AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Studio Ghibli

&#32
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama's Avatar
    Gil
    Where
    Gifts V Guitar Coffee Red Kawaii Ice Cream Cone
    Mentioned
    1093 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-11-2018 11:21 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: FunkyFresh123 Steam ID: RyuTama

Thumbs up Studio Ghibli

So I've been on a bit of a Ghibli spree lately. I never realized there wasn't a thread for the movies here (or at least in a loooong time), so I decided I'd whip this up real quick.

Studio Ghibli is a film studio founded by directors Hayao Miyazaki, Isao Takahata, and producer Toshio Suzuki in 1985. It has created 18 animated feature films (not including Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, which was released before the studio's official founding). Many of these films became some of the most highest-grossing anime films in Japan, and a few even reached top charts in the U.S. Eventually, the studio merged with Disney for many English releases of the films. Some, such as Howl's Moving Castle and The Secret World of Arrietty are based on English novels.

Some of Studio Ghibli's most notable works include:

Spirited Away
    Howl's Moving Castle
    My Neighbor Totoro
    Princess Mononoke
    Kiki's Delivery Service
    Ponyo

The artwork for the studio's movies has been almost exclusively done by Mr. Hayao Miyazaki, who has unfortunately announced his retirement this year. I wanted to make this thread in appreciation for his and the studio's work to make some of the most memorable and inspirational films many of us have ever seen.

Discuss some of your favorite movies, scenes, music, characters, and maybe the novels some of them are based on. All things Ghibli, go and post it!

☢ CAUTION!! ☢ CAUTION!! ☢ DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Ice Cream Scorpio Jack O Lantern
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-23-2016 06:02 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: sugarcoatedshit

Default Re: Studio Ghibli

Hayao Miyazaki has announced his retirement/retired many times already and then he returns with another piece of work in the making. I wouldn't be surprised if he does that again. xDD

DON'T CLICK BELOW

^Link^

Moderator Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts Moon Crescent Wand Wine Kangaroo
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 04:32 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I think Nausicaa is my favourite. I love the beautiful message it carries. And Pom Poko!!

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Even though this guy is known for making masterpieces.. am I the only one who felt Ponyo was weaker than some of his other work?
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

&#32
    RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama's Avatar
    Gil
    Where
    Mentioned
    1093 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

@DenjaX I know, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is it, what with his age and whatnot. I personally think he's done so much, he deserves some well-earned time to himself. :3 Although speaking of it... here's an article on Studio Ghibli's facebook page, where Isao Takahata thinks there's a reasonable chance that Miyazaki will come out of retirement (again lol).

~~ BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ~~

Isao Takahata Thinks There Is a Chance of Hayao Miyazaki's Return

Fellow Ghibli founder/director: "Don't be at all surprised if that happens"

Director Isao Takahata gave the press his thoughts on the retirement of fellow director, Studio Ghibli co-founder, and friend Hayao Miyazaki: "[Miyazaki] said, 'This time, I am serious,' but I think there is a decent chance that may change. I think so, since I've known him a long time. Don't be at all surprised if that happens."

Takahata spoke at a Tokyo press conference on Thursday to mark the completion of The Tale of Princess Kaguya (Kaguya-hime no Monogatari), his first new feature film in 14 years. When asked about his next work after this, he said, "I haven't given it a single thought."

Takahata was also asked, "Will this be the first Ghibli title without Hayao Miyazaki around?" He replied, "Miyazaki is still here, so I haven't even thought of that." Takahata elaborated, "I guess [Miyazaki] has watched The Tale of Princess Kaguya, but I haven't heard any comments from him." As for the future of Studio Ghibli, he said, "Because producer Toshio Suzuki and Hayao Miyazaki have been making decisions on what to do with Ghibli, I have no responsibility."

The Tale of Princess Kaguya will open in Japan on November 23, after eight years in the making and a 5-billion-yen (about US$51 million) budget. Miyazaki's last feature film, The Wind Rises, is playing now in Japan and will open in North America on February 21. Yume to Kyōki no Ōkoku (The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness), Mami Sunada's documentary about Studio Ghibli, will open on November 16.

