AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Creating Anime?

Junior Member NaitoWho is on a distinguished road NaitoWho's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-01-2013 11:10 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Creating Anime?

Ok, so basically, for the past four years, I've had an idea for an anime zooming around in my head. I think about it everyday, adding to the plot, and I just can't help it! There's nothing I can do about it, it's just sort of...there. Sometimes I'll drift into thought in the middle of conversation, when in school, the middle of class, just about in the middle of everything! For example, I went to a Paramore concert two years ago, and in the very middle of the concert, I found myself deep in thought about this show.

I've thought of perhaps taking this idea to a network sometime (I've thought of Sy-Fy), although it's hard to create a successful anime in the States and I can't draw to save my life! But yeah, like I said, four years. That is a very long time to sit on one idea, and sense there isn't a way for me to create this with the skills I have (I can write, but that's about the extent of my ability), I can't do anything about it.

So, it all comes down to one very important, crazy question...is there anyone out there who can help in any way? Plot detail, drawings...anything, really. Not that I'm asking you to help directly, not like meeting in person, just plot details over this forum to begin with. Again, I know this is absolutely insane of me to ask of total strangers (not to mention I'm new to the site) but the internet is the only place I can turn at this point.

2. Likes darksky967 liked this post
    Senior Member Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-15-2013 12:26 AM
    Threads

Default Re: Creating Anime?

What I would suggest, if you haven't already write it down. You have to understand that making an animated series is no easy thing to do, just making a few seconds of animation can take a week. It really isn't easy. I suggest try to format it into a webcomic, there are people willing to help you draw out the series. Or actually LEARN to draw. We all have ideas for what a great show would be, but as well as they may seem in our heads, it may just not look good on paper.

"Tell her that I miss our little talks."

Member Mesut is on a distinguished road Mesut's Avatar
    Gil
    Bahahaha
    Gifts Katana Mini Cooper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-08-2013 05:50 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: MartinF03

Most animes start off as mangas or light novels. Like the post before me said, you should try to make some type of comic series online then as you get on with your series and you get more experience then maybe you'll be able to create an anime!

Senior Member Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium's Avatar
    Gil
    Cloud_9
    Gifts Typewriter Dolphin Systems PS3
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-01-2014 08:48 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

As the other posters said, most anime start off as a novel or manga and form into a show. Have you written it out; including characters, villains, plot, place, time, etc? If so, I would recommend making a http://www.wattpad.com/ account. The reason I say this is because they can't be copied from the page, unlike fanfictoin.com and fictionpress.com ... If you start to write it, be sure to give us a link. I would love to read it.

Straight Outta Motown! Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Paint Palette Mic Sunglasses
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-28-2014 02:35 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sleepy_Ninja313

Every person above me recommended some good suggestions. It would be best to just start out with just making a comic. Trying to learn to draw isn't easy for some people. Look out for some books on how to draw like Fun With a Pencil(and any other book) by Andrew Loomis, You Can Draw In 30 Days by Mark Kistler, Drawing on The Right Side of The Brain by Betty Edwards just to grasp the basics on drawing. Books like those help in my opinion, but there are websites that you can go to for art tutorials and such like Deviant Art and Youtube. As for writing the only thing i can think of recommending to check out is Alan Moore's Writing For Comics, Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud and just reading other books/stories.
    Last edited by Token Black Guy; 07-29-2013 at 06:15 PM.
    Man that is whack!

Token Black Guy

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Don't try to create an anime by yourself, ever and not even with a few people. This is something that you probably will need a team of 50+. Too much work.

Create a comic/manga like people suggested first.
    You should deff try to gather a whole team that can perform different tasks, and multiple people that can cover each task, or at least two to hasten the process or at least to keep production constant.

