AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The "right" way to play video games?

Senior Member Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare's Avatar
    Gil
    Angry
    Gifts Purple Ribbon Gabumon Cylon Centurion
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-03-2017 08:07 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default The "right" way to play video games?

So I have this friend [whom I may have to choose a different word to describe him with...] who's been giving me A LOT of crap lately about using magic in Dark Souls. At first I was experimenting with magic, and he told me not to knock it because it could be powerful if you invest in it. I typically go for a magic role, so I stuck with it and made it my play-style.

Eventually he started calling me out on all my choices: use of magic, weapon choices, armor, etc. He kept saying that magic users are cowards and that they can't play the game right. When it comes to shooters, anybody who doesn't use an assault rifle isn't playing the game right. He is so stuck in his particular ways, and hates being humbled or shown a different way.

My question to you AF, is there ever a "proper," "true," or "right" way to play a game, or does it all matter on the person's play-style?
    Last edited by Velvet_Nightmare; 03-28-2014 at 10:50 PM.
    No power in the 'verse can stop me...

AF Lurker Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Snowman Hedgehog Pocky
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-17-2018 06:17 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Zainox-

Default Re: The "right" way to play video games?

No, everyone plays their own way and should be aloud to play their own way without criticism. My mate does the same thing with shooters. If I don't play a certain way, go a certain way or choose certain guns, I'm doing it wrong... I have a habit of flicking the analog sticks, instead of keeping my fingers on them and moving them to the target. I find flicking it easier and it works for me, BUT! My friend gives me CONSTANT crap for this, saying that it's wrong, doesn't work, it's annoying.. He did this so much so that I moved my TV and consoles into my room... (yes I live with him)

I feel people should play as they want. There may be a 'better' way to do things but that doesn't make it right. There is a reason why developers give you diversity, it's so you can pick and choose your own play style.

MY ANIME-PLANET WATCH LIST

AF FAMILY
    Astral_Mage - Younger Brother/Confetti Brother
    horrendous - Older Brother
    1nterest1ng - Confetti Brother

~Neko Neko Neko~ KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Gifts Cookie Four Leaf Clover
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-19-2014 02:19 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

No, Everyone has a different play style, To say that their is a "right" way to play a game is a lie.

how 2 u sociul plz? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Gifts Ice Cream Ice Cream Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-22-2017 11:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

There is no right way.

I've given as much crap as I've given on video games about 'high-tier' or 'noob' tactics or strategies (Drifter Mod in Blur, the Bugatti in virtually every game it's in, the Conference Call/Bee strategy in early Borderlands 2 days, etc, etc), but it doesn't change the fact that they are in the games and they are technically the best strategies/usages of the stuff at hand.

Ultimately, you should play the way -you- want to play. People are always going to complain about it - and the solution, if you really want to care, is this: Play -their- way, and trash them. This works for me.

But yeah. I think when it comes to Dark Souls, if magic is the OP choice for the game then forgodsfrellingsake take advantage of it because it's effin' dark souls, not cod or titanfall or something :l
    : The Game. You just lost it. :

My signature was so old it broke. RIP signature.

Member gobSIDES is on a distinguished road gobSIDES's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-12-2015 08:37 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gobS1DES PSN ID: gobSIDES Steam ID: ChannelCG

Yeah the right way to play games is simple, pop the game in your platform of choice, grab some friends if you like and have fun, if your buddy has a problem with that then that's just him playing games wrong not you.

Junior Member Zatchara is on a distinguished road Zatchara's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-25-2014 12:22 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: OmniSlacker

What ya gotta do is...put your controller or keyboard on the ground and give it the five knuckle shuffle.

Pretty obvious stuff, geez.

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

The right way to play a vidya game is to.... play the darn vidya game. And don't die.. Dying in game is wrong.. Unless the game says to do so, then you should probably do what the game tells you.

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Not gonna write an essay so

If you like using the Noobtube or the most broken characters in a fighting game or anything to make the online experience annoying then do you.

At this point, everyone should be already be used to it anyway.

