AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trophies and Achievements

Senior Member mr.kudos is on a distinguished road mr.kudos's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-05-2017 11:00 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: gakibozutsu

Default Trophies and Achievements

Is it really necessary to complete all PS3/PS4 trophies or 360/One achievements on a game?

Right now people (around me) who plays video games are saying that if you don't complete all trophies/achievements it's not a complete game and wasted money for buying?

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Trophies and Achievements

Quote Originally Posted by mr.kudos View Post
    Is it really necessary to complete all PS3/PS4 trophies or 360/One achievements on a game?

Right now people (around me) who plays video games are saying that if you don't complete all trophies/achievements it's not a complete game and wasted money for buying?
    Of course its not necessary o_O.. Those people who say that are in the "addicted" to achievements / trophies phase.

Though, I personally adore achievements (105,000+ gamerscore) because it helps you to suck all life out of that game.
    Last edited by Anime Forum; 03-22-2014 at 08:32 PM.
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

AF Lurker Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Snowman Hedgehog Pocky
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-17-2018 06:17 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Zainox-

Na, it's not necessary. They just sound like hard-core trophy hunters. I for one have never gotten 100% trophy with any game, I'm not one who hunts for the trophies. I just play the game to story completion, that's enough to satisfy me.

MY ANIME-PLANET WATCH LIST

AF FAMILY
    Astral_Mage - Younger Brother/Confetti Brother
    horrendous - Older Brother
    1nterest1ng - Confetti Brother

how 2 u sociul plz? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Gifts Ice Cream Ice Cream Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-22-2017 11:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zainox View Post
    Na, it's not necessary. They just sound like hard-core trophy hunters. I for one have never gotten 100% trophy with any game, I'm not one who hunts for the trophies. I just play the game to story completion, that's enough to satisfy me.
    Problem is that a lot of games these days are more about the multiplayer than the story... or have no story at all. cough Titanfall cough.

Ontopic: to the OP, the answer is no. You don't HAVE to complete them all - and to be fair it should never be the sole reason to play a game*. Though I personally find myself completing most or all of a game's given achievements and then stop playing it, that's more due to running out of things to do/people to play it with once I've played it enough to get them all (examples: SSX, Grand theft auto V, Need for Speed: Rivals), other times it's because the game in general wasn't that good and I just soldiered it for the sake of it.

If I think I -can- get all of them I will, but otherwise I won't. Plenty of games I keep playing regardless though, like Borderlands and Grid 2 and Blur, which I have all the achievements on but still play with friends on weekends.

* The only exclusion to this is Need for Speed: Most Wanted. I had this on PS2 and played it extensively on that, but I bought it on xbox 360 -literally- for the gamerscore. The reason behind this is because the achievements were so easy to get (they were literally "beat the game") that for the sake of it I bought it just for that. That's the only game, though. The rest I play for the game and getting 900+ gamerscore is just the bonus I take to say "I played this game a lot." to people.
    : The Game. You just lost it. :

My signature was so old it broke. RIP signature.

Senior Member Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare's Avatar
    Gil
    Angry
    Gifts Purple Ribbon Gabumon Cylon Centurion
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-03-2017 08:07 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I like getting achievements because it gives me something to work towards. That being said, if you don't get all of em in a certain game, don't sweat it.

I have a friend that as soon as he gets all the cheevos in a game, he'll sell the game, saying he has no use for it anymore [with a VERY few exceptions]. He also plans his playing of the game solely for getting cheevos, and it usually leads to some things that, imo, make the game A LOT less enjoyable. Example: Warriors Orochi 3. A good chunk of achievements in that game require grinding, grinding, and more grinding. For about two weeks, 8 hours at time, my friend played the same mission, over and over again, because it gave good progress towards a few cheevos. While he was being efficient in getting them, I felt it drew away from being able to enjoy the game. Would I love to 100% Warriors Orochi 3 someday, sure, but not at the cost of not having fun.

I do like my achievements, but they don't make the game. Enjoy your games. ^_^
    No power in the 'verse can stop me...

