesn't seem to follow any kind of consistent rules, which is fine for what they were doing, but it does tend to boil down to "my special trick trumps your special trick". Again, not all, but often enough to not to be to my taste.

What I'm thinking is something of the nature of, rather than "idiot with little knowledge but big power gets caught up in a situation which they almost inevitably defeat major foes with their amazing strength", but more of a "person with little power gets caught up in a situation and defeats major foes through technique or using their intelligence". I've seen a few try this, but it seems to be a rarity to see it done well.

And as to Kumigawa's comment (on my phone so it's a bit awkward, sorry), there is exactly zero reason a shonen can't be brain engaging. Most don't much, and that's fine. But someone isn't wrong for wanting a bit more than yelling and speeches about strength and protection from someone with a body count in the three digits and a lot of power they were just naturally gifted with, rather than actually coming to it through hard work.

WOW!!!! Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Gifts AK47 American Flag Ribbon Systems N64
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2023 04:18 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WootenClen

Quote Originally Posted by Allan53 View Post
    And as to Kumigawa's comment (on my phone so it's a bit awkward, sorry), there is exactly zero reason a shonen can't be brain engaging. Most don't much, and that's fine. But someone isn't wrong for wanting a bit more than yelling and speeches about strength and protection from someone with a body count in the three digits and a lot of power they were just naturally gifted with, rather than actually coming to it through hard work.
    I dont know if youve seen it but you might want to try Toaru Majutsu no Index, or the spinoff called Railgun. Though it still has the "my trick trumps your trick" shtick going on, it has a nice spin to it.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

There's lots of those.

Desert Punk and Bastard spring to mind.

Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    There's lots of those.

Desert Punk and Bastard spring to mind.
    Video didn't seem to work for me, but I'll check those titles out, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumagawa View Post
    I dont know if youve seen it but you might want to try Toaru Majutsu no Index, or the spinoff called Railgun. Though it still has the "my trick trumps your trick" shtick going on, it has a nice spin to it.
    I've read the manga of Railgun, didn't really do much for me. It had some good bits, like the teleporting girl, but just never grabbed me or drew me into the world.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Desert Punk definitely qualifies. There's also...

Outlaw Star
    Kiddy Grade
    Cowboy bebop

Really there's tons.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information