AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [Help - Windows] Help with an old XP user account

Senior Member Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare's Avatar
    Gil
    Angry
    Gifts Purple Ribbon Gabumon Cylon Centurion
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-03-2017 08:07 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default [Help - Windows] Help with an old XP user account

So my stepdad brought home this old tower from work running Windows XP. Whenever we log in it shows a pop-up windows that asks for a user name and password. It's not the typical lock-screen that Windows XP has, it's just a pop-up window on top of the desktop. Can't access anything without giving the credentials.

Is there a way to get rid of the account, or is he gonna have to track down the original user and get the password?

Copyright © 2013 FS FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD's Avatar
    Gil
    Lonely
    Gifts Fuuko Starfish Ice Cream Bamboo Cup
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-19-2023 07:16 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Default Re: Help with an old XP user account

That popup usually shows up in 2 scenarios; the normal log on was disabled or the OS is part of a domain. If it's the later, just reformat it and get something newer (Windows XP will reach EOL in April making it vulnerable to Internet threats). Dealing with domain enrolled PCs outside a domain network is a nightmare. o_o;; If it's not in a domain, reformat it and get something newer (due to the previous mentioned EOL). If for whatever reason you have to get into the OS, contact the original user (as you've said) or you can find tools online that will help you crack the passwords. Sadly I cannot provide any help regarding those tools, due to the fact that they can be used for malicious use. I'd rather avoid making public tutorials on how to crack OSes. o_o;;

3. Likes AllHopeInEclipse liked this post
    Senior Member AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2016 10:21 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet_Nightmare View Post
    So my stepdad brought home this old tower from work running Windows XP. Whenever we log in it shows a pop-up windows that asks for a user name and password. It's not the typical lock-screen that Windows XP has, it's just a pop-up window on top of the desktop. Can't access anything without giving the credentials.

Is there a way to get rid of the account, or is he gonna have to track down the original user and get the password?
    It sounds to me like it was a part of an Active Directory set up. Meaning the computer it self doesn't have a log in, but each user object on the server it was on did. Off the top of my head I don't know a way around it other than formatting it and installing your own OS. I'll poke around and see if I can find a solution.

Senior Member Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare's Avatar
    Gil
    Angry
    Gifts Purple Ribbon Gabumon Cylon Centurion
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-03-2017 08:07 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AllHopeInEclipse View Post
    Off the top of my head I don't know a way around it other than formatting it and installing your own OS.
    That's what I was thinking, but then again the tower is so damn old that he's considering just buying a new PC, ASSUMING we can't get around the login on this one.

Senior Member AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2016 10:21 PM
    Threads

That would be the easiest thing to do. You could get your stepdad to contact his IT department and see if he can have them switch it off the domain (Requiring you to take it to them as they're not likely to give out an admin password). If the comp it really that old it might just be easier to get a new one.

The true fan demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-19-2019 05:20 PM
    Threads

Windows XP does have a built in administrator account (I'm not 100% sure if you have to be in safe mode to access it) that should allow you to remove and add accounts, and I'm sure that you can also swap between the classic log in prompt and the more familiar windows XP account selection screen using a keyboard command (what this is and if it's actually true is beyond my google-fu at the moment).

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information