AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: OOC: RP Discussion/Idea thread

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2021 05:53 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

Default OOC: RP Discussion/Idea thread

Have an idea but arent sure if others would be interested? Or if you need help developing that idea further? Looking for a Co-Mod? Then post about it here.

You can also discuss ideas for current running RPs if you feel the game has become 'stuck' or uninteresting.

This will be a great tool for others to get feedback from their fellow players to help the RPs and their game creators =]

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    (:| |: )
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

2. Thanks Tetsanosuke thanked for this post
    Likes Tetsanosuke liked this post
    Dislikes ELR disliked this post
    The Lemon Sorceress Princess Lemon has a reputation beyond repute Princess Lemon has a reputation beyond repute Princess Lemon has a reputation beyond repute Princess Lemon has a reputation beyond repute Princess Lemon has a reputation beyond repute Princess Lemon has a reputation beyond repute Princess Lemon has a reputation beyond repute Princess Lemon has a reputation beyond repute Princess Lemon has a reputation beyond repute Princess Lemon has a reputation beyond repute Princess Lemon has a reputation beyond repute Princess Lemon's Avatar
    Gil
    Starving
    Gifts Kill Bill Katana Hattori Hanzo Steel
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-12-2014 12:08 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: overlorddarthfluffles

Default Re: OOC: RP Discussion/Idea thread

Oh man, this thread is a godsend!

I gave a premise in another thread but I can give it here again:

So far the premise is roughly a country that was once ruled by an emperor has now boiled down to various city states trying to reclaim the title themselves since the Emperor disappeared and had no heir and the council has no idea what to do.

I was thinking of giving another adventure to it, like the old castle where the Emperor was has turned to ruin and rumors of hidden treasure lay in for anyone skilled enough to plunge into it. This way it can go into a group of people adventuring into ruins or end up in total war. Any outcome.

Anyone interested in a setting like that? Any suggestions?

4. Likes Tetsanosuke liked this post
    The Poet Sword Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-28-2019 05:06 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Lemon View Post
    Oh man, this thread is a godsend!

I gave a premise in another thread but I can give it here again:

So far the premise is roughly a country that was once ruled by an emperor has now boiled down to various city states trying to reclaim the title themselves since the Emperor disappeared and had no heir and the council has no idea what to do.

I was thinking of giving another adventure to it, like the old castle where the Emperor was has turned to ruin and rumors of hidden treasure lay in for anyone skilled enough to plunge into it. This way it can go into a group of people adventuring into ruins or end up in total war. Any outcome.

Anyone interested in a setting like that? Any suggestions?
    As in the other thread, my interest is piqued.

I noticed in the Bard Academy people had to write in OOC to find character interaction (which in all my years Role-playing online, albeit my most recent haven't been deep into forum RP, seems uncanny). I would suggest that Princess Lemon's idea incorporate an element that brings the characters together in some way, at least to notice each other, and then go from there.

Experienced tabletop game fans might muse at the 'tavern scene' idea, which is a generic situation that pulls characters in a story together. Too many people scattered in distant places can create a sinkhole for character interaction, and that can sometimes lead the characters' parts of the story feel hanging on the edge.

It's not a hard and fast rule, and such an implementation is not always necessary. I've been in numerous RPs and they managed for the most part to find solidity in some part of the core of the story. It's these natural sorts of gravitational pulls in co-writing that I find myself fond of, but it doesn't always happen.

I guess it might be fair to say that, in a RP, no author is a rock. There will be generic 'loner' characters and sometimes people slip through the cracks. The hope remains that these characters have enough of a setting to meaningfully contribute to the story as a whole. As well as enough ink in their pens, if you catch the metaphor.

What am I getting at with all this rambling? A little bit of pre-game set-up is never a bad thing. It's fun to just make characters and see what happens, but when we find ourselves having trouble gravitating towards a continuous and consistent story; people get lost. It would be nice if we could play through and bring a story to a finish more often.

Now that this tangent is over, I wonder if folks would be interested in a deeply (reasonably) developed background setting, with a core list of generally set races and types of phenomenon in and around the world?

Perhaps the world was never meant to make perfect sense.

how 2 u sociul plz? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Gifts Ice Cream Ice Cream Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-22-2017 11:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Those ideas would sound interesting, but it depends on the sorts of characters/races that could take part. Since I'm weird, and only RP one character these days (... who is a dragon. Sue me. >_>).

If I were to take part in Lemon's suggestion, for example, my character would probably be in it 'just for the hell of it'. Like, he's just interested in the rumoured treasure, or he's some sort of hired hand/mercenary paid to help one side of the civil struggle. -shrug.-

I do also agree with what Tetsanosuke said. Most RPs I've done have usually had the main characters 'meet' in some chance place, such as a tavern where they've all gone with the same interests, talk over beers and decide to band up. Possibly slightly cliche but it works as a means to introduce each character to one another and to provide a basis on how the whole thing progresses from.

( Tetsanosuke may know me better as Mac, btw ... we used to RP in the Chat way back in the era that people RP'd in the Chat. )

That said, if there's any sort of adventure-based RP of some variety where my character might be able to fit in - whether magic is involved or not, supernatural/paranormal things or not, etc. - I would be more than happy to try to join in. ((Obviously this goes without saying that thus far no currently-running RPs have my interest or a setting my character fits in; I know sunnyside once discussed a potential RP setting with me and a few others due to an argument in Misc over furries, but nothing ever came of that O_o))
    : The Game. You just lost it. :

My signature was so old it broke. RIP signature.

7. Likes Tetsanosuke liked this post
    The Lemon Sorceress Princess Lemon has a reputation beyond repute Princess Lemon has a reputation beyond repute Princess Lemon has a reputation beyond repute Princess Lemon has a reputation beyond repute Princess Lemon has a reputation beyond repute Princess Lemon has a reputation beyond repute Princess Lemon has a reputation beyond repute Princess Lemon has a reputation beyond repute Princess Lemon has a reputation beyond repute Princess Lemon has a reputation beyond repute Princess Lemon has a reputation beyond repute Princess Lemon's Avatar
    Gil
    Starving
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Originally I was thinking of classic D&D races (Elf, Dwarf, Human, Gnome, etc) but expand and allow other things and potentially any race the player wants to create or incorporate into the game. So I wouldn't see the issue of a dragon being in it?

When you say Dragon do you mean full sized LARGE DRAGON, or a dragon in a humanoid shape? Either way I'm sure I could fit a dragon in.

I was also thinking of another RP idea, kind of like a tweaked version of what I have now, but more neo-medieval. So typical Final Fantasy stuff, in the future with MAGIC and melee weapons are still popular (something to make Tetsanosuke happy, ENERGY BLADES) while guns are still in existence (GUNBLADES)

My drive back today just gave me a surge of inspiration so I'm all over the place now derp derp derp

9. Likes Tetsanosuke liked this post
    Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pocket Watch Katana Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2019 09:03 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsanosuke View Post
    What am I getting at with all this rambling? A little bit of pre-game set-up is never a bad thing.
    Actually Luzifer's recent game incorporated that, and it seemed to generate a lot of excitement in the sign in and OOC threads as well as probably a fair bit of PMing. Of course the game itself went down in flames almost immediately. But it shows the potential here for that sort of approach.

