AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice wanted on a couple Japanese lines

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Achamo has a reputation beyond repute Achamo has a reputation beyond repute Achamo has a reputation beyond repute Achamo has a reputation beyond repute Achamo has a reputation beyond repute Achamo has a reputation beyond repute Achamo has a reputation beyond repute Achamo has a reputation beyond repute Achamo has a reputation beyond repute Achamo has a reputation beyond repute Achamo has a reputation beyond repute Achamo's Avatar
    Gil
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-13-2016 07:59 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Question Advice wanted on a couple Japanese lines

So, I've been trying to translate Blindfold Code, since I myself would like to know what it means, but the chorus has me stumped because of these two things:

生涯不安症な君と明日へ先に行けそうかもね。
    I get the "I might be able to move on to tomorrow," but it's the "lifetime of an anxiety disorder" as an adjective, and on a pronoun, that I can't get right. It's one of those things where I know what it means, but can't express it in English.

ユレ気味にビートを刻めば
    そうそう悪いもんじゃあないさ。

まぁ、飽きないうちは。
    Here she (I assume the narrator to be Kido from the Kagerou Project) only specifies the subject on the last line. Normally I would ignore that and set the translation up subject-verb-object like a good English sentence, but here it's sort of the point. How could that be expressed in English, the way she clarifies it'd only be bad if it was her doing the engraving?

紺碧の闇
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Little Big Planet Sackboy Neko Tv Prinny
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-05-2019 07:48 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: azutsukimiya

Default Re: Advice wanted on a couple Japanese lines

1. The real trouble with this is the "You Who" problem, part of the grammatical discord of Japanese to English, when "you" (and nth-person pronouns in particular) has a descriptive auxiliary. It's pretty awkward to make a literal translation for this structure.
    案外今日が来なくても、ローファイな風景を連れて
    生涯不安症な君と 明日へ先に 行けそうかもね。
    Even if today doesn't come as it should, I'm gonna use this lo-fi scenery
    To bring you to the next day maybe, before you start getting anxious about it

This took me all my interpretation skills. Breaking down the noun into a description, then use a relation with the first line.

2. It's not exactly engraving here... hope you know this. Seriously.
    「さぁさぁ、なんかないものか。」と ユレ気味にビートを刻めば
    そうそう悪いもんじゃあないさ。 まぁ、飽きないうちは。
    "Hey-hey, should be something here?" and when you feel and sway to the beat
    Yeah it's not so bad after all. Till it starts to bore you that is.

If you can, try and give a sample t/l first for us to see how you're thinking of it first.

...so that you know where you can find me

Achamo has a reputation beyond repute Achamo has a reputation beyond repute Achamo has a reputation beyond repute Achamo has a reputation beyond repute Achamo has a reputation beyond repute Achamo has a reputation beyond repute Achamo has a reputation beyond repute Achamo has a reputation beyond repute Achamo has a reputation beyond repute Achamo has a reputation beyond repute Achamo has a reputation beyond repute Achamo's Avatar
    Gil
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

...Huh. That's a pretty different way of thinking about it. I interpreted 案外今日が来なくても、ローファイ風景を連れて with the "take with" definition of 連れる; like "even if today doesn't come like it should, take the low-fi scenery with you."
    And the 飽きないうちは, I was wondering where you got "till it starts to bore you?" Is there a third definition of うち I'm not aware of, other than "house" and "I/me"?
    You certainly helped with my problems (ユレ気味にビートを刻めば、that 刻む is where the "engrave" came from, I don't remember why that's the word I picked), at least, but now, new ones have come up...

紺碧の闇
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Little Big Planet Sackboy Neko Tv Prinny
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-05-2019 07:48 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: azutsukimiya

...Huh. That's a pretty different way of thinking about it. I interpreted 案外今日が来なくても、ローファイ風景を連れて with the "take with" definition of 連れる; like "even if today doesn't come like it should, take the low-fi scenery with you."
    What you are doing now is the rookie mistake of LBL (Line-By-Line), where you translate each line of a song separately instead of identifying which lines form a complete sentence. Always watch out for a line that ends with -te because it's a very tricky verb form; often it's a conjunctive rather than a request form i.e. it joins a sentence. Here it clearly joins the first line with the second, and since the second line's subject is the first person, it follows that the singer is the one bringing the scenery.

>Is there a third definition of うち I'm not aware of, other than "house" and "I/me"?

How on earth did you pass the test (since it contains this particular usage of 'uchi')... I'm starting to remember. Ah, I thought you derived your sentence from said meaning. But whenever I see anyone using "house" for 'uchi' I'll fail them on the spot.

For explanations on usage I love using goo dictionary, and here is the entry for . Lemme give you a rough translation...

1. Stress on second syllable i.e. uchi

1.1 Defines the inside of an area; see 中
        1.1.1 Differentiated from outside.
        1.1.2 In or around the middle.
        1.1.3 In the confines of a specific abstract noun or grouping.
        1.1.4 Not visible from the outside; the underside.
        1.1.5 Inside the heart.
        1.1.6 Inside a specific numbered value.
        1.1.7 Within a specific amount of time.

1.2 Defines an affiliation of oneself.
        1.2.1 The establishment that one lives in; whether of one's own or in general. Alternative reading of 家
        1.2.2 One's spouse.
        1.2.3 A grouping that one is a member of.
        1.2.4 (Suf.) when a woman affixates the name of her husband for signature in a letter.

1.3 A house. (Note: (col.) のうち contracts to んち e.g Atashinchi)

1.4 Indicates an action happening inside the duration of another (see: 1.1.7), written 裡

1.5 (Min. usage: Buddhists) of related to Buddhism.

1.6 (Lit.) of pertaining to continuous time; the present time.

1.7 Inner; interior.

1.8 (Arc.) (Min. usage: Nobility) Inside the Imperial Palace.

1.9.(Lit.) The Emperor.

2. Stress on first syllable i.e. uchi

2.1 (Min. usage: Kansai) (fem.) First-person

...phew.
    So in the context of the song, the meaning of 'uchi' is 1.1.7, "inside a period of time".
    Last edited by AzureDark; 09-11-2013 at 05:47 AM.

...so that you know where you can find me

Gil
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

OT: Ironically, I was just diagnosed with a social anxiety disorder.
    Ah, that makes sense. Seeing うち in hiragana rather than kanji, my first thought was that 飽きないうち meant something like "untiring me."
    As for LBL, I'll keep that in mind, though that's how I tend to think and it'll take practice. I can do that practice, though, if it means becoming a better translator. (^^)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information