AF Lurker Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Snowman Hedgehog Pocky
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-17-2018 06:17 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Zainox-

Quote Originally Posted by Ranshiin View Post
    Problem is that a lot of games these days are more about the multiplayer than the story... or have no story at all. cough Titanfall cough.

True, I still have never finished a campaign for (most) Call of Duty/s and Battlefield. I just play them for the multiplayer. I usually start the story line, just to quit because I was never interested.

MY ANIME-PLANET WATCH LIST

AF FAMILY
    Astral_Mage - Younger Brother/Confetti Brother
    horrendous - Older Brother
    1nterest1ng - Confetti Brother

Senior Member mr.kudos is on a distinguished road mr.kudos's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-05-2017 11:00 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: gakibozutsu

Honestly, I play games for the story the trophies etc...are just sidelines...before we don't have this kinds of twist...Xbox 360 I think started the game achievements the ps3 came along...

Senior Member AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2016 10:21 PM
    Threads

I hate the fact that consoles even track gamer scores. I've owned my xbox 360 since 2007 and only have a gamer score of 4,309. It's because I don't buy and play every single hyped game that comes out. Even the games I've played I haven't unlocked all of the achievements because I play the game offline once and then play exclusively online.

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AllHopeInEclipse View Post
    I hate the fact that consoles even track gamer scores. I've owned my xbox 360 since 2007 and only have a gamer score of 4,309. It's because I don't buy and play every single hyped game that comes out. Even the games I've played I haven't unlocked all of the achievements because I play the game offline once and then play exclusively online.
    If you had higher gamescore you wouldn't hate it. Wink Wink.

Like I said earlier. Achievements are fun, heck you can even get rewards for unlocking them. They should not be the core reason to play games, but damn do they create memories.

Plus, you don't need to just buy hyped games lol.

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

Eh, gaming did just fine for twenty plus years without achievements. They're pointless and serve no purpose other then ego boosting. I'd just rather play a game my way and not boost an arbitrary number.

Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Trophies and Achievements

Quote Originally Posted by GameGeeks View Post
    Eh, gaming did just fine for twenty plus years without achievements. They're pointless and serve no purpose other then ego boosting. I'd just rather play a game my way and not boost an arbitrary number.
    "They serve no purpose other than ego boosting".

Yup, clueless as ever. You realize there were rewards tied in with achievements right? If you had a high gamerscore you actually get free games and plenty people got the X1 free.

Damn, the guy with the highest gamerscore got gold free for life and more.
    Last edited by Anime Forum; 03-25-2014 at 01:58 AM.

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Yoko Littner View Post

Yup, clueless as ever. You realize there were rewards tied in with achievements right? If you had a high gamerscore you actually get free games and plenty people got the X1 free.

Yes and the percentage of people who got those benefits are? Most don't get that and I don't see it as worth it for the time and energy it takes. The cost/effort to get those rewards probably outweigh the cost of simply buying said game instead.

how 2 u sociul plz? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Gifts Ice Cream Ice Cream Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-22-2017 11:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Yes and the percentage of people who got those benefits are? Most don't get that and I don't see it as worth it for the time and energy it takes. The cost/effort to get those rewards probably outweigh the cost of simply buying said game instead.
    I'd have to agree with this. That guy with a million gamerscore has spent far more money than Microsft would ever get from him normally.

There's a fine point between having an online score for your games to share with friends for fun to see who beat what first, and having an online score that you obsess over more than anything else. I do kinda enjoy getting achievements but I don't go out of my way to get all of them. I aim for 900 score per game. Hell, Blur is my favourite game and I haven't gotten 1000G on that (tbf I'm too lazy to complete the last one).
    : The Game. You just lost it. :

My signature was so old it broke. RIP signature.

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I got Killer Instinct for free which I later sold.

When I got my Xbox in 2007, I wasn't expecting to get things for free and I did it for completion and perfectionist reasons when it comes to games (I like, of course) not for ego-boosting because tbh I know people aren't gonna go specifically to check my profile.....So it was hard to brag so that was never my reason.