That said while I quite enjoy the diversity of interesting individuals here on AF, they are a wildly unreliable bunch. What I mean is that if you have a group of people with combined backstories and plot elements such that all of them need to be present and active to advance the game...than you're game is probably going to die fast (possibly before it even starts as you might lose a player partway through the development process).

Now that this tangent is over, I wonder if folks would be interested in a deeply (reasonably) developed background setting, with a core list of generally set races and types of phenomenon in and around the world?
    Are you offering to run a game as well?

Originally I was thinking of classic D&D races (Elf, Dwarf, Human, Gnome, etc) but expand and allow other things and potentially any race the player wants to create or incorporate into the game. So I wouldn't see the issue of a dragon being in it?

When you say Dragon do you mean full sized LARGE DRAGON, or a dragon in a humanoid shape? Either way I'm sure I could fit a dragon in.

I was also thinking of another RP idea, kind of like a tweaked version of what I have now, but more neo-medieval. So typical Final Fantasy stuff, in the future with MAGIC and melee weapons are still popular (something to make Tetsanosuke happy, ENERGY BLADES) while guns are still in existence (GUNBLADES)

My drive back today just gave me a surge of inspiration so I'm all over the place now derp derp derp
    I'm tempted to once again throw out a list of game ideas of my own to run after Nightmarchers. That said, the last time I did that they picked Nightmarchers, and while I've enjoyed the game I'm not sure it was actually such a good fit for the forum.

What I'm saying is that very broad setting information may not be that informative (though I guess it might indicate how many sign ups you'd get which I suppose is important).

I'd suggest picking something that you think you'll enjoy GMing. A lot of games die by GM abandonment, so think about the sort of things that might be going on that could make you want to log in every day and read mounds of our writing. :P

I'd also suggest not putting all your energy into world building. Actually I find world building rather fun, and I suspect you do as well. What needs some energy is thinking over what people will be doing post by post. Remember this isn't quite the typical tabletop crowd and even if they were you can't exactly roll out a battlemat here. So far I've found they usually don't take well to tabletopish encounters. Of course your experience could differ, and I've only run two games here so as always take my advice with a grain of salt .
    Last edited by sunnyside; 11-11-2013 at 11:00 PM.

11. Likes Tetsanosuke liked this post
    Gil
    Starving
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    That said while I quite enjoy the diversity of interesting individuals here on AF, they are a wildly unreliable bunch. What I mean is that if you have a group of people with combined backstories and plot elements such that all of them need to be present and active to advance the game...than you're game is probably going to die fast (possibly before it even starts as you might lose a player partway through the development process).
    A bit of pre-game planning seemed to work out, even with a few losses halfway through. People seemed to push, but you do have a solid point. As we seen, without everyone there it can take a hard hit (I also think us not knowing how it was going to be ran gave a little blow to it as well).

I think a set up of making players at least in the same location would be good. Such as everyone being in some major city. This way people can do their own little thing, but within the vicinity of another player. But maybe that's assuming/hoping for too much? It looked, from what I've seen, after a bit some people started looking for interaction (even if it was in OOC threads).

Actually before I left MI for CA, Tetsano here was telling me of how he'd (if he had the time I believe)been thinking of running an RP based of nWoD Geist: Sin-eaters. I think the premise of that would be catching to people here. I don't know how he'd run it, but I know I'd sure as butts join up for that (not quickly as I would Mage or Vampire though).

So @Tetsanosuke maybe if you get the time you can work on the RP? Up to you tho. I know you got your D&D campaign going, unless Josh gets his to replace yours. Reminds me, I need to skype call in one of these days [hope you guys don't mind if my gf is along for the ride]

BUT I DON'T MEAN TO MAKE THIS TOO PERSONAL, my bad!

I'm tempted to once again throw out a list of game ideas of my own to run after Nightmarchers. That said, the last time I did that they picked Nightmarchers, and while I've enjoyed the game I'm not sure it was actually such a good fit for the forum.
    Didn't you mention of running a cyberpunk RP of your own? Or at least mentioned tempted to? If so, that'd be really cool. However I'm biased since I love cyberpunk and the cyberpunk RP did die out.

Otherwise a list may be a cool idea.

I'd also suggest not putting all your energy into world building. Actually I find world building rather fun, and I suspect you do as well. What needs some energy is thinking over what people will be doing post by post. Remember this isn't quite the typical tabletop crowd and even if they were you can't exactly roll out a battlemat here. So far I've found they usually don't take well to tabletopish encounters. Of course your experience could differ, and I've only run two games here so as always take my advice with a grain of salt .
    Oh man, I LOVE world building and will admit I have the flaw of putting too much into it.

And I really shouldn't look at this as a means of doing a tabletop game, since as you pointed out not everyone is the type for that. I was thinking of some events mid RP like, let us say that events lead to a giant creature attacking a city of something; I would RP out that creature as people around the area fought it. Just to provide a challenge, but I was worried how that would go out. People may not be into that.

It'd be also cool if others could provide input of what they want?

I saw Sinon make mention of a demon RP, which honestly fits to a character I wrote up perfectly and that'd be nifty to do depending.

I don't want to rush working on an RP, but man getting another one out sure would be swell.

13. Likes Tetsanosuke liked this post
    The Poet Sword Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ranshiin View Post
    Those ideas would sound interesting, but it depends on the sorts of characters/races that could take part. Since I'm weird, and only RP one character these days (... who is a dragon. Sue me. >_>).

If I were to take part in Lemon's suggestion, for example, my character would probably be in it 'just for the hell of it'. Like, he's just interested in the rumoured treasure, or he's some sort of hired hand/mercenary paid to help one side of the civil struggle. -shrug.-

I do also agree with what Tetsanosuke said. Most RPs I've done have usually had the main characters 'meet' in some chance place, such as a tavern where they've all gone with the same interests, talk over beers and decide to band up. Possibly slightly cliche but it works as a means to introduce each character to one another and to provide a basis on how the whole thing progresses from.

( Tetsanosuke may know me better as Mac, btw ... we used to RP in the Chat way back in the era that people RP'd in the Chat. )
    I don't think I've ever read a post by you in the forum, through all of these years. I'm pleasantly surprised this thread piqued your interest.

Maaaan you know how much I love GUNblades and ENERGYblades. Those were things my old Endless Ocean RP world had. Even with all of its detail it didn't manage to lift off for long. Maybe one day I'll re-write it again. Maybe.

Actually Luzifer's recent game incorporated that, and it seemed to generate a lot of excitement in the sign in and OOC threads as well as probably a fair bit of PMing. Of course the game itself went down in flames almost immediately. But it shows the potential here for that sort of approach.
    I'm with Princess on that note. Luzzy threw us a bit of a curve-ball, and when things started dying down, it seems like he might've gotten bogged down by school (as far as I remember him mentioning more recently). But boy did that game catch flame quick, and so did my inspiration. It seems like some of our brightest flames wink out the quickest.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside
    Hmm. Then it might be frugal to not depend on combining the back-stories as much as setting up a sort of environment conducive to bringing the story together. How to approach that, I'm sure, will take some thought.

