Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
Though, while I suspect you're right about this being subways idea as a way to make more money, why are you calling this a racist thing?
I'm not. I am merely pointing out that this whole discussion about Muslims probably wouldn't have happened if facts were looked up first. I was mainly pointing at Ranshiin when I said that because his previous post was about how this "bacongate" incident "proves" how "[Muslims are] all quite happy to stuff their laws and religion down our throats but won't accept ours."

In the end, Subway wasn't forced to do anything by anybody, so this "proves" nothing about Muslims or anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Wio View Post
You shouldn't take their word alone on anything, but to be honest I don't think you should take The Guardian on their word alone either.
I don't trust any single source; hence why I always look things up first. Two separate sources linking to one source that already has a slant is immediately suspicious.

In the best case scenario (i.e. most passive and peaceful), those branches are located in parts of the UK where the Islamic population has completely taken over to the point that serving pork is not profitable. Even in this case it is important to make note of how Islamic culture is influencing parts of the UK culture. It has cultural significance.
I am aware that it is. Profitability versus protest is precisely what lead Subway to start their halal program in the first place. There is a large Muslim population in the neighborhood. They don't want to eat at that restaurant because it serves pork and non-halal meats. Restaurant loses money. Restaurant switches to halal meats to gain new customers. The issue is...what now?

Sure, you can continue to throw "racism" at people for simply pointing at this elephant, and you will successfully silence a lot of people by doing so. The thing is, not all of them will remained silenced and instead will be pushed from rational concern to an irrational hatred.
As I pointed out earlier, the racist parts were coming from Ranshiin's previous post. It wasn't about the changes in culture but jabs at an entire people, which, ya know, is quite racist, justified or not. A culture might be growing around you, but if businesses decide to cater to the new culture while turning away from other people in order to make a shilling, then you can blame good old fashioned capitalism for that.

And again, the only insinuation being made here, from The Daily Mail and from the name of the thread itself (I never said that there was anything more), is that this is in anyway new, that this is a sudden decision born out of the ether when it is not or that this is happening at all Subways when it is not. This has been going on for over half a decade so either people haven't caught on or there is something going on that warrants attention.

But on its own, this is nothing that should really matter to anybody. It is 13% of Subways where you can't a Meatball Marinara sub...well, one made of pork. Is this the start of a cultural revolution? Where our meatballs are made of turkey? EGADS!!