However, with the assumption that they might do the same with the next generation, it's stupid to spend so much just to get rewarded less. Unless you do it with the games you like and don't go out of your way JUST for that, I think that's okay...even though you are better off buying it yourself. But I mean through 7 years, there's gonna be a bunch of games a person may like so by the end of it, its possible to complete it without again like I said, goigg out of their way.

tl;dr You're clueless if you think they are just for ego-boosting because that's an over-generalization but you are even more stupid if you bought Three Xboxes from different regions and and three games of the same game from different regions, especially a Spongebob game and you're a triple idiot if they do it again just to get a reward less than you spent.

With the PS3, all games from all regions for the most part, share the same set of trophies.
    Last edited by Hanamaru Kunikida; 03-25-2014 at 12:14 PM.

Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou+ View Post
    I got Killer Instinct for free which I later sold.

When I got my Xbox in 2007, I wasn't expecting to get things for free and I did it for completion and perfectionist reasons when it comes to games (I like, of course) not for ego-boosting because tbh I know people aren't gonna go specifically to check my profile.....So it was hard to brag so that was never my reason.

However, with the assumption that they might do the same with the next generation, it's stupid to spend so much just to get rewarded less. Unless you do it with the games you like and don't go out of your way JUST for that, I think that's okay...even though you are better off buying it yourself. But I mean through 7 years, there's gonna be a bunch of games a person may like so by the end of it, its possible to complete it without again like I said, goigg out of their way.

tl;dr You're clueless if you think they are just for ego-boosting because that's an over-generalization but you are even more stupid if you bought Three Xboxes from different regions and and three games of the same game from different regions, especially a Spongebob game and you're a triple idiot if they do it again just to get a reward less than you spent.

With the PS3, all games from all regions for the most part, share the same set of trophies.
    Except when I tend to hear people talk about gamerscore it's always in a manor to boost themselves up. I get challenges. I've done self imposed restrictions in games before. But I don't need a score to validate it. And fine I'm happy to be clueless if it means I'm not wasting time and money. Now I get your side and that's fine but most I'm sure are going out of there way to raise these scores like the score matters. Hence my comment about the reward not being worth it.

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Except when I tend to hear people talk about gamerscore it's always in a manor to boost themselves up. I get challenges. I've done self imposed restrictions in games before. But I don't need a score to validate it. And fine I'm happy to be clueless if it means I'm not wasting time and money. Now I get your side and that's fine but most I'm sure are going out of there way to raise these scores like the score matters. Hence my comment about the reward not being worth it.
    Quite the opposite, I get YOU.

I just said it's stupid to waste your money on it..I never encouraged buying Spongebob to brag about your gamerscore. I said if you like the game, you should tru get the all the achievements/trophies.

What I did say was that it's not always about boosting about it to other people.

Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Let me rephrase what I said. Its true that "some" people get achievements to boost some online ego. Honestly if achievements / trophies is the core reason you play video games nowadays then you need to get a life and stop playing the game because you have officially become an addict.

Though, when I began getting achievements back in 2011 I wasn't yet aware Xbox would be giving out rewards for the achievements you unlock so I don't think its a fair claim saying its stupid for people to waste money on achievements for rewards because they didn't even know they were getting the rewards in the first place. I was just saying people did get the said rewards so that voids the "pointless" argument already.

Nothing is wrong with a challenge and nothing is wrong with going for achievements. Just don't let it consume you.

Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco's Avatar
    Gil
    Aggressive
    Gifts Movie Ticket Mercedes-Benz Green Tea
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-09-2022 09:40 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Achievements, in some cases can help you get through parts of the game you probably did not even know existed. Sometimes Achievements are all given to you as you progress the story too, so you'll get all of them anyway just by beating the story mode. I think The Walking Dead is like that. So you'll complete the game once you get all the achievements, and vice-versa, all at once.

Senior Member Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Systems Xbox 360 American Flag Ribbon AK47
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-30-2016 03:29 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Light Buster PSN ID: Lightbuster88

Personally, the achievements/trophies give me something to do so I'm not getting bored all the time.
    WARNING: This user is wanted for unauthorized access into Ultratech archives. If you see this user in person, please contact Ultratech immediately.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information