Before Princess hit up California I was thinking about creating a game using the fluff from the World of Darkness game "Geist: The Sineaters". I was debating if I wanted to try a more Gm to Player system with simplified stats and dice mechanics for events, but it might be too slow and sluggish here. You have a valid point about our environment. It doesn't help that school and work is a factor. Oh, to get older!

Since the aforementioned time however, I have been running an actual table of it at my previous community college every week. The group there are more accustomed to games like DnD or Pathfinder or GURPS, and this will be my second attempt at Storytelling an nWoD game there (first being Vampire The Requiem). It's turning out a fair bit better than my try with vampire, probably because the group finds the games' concepts much more interesting (and this helps me keep in my comfort zone).

Perhaps we need to find a way to appeal to our community in a deeper sense, or maybe it's the depth that's the problem? I wouldn't advocate the latter, but eh.

I'd suggest picking something that you think you'll enjoy GMing. A lot of games die by GM abandonment, so think about the sort of things that might be going on that could make you want to log in every day and read mounds of our writing. :P
    A very fine point to make, as I've speculated earlier, part of the reason the cyberpunk game died was probably Luzzy's schedule.

You're right, the community here isn't necessarily table-top inclined. I've been on here and roleplaying here back before I even started playing DnD, or any table top game. I think maybe my expectations are a bit clouded over by that experience, and being nostalgic doesn't help (this community has been in my life since my teen years, so there is no shortage memories and experiences revolving around it) .

A bit of pre-game planning seemed to work out, even with a few losses halfway through. People seemed to push, but you do have a solid point. As we seen, without everyone there it can take a hard hit (I also think us not knowing how it was going to be ran gave a little blow to it as well).
    Terra firma broton-torpedoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Lemon
    I think a set up of making players at least in the same location would be good. Such as everyone being in some major city. This way people can do their own little thing, but within the vicinity of another player. But maybe that's assuming/hoping for too much? It looked, from what I've seen, after a bit some people started looking for interaction (even if it was in OOC threads).
    I've always pondered other uses for the OOC threads, as there seems to be plenty potential for it.

But having every character start in the same place is a good start for the game (perhaps most games), I feel.

Actually before I left MI for CA, Tetsano here was telling me of how he'd (if he had the time I believe)been thinking of running an RP based of nWoD Geist: Sin-eaters. I think the premise of that would be catching to people here. I don't know how he'd run it, but I know I'd sure as butts join up for that (not quickly as I would Mage or Vampire though).
    Yeah, as I described earlier in my post, the idea was there. I still think that making a Geist game on here, and running it somewhat beside my current game could be a fun idea. The PCs on here could make another krewe, or make for interesting NPCS for the PCs at the college. Perhaps vice-versa.

But other World of Darkness games are not out of the question. Can't forget, we basically missed out on any chance of experiencing "Changeling: The Lost" during this autumn season. If I do end up finding enough energy, and perhaps time, I might slip into on of those games as a background idea for one here.

So @Tetsanosuke maybe if you get the time you can work on the RP? Up to you tho. I know you got your D&D campaign going, unless Josh gets his to replace yours. Reminds me, I need to skype call in one of these days [hope you guys don't mind if my gf is along for the ride]
    To be honest, the Lunaria game has almost come to a drop, as our Noah has been absent, and half the party contains basically new characters. Not to mention that Noah almost the driving force that would allow the party a fair chance at destroying the Undead Citidel.

I have a game based off of the world of Dishonored started, but the interest in tenuous at best, if anything we are hoping Elli gets time off so we can immerse ourselves in his game again. Y'know, I've been DMing and STing so long I almost can't pass up the chance to play as a character.

However, this is not outright dissuading me from starting a game here or trying to keep up with games I find 'clicking' to come. I just need to ponder on the ideas, and get some feedback on interest.

]
    I'll second that thought.

Oh man, I LOVE world building and will admit I have the flaw of putting too much into it.
    Recently my flaw is relying too much on improvisation. For whatever reason it is becoming harder and harder for me to write big things down.

It'd be also cool if others could provide input of what they want?
    You know me man. I love it when things come together. When they take full circle and remain relevant even later in a game. If anything it's the web of intrigue that even the most gruesome adventures can spin, or perhaps the most careful and precise. As long as it's in good taste, I can get into Fantasy Medieval and it's Neo counterpart.

how 2 u sociul plz? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

This guy. He's about seven foot tall.

Still, so long as the setting and 'world' is one that's interesting enough to me and one that I can make him fit into, I'm not really too fussed about what happens.

If you want my honest opinion, my character's development comes from an RP I've been doing with a friend on another forum for the last four/five years;

The world's a sort of mix of middle-ages/slight steampunk with some small modern things such as electricity ... think anime such as Rune Soldier Louie or Slayers, or maybe even FMA, that have 'basic' but yet relatively modern-looking worlds that have a fair reliance on magic and supernatural happenings. A good example being the world doesn't have cars or computers, people travel by foot or horseback, and there are a lot of wild monsters on the paths between towns and cities.

The plot in that RP started off as that my character was saved by hers and as a result had to accompany her on her travels to repay her, but over the time we developed more ideas for plots and now the two are essentially in big trouble with the criminal underworld, who want my character dead and my friend's character captured in order to take control of her magic powers.

I decided to spoiler that in case you didn't want to read it, but if anybody gets interested in that world I can explain it more. Same with my character. I usually find it quite fun to just discuss things like potential geography and lore in an RP world, as those sorts of things make it more immersive and realistic.

Anyways, all that said you don't necessarily have to precisely cater the world to fit mine or Tetsanosuke's characters, I'm more than happy to modify my character to fit into the world if there are different things there. Just so long as it's a world and plot that interests me and that he can fit into, I'll be happy, so go wild with what you can think of if you want to.

Though both the previously-mentioned idea and the neo-medieval world would work good. =)

I don't think I've ever read a post by you in the forum, through all of these years. I'm pleasantly surprised this thread piqued your interest.

You know me man. I love it when things come together. When they take full circle and remain relevant even later in a game. If anything it's the web of intrigue that even the most gruesome adventures can spin, or perhaps the most careful and precise. As long as it's in good taste, I can get into Fantasy Medieval and it's Neo counterpart.
    I don't really post a lot, I tend to just stick to moderating my forums these days since most of my other time is spent either playing Borderlands 2, streaming me playing Borderlands 2 (/plug) or RPing with friends. And, as I said, none of the ongoing RPs here ever took my interest. I think out of all the years I've been here I've only ever taken interest in two RPs and taken part in one, and that one died out about halfway through when the OP became too busy with school/work and couldn't continue to develop the plot.

That said, I knew you'd recognise my name from the chatroom. Yes, once upon a time I wasn't a mod. How times change.

Anywho, I quoted the last thing you said because it interested me, even if I didn't understand all of it. It just made me think of consistency in an RP world, which I'm a bit of a stickler for provided I can remember it. Like, something happens early in an RP like a town being wrecked, and then much further along the RP you might go back to that same town and see it's been repaired, or possibly still in the midst of being fixed with buildings still being rebuilt, maybe someone important died. Or maybe the town was abandoned and you go back to find it empty and torn-down, maybe bandits or wild animals have moved in on it because everyone else fled.

