AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: rcpsetup_matomyil (I think it's from a Malvertisment)

Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pocket Watch Katana Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2019 09:03 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default rcpsetup_matomyil (I think it's from a Malvertisment)

A couple times this site has tried to deliver a drive-by-download a file called rcpsetup_matomyil_myil442191.exe Up until now I've always had multiple tabs open so I wasn't sure where it came from, though being the internet I suppose there's always a small chance it came from something else. Fortunately I've noticed and cancelled it every time.

Poking around I suspect it's a Malvertisment
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malvertising

Meaning essentially that someone is paying you to distribute malware through your site ads. I'm hoping you can do something about it.

Also if this becomes more of a problem on the internet, maybe you could consider selling an ad free experience as an alternate revenue stream?
    Last edited by sunnyside; 12-22-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Ace Kaitous YOU Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Hat Rayman Baboon With A Gun Bioshock Syringe
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-23-2024 09:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: kaitou ace42 PSN ID: kaitou42 Steam ID: kaitou_ace

Default Re: rcpsetup_matomyil (I think it's from a Malvertisment)

Hm... I've been going through the advertisers and haven't managed to find it so far. Our ad networks are fairly reputable, so it's not something they'd allow either, which means if it snuck through, they'd be looking out to kill it also.

Did you notice which ad was showing on the forum when it happened? Also, just to be on the safe side, have you tried an antivirus/antimalware scan?

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Happened to me as well, but to a worse degree. I know its nothing I've done on my PC to generate any sort of virus that would cause that to pop up.

Not sure whats up, but see if you can locate the issue! Thanks!
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou Ace View Post
    Did you notice which ad was showing on the forum when it happened? Also, just to be on the safe side, have you tried an antivirus/antimalware scan?
    I've afraid I didn't note what the banner was. I discovered the whole Malvertising thing when I started searching to figure out what that download could have been and anti-Malvertising sites came up (I figured you'd just been hacked or something).

Although on my phone I got an add on this site that was a grey almost square rectangle (so much shorter than a typical banner) that in white letters said something like "Free antivirus for Android devices" and it tossed up a pop up (twice) that said something like "Scan your device for viruses NOW". While I don't know for sure, I'm reasonably confident that was not from Norton and clicking on the thing woudln't end well for my Android.

I did run my antivirus program afterwards. It didn't find anything, but I did manage to cancel the download before it completed. (Although anti-virus programs often aren't so good against new threats anyway).

Hm... I've been going through the advertisers and haven't managed to find it so far. Our ad networks are fairly reputable, so it's not something they'd allow either, which means if it snuck through, they'd be looking out to kill it also.
    I'd imagine they would be. It sounds like it's actually rather difficult to deal with so long as the advertisers can be anonymous and does affect otherwise reputable ad networks. Though I imagine some are better and some are worse. I figure you should pass the word on in the hopes they can make it better, but I don't know how much else can be done. I'm guessing you can't restrict the permissions afforded to the ads. Maybe some kind of site announcement warning the kiddies? Or the pay for ad free thing.

The true fan demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-19-2019 05:20 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    Meaning essentially that someone is paying you to distribute malware through your site ads.
    That isn't entirely true as I doubt that any advertising company screens any of the adverts they receive for this kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    (Although anti-virus programs often aren't so good against new threats anyway).

I'd imagine they would be. It sounds like it's actually rather difficult to deal with so long as the advertisers can be anonymous and does affect otherwise reputable ad networks. Though I imagine some are better and some are worse. I figure you should pass the word on in the hopes they can make it better, but I don't know how much else can be done. I'm guessing you can't restrict the permissions afforded to the ads. Maybe some kind of site announcement warning the kiddies? Or the pay for ad free thing.
    No anti-virus is 100% effective against all the threats that are out there (although keeping software like java and flash up to date is something that should be done since some malware will take advantage of the vulnerabilities in older versions on those programs), and the malware is served by scripts embedded in the advert so some of your suggestions won't or can't be considered (although this kind of thing is why I have an ad blocker installed with restrictions lifted on trusted sites that serve their own adverts on other sites).

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

@Kaitou Ace ; I get weird redirect ads on mobile, and now also on desktop.

Redirects me to an online sex toy shop.

May want to look into that :P
    Last edited by Eris; 12-25-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post

Yeah, same here o_o.. I noticed it seems to pop up more often when in the misc section of the forum.

Ace Kaitous YOU Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

As in on the mobile themes? Neither of them is supposed to have any ads... I'll try to duplicate.

Regarding the original download, I think I've tracked down the network that the download is from, and dropped them a line. If I don't hear back from them soon, I'll be removing it. I'd say that I'll remove them first, but since it's a 2nd level network it'd take longer to remove them than it would to let them answer first.

Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

As in on the mobile themes? Neither of them is supposed to have any ads... I'll try to duplicate.
    If you have some kinda of AF app I don't have that. The website on my phone doesn't show with a m. address or anything either, it seems to just be "regular" AF on my Android (using Chrome).

Regarding the original download, I think I've tracked down the network that the download is from, and dropped them a line. If I don't hear back from them soon, I'll be removing it. I'd say that I'll remove them first, but since it's a 2nd level network it'd take longer to remove them than it would to let them answer first.
    Thanks! I appreciate your efforts.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

It happened again. @Kaitou Ace ; I made a thread in staff forum about it, containing the URL to the sex toy shop randomly AF redirects me to.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

I've gotten this issue as well, plus I've had some problems of ads loading up on a page to where I can't use the back button unless I click and hold to track back a few pages. I ran Hitman Pro on my computer and only found tracking cookies (ads.yahoo.com, advertising.com, atdmt.com, doubleclick.net, ru4.com, serving-sys.com). Malware bytes and MSE came up empty the day before.
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Any update if this got fixed?

Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Have there been any more occurrences so far? I know they were looking into it, and that they found at least one ad publisher in their network that had snuck it in. I've been assured it's being fixed and quickly, but with the holiday, it's always harder to get someone.

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Not yet for me, but due to the random nature I'm still on the look out. Will post if it happens again.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Have there been any more occurrences so far? I know they were looking into it, and that they found at least one ad publisher in their network that had snuck it in. I've been assured it's being fixed and quickly, but with the holiday, it's always harder to get someone.
    I got the sex toy shop one a couple days ago for the first time. I haven't had the other issues since around when I first mentioned them here. I'm glad this is getting looked into

Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Has yet to happen again and its been a while. I'm guessing its fixed?

Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Yoko Littner View Post
    Has yet to happen again and its been a while. I'm guessing its fixed?
    I've been told that it has, but I'm waiting to see if there are any more reports of it.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Haven't had the sex toy redirect yet, but I've still gotten some where it loads a redirect onto the page being viewed to where I have to almost open my page history before I can get back to the page previously viewed.

+ AH MUNNA EAT CHOO! + YaiiShi° has a reputation beyond repute YaiiShi° has a reputation beyond repute YaiiShi° has a reputation beyond repute YaiiShi° has a reputation beyond repute YaiiShi° has a reputation beyond repute YaiiShi° has a reputation beyond repute YaiiShi° has a reputation beyond repute YaiiShi° has a reputation beyond repute YaiiShi° has a reputation beyond repute YaiiShi° has a reputation beyond repute YaiiShi° has a reputation beyond repute YaiiShi°'s Avatar
    Gil
    Nerdy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-02-2015 03:36 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post

I get this aswell, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem.. o.o;;

Send me random PM's; I like random PM's

Closed Thread

Thread Information