AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yep, this just happened ...

how 2 u sociul plz? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Gifts Ice Cream Ice Cream Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-22-2017 11:19 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Yep, this just happened ...

... Bacon and ham has been banned from Subway, because it's 'offensive to the Muslim population'.

Was told about this at college earlier. Jumped online at lunch, confirmed it.

https://www.ijreview.com/2014/04/134...muslim-outcry/

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-L...d-from-Muslims

Apparently, the announcement by users on Facebook following the discovery (and disgust) of the ban led one account to receive a message asking the announcement to be removed, as "the message announcing the removal of bacon was offensive."

... Seriously.

I dub this 'bacongate'. Please trend #BaconGate on twitter, and if any Muslims ask you to remove your tweet, tell them 'if they don't like your Twitter, don't read your account'. Seriously, how hard is it to understand the concept of 'If you don't like that Subway sells bacon sandwiches, DON'T EAT AT SUBWAY'?

Bloody pathetic. :I
    Last edited by Ranshiin; 05-02-2014 at 10:49 AM.
    : The Game. You just lost it. :

My signature was so old it broke. RIP signature.

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

Default Re: Yep, this just happened ...

Somehow I feel a non-muslim is behind all of this... Most Islamic followers that I know are chill about pork as much as the Jews I know. They may not like ham or bacon, but they won't stop anyone else from having it. Chicken Teriyaki is pretty good too. Still, if the majority of the local population is (meaning the majority of their customers are) Jewish and/or Muslim, then it makes sense to get with them and serve Halal or Kosher foods.
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

how 2 u sociul plz? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBlade/13.666 View Post
    Somehow I feel a non-muslim is behind all of this... Most Islamic followers that I know are chill about pork as much as the Jews I know. They may not like ham or bacon, but they won't stop anyone else from having it. Chicken Teriyaki is pretty good too. Still, if the majority of the local population is (meaning the majority of their customers are) Jewish and/or Muslim, then it makes sense to get with them and serve Halal or Kosher foods.
    You don't know this country, mate. If you ever come over here I can guarantee you'd be disgusted by how much a lot of immigrants throw their cultural and religious laws and rules around in the art of racism.

And that even said, I've never seen a Muslim in our Subway, ever. It's always full of hipsters and stoners.

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

So then why would a muslim even care, if they are never there anyways? Unless Subway is trying to make an effort to bring in the muslim population as customers and someone is making a crackpot excuse for the change other than (We just want more customers).

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

Senior Member Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2016 04:10 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

So then why would a muslim even care, if they are never there anyways? Unless Subway is trying to make an effort to bring in the muslim population as customers and someone is making a crackpot excuse for the change other than (We just want more customers).
    Because it offends them. Seriously, that's the reason. Welcome to Feels before Reals: The reality of catering to the perpetually offended.

Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pocket Watch Katana Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2019 09:03 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Bacon and ham has been banned from Subway, because it's 'offensive to the Muslim population'.
    At first I didn't believe it, until I noticed that this is happening in Englandistan, where it kinda makes sense.

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Somehow I feel a non-muslim is behind all of this... Most Islamic followers that I know are chill about pork as much as the Jews I know. They may not like ham or bacon, but they won't stop anyone else from having it.
    Those are people who made the decision to move to the US (or were raised by people who made such a decision). I've never met an Iranian muslim that I didn't like. But I don't imagine that they're representative of who controls that country now. Large imigrant populations who moved because of neccessity or money instead of wanting to be a part of the culture they're moving to are a different situation. And it sounds like things are rather different in England than they are here.

Banned Forum / Chat Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts V Guitar Electric Guitar Black Guitar
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-30-2016 08:54 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: gurutar Steam ID: gurutar2015

the only way this reaction would have been understandable would be if Muslims were being forced to order bacon and ham when they ate at subway. i mean, Muslims know how to NOT order bacon and ham, is Subway really preventing any harm from being done? and were Muslims really being "offended" because Subway was serving non-Kosher foods? i don't know any Muslims personally, but i would think they're just like anyone else and don't wish to impose their ideology or theology on the masses.

