AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Web Design Assistance

#TEAMONODERA (_YvOnSo_) has a reputation beyond repute (_YvOnSo_) has a reputation beyond repute (_YvOnSo_) has a reputation beyond repute (_YvOnSo_) has a reputation beyond repute (_YvOnSo_) has a reputation beyond repute (_YvOnSo_) has a reputation beyond repute (_YvOnSo_) has a reputation beyond repute (_YvOnSo_) has a reputation beyond repute (_YvOnSo_) has a reputation beyond repute (_YvOnSo_) has a reputation beyond repute (_YvOnSo_) has a reputation beyond repute (_YvOnSo_)'s Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Coffee
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-24-2014 04:28 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Web Design Assistance

I'm planning on being a Web Designer as my career/goal, and was wondering if we have anyone else around here who knows there way around this career. I haven't the slightest clue how to start self-studying for it.

I'm using the program Adobe Muse CC 5.0, downloaded it just yesterday and don't know what I'm doing lol so if anyone else uses this program and knows how to use it, let me know, or if anyone knows a better program, let me know as well.
    Last edited by (_YvOnSo_); 08-18-2013 at 09:50 PM.
    I'm (_YvOnSo_), aka Von. You can call me either.

If you play, message me your username.

(_YvOnSo_) Artwork
    Check out some of my work!

Senior Member Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth's Avatar
    Gil
    Innocent
    Gifts Coffee Cheshire Cat Hot Dog With Ketchup
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-18-2015 09:46 PM
    Threads

Default Re: Web Design Assistance

Ehh Don't you need to know xhtml and CSS for web designing?

#TEAMONODERA (_YvOnSo_) has a reputation beyond repute (_YvOnSo_) has a reputation beyond repute (_YvOnSo_) has a reputation beyond repute (_YvOnSo_) has a reputation beyond repute (_YvOnSo_) has a reputation beyond repute (_YvOnSo_) has a reputation beyond repute (_YvOnSo_) has a reputation beyond repute (_YvOnSo_) has a reputation beyond repute (_YvOnSo_) has a reputation beyond repute (_YvOnSo_) has a reputation beyond repute (_YvOnSo_) has a reputation beyond repute (_YvOnSo_)'s Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Coffee
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

To be quite frank, luck in my life never came my way, so I never took many good courses with computers in high school. Also don't have any money for college courses at the moment, so my knowledge of the sort of stuff is very low. That's why I always have to self-study for everything, and work my way up.

Well, that's a so-called brief story of mine, but to answer your question, no. lol
    Last edited by (_YvOnSo_); 08-18-2013 at 08:29 AM.

(_YvOnSo_) Artwork

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-27-2015 10:51 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

Downloading a program really doesn't do much for webdesign. I took 3 years worth of classes in Web Design and if you try going in on it alone, to you I say, good luck.

I know when I first started web design, I didn't even use a program. Just a notepad and a bunch of trial and error. When I took classes we used dreamweaver which I found to be very limited and even in the class it was still hard to take everything in. Designing and coding a full functioning site is no easy task. Really, if you honestly want to pursue this you're going to have to do a LOT of research on coding. As well as be a good designer and familiar with Photoshop or some image editing tool of that nature..

[Click on the image above to visit an Etsy art shop run by me ]

今日...明日...永遠に...

Personal Tumblr | Deviant Art | Artsy Tumblr
    >>>View AF's First Banner Contest RESULTS<<<
    Thanks to those who participated & voted

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    645 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-19-2015 12:37 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

Ugh, I typed out a huge thing and then the internet crashed. Heres the short and dirty version-

Go to school, go to school, go to school. There a *tons* of freelance web designers out there, you want to be hired by a company and 9/10 they'll go with someone with a bachelors over some faceless freelancer in a sea of others just like them. Unless you have an *amazing* portfolio the chances of you getting freelance work isnt good at all.

If you want, you can do additional two years and earn your masters, which will let you teach web design. You can teach and still do freelance work on the side, even using your projects as lessons for students.

Muse is a great program, it lets you design without having to code [from my understanding it does it for you]. Just look online for tutorials on the basics and go from there. Im sure most schools are already teaching students how to use Muse.

Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Coffee
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Ωmega View Post
    Go to school, go to school, go to school. There a *tons* of freelance web designers out there, you want to be hired by a company and 9/10 they'll go with someone with a bachelors over some faceless freelancer in a sea of others just like them. Unless you have an *amazing* portfolio the chances of you getting freelance work isnt good at all.

