AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Broken characters, and Yoite.

Junior Member MereHuman is on a distinguished road MereHuman's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-28-2013 05:23 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Broken characters, and Yoite.

Hey guys.

I am always fond of broken characters, and when I mean broken, I mean really broken. There is always a certain thing that attracts me to them, maybe its the sadness. How that character must have fought so hard, how their past made them the person they are today, and why they do the things they do, when I look at them, I just want to break down in tears.

One character that is constantly one of my favorites are Yoite, from Nabari no Ou.

For those of you who have not heard of neither the anime nor the character, I feel the desperate need to let you people know such a character exists. Please bear with the lengthy post. Or just read the red bolded text.

Yoite is a Kira (forbidden technique) user, which allows him to control the flow of Ki (energy) in human bodies. This power also leaves Yoite physically weak and sickly, and his five senses slowly yet obviously deteriorating as the main point of the power is shooting Yoite's own Ki into the body of his enemies and killing them from the inside out. Using this he fights for the Kairoshu clan and tries to achieve the Shinrabanshou (secret technique of some sort, which is in the form of a human), which is the main character Miharu. With this power that he did not know of, Miharu could do almost anything, so basically he's like a God, but he cannot fully grasp and control this power yet. When they met briefly in a fight, there was an immediate attraction between the two.

With Yoite's deteriorating body, knowing he was eventually going to die, his final wish was to disappear, and thus made a pact with Miharu: when he has full control of the Shinrabanshou, Miharu will grant his wish and make him disappear, and Yoite will help him gather the other forbidden techniques that will unleash the power of the Shinrabanshou. At the very beginning, Yoite threatened to kill Miharu's friends if he did not agree to help him disappear, but Miharu was happy to oblige anyway.

Speaking of Yoite, his back story is a tragedy in every way. He was rejected by his family as a child, because: 1) He was born hermaphrodite (which makes him neither male nor female). 2) His mother died giving birth to him, and so he was considered an unlucky child and at some point, the angel of Death. He lived a life of being unsure of who he really is, a self-identity crisis.

His family mistreated, shunned, starved and locked him in the dark house basement alone for all his childhood, letting him out only on special occasions, and even forbidden his brother to see him. As a child, he had no proper name. His parents decided on the name Sora if he was a girl, and because he was neither male or female, he was never given a proper name, but his brother addressed him as Sora anyways. Yoite never considered Sora to be his name because it was the name intended for the girl he was not.

On his 14th birthday, Yoite was allowed to come out of the basement, but only because his family decided to kill him. They slashed and cut at him, and even attempted to make his brother do the same, which he didn't. Yoite managed to escape from the house, and ended up being saved by the Kairoshu leader, who taught him the Kira technique at Yoite's own free will. Later on, Yoite was handed off to Yukimi who took care of him, and gave him the name 'Yoite', after a cat he once had, carrying the meaning of 'night wind' in Japanese.

Yoite's desire to disappear stems from his sad past and fear of death. As I interpret it though, I think he also wishes to not have caused his mother to die, and also relief the people who knew him of the pain and sadness related to himself. In short, 'Gone with the Wind', leave no trace of ever existing, including all the pain you have inflicted and the love you have shed. This is exactly why I love him to freaking death, because I think this is how the character might have been built.

Anyways, as the story develops, their relationship gets closer and closer. Yoite, being a mysterious and wordless boy, broken and all, opens up to Miharu and allows him to be close, while protecting him from the other ninjas and clans. Miharu, a silent boy that never felt a need to have relationships in fear of hurting them, also has a soft spot for Yoite, claiming that he sees himself in Yoite. The two get pretty close, as they trust and depend on each other more.

A lot of ninja stuff here, they gathered all the hidden technique scrolls, killed the Kairoshu people and Miharu managed to achieve the Shinrabanshou. Everything went back to normal, and it was almost happily ever after.

Nearing the end, Yoite, growing increasingly attached to Miharu and his friends, and also growing fond of everyday life with the people around him, he realizes that he is alive because of the love Miharu and Yukimi and everyone shed on him, and was, for the first time, happy that he was not alone. He expresses being satisfied being the 'Yoite' that Miharu and Yukimi knew. Finally, Yoite still wishes to disappear, to mercy Miharu the pain and agony of losing Yoite, so that Miharu would continue smiling.

The story ends with Yoite asking Miharu to make him Okonomiyaki, and while he was away, Yoite fades into dust as his body finally retires. In his last moments, Yoite has happy and satisfied, and died smiling. *this is where the tears and tissue box comes in

Strangely, after his death, no one seemed to remember about Yoite ever existing, although to Miharu and Yukimi, they felt as if something in their lives were seemingly missing yet they could not identify what.

It is a truly magnificent anime (and character), in every definition of the word. I want a character like this, sad, melancholic, tragic, yet beautiful, all at once in perfect harmony.

Back to main topic. Is there any characters that you guys know of that is somewhat similar to Yoite? Or any anime that is interesting, entertaining and tear-jerking with a character like Yoite? Just sad and broken, best possibly contains nice amounts of suffering and incurable illnesses of any sort, and complex background. I don't mind if its a side character, and I don't mind the genre.

Other characters that I personally love (sad or not) just so you guys can maybe get an inkling of my tastes:
    Lelouch Lamperouge, Houtarou Oreki, Hikigaya Hachiman, Ryoma Echizen, Kuroko Tetsuya, Yoshiwara Shiro (from manga Adekan), Miyamura Izumi (from manga Horimiya), Natsume Hyuuga, Allen Walker, Kanda Yuu, Ciel Phantomhive, Alois Trancy, Kiryuu Zero, Natsume Zange(Inuboku SS), Haruka Nanase, Haru Yoshida, Kirito Aki, Shiro (Deadman Wonderland), Haine Rammsteiner(Dogs, Bullets and Carnage), Tamaki Suoh.

I think you catch my drift. Thanks for reading this great text wall of China, and thanks for replying beforehand.
    Last edited by MereHuman; 10-28-2013 at 05:33 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information