Subway pussied out is all.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Anoleis View Post
    Because it offends them. Seriously, that's the reason. Welcome to Feels before Reals: The reality of catering to the perpetually offended.
    That is still just stupid, and the muslims I know would be more offended by the pure catering than anything else. If Subway had said, "We're offering choices that are under halal guideline to be more open to our growing Islamic population", then it'd be ok. But no, it's "We're giving in because a small group of people that don't even purchase here is mad." For Allah's sake, they have chicken, beef, turkey, and veggie options available if you don't like, want, or can't have pork.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    At first I didn't believe it, until I noticed that this is happening in Englandistan, where it kinda makes sense.

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Those are people who made the decision to move to the US (or were raised by people who made such a decision). I've never met an Iranian muslim that I didn't like. But I don't imagine that they're representative of who controls that country now. Large imigrant populations who moved because of neccessity or money instead of wanting to be a part of the culture they're moving to are a different situation. And it sounds like things are rather different in England than they are here.
    Guess what, they're still immigrants moving in and should be respectful of those that were already there first. (As an American, I do try to be respectful of America's Native Cultures.) There's still no reason for them to pitch a fit. All and all, I still think it's some retard hipster (or a group) activist thinking that he's doing the right thing that started this crap. I get that it's England and not the U.S., but seriously most of our attitude about things came from England; it shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Senior Member дух has a reputation beyond repute дух has a reputation beyond repute дух has a reputation beyond repute дух has a reputation beyond repute дух has a reputation beyond repute дух has a reputation beyond repute дух has a reputation beyond repute дух has a reputation beyond repute дух has a reputation beyond repute дух has a reputation beyond repute дух has a reputation beyond repute дух's Avatar
    Gil
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-29-2021 06:26 AM
    Threads

That is really, really gay. Bacon and ham 4 life.

10. Likes MissAstaire liked this post
    Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    569 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-30-2016 01:28 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Wut..
    I don't care what country or religion you're in. You can't say no to dat bacon, yo.

Senior Member Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2016 04:10 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

That is still just stupid, and the muslims I know would be more offended by the pure catering than anything else.
    The muslims you know are obviously not the ones complaining or models of how all muslims behave.
    Last edited by Anoleis; 05-02-2014 at 01:54 PM.

~Neko Neko Neko~ KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Gifts Cookie Four Leaf Clover
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-19-2014 02:19 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

How can you say no to bacon? Bacon is the food from the gods.

Senior Member Meteorkeeper has a reputation beyond repute Meteorkeeper has a reputation beyond repute Meteorkeeper has a reputation beyond repute Meteorkeeper has a reputation beyond repute Meteorkeeper has a reputation beyond repute Meteorkeeper has a reputation beyond repute Meteorkeeper has a reputation beyond repute Meteorkeeper has a reputation beyond repute Meteorkeeper has a reputation beyond repute Meteorkeeper has a reputation beyond repute Meteorkeeper has a reputation beyond repute Meteorkeeper's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts American Flag Ribbon Coke Kill Bill Katana
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-15-2014 06:32 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Meteorkeeper

NOOOO you take my bacon from me over my dead body!!!
    The proud owner of the FIRST EVER self-perpetual neko gyroscope!

Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

That is still just stupid, and the muslims I know would be more offended by the pure catering than anything else.
    It's great that you're starting from such a group of people. But I think you need to expand your knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by horrendous View Post
    , but i would think they're just like anyone else and don't wish to impose their ideology or theology on the masses.
    Forget Muslims. Where did you get the idea that most people don't wish to impose their ideology or theology? I'm hoping that's sarcasm and you just forgot to add the smiley.

Banned Forum / Chat Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts V Guitar Electric Guitar Black Guitar
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-30-2016 08:54 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: gurutar Steam ID: gurutar2015

Forget Muslims. Where did you get the idea that most people don't wish to impose their ideology or theology? I'm hoping that's sarcasm and you just forgot to add the smiley.
    i guess i was just giving people the benefit of the doubt. the people i know are really chill about their theologies, and i personally have nothing to impose.

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2021 05:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

They're just mad they want all that delicious bacon and cant have any

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    (:| |: )
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Ran Ran. Move to the US.

We still have bacon!
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

You know, it occurs to me that Halal is about more than just not having pork. It also has to do with how animals are killed and prepared. So a Muslim trying to eat Halal couldn't eat the chicken or whatever at a "normal" subway.

