Hey everyone! Just wanted to create a thread for all the different sub-genres of metal out there and for all the metal bands that aren't getting any recognition.. I'm a big fan of power metal music and folk music (as of late) very underground and cliche in the U.S. you won't hear many of the Scandinavian metal bands on the radio, actually, you won't hear any.. Metalcore, Nu-Metal and Alternative metal bands seem to be the norm and yet people compare such bands that are flooding the radios with all the older 80's heavy metal bands like Metallica/Megadeth and seriously, it is all I hear about.. Fact is, there are thousands of power metal bands creating this type of music, power metal was a movement that kept metal alive in Europe when metal in the U.S. hit an all time low.. They have the biggest, best festivals with huge productions that these bands live off of, there is thousands of power metal bands and at the moment folk metal is on the rise.

I didn't see a thread on other metal genres btw, so that's why I created this thread. So a little about my music history.. As a kid I liked country music then I got into classical music and opera, my parents actually hated country music and got me out of it quickly, my dad would play things like Queensryche, The Cult, Collective Soul, Bad Company, Brother Cane, Stevie Ray Vaughn and some other things around the house, I kinda grew up liking alternative music because it was so mainstream and it was all I heard on the radio..

By the time I got into high school everyone was listening to Slipknot, Korn, Static-X and so forth, such music was on the rise, nu-metal and everyone was into it.. I decided after about a year of listening to it that I didn't like it, I discovered the melo-death metal bands in 2001 (IN FlAMES) by complete accident, I was browsing on WINMX one day when I by some sheer accident downloaded a song of theirs, gave it a listen anyways instead of deleting it.. This was during my freshmen year and after that, everything changed.. I discovered Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquility, Soilwork and tons of other bands from the Gothenburg metal scene and during these years I went to several melo-death metal concerts and then I discovered Kamelot my sophomore year, while I never saw them live, I was still a bit new to the power metal scene.. Kamelot was the first power metal band I had heard and it was another band I discovered by accident, their first song I heard from them was Karma.. I also discovered Edguy and Freedom Call (two german bands) and liked what I heard, sometimes my mother would buy me the albums and sometimes I would download them.. Anyways, onward getting a job, getting a PC, burning albums, downloading music, buying CD's by 2007ish, I had everything figured out by then.. It's the melody that I liked, I didn't care how heavy or how fast it was.. Simply put, I like music with melody since I like classical music, it was the same reason I liked melodic-death metal and symphonic black metal, I love the melody!

And it has gotten me into several, several different genres of music, I can listen to Iron Maiden/Dio now since I know those are the roots of power metal, they may not have been power metal bands or artists, but that's the influence.. Also this year alone I have seen Epica, Alestorm (who I will be seeing again), White Wizzard, Amaranthe, Into Eternity, and Paganfest which consisted of Ensiferum, Tyr, Heidevolk, Trollfest and a bunch of local bands.. At the end of the month I will see Wintersun and in September I will see Kamelot with Delain...

So many bands great bands from all over touring here, yet not a single one I hear on the radio.. (someone explain this grozit..) anyways, I love melodic metal music and this thread is for those who like the same thing!

One of my current favorite newer bands is a band from Russia known as Last Wail, which uses female death metal vocals (the best I have heard since Arch Enemy and the Agonist and Arkona) its also one of the few folk metal bands from Russia that sing in english..

And here is one of my favorite German bands that released one of the best albums this year, Suidakra, which I have been listening to their new album all summer, they feature bagpipes and crazy vocal harmonies without being overly cheesy