Although I agree some people just get jealous and call your style "noobish" just because they are jealous or suck.
    Last edited by Hanamaru Kunikida; 03-29-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Play Noel Vermillion on Blazblue. That sir is the right way to do stuff online in a video game.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zainox View Post
    No, everyone plays their own way and should be aloud to play their own way without criticism. My mate does the same thing with shooters. If I don't play a certain way, go a certain way or choose certain guns, I'm doing it wrong... I have a habit of flicking the analog sticks, instead of keeping my fingers on them and moving them to the target. I find flicking it easier and it works for me, BUT! My friend gives me CONSTANT crap for this, saying that it's wrong, doesn't work, it's annoying.. He did this so much so that I moved my TV and consoles into my room... (yes I live with him)

I feel people should play as they want. There may be a 'better' way to do things but that doesn't make it right. There is a reason why developers give you diversity, it's so you can pick and choose your own play style.
    And this.
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

Doll Girl Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts One Piece Wanted Poster Soras Keyblade Alice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-17-2014 03:25 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Dragons Rioting PSN ID: ManyuuHikenchou

I choose to play with enthusiastic feeling when playing with a friend like a game you looking forward to

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Crash View Post
    The right way to play a vidya game is to.... play the darn vidya game. And don't die.. Dying in game is wrong.. Unless the game says to do so, then you should probably do what the game tells you.
    Except in dieing isn't wrong. It teaches you that what you did was wrong and not to do it. And in games like Ys (Nightmare/Inferno), Demon/Dark Souls, etc. It's unavoidable. It's not a matter of if but when in games like that. That said, I hate scripted to lose fights. Either make the fight winnable or give me a cutscene and not waste my time.

Senior Member Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet_Nightmare View Post
    So I have this friend [whom I may have to choose a different word to describe him with...] who's been giving me A LOT of crap lately about using magic in Dark Souls. At first I was experimenting with magic, and he told me not to knock it because it could be powerful if you invest in it. I typically go for a magic role, so I stuck with it and made it my play-style.

Eventually he started calling me out on all my choices: use of magic, weapon choices, armor, etc. He kept saying that magic users are cowards and that they can't play the game right. When it comes to shooters, anybody who doesn't use an assault rifle isn't playing the game right. He is so stuck in his particular ways, and hates being humbled or shown a different way.

My question to you AF, is there ever a "proper," "true," or "right" way to play a game, or does it all matter on the person's play-style?
    Not really. Games are meant to be fun. Maybe he needs to STFU and let you play the way you want to.
    月の光は愛のメッセージ

&#32
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama's Avatar
    Gil
    Where
    Gifts V Guitar Coffee Red Kawaii Ice Cream Cone
    Mentioned
    1093 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-11-2018 11:21 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: FunkyFresh123 Steam ID: RyuTama

If you're gaming, and having fun while doing it, you're doing it right.

Senior Member Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Systems Xbox 360 American Flag Ribbon AK47
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-30-2016 03:29 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Light Buster PSN ID: Lightbuster88

These days, there are no "right" or "wrong" ways to play video games. It all depends on your play style. You're friend should reconsider what he said to you.
    WARNING: This user is wanted for unauthorized access into Ultratech archives. If you see this user in person, please contact Ultratech immediately.

Senior Member .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2020 04:24 PM
    Threads

Not to sound rude, but it's people like your friend that have driven a games industry into thinking that every game must have an assault rifle and some co-op mode, or it's not worth a dime. And if your friend doesn't like the way you play Dark Souls, that's their problem; they've no right to make it yours; to force you to change your play style so that they can keep playing in a way that is comfortable for them. The irony is this is Dark Souls; last time I checked it was supposed to be difficult to play, so why a player would force another to change their play style rather than challenge themselves to find a way round it is beyond me.

WOW!!!! Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Gifts AK47 American Flag Ribbon Systems N64
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2023 04:18 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WootenClen

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet_Nightmare View Post

I agree with your friend. Magic in Dark/demons souls is like playing easy mode, you're literally a baby. Try a dex build next, you'll like it more than magic.
    HOWEVER, this only goes for the souls series. When it comes to fps or beatemups, it doesn't really apply.

Senior Member Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare's Avatar
    Gil
    Angry
    Gifts Purple Ribbon Gabumon Cylon Centurion
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-03-2017 08:07 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kumagawa View Post
    I agree with your friend. Magic in Dark/demons souls is like playing easy mode, you're literally a baby. Try a dex build next, you'll like it more than magic.
    HOWEVER, this only goes for the souls series. When it comes to fps or beatemups, it doesn't really apply.
    What's that, I can't hear you over all this fire.

Also, I've done high dex builds. Fun time.
    No power in the 'verse can stop me...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information