So this could simply be an economic choice that is just reflective of changing demographics in the UK, and isn't any more noteworthy than a fish and chips joint being replaced by a Tandoori place. Subways figures they'll gain Muslim business in areas with high Muslim populations, and what do most people care if "Allahu Akbar" is said a few times by a Muslim and the chicken gets killed by its throat being cut instead of some other method? I'd also expect Subway to try and float the idea that "Turkey bacon" is healthier.
    Last edited by sunnyside; 05-02-2014 at 10:30 PM.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Anoleis View Post
    The muslims you know are obviously not the ones complaining or models of how all muslims behave.
    It's great that you're starting from such a group of people. But I think you need to expand your knowledge.
    That is a good point, but still. If this were truly an issue with most muslims, then where are the rest in complaining about it in other countries? In Middle Eastern and North African countries, I can understand not having any complaints due to most to all restaurants already being under Halal guidelines due to the countries being majorly Islamic. I could even understand in some others like the Philippines with a large distaste for muslims and their religious culture (mostly due to terrorist/terroristic attacks) not having any complaints about Halal fast food restaurants. But in England? Why not France and Spain too with their growing muslim populations? Now there is still the argument of a small group of muslims having the problem, but I'm sure with the growing trend of immigration and possible backlashes from that; would trying to get one fast food chain to serve Halal foods be really worth it? I'm sure there's been a handful of immigrants that have wanted to start a restaurant to enter the country, so why not fill the local and religious niche? Are they any petitions or pushes to get other restaurants or fast food joints to serve Halal, or has it just been Subway and Subway only?

Also, @sunnyside , you are right about the chicken and Halal preparations, but if memory serves me correctly Halal laws are similar to Kosher laws, in which there is a provision to allow followers of such to freely (yet smartly) eat foods if Halal/Kosher food is not available. And the Islamic population does have the choice to prepare and cook their meals at home instead of eating out at Subway, as well as the fore mentioned idea of eating at another place that serves Halal food.

So @Ranshiin , Has there been any push on other food chains, or just Subway only?

Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

So @Ranshiin , Has there been any push on other food chains, or just Subway only?
    So far, no, but now there's conspiracy theories about a 'Muslim Brotherhood' flying all over the place and of course, people jibing at Cameron telling him he needs to get some balls and do what France does - aka "Man up and tell them what to do and to like it or lump it."

I've not been into town yet.

... This DOES explain though why that food cart (that was really popular) suddenly disappeared. Because they sold bacon. Someone needs to whack an extractor fan on a frying pan, I swear.

And FWIW all the Muslims around here are stuck-up, ignorant little bastards. You never see them try to get involved in anything. They don't try to do what everyone else does - I see them wandering around the wrong way in Aldi and they never end up buying anything there anyway. They don't even bother to learn our language half the time; I've had to speak with a lot of them and some of them wouldn't even try to speak English to me.

They're all quite happy to stuff their laws and religion down our throats but won't accept ours; this whole bacongate scandal just proves it. "We want your bacon banned because we don't like it. What's that, you don't agree? RACISTS!"

Personally, I'm done trying to be respectful. Monday's going to be fun - I'm taking my Blind cane with me and I'm going to make some damn good use with it.

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2014 03:53 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

Do I have to do this? Do I HAVE to do this? Is there a punchline somewhere? Is this a joke? Must I tear this apart? Okay, everybody calm down go I can explain a few issues here...

First of all, while both of Ranshiin's links talk about the same thing, which grant them some credibility, one common thing erases all credibility: both links cite The Daily Mail as the source. The story in question from that site can be found here, along with a story about Ben Affleck counting cards and Robert Pattinson being caught with a "mystery blond" and a few "Tupac is not dead!!" theories. In case it hasn't been made clear, The Daily Mail is a tabloid newspaper and the vast majority of their stories need to be taken with a grain of salt or ignored outright.

So, is what they are saying true? Has Subway banned pork products from some of their resturants? Well, there is a grain of truth to that...one that was found with a 5 second Google search.

Apparantly, some Subways have indeed banned pork products from their stores in order to cater to the growing the Muslim community. But this was a voluntary effort and one that has been going on since 2007. Out of 1,500 Subways in the UK and Ireland, only about 200 Subways are halal and they are clearly marked; always have been. The signs are posted on the menu panels, the nutritional info brochures, and even on the front of the store itself. This store has three halal signs on the front alone.