Things like that are a basic sense of action and consequence. It helps to tie into the immersion of the world when things you do have an impact on the world that you can see months or possibly years into the story. Or that's how I feel, anyway. Maybe you were talking about something else entirely, but it's what came to mind for me. None of that god-modding 'everything is perfect' BS that used to happen in 2006/2007/2008. Hell, even my character has some very in-grown and deliberate weaknesses.

Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Rather a lot more that I have time to comment on, but interesting stuff from @Tetsanosuke , @Princess Lemon , and @Ranshiin

I suppose I already have something like that. These are the games I'm most confident in and in most cases have put the most world building (and the even more important game design/logistics efforts!) into. There are more that I'd like to run, but I worry they wouldn't actually fly here. I'll divide them into catagories.

Shorts- these games are meant to run for only maybe six months and could complete in less than 2000 posts. The idea is that the short timeframe might entice players to stick around and actually complete the game as opposed to drifting off. It also forces my GMing to be "tighter" in order to facilitate meeting that sort of a timescale. These might work better here.

Inferno- This is a cyberpunk game set in the not-too distant future in a somewhat fictionalized version of Japan. There is no magic nor different races. But the internet is wireless and everywhere and people can swap out their bodies and most of their brains for cyberized versions. There would be two types of characters "plot" characters are intended to be prominent individuals. Rock stars, idols, writers, and so on. But they are each ensnared by blackmail, though each has a different individual doing this to them. Forced to take them out to social occasions and pay them money. The other type of characters are "assets." These characters have a verity of skills useful towards assisting the "plot" characters with their problems. Assets and plot characters could have a backstory link, alternatively there is a nightclub, Dante's Inferno, that is relevant to the plot and can serve as a setting to connect individuals. First there is the blackmail issue to deal with, and the plot develops from there, though obviously on a tighter timeline.

High School at the End of time- The present age is coming to an end and another will be born from it. But what is the place and what is the force that will guide the coming cataclysm and creation? A bunch of fights to the death in mortal combat? A worldwide war over a holy artifact? No. The force is love, the place is an otherwise unassuming high school, and, while some know the truth, at the moment neither the students nor the human seeming supernatural denizens drawn to the place have any idea that anything more is at stake than having a fun Friday night. This is a slice of life game with a twist. I think it would work well on AF and has the GM advantage that I don't have to get players to make it through certain milestones to wrap the game up. The ending can, if necessary, come out of nowhere at the appropriate time.

Cultural exchange game- This is a recent idea, and would require me to recruit a series of co-GMs. This game leverages the diversity we have here on Anime forum. Players would take the role of college students in an international program sending them around the world. The Co-GMs would then be people who are from a certain location, and would be able to provide the flavor of the place. Antics and crazy hypothetic situations ensue, hopefully alongside pics of people and locations of the place. I like the idea of maybe actually learning something, players and co-GMs could trade places, and nobody would have to be a co-GM for too long.

"Long" games (They aren't supposed to be what I would have considered "long" but rather would be expected to have similar post counts to my last two games)

Seven Towers - This is a fantasy cultural mixing game where players have a lot of freedom to enjoy a more slice of life play style, a philosophical debate play style, a solve individual plot arcs style, or a "try to save the world" style. Actually swapping between those periodically might work best. The setting is a magic heavy post-apocalyptic world. , where Magics of Mass Destruction effectively eliminated most nations leaving some survivor groups. Over time these cultures grew, splintered off, and continued expanding. Now they are starting to bump up against each other and conflict is growing, there has already been another "world war" without the use of the incredibly destructive sorts of magics. However after those bitter battles ancient banned rituals are being researched again, and the world is marching towards a second apocalypse. However some individuals have created a magic college with the idea of bringing youth from the different conflicting cultures together in the hopes they might cause change in their own cultures. However the problems are complex and aren't going to be solved by finding a bad guy and stabbing them in the face. Players would be from one of seven cultures; however they would be given considerable freedom in defining their subculture variant on the theme and would be expected to have come from different city states and survivor clusters. Of all the games here this one has the most "world building" behind it and there might be a lot of text to read to sign up. However I've actually be impressed with players being willing to go through stuff in other sign in threads.

Magic Mixer sequel - While I think the Magic Mixer format worked very well here on AF, and you can take a look at the sign in and original thread to get some idea of what it might be like, I don't know how many originals are around, and being a sequel to a game that they didn't participate in might turn off the new players that would be needed.

Blended community games - These games contain the idea of blending together different online communities that I have interacted with to varying degrees. The logistics of actually making this happen may make them impractical, but I find the idea highly interesting.

Green Brass- This is a blending with the Trekkie community. The idea being that after the Dominion war a lot of the experienced Starfleet officers lost a great deal of the idealism and restrictions of the Federation. Turning to banned practices and equipment to survive and losing some faith in the way the Federation does things. As a result they've been demoted and more recent graduates have been given temporary promotions so they can lead ships. AF type people would generally take the position of these recent graduates. You'd take roles like Captain, Executive Officer, or "Chief" spots. I'm aware you aren't experts on all things Trek, but the people you're commanding would be Trekkies and they'd be competent in those regards. I think that would create an interesting dynamic.

Nav'hai - Blending with the James Cameron's Avatar community. Being Na'vi wonks they would take the part of the natives, whereas everyone else would take the part of the Nav'hai, a new wave of "people" sent from earth, but with their minds currently occupying genetic creations that look like a combination of a Na'vi, a human, and an Orc (though plastic surgery is an option to pretty individuals up). Could the Na'vi sell the newcomers on their way of life?

Shadowrun: New Blood - Shadowrun is a popular tabletop RPG set in a near future dystopian world of high tech and low life where magic has returned and exists alongside the ever-present digital matrix and cyber ware implants. I envision two groups. One would be a more typical SR team doing more typical SR missions for Nuyen. The other group would be college kids in a university set out in the desolate Redmond Barrens of Seattle due to how cheap the land is out there. A huge wall separating the university kids from the denizens living in crushing poverty outside. The idea would be to create backstory links between the kids and the runners and play with themes related to that.

Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I think due to my lack of interest in Star Trek, Avatar and having no idea what Shadowrun is, I would probably struggle with those. And, not to be a killjoy, but I don't see myself creating a 'new' character for this, but just changing the backstory/abilities of the one main I have.

Still, those ideas are interesting to read. I'm gonna sit and wait to see what everyone else interested thinks of them or if Lemon or Tetsanosuke have any other ideas they thought up during the day.

Gil
    Starving
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Maaaan you know how much I love GUNblades and ENERGYblades. Those were things my old Endless Ocean RP world had. Even with all of its detail it didn't manage to lift off for long. Maybe one day I'll re-write it again. Maybe.

I know you LOVE EM, and I dig em too. They're really fun in an RP universe. Otherwise you should definitely give Endless Ocean a reboot. You may not be able to get super specific like you did on the other forum, but you can let other peoples imagination take off since you don't have to design weapons fit for a tabletop game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsanosuke
    To be honest, the Lunaria game has almost come to a drop, as our Noah has been absent, and half the party contains basically new characters. Not to mention that Noah almost the driving force that would allow the party a fair chance at destroying the Undead Citidel.