Source: animenewsnetwork

I like Takahata's works, like My Neighbor the Yamadas, so I'm excited for this new movie he's doing. ^^ It'll be kinda sad watching a new Ghibli movie that doesn't have Miyazaki's artistic influence anymore, but I'll always love the studio's films.

There's also a documentary being created about the company and the creation of some of the newer films, so that'll be fun to watch too.

@Jasanime Nausicaa is one of my favorites too. I actually just watched it for the first time a couple weeks ago, and it blew me away. I really need to get it on DVD one of these days. Pom Poko was amazing too. It made me wanna cry at some points though. D:

@Yoko Littner I haven't seen all of Ponyo, but what I did see, I thought it was cute. It didn't have as in-depth of a message like Nausicaa or Spirited Away but it was still very creative. I personally think one of his weakest films was Arrietty, to be honest. It was still good, of course, but not nearly as imaginative as some of the others. I still want to read the book it's based off of though.

Question, has anyone seen Grave of the Fireflies? I know it's a relatively unknown Ghibli movie, and definitely a lot more emotional than the rest, but I was wondering if any of you knew about it.

Senior Member TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-18-2014 10:13 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BishounenTao PSN ID: BishieShu XFIRE ID: snx21 Steam ID: BishieShu

Quote Originally Posted by Yoko Littner View Post
    Even though this guy is known for making masterpieces.. am I the only one who felt Ponyo was weaker than some of his other work?
    In my opinion, very weak. I didn't like it. It's the only film from them that I didn't like.
    ざわ。。。ざわ
    MyAnimeList
    HummingBird
    Anilist

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RyuTama View Post
    @Yoko Littner I haven't seen all of Ponyo, but what I did see, I thought it was cute. It didn't have as in-depth of a message like Nausicaa or Spirited Away but it was still very creative. I personally think one of his weakest films was Arrietty, to be honest. It was still good, of course, but not nearly as imaginative as some of the others. I still want to read the book it's based off of though.
    I do agree Ponyo was cute and it was still well made, but for some reason it never could draw me in as much as the others. Book? What is the title of the book?

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TomoyoSakagami View Post
    In my opinion, very weak. I didn't like it. It's the only film from them that I didn't like.
    Seeing that we are on this topic, may I ask what your favorite of his films are?
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

Senior Member TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-18-2014 10:13 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BishounenTao PSN ID: BishieShu XFIRE ID: snx21 Steam ID: BishieShu

Seeing that we are on this topic, may I ask what your favorite of his films are?
    My favourite film and always will be is Grave of the Fireflies
    ざわ。。。ざわ
    MyAnimeList
    HummingBird
    Anilist

AF Lurker Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Snowman Hedgehog Pocky
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-17-2018 06:17 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Zainox-

There are so many Ghibli films that I love and cherish. But I think my overall favourite would be Princess Mononoke.

As for Ponyo. I feel it was more aimed more for kids than their previous works and may be why it felt different. I personally enjoyed it and own it on Blueray. The two new ones I didn't really like were Poppy On The Hill and Arrietty. Where these were still decent too watch, I don't get the same feel and excitement I used to watching Ghibli films.

MY ANIME-PLANET WATCH LIST

AF FAMILY
    Astral_Mage - Younger Brother/Confetti Brother
    horrendous - Older Brother
    1nterest1ng - Confetti Brother

&#32
    Gil
    Where
    Mentioned
    1093 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

I do agree Ponyo was cute and it was still well made, but for some reason it never could draw me in as much as the others. Book? What is the title of the book?
    I guess I should try and watch it all then. :o And the book for Arrietty is called The Borrowers by Mary Norton.

Quote Originally Posted by TomoyoSakagami View Post
    My favourite film and always will be is Grave of the Fireflies
    Oh my god, that movie. I don't think I've ever watched something so heart wrenching. I loved it, but it's just so painful to watch... Although it was the movie that made me open up to watching all the Ghibli films, not just the fun and popular ones like Totoro and Howl. Very influential. A must-watch for any Ghibli fan.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information