The insinuation being made by those links and The Daily Mail is that this is a sudden decision made by Subway under pressure versus a growing program (one that has been going on for for 7 years) that they did on their own.

So Subway hasn't banned your precious bacon. They are not being pressured. They didn't "puss" out. So we can put our racist theories and anecdotes away now.
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

23. Thanks Jean Markale thanked for this post
    Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Are they any petitions or pushes to get other restaurants or fast food joints to serve Halal, or has it just been Subway and Subway only?
    Poking around a number of US restaurants have Halal options. But aparently it's tricky.
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/100842857

And the Islamic population does have the choice to prepare and cook their meals at home instead of eating out at Subway, as well as the fore mentioned idea of eating at another place that serves Halal food.
    True, but restaurants want you to buy at THEIR place.

I'm increasingly thinking this is just a changing demographics thing and a "strong demand" is simply in the sense of "we want to give you our money if you'd make stuff we can eat" vs some kind of threatening.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranshiin View Post
    Someone needs to whack an extractor fan on a frying pan, I swear.

Monday's going to be fun - I'm taking my Blind cane with me and I'm going to make some damn good use with it.
    ??????????

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgirl90 View Post
    So we can put our racist theories and anecdotes away now.
    Actually the first thing I did was poke around more reputable sources to see if the story had a bases, which, as you found, it does. There is the matter of putting a "twist" on it I suppose.

Though, while I suspect you're right about this being subways idea as a way to make more money, why are you calling this a racist thing?

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-18-2024 06:36 PM
    Threads

I hope they realize how many people will now be bringing pig products just to break that rule...
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

First of all, while both of Ranshiin's links talk about the same thing, which grant them some credibility, one common thing erases all credibility: both links cite The Daily Mail as the source. The story in question from that site can be found here, along with a story about Ben Affleck counting cards and Robert Pattinson being caught with a "mystery blond" and a few "Tupac is not dead!!" theories. In case it hasn't been made clear, The Daily Mail is a tabloid newspaper and the vast majority of their stories need to be taken with a grain of salt or ignored outright.
    Not trying to cause an argument or anything, but;

Class-mates deliberately went to our Subway on Friday after hearing the news, and asked for bacon subs. They were refused on the grounds of bacon being banned due to protest.

So it's not just a Daily Mail thing. :l

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

one common thing erases all credibility: both links cite The Daily Mail as the source.
    Apparantly, some Subways have indeed banned pork products from their stores in order to cater to the growing the Muslim community.
    So the story was clearly true but you had to poison the well anyway? What is the point of that?

I can agree with the "check your sources" sentiment, but isn't the fact that mainstream UK media isn't reporting this somewhat telling? I suspect the reluctance to report this story comes from a misguided fear of being racist.

I wouldn't say that The Daily Mail has less credibility. I would say they have less discretion. They are more likely to print a story regardless of the politically correct narrative. You shouldn't take their word alone on anything, but to be honest I don't think you should take The Guardian on their word alone either.

The insinuation being made by those links and The Daily Mail is that this is a sudden decision made by Subway under pressure versus a growing program (one that has been going on for for 7 years) that they did on their own.
    So Subway hasn't banned your precious bacon. They are not being pressured. They didn't "puss" out. So we can put our racist theories and anecdotes away now.
    In the best case scenario (i.e. most passive and peaceful), those branches are located in parts of the UK where the Islamic population has completely taken over to the point that serving pork is not profitable. Even in this case it is important to make note of how Islamic culture is influencing parts of the UK culture. It has cultural significance.

If you read The Daily Mail mail article, it insinuate that anything heinous is going on. The article is mainly just quotes from spokespeople, so there isn't much room to insinuate anything. The elephant in the room here is that the UK, among other European countries, has experienced an influx of Muslim immigrants and it is influencing the culture to an extent.

Sure, you can continue to throw "racism" at people for simply pointing at this elephant, and you will successfully silence a lot of people by doing so. The thing is, not all of them will remained silenced and instead will be pushed from rational concern to an irrational hatred.

Closed Thread

Thread Information