However, this is not outright dissuading me from starting a game here or trying to keep up with games I find 'clicking' to come. I just need to ponder on the ideas, and get some feedback on interest.
    Ah, from what Josh told me, things are starting to really slow down. And right, we had that big Undead Citadel threatening the world. We let that thing sit for far too long. Oh well, we made it far in that game (I even got to Level 19, granted that was due to it being my last day but being able to be a 19th level Wizard hurf hurf).

However, maybe you should take a break from DMing/STing on Saturday? Assuming anyone has other things they can do. You may have to bite through it, but even let John DM if he has time? This gives you a break and can character up.

I ALSO MAY OR MAY NOT BE SUGGESTING IF YOU HAVE THE ENERGY AND TIME, think of an RP here. I mean what? Not at all.

But in all honestly, I would love to see Endless Ocean come back again, or your Geist RP. Even if you have anything else in mind, I'm sure I'd dig it.

This guy. He's about seven foot tall.

Still, so long as the setting and 'world' is one that's interesting enough to me and one that I can make him fit into, I'm not really too fussed about what happens.

Anyways, all that said you don't necessarily have to precisely cater the world to fit mine or Tetsanosuke's characters, I'm more than happy to modify my character to fit into the world if there are different things there. Just so long as it's a world and plot that interests me and that he can fit into, I'll be happy, so go wild with what you can think of if you want to.
    I read the spoiler, and that's pretty nifty. I won't aim to cater to peoples character, but I'm pretty sure the two ideas I've mentioned could easily home dragons like that. So I'll still bounce around with my idea, and hopefully you find it cool to join up with. If so, awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsanosuke

Quote Originally Posted by Ranshiin
    Anywho, I quoted the last thing you said because it interested me, even if I didn't understand all of it. It just made me think of consistency in an RP world, which I'm a bit of a stickler for provided I can remember it. Like, something happens early in an RP like a town being wrecked, and then much further along the RP you might go back to that same town and see it's been repaired, or possibly still in the midst of being fixed with buildings still being rebuilt, maybe someone important died. Or maybe the town was abandoned and you go back to find it empty and torn-down, maybe bandits or wild animals have moved in on it because everyone else fled.

Things like that are a basic sense of action and consequence. It helps to tie into the immersion of the world when things you do have an impact on the world that you can see months or possibly years into the story. Or that's how I feel, anyway. Maybe you were talking about something else entirely, but it's what came to mind for me. None of that god-modding 'everything is perfect' BS that used to happen in 2006/2007/2008. Hell, even my character has some very in-grown and deliberate weaknesses.
    I think that is what Tetsano here meant. If so, I enjoy it too. I really love the cause and effect. As your example stated, I would try to do things like that in any RP I run from now on. Sure the players are in a way the "main characters" but life goes on outside them. Things happen; people die, towns ruin, political wheels turn.

Even though I won't make my RP dice based or tabletop-esque for the players, I'm still considering on using dice rolls for behind the scenes. Such as roll some dice to see if certain things happen to certain cities. Or the actions of players cause a potential effect. Mainly to give life to the game, and as you pointed out, immerse people deeper into the RP. At least I would like to do that. When I went by my old account on here, the RPs I ran were pretty dry from what I remember and I did abandonment, but I haven't RP'd in so long or ran one that I just want to do this and go for as long as I can, within reason. Not to mention this move to CA has changed me a bit, for the better.

OTHERWISE @sunnyside

I'm aware of Shadowrunner, and my friend plays it A LOT. Since I'm itchin' for a bit of cyberpunk, I would be cool with Shadowrunner or Inferno.

Otherwise I dig Seven Towers, also since the High School RP would mesh well here with AF, that'd be cool to do.

Honestly though, if you do any of those RPs, I'm sure I'd join up and will be able to find inspiration for a character.

Either tonight or tomorrow I'll work on my RP ideas a bit more and post what I have to see if anyone thinks they're cool or have suggestions. It will more than likely be tomorrow since I DO have a 10 hour school day today hurrrf.

Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I read the spoiler, and that's pretty nifty. I won't aim to cater to peoples character, but I'm pretty sure the two ideas I've mentioned could easily home dragons like that. So I'll still bounce around with my idea, and hopefully you find it cool to join up with. If so, awesome!

I think that is what Tetsano here meant. If so, I enjoy it too. I really love the cause and effect. As your example stated, I would try to do things like that in any RP I run from now on. Sure the players are in a way the "main characters" but life goes on outside them. Things happen; people die, towns ruin, political wheels turn.

Even though I won't make my RP dice based or tabletop-esque for the players, I'm still considering on using dice rolls for behind the scenes. Such as roll some dice to see if certain things happen to certain cities. Or the actions of players cause a potential effect. Mainly to give life to the game, and as you pointed out, immerse people deeper into the RP. At least I would like to do that. When I went by my old account on here, the RPs I ran were pretty dry from what I remember and I did abandonment, but I haven't RP'd in so long or ran one that I just want to do this and go for as long as I can, within reason. Not to mention this move to CA has changed me a bit, for the better.
    I wouldn't want you to cater specifically to him. He's from a very specific RP in and of itself so it would be both very limiting and also rather tiring; I'd be more than happy to alter him to suit any potential ideas you have (and I think the ideas you already mentioned would work). Even going as far as to remove his wings would be possible (in all honesty, he has a legitimate magic spell that does that) if it would help the situation. I think so long as it's a setting that interests me and allows for different races, then I can work with it.

Anyways, that said I'm glad to see that I apparently understood what Tetsanosuke said. It makes me has a warm and fuzzies =D but yeah, by all means go for the behind-the-scenes evolution of the world. It's something I do in my current RP (for example, my character's hometown is mentioned, and it was a well-looked-after and prosperous neutral-zone in the midst of a civil war, but I plan to revisit it in the near-future to demonstrate that due to events that happened previously the town's now almost completely derelict.)

I guess I just find it fun to see the RP world behave as if it were real. Even the NPCs I show have distinct personalities, even to the point they have their own accents, points of view and reactions to situations.

... Maybe I played too much Skyrim. <_>

Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

By the way in line with the underlying process of making a game work. What do you guys think of "short" (~ six months/2000 posts) vs "long" (year+ 4000+ post) games? Also I'm curious about how people access the forum. Actually that might be a decent poll to throw into misc. I think people may be increasingly visiting using their phones, which means they may be aware of posts quickly, be able to read often and a lot, but would have a relativley hard time typing anything up. IF we have a lot of phone usage, that might indicate trying to accomodate shorter posts or something.

I think due to my lack of interest in Star Trek, Avatar and having no idea what Shadowrun is, I would probably struggle with those. And, not to be a killjoy, but I don't see myself creating a 'new' character for this, but just changing the backstory/abilities of the one main I have.

Still, those ideas are interesting to read. I'm gonna sit and wait to see what everyone else interested thinks of them or if Lemon or Tetsanosuke have any other ideas they thought up during the day.
    Well, your character fits one of the cultures in Seven Towers well enough I'd come hunting for you if I run that game.

And one of the concepts of Magic Mixer is that it's hard to create a character that DOESN'T fit.

In the cyberpunk games a character like that could exist as a transhuman. I.e. he'd have started out human, but have had his body transformed at no small expense into a cyborg that looks like a winged dragon. I'm not sure if that would hold a special interest to you or be unappealing.

