AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [Security] Windows XP has reached end of life

Copyright © 2013 FS FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD's Avatar
    Gil
    Lonely
    Gifts Fuuko Starfish Ice Cream Bamboo Cup
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-19-2023 07:16 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Default [Security] Windows XP has reached end of life

As I've been whining a year ago about Windows XP to be put to rest, this day has come ... 2 weeks ago. From now on, pretty much any PC with the mentioned OS that is connected to the Internet, is vulnerable to easily accessible attacks.

But what does this mean? According to the market share website, nearly 30% of the world still uses the defunct OS. This is a lot of computers and heaven for certain people. To make things even worse, 95% of the world's ATM systems are still running Windows XP and I'm pretty sure this is just the tip of the iceberg. While "important" institutions we "trust", think that paying Microsoft for their premium service with our money and upgrading later than sooner is the "cheapest" strategy (like the UK), we end-users need to find "creative" ways to protect ourselves.

The AVAST team in a blog post is suggesting the following approaches:
    • Buy a new computer as soon as you can;
    • Upgrade the software that you have;
    • Ditch Microsoft’s Internet Explorer;
    • Use antivirus software and keep it updated;
    • Remove insecure software that you don’t use, like the Java browser plug-in;
    • Get offline or stay away as often as you can.

My mood isn't the best today, so I apologize for all the sarcasm. I hope it won't bother you too much.

Senior Member AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2016 10:21 PM
    Threads

Default Re: [Security] Windows XP has reached end of life

Dude I deal with people who think XP was just the greatest everyday. It's been worse since April 8th. The worst is when they complain about how they can't get a Windows 7 PC now retail. I usually tell them they shouldn't have held onto their 10+ year old OS. It gets funnier when I tell them their office 2003 professional suite won't work on Windows 8 either, and if they want the new one its either a yearly subscription or $400.

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

Or just get free to use programs that are just as good. Really, for excel google docs isn't bad and it's online so you can access it anywhere. As for XP it was a great OS in its day. Why else would it last 10+ years. Though I switched a while back due to the fact I'm a PC gamer and dx 9 wasn't cutting it anymore.

Senior Member AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2016 10:21 PM
    Threads

I show people Apache Open office a lot. As for MS Office, its just that like XP, people seem to think Office pre-2007 was the best and it only got worse. I can't stand older versions, they lack a lot of utilities that I got used to using when I was learning Business Calc, especially in Excel.

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

Yeah, all I know is the pre 2007 ones. Learned them in school but haven't used them since.

Doll Girl Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts One Piece Wanted Poster Soras Keyblade Alice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-17-2014 03:25 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Dragons Rioting PSN ID: ManyuuHikenchou

This was bound to happen and my pc window was outdated

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information