If you want, you can do additional two years and earn your masters, which will let you teach web design. You can teach and still do freelance work on the side, even using your projects as lessons for students.
    I do plan on going to college after awhile, just need to know the basics before I go into a course and having no idea what to do from the start. Planning on going for bachelors or masters, but need money for college atm, and finding a job w/ my disability is hard work, and going for SSI would probably take a few years for it to kick in, and I need to start this up fast for the goal I have in mind.
    Last edited by (_YvOnSo_); 08-18-2013 at 12:24 PM.

(_YvOnSo_) Artwork

7. Likes Miss Electric Moonlight liked this post
    The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    645 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-19-2015 12:37 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

Quote Originally Posted by (_YvOnSo_) View Post
    I do plan on going to college after awhile, just need to know the basics before I go into a course and having no idea what to do from the start. Planning on going for bachelors or masters, but need money for college atm, and finding a job w/ my disability is hard work, and going for SSI would probably take a few years for it to kick in, and I need to start this up fast for the goal I have in mind.
    Many colleges will teach you the basics, they dont expect you to know everything off hand. Theres also financial aid and grants you can apply for. What disability do you have? Lots of schools are willing to accommodate that.

For now my suggestion would be to look into design-based sites. Heres a great start: http://www.webdesign-inspiration.com/
    See whats trending, make notes and try replicating a few things. Then try editing it to make it unique. Then try designing from scratch, eventually you'll be able to get into a flow that works for you

9. Likes Miss Electric Moonlight liked this post
    Yoko Littner Fan Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Where
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-15-2015 06:01 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Here is what I would recommend:

1) Use a text editor
    Using more advanced programs is fine, but you really shouldn't use them until you know what they're actually doing. Tools take a while to learn, and at the beginning you want to prioritize learning the basics rather than learning advanced tools.

2) Learn basic overview of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript
    A good place to do this is W3Schools. You can use Google or some other search engine to find tutorials as well.

3) Look at how popular sites have designed their site
    People prefer familiar interfaces because they know what to expect and what to do. This will also give you ideas for step 4. Often you'll be able to look at the HTML and CSS and gain some insight from it.

4) Draw out simple layouts on paper then try to implement them yourself
    This will help you figure out what you don't know and thus what you need to learn. It is not hard to learn something once you know what it is you need to learn. All you have to do is go to your favorite search engine and type in "X tutorial" or "how do I do X". However, never copy and paste any code which you do not fully understand.

Well, these are important steps for basic skill acquisition. I didn't list school because you don't need school if you have the ambition and discipline to self study. School can be very helpful though when it comes to networking, degrees, and other things which will get you into the door, but don't involve actual learning.

Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Coffee
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Wio View Post
    1) Use a text editor
    Using more advanced programs is fine, but you really shouldn't use them until you know what they're actually doing. Tools take a while to learn, and at the beginning you want to prioritize learning the basics rather than learning advanced tools.
    I thought the same thing, I'm doing what I'm doing at the moment to get some insight on what I'm up against on a basic level. I'm gonna work on the more technical stuff after.

2) Learn basic overview of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript
    A good place to do this is W3Schools. You can use Google or some other search engine to find tutorials as well.
    I'm going for that pretty soon, just got to take it slow for the time being because I'm still too new to it.

3) Look at how popular sites have designed their site
    People prefer familiar interfaces because they know what to expect and what to do. This will also give you ideas for step 4. Often you'll be able to look at the HTML and CSS and gain some insight from it.
    That's what I'm doing at the moment, and I also thought the same thing.

4) Draw out simple layouts on paper then try to implement them yourself
    This will help you figure out what you don't know and thus what you need to learn. It is not hard to learn something once you know what it is you need to learn. All you have to do is go to your favorite search engine and type in "X tutorial" or "how do I do X". However, never copy and paste any code which you do not fully understand.

Well, these are important steps for basic skill acquisition. I didn't list school because you don't need school if you have the ambition and discipline to self study. School can be very helpful though when it comes to networking, degrees, and other things which will get you into the door, but don't involve actual learning.
    I was thinking that as well, but I'm using http://www.wix.com/ for that. Doing a blank template, then imputing the idea's that are pop up in my head. Also big on using Google, so I'm always using search engines.
    Last edited by (_YvOnSo_); 08-18-2013 at 10:24 PM.

(_YvOnSo_) Artwork

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information