Just as an FYI, there is actually a strong Furry subculture within the Trek Fandom. For one thing its one of very few series that actually features furries on TV or in theatres, particularily back in the 70s (I've heard that if you consider the looney toons and such as talking animals Star Trek put the first furry on TV). But it also creates an environment where its easy to add such characters. They're just another alien species. Unless actively driven out one would expect to see people wanting to play Caitain or Chakats in a Trek RPG and they have lots of fanfiction.

Gil
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

That said, I knew you'd recognise my name from the chatroom. Yes, once upon a time I wasn't a mod. How times change.

That is definitely a part of it, so you and Princess aren't too far off. What I'm describing includes that but also how the seemingly separate plots within a story somehow connect in a way that can only be described as 'cohesive', and by this very notion; amazing. Such plots return in many ways, weaving into the present with strings from the past, tying it all together to create the seeming of a 'grand scheme'. Even if one isn't there.

By the way in line with the underlying process of making a game work. What do you guys think of "short" (~ six months/2000 posts) vs "long" (year+ 4000+ post) games? Also I'm curious about how people access the forum. Actually that might be a decent poll to throw into misc. I think people may be increasingly visiting using their phones, which means they may be aware of posts quickly, be able to read often and a lot, but would have a relativley hard time typing anything up. IF we have a lot of phone usage, that might indicate trying to accomodate shorter posts or something.
    I never really thought about forum RPs so specifically as a post count or passage of time. The first Rp I've played through to an ending came to about 680 or so posts. The one after I think hit between 800-1000, and the third that finished hit around that rand too.

I look at AF through my Ipod usually, but prefer finding time on my computer to type things out. Call me awkward, but I'm a fan of detail when it comes to roleplaying. Posts with just two or three lines tend to peeve me, as I find such a format more appropriate for chat-room roleplaying.

I do admit considering these things is worth a try, however.

I know you LOVE EM, and I dig em too. They're really fun in an RP universe. Otherwise you should definitely give Endless Ocean a reboot. You may not be able to get super specific like you did on the other forum, but you can let other peoples imagination take off since you don't have to design weapons fit for a tabletop game.
    I could. Consider it in the tumble-dryer, and perhaps it'll find its way into the drawer one day.

However, maybe you should take a break from DMing/STing on Saturday? Assuming anyone has other things they can do. You may have to bite through it, but even let John DM if he has time? This gives you a break and can character up.
    Simply breaking from it is difficult in our situation. We can discuss those thoughts elsewhere. Besides, we played Cards Against Humanity last Saturday, even though I could have ran the Dishonored setting. We're going to need thinking caps for this one.

Endless Ocean was one of my finer roleplay works, at least in my eyes. Perhaps too wide of scope, but i couldn't help it at the time. I haven have a map of that world from all those years ago.

I think it might be prudent to list some of the general points for my possible game ideas.

These two are based off of already written material, and I do not own these ideas. The purpose of using these materials is mainly inspirational and a guide to creating an interesting role-play basis. /disclaimer.

The Lost
    • There is a realm beyond mortal scrutiny, Arcadia or otherwise known as Faerie.
    • Here preside beings of almost constant flux, beings whose form is composed of their whim, and their whims are nearly inscrutable. They are the True Fae
    • The True Fae are fascinated by mortals, and feed off of their emotions. Glamour powers their ancient Contracts, bound with forces of nature through the influence of the Wyrd; a force of beautiful madness.
    • Sometimes the Fae take mortals with them into their realm, play with them, love them, hate them, or perhaps keep them as a trophy. Mortals do not belong here, and over time this Durance changes them. Perhaps for the better, but usually for the worst.
    • Mortals who survive this Durance and manage to escape their Godly captors navigate their way through The Hedge: The bridge-realm between the mundane world and the beautiful chaos of Faerie.
    • Upon returning they realize that they have been changed, they could become scaly like a dragon or furry like a beast (or be changed in other ways). No one else notices this about them. The Wyrd becomes their facade. Only others like them see them for who they really are.
    • You have been changed by your time in Faerie, and return to a world that is still distant to you from the nightmares of that maddening place. You control forces you could not before, speaking with flame or vanishing like smoke in one's breath.
    A Second Chance
    • Life was once taken for granted. You lived your life as a normal person, moving between experiences like clockwork. Mundane and monotonous. Until one faithful night, or perhaps during midday, when it all ended... for but a moment.
    • As you felt yourself sink into despair, you heard a spectral voice beckon what remained of your attention. It could of been a pale maiden dressed in razors, bleeding from her barely stitched wounds. It could've been a rusted knight, with skeletal hands and red eyes. Or perhaps you saw the visage of three distinct creatures as one, a lion with a barbed mane, a bleating goat plated in lead, and a serpent's head lined with oily black scales.
    • Regardless of what it was, it offered you something unthinkable. Another chance to live. In return, it would become a part of you, in your conscience and in your soul.
    • You accepted this deal, awaking on the emergency room table or covered in debris in the inner city slums; your mortal wounds knitting slowly, unnaturally.
    • After recovery a dark secret is revealed to you. Ghosts exist, and you can see them. Just as well, they can see that you see them, and might not give you much peace after that.
    • The "Geist" inside you gives you ghostly powers and insight, words and feelings found in dark whispers and dim, heavy emotions. You have the power to help the restless dead, or to live your life to the fullest like never before
    • What would you do if you had a second chance?
    Last edited by Tetsanosuke; 11-12-2013 at 10:33 PM.

Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

That is definitely a part of it, so you and Princess aren't too far off. What I'm describing includes that but also how the seemingly separate plots within a story somehow connect in a way that can only be described as 'cohesive', and by this very notion; amazing. Such plots return in many ways, weaving into the present with strings from the past, tying it all together to create the seeming of a 'grand scheme'. Even if one isn't there.
    Ah. To be honest, with what you said previously I simply assumed that as a given, since it makes perfect sense how if a world's consequences, actions and evolution are entwined, then the evolution of events that occur to the main characters are entwined in some way as well.

(( It's actually something that's in that big RP I'm doing that yet again I find myself mentioning for reference. There are lots of little plots that are going on that tie into things that happened previously, or are directly or indirectly causing other things further on in the progress of the story - good example being my character killing his boss for betrayal, which has basically set a whole chain-reaction off where the criminal underworld now want him dead. I even have ideas for a much longer, underlying plot-line as a result of these smaller events. ))

@sunnyside To be honest, I'm just not a Trekkie, and whilst I respect the concept it's still just not something that's ever had enough of my interest for me to watch or take part in. That's why I said I don't know much about it, and the same for Avatar and Shadowrun. Call me weird.

As for phones, I don't use mine to browse the forum. I use my computer at home, and it's reasonably the only thing that I can use to post in an RP given that the only other place would be at college right now, and I really don't have the time to be sat at college typing an RP post. 'Sides, I couldn't type an RP post on a phone either. Predictive typing would murder me, it's bad enough trying to tell my parents when to go grocery shopping with me.

Still, the length of the RP doesn't really bother me, but the problem I have is that not only am I on a completely backwards time-zone to everyone here (England, heyoo!) I also can probably only reasonably post a response once, maybe twice a day. Maybe on some days and if I get into the situation then I could post more but since on most days of the week I'm relatively busy in one way or another then I can't guarantee being more consistent than that.

