AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [Help - Windows 8/Hardware] Windows upgrade, HDD formatting and memory question

Senior Member AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2016 10:21 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default [Help - Windows 8/Hardware] Windows upgrade, HDD formatting and memory question

Alright guys, this is a two question issue.

1st: I don't currently have an external hard drive to back up my data. I do have the data I want backed up on a separate HDD that is slaved. (Main is 500GB, Slave is an old 120GB IDE) I am planning on installing Windows 8 Professional onto this machine, currently running Windows 7 Home x64. My install method is running an ISO image through PowerISO to install. (Win8 ISO is legit, got it through MS Dreamspark because of school.) With this background info, I want to know if I disconnect the slave drive then run the install (which is a full install, not an upgrade to my knowledge) will I be able to hook the slave drive back up and get the data? Essentially using it like I would an external. Or would formatting become an issue?

2nd: My system is few years old (built in 2008), and the RAM I'm currently using is 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400 (DDR2 800). I have 2 open slots and I would like to add 4GB more, mostly because my VMware workstations have been a huge drain lately. The CL on this RAM is 6, timing is 6-6-6-18. Most of what I can find that is PC2-6400 is CL 5, 5-5-5-15. Could I use CL5 RAM? I've read that it will just default to the slower speed, but I've also read that it must manually adjusted in the BIOS. Also would the different timing default it to single channel from dual?

Thanks for any help.

Copyright © 2013 FS FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD's Avatar
    Gil
    Lonely
    Gifts Fuuko Starfish Ice Cream Bamboo Cup
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-19-2023 07:16 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Default Re: [Help - Operating system/Hardware] Windows upgrade, HDD formatting

1st: Unplugging the HDD is not necessary, but no, you will not lose any data if you do. I'd suggest you to use an USB stick to perform the install though, because the setup process will not allow you to reformat the drive, if you run it from Windows. Search this forum to learn how to make a bootable USB drive.

2nd: Yes, you can use CL5 RAM (just make sure they share the same power requirements), yes, it will default to the slowest one and yes, it will run on single channel. The only way to run on dual channel is to install memory with the same memory banks (same physical chips). The easier way to achieve this is to simply buy the same memory model you already have.

3. Thanks AllHopeInEclipse thanked for this post
    Senior Member AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2016 10:21 PM
    Threads

Default Re: [Help - Operating system/Hardware] Windows upgrade, HDD formatting

Quote Originally Posted by FlashD View Post
    1st: Unplugging the HDD is not necessary, but no, you will not lose any data if you do. I'd suggest you to use an USB stick to perform the install though, because the setup process will not allow you to reformat the drive, if you run it from Windows. Search this forum to learn how to make a bootable USB drive.

2nd: Yes, you can use CL5 RAM (just make sure they share the same power requirements), yes, it will default to the slowest one and yes, it will run on single channel. The only way to run on dual channel is to install memory with the same memory banks (same physical chips). The easier way to achieve this is to simply buy the same memory model you already have.
    I didn't even think to make a USB boot, but I was considering Burning it to DVD. This should work out nicely. As for the RAM, this is what I currently have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227269 Unfortunately it looks to be discontinued most everywhere (or available for $160 per 2GB), but interestingly the specs on this RAM are CL5 5-4-4-15, and 2.1v. I got my initial timing numbers from the 'Memory' tab in CPU-Z, but under the SPD tab in the EPP #1 column, it shows 5-4-4-15 @ 2.0v. ;.;

EDIT: Correction, this is my memory. http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemd...800SR2G&rid=10
    I just realized that the model number that CPU-Z shows is not the same as the newegg link.

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

We can actually mark this solved now. Crucial's website has a pretty nifty system scanner that shows RAM that meets your mobo and existing RAMs compatibility needs.
    Last edited by AllHopeInEclipse; 12-07-2013 at 01:41 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information