AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cowboy Bebop Criticism....

Junior Member sebastianhoward64 is on a distinguished road sebastianhoward64's Avatar
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-27-2013 03:30 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Cowboy Bebop Criticism....

I actually don't have any criticisms from the show as I love it, and the only thing I could complain about is I find Jet a bit dull outside of the episodes specifically centered on him and Ed's just crazy for the sake of being crazy. However, there was a criticism that I read the other day that did bother me and I was hoping someone on here could argue it.

The criticism, in its basic form, came down to, "Spike Spiegel is overrated as 90% of the time he's just standing around, trying to act cool." While I feel there's a hint of truth to this, as they really don't go into Spike's feelings and thoughts in a lot of episodes and instead have him be kinda quirky I still feel this is pretty much a lame criticism that could be argued pretty well. However, I have OCD and while trying to re-watch the show the criticism keeps popping up in my head so I was wondering if someone here could debase it, or explain why the criticism is wrong, or unfounded. Thank you for your time and thanks if you comment.

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Cookie Paperclip Hattori Hanzo Steel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-26-2014 12:06 PM
    Just down from the House of Crosses in Alabama.
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

Default Re: Cowboy Bebop Criticism....

Jet, dull? Dude, Jet's awesome. He's the down to earth, get things done, kind of guy. He uses his connections and probes into things like he used to as a cop. Spike isn't trying to act cool. He's a shylock. He does no more than he has to and gets things done in due time. He is the way he is because of how he grew up on the streets with the mafia and such. Ed is a computer programmer. To us she's nuts, but to other computer programmer's she's a genius.
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

Junior Member sebastianhoward64 is on a distinguished road sebastianhoward64's Avatar
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-27-2013 03:30 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBlade/13.666 View Post
    Jet, dull? Dude, Jet's awesome. He's the down to earth, get things done, kind of guy. He uses his connections and probes into things like he used to as a cop. Spike isn't trying to act cool. He's a shylock. He does no more than he has to and gets things done in due time. He is the way he is because of how he grew up on the streets with the mafia and such. Ed is a computer programmer. To us she's nuts, but to other computer programmer's she's a genius.

Well, Jet is an interesting character but in most of the episodes he's not really doing anything but cutting branches on his tree, getting pissy with Spike, or losing to Faye and walking around naked. I find the episodes centered on him (like him dealing with his ex-girlfriend leaving him, his ex-partner) very strong episodes. As for Ed, I think that maybe the point of the character was to show how anti-social people who grow up on computers can become. Ed is basically in her own little world and is not good socially at all. I feel her character was mostly added as a counter-foil to the grim seriousness of the rest of the cast. You could say Faye is a humor character but that only lasts up until we go into her past, and realize she doesn't know where she came from making her a more credible person rather than just some chick who keeps on losing all her money, and acts selfish.

On Spike, that's how I perceived him too. If you think back to the episode were the one dude is trying to learn how to fight from Spike, Spike isn't ignoring the guy because he's trying to act cool. He's doing it because he doesn't like attention and just wants to be left alone. At the same time I can kinda see were this guys criticism would come from, as sometimes it almost seems as Spike's just standing around acting cool and being kinda dickish for no real reason. But yeah, good points.

I think the reason Jet might come across as boring to me is just because I'm a younger guy, seventeen and I just don't find bulkier, older dudes that exciting (unless they're done in a less realistic way like Frank Castle, Stallone, etc..) and Spike appeals more to the, "Holy grozit, this is so excitable," and maybe if there wasn't such a contrast I would find Jet more interesting.

Member marisauna is on a distinguished road marisauna's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-04-2014 02:58 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Marisauna

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianhoward64 View Post
    Well, Jet is an interesting character but in most of the episodes he's not really doing anything but cutting branches on his tree, getting pissy with Spike, or losing to Faye and walking around naked.
    That's exactly why Jet is my favorite character. As for criticisms, well, science fiction isn't really all that interesting to me unless it's military science fiction. But that's more of a personal thing. As for criticisms, I personally didn't like Ed. I found her unneccesary to the plot and annoying. I actually have only watched Session 17 and up because I arrived late for Bebop on Adult Swim's Toonami revival, but I'd say I liked what I've seen of the series a lot and I plan on buying the box set after I finish VOTOMS.

Member Darksocks has a reputation beyond repute Darksocks has a reputation beyond repute Darksocks has a reputation beyond repute Darksocks has a reputation beyond repute Darksocks has a reputation beyond repute Darksocks has a reputation beyond repute Darksocks has a reputation beyond repute Darksocks has a reputation beyond repute Darksocks has a reputation beyond repute Darksocks has a reputation beyond repute Darksocks has a reputation beyond repute Darksocks's Avatar
    Gil
    Chatty
    Gifts Gir Kill Bill Helmet Sheep
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-09-2013 04:58 AM
    Threads

I hate Ein the most. She just stands around all day being a dog. WHERE IS THE CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT!? I would have liked to have seen an episode where Ein met an ex-girlfriend or was haunted by his/her (can't remember) past .

but on a more serious note i would like to say that i never really like Spike's character. As you say he just stood around and tried not to be bothered by much. But paradoxically that is what i like about the character. the creators didn't FORCE you to like him like some shows do. He was what he was. Sometimes he was badass but mostly he was just a jackass.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information