And off on a slight tangent: Out of Tetsanosuke's two ideas there, both seem interesting, but I think I'd struggle with the second in terms of integrating. Still, ideas are ideas and ideas are fun.

I personally quite like the ideas of hinting, referencing or demonstrating a realm of existence or power that's beyond mortal comprehension, that there's basically something 'beyond' us. It not only demonstrates how fickle mortal beings are and how easily we could be killed by forces we have no ability to stop, it also gives way for the rise of lore and even religion and beliefs.

Again, not to be plugging but that's what the RP me and my friend does. We both eventually ended up referring to the cases of fate and destiny as if they were governed by supernatural forces that can act on their own whims, and there's a spiritual existence of the nature of the world itself which attempts to keep the world in some sort of balance and is described as being fickle, yet understanding and sometimes even merciful to those that show respect and caution for its powers. Some of the lore in that world is of the theoretical ability to summon or even tame that force, amongst other things such as spirits that take the form of elemental beings or guardian monsters in sacred temples.

I mainly just wanted to say that in the hopes that it might give you any ideas. I'm no good at managing RPs myself but when it comes to creating depth to a world I can get carried away once we can agree on things.

23. Likes Tetsanosuke liked this post
    Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Still, the length of the RP doesn't really bother me, but the problem I have is that not only am I on a completely backwards time-zone to everyone here (England, heyoo!) I also can probably only reasonably post a response once, maybe twice a day. Maybe on some days and if I get into the situation then I could post more but since on most days of the week I'm relatively busy in one way or another then I can't guarantee being more consistent than that.
    For one thing we aren't all Americans here :P But beyond that a post or two a day is, I suspect, fine by anyone's standards here. Though I suppose it might mean that making more posts that are shorter from a phone might not work out so well.

I never really thought about forum RPs so specifically as a post count or passage of time. The first Rp I've played through to an ending came to about 680 or so posts. The one after I think hit between 800-1000, and the third that finished hit around that rand too.
    I hadn't thought about them that way in that past. However in planning a game I'm thinking about it rather more. The issue being that I may need to make games shorter to minimize the impacts of players vanishing from the game or from AF entirely as is often the case, which seems unavoidable. That alternative being writing in such that way that the game works with perpetual recruitment, which requires the plot to accomodate onboarding people without requiring them to read the backlog.

Were the games that came to an ending here? Do you remeber what they were called?

I look at AF through my Ipod usually, but prefer finding time on my computer to type things out. Call me awkward, but I'm a fan of detail when it comes to roleplaying. Posts with just two or three lines tend to peeve me, as I find such a format more appropriate for chat-room roleplaying.
    I think the phone thing would require some thinking and coaching in regards to post content. The typical issue with short posts is, as you mention, it doesn't give the other person enough to work with an things stall.

However when making a longer post what you often have to do are add in thoughts, details about the environment, a small action your character or an NPC performs, or some more words. It would seem possible to just apply that thought process in dealing with short posts. I.e. instead of adding in those extra things to your post, post them in response to the other players short post. In principle you could have the same content, just spread out over multiple shorter posts. In general that probably isn't as good, but again I'm concerned that there is a shift of phone usage and while people seem entirely willing to write vast quantities in text messages in many short bursts, I think most people would be unwilling to make a "proper" RP post with one.

25. Likes Tetsanosuke liked this post
    Gil
    Starving
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Like Tetsanosuke, I never thought of games in a post count or time frame way. Personally I'd love to try a long RP, however a short RP would probably be best for now. As you pointed out, to hopefully minimize people dropping out. I also think a "short" RP may be a good means of getting in new players? Who, if they enjoyed the RP, will want more. Perhaps that's a bit of a hopeful thought though.

I also use my laptop to post RPs or look about threads. On occasion in between classes I'll gander about on my phone, but that's only to see RP posts and possibly think of a response until I reach my laptop.

@Tetsanosuke

Aw snap, got the premise for Changeling and Geist. Changeling is fun, since things can get bizarre and dark while drunk at the same time, but I never fully participated in a Geist game. So, if you're aiming to do one of those two in place of Endless Ocean, I'm a bit inclined to go with Geist; I can always bring Virgil back if we go with Changeling, baw haw haw haw. Otherwise for Geist, I never made a Geist character so awww yeah.

I'll post my two ideas expanded later, I haven't had much time to work on them today so I will after class.
    Last edited by Princess Lemon; 11-13-2013 at 01:47 PM.

27. Likes Tetsanosuke liked this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

And off on a slight tangent: Out of Tetsanosuke's two ideas there, both seem interesting, but I think I'd struggle with the second in terms of integrating. Still, ideas are ideas and ideas are fun.

I personally quite like the ideas of hinting, referencing or demonstrating a realm of existence or power that's beyond mortal comprehension, that there's basically something 'beyond' us. It not only demonstrates how fickle mortal beings are and how easily we could be killed by forces we have no ability to stop, it also gives way for the rise of lore and even religion and beliefs.
    Both of these ideas are usually played in a modern setting that can be described as a fractured mirror of our own, but they can be played in different settings to different affect. Faerie would exist regardless in the first, and the Underworld would be similar in the second.

I do appreciate your input on those ideas.

For one thing we aren't all Americans here :P But beyond that a post or two a day is, I suspect, fine by anyone's standards here. Though I suppose it might mean that making more posts that are shorter from a phone might not work out so well.

Were the games that came to an ending here? Do you remeber what they were called?
    Before these past few days getting on my computer once a day has been a bit of a chore, but I've been trying my best to keep diligent and keep up with the discussion of these ideas. I'm actually surprised we are the only few throwing down parts here.

Ahh, I found the archives for some of my old RPs. Not sure I'ma read'em over soon, but it's tempting and scary to think about.
    • Raftidia 1; Actually finished after a drought, a fair core set of characters pushed into the end, leading to a sequel.
    • Raftidia 2: This one was a promising sequel with a nice transition, but it died a ways in.
    • Kingdom Hearts: Waltz of Destiny : This one was also pushed through to an ending, inspiring a nicely thought out sequal that also died.
    • Kingdom Hearts: Pendulum of Balance : Another nicely transitioned and thought-out sequal, Jonwolf and I made it back when he'd get on here.
    • Nightmaria: Inspired by my joy for the Halloween season, and inspired by things like Nightmare Before Christmas among other things. Was disappointed when it didn't kick off too far.
    • Endless Ocean's sign-up is gone, but the RPG thread is still there. My very first RP which I GM'd here is also gone from the archives. Ce'la'vi~

@Tetsanosuke

Aw snap, got the premise for Changeling and Geist. Changeling is fun, since things can get bizarre and dark while drunk at the same time, but I never fully participated in a Geist game. So, if you're aiming to do one of those two in place of Endless Ocean, I'm a bit inclined to go with Geist; I can always bring Virgil back if we go with Changeling, baw haw haw haw. Otherwise for Geist, I never made a Geist character so awww yeah.
    Both are a possibility, however I feel that I'd need to see the interest before going too far with the ideas. I know you're up for that good sir, and I'd lean towards Geist as I've finished reading the book proper recently to have enough idea of the setting and possible story plots. Been a while since I've read Changeling.

Also still debating reworking Endless Ocean, and I also have two other RPs I never felt confident enough to post on here. One is Yugioh related (with a darker mood/theme), the other is a bit Lovecraftian in nature, and requires Player-GM interaction for the more in-depth version; but I believe I have a simplified version too.

Gil
    Starving
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Also still debating reworking Endless Ocean, and I also have two other RPs I never felt confident enough to post on here. One is Yugioh related (with a darker mood/theme), the other is a bit Lovecraftian in nature, and requires Player-GM interaction for the more in-depth version; but I believe I have a simplified version too.
    Is the Lovecraftian one that one RP you mentioned before that everyone is a Lord or Lady and can use magic and were invited to some eccentric Lords manor for a party?

Because that really seemed interesting

HOWEVER I worked a bit on my RPs, even found inspiration for a third. I made a bullet list of content of the RP (also tried to judge them in a manner of "long" and "short" as Sunnyside did for his). These aren't concrete and are strongly subject to change!

Tales of Legend: Rise of Heroes:
    • - Neo-Medieval (technology magic mix, swords and guns mix)
    • - Players can choose to take allegiance between 6 Nations in a large war, OR come from far away countries (giving players the option to create their own land and such)
    • - Setting will be on an entire continent with various countries inside
    • - Aimed to have a lot of smaller adventures along with an over-arching story
    • - Will maintain behind-the-scenes rolls to create life to the world
    • - Races besides humans exist, a player can be whatever race they want
    • - War between countries will be more prominent, and battles will happen effecting the world
    • - Players may part take in these battles
    • - Players can have effect on politics of the world

This RP can be what would Sunnyside could call "long" but can also be made "short".

Tales of Legend: Lost Legacy

• - Mediveal Fantasy; no guns, swords n sorcery with dragons and such Set in a single country
    • - Players can choose to be from individual city states in the country, or from other countries
    • - Races besides human exist, so players can be whatever they want
    • - More Adventure based
    • - War IS part of the events of the game, since the country has entered into a civil war with the loss of its Emperor
    • - Thus players can have an alignment in the war, or choose to be neutral
    • - Same of Rise of Heroes, behind-the-scenes rolls will help try to keep the world alive

The Inner Sin:
    • - Set in Modern day, mixing with supernatural creatures
    • - Players are taking on the roles of either: Demons, Half-Demons, “Awoken” Humans, Half-Angels, or Angels.
    • - Demons and Angels are attuned with a Virtue/Sin or Element or something which helps empower them
    • - While there is Black and White, there is also meant to be a lot of grey, since Angels aren’t exactly “good” natured themselves. Some are jealous and spiteful and arrogant.

This idea is a rough idea in the works. I’ve always had this in the back of my mind but never focused on it too much. I know I would have fun RPing this, and if people would be interested it might be fun to play.

@Sinon mentioning the demon RP reminded me of this, and maybe I’ll expand on it. However I don’t know what he was aiming for with a demon RP.

However, it's probably not the best explanation of the RPs? I don't know, I'm just giving out the rough outline I have thus far.
    Last edited by Princess Lemon; 11-13-2013 at 11:39 PM.

Senior Member Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Cake Lie Soul Eater Logo Little Big Planet Sackboy Kratos
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-23-2013 11:42 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

@Princess Lemon - I would immensely enjoy 'The Inner Sin'. A darker, terror filled RP would be incredibly entertaining.

Gil
    Starving
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Sinon View Post
    @Princess Lemon - I would immensely enjoy 'The Inner Sin'. A darker, terror filled RP would be incredibly entertaining.
    It certainly would be fun. Curious, do you have any suggestions for the RP? Like to add different cultures and such?

So far i'm just basing it off Christian/Catholic lore? Which seems pretty standard and I don't want to cause any religious debate or put one religion above another, ya know? I could just be paranoid here, though. I just don't wanna offend people I guess.

Maybe Demons and Angels could be a generic term to be used for creatures of myths from all sorts of mythology/religion and we can take the whole "Heave" and "Hell" and "God" thing out and give it a more generic term like Celestia and Abyss (Thank you D&D!) where such creatures reside?

If anyone can help with that RP and give suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

Senior Member Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

It certainly would be fun. Curious, do you have any suggestions for the RP? Like to add different cultures and such?

So far i'm just basing it off Christian/Catholic lore? Which seems pretty standard and I don't want to cause any religious debate or put one religion above another, ya know? I could just be paranoid here, though. I just don't wanna offend people I guess.

Maybe Demons and Angels could be a generic term to be used for creatures of myths from all sorts of mythology/religion and we can take the whole "Heave" and "Hell" and "God" thing out and give it a more generic term like Celestia and Abyss (Thank you D&D!) where such creatures reside?

If anyone can help with that RP and give suggestions, I'd appreciate it!
    Well Heaven and Hell can be used for nearly any existing religion, really. Celestia and Abyss sounds...not really all powerful, more just like slightly better than humans.
    I like the idea of A 3 faction war between Demons, Nephelim (name for hybrids) and Angels. But to narrow things down, it's like a hunt for mystical artifacts to change the tide of the war. Or something nifty like that.

Gil
    Starving
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Tenrou Nogitsune View Post
    Well Heaven and Hell can be used for nearly any existing religion, really. Celestia and Abyss sounds...not really all powerful, more just like slightly better than humans.
    I like the idea of A 3 faction war between Demons, Nephelim (name for hybrids) and Angels. But to narrow things down, it's like a hunt for mystical artifacts to change the tide of the war. Or something nifty like that.
    Yeah, that's a good point. I guess I just worry so much I'll offend someone. While I still feel "The Abyss" still has that powerful, endless horror ring to it, Hell still has the whole YEARS AND YEARS of lore and ideals behind it.

Ah yeah, having the Nephelim's be their own faction is a good idea. I honestly didn't know where I was going to go with them, so that gives them a strong place. This works. Good.

My original thought was just the three factions walking the streets of our world, tempting humans etc. Using them as a proxy war, while in turn occasionally tearing one another up. With enough research though, I'm sure I can put in adventure for legendary artifacts that they either want to obtain or destroy.

Angels and Demons can look however they desire, but have a human form for the sake of camouflage. Nephelim's are the same, and awoken humans can be those "touched" by entities, or saw them. Possibly use a bit of magic, albeit at a strong cost.

Hrmm, a WIP no doubt, but maybe this can be refined into something pretty intense.

Gil
    Tired
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Yeah, that's a good point. I guess I just worry so much I'll offend someone. While I still feel "The Abyss" still has that powerful, endless horror ring to it, Hell still has the whole YEARS AND YEARS of lore and ideals behind it.

Ah yeah, having the Nephelim's be their own faction is a good idea. I honestly didn't know where I was going to go with them, so that gives them a strong place. This works. Good.

My original thought was just the three factions walking the streets of our world, tempting humans etc. Using them as a proxy war, while in turn occasionally tearing one another up. With enough research though, I'm sure I can put in adventure for legendary artifacts that they either want to obtain or destroy.

Angels and Demons can look however they desire, but have a human form for the sake of camouflage. Nephelim's are the same, and awoken humans can be those "touched" by entities, or saw them. Possibly use a bit of magic, albeit at a strong cost.

Hrmm, a WIP no doubt, but maybe this can be refined into something pretty intense.
    *strokes beard* Good...good... Things are going as planned...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information