And if you are successful with it, more people will be willing to help or go as far as funding you.
    Last edited by Hanamaru Kunikida; 07-28-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Senior Member Steven21088 will become famous soon enough Steven21088 will become famous soon enough Steven21088's Avatar
    Gil
    Dead
    Gifts Lighter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-17-2018 09:17 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Lenny21088

Ye everyone has pretty much hit the nail on the head with what your best way of going about it is. But if you need any help, I study acting and have a decent quality mic and can help with voices if you need.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Wow, these are all brilliant suggestions, thank you guys so much! A team of 50+ is pretty much out of the question right now for me, but I suppose a small group of friends in the creation of a light novel would be fine. The thing is, this is more of a main-stream series in some ways (powers, action-sequences) but more of an overall story with a big, over-shadowing plot and a large scope. I can't really describe it, but I guess think Bleach for the action sequences (I'm not really into that show, but I think that best describes the style) with the storytelling style of FMA or FMAB. Of course, this isn't down on paper, but that's my guess as to how it would work itself out, but you never know, really. Hopefully it will have a style all it's own :P
    But, it being more mainstream doesn't always work in a novel, I imagine that the visuals will sometimes carry the show. But, a light novel should work anyway, I'll give it a go

Edit: Also yes, I have already written the first two arcs, and they flow rather well, I like to think. These are only very basic drafts, though, with not allot of detail.
    Last edited by NaitoWho; 07-29-2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Adding

Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pocket Watch Katana Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2019 09:03 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

If you're relying on visuals to carry the thing you might just have to knuckle down and learn some art. Not such a bad move if you're young, depending on how much time you sink into it.

Or learn something usefull and comission the artwork. I guess you'd have to be careful with copyright stuff. But there are plenty of art majors out where working part time at a starbucks that could do some decent manga style drawing for you. Maybe getting a small team of part timers would help in copyright space?

If you aren't up for all that, maybe just make a game here of it in the RPG board.

WOW!!!! Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Gifts AK47 American Flag Ribbon Systems N64
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2023 04:18 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WootenClen

Quote Originally Posted by NaitoWho View Post
    Wow, these are all brilliant suggestions, thank you guys so much! A team of 50+ is pretty much out of the question right now for me, but I suppose a small group of friends in the creation of a light novel would be fine. The thing is, this is more of a main-stream series in some ways (powers, action-sequences) but more of an overall story with a big, over-shadowing plot and a large scope. I can't really describe it, but I guess think Bleach for the action sequences (I'm not really into that show, but I think that best describes the style) with the storytelling style of FMA or FMAB. Of course, this isn't down on paper, but that's my guess as to how it would work itself out, but you never know, really. Hopefully it will have a style all it's own :P
    But, it being more mainstream doesn't always work in a novel, I imagine that the visuals will sometimes carry the show. But, a light novel should work anyway, I'll give it a go

Edit: Also yes, I have already written the first two arcs, and they flow rather well, I like to think. These are only very basic drafts, though, with not allot of detail.
    Hey
    can you PM me (or just post) what you have, I'm interested.

Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Something else that occurs to me is that you might want to go the "graphic novel" route if you can learn/aquire some art skills.

You've indicated that your stuff isn't super origional as anime goes. However part of the reason we're anime/manga fans is that the content is different from typical western content (there is no western Cowboy Bebop analog to my knowlege for example). Now there are a number of people from outside of Japan that have tried to go comercial, however they tend to go full (EDIT: apparently this forum censors all the terms for somebody who likes Japan a little too much ) and start making their stuff go right to left, feature Japan or its culture, or feature underage girls.

I think there is a place for an animeish graphic novel that avoids all that. Your objective would to be able to get on the shelves next to Sin City and Watchmen, or maybe near Batman and Hellboy.
    Last edited by sunnyside; 07-30-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    Something else that occurs to me is that you might want to go the "graphic novel" route if you can learn/aquire some art skills.

You've indicated that your stuff isn't super origional as anime goes. However part of the reason we're anime/manga fans is that the content is different from typical western content (there is no western Cowboy Bebop analog to my knowlege for example). Now there are a number of people from outside of Japan that have tried to go comercial, however they tend to go full (EDIT: apparently this forum censors all the terms for somebody who likes Japan a little too much ) and start making their stuff go right to left, feature Japan or its culture, or feature underage girls.

I think there is a place for an animeish graphic novel that avoids all that. Your objective would to be able to get on the shelves next to Sin City and Watchmen, or maybe near Batman and Hellboy.
    My overall goal here is basically a pretty big one (one I will probably never achieve), but it's simply to produce a show and/or graphic novel in the style of anime that is accepted by an American audience. I won't lie; the plot could be much more original that it is, but hey, I'm just one person, and my creativity can only go so far. Like I said, it's pretty mainstream, but I think that is necessary for an American audience.

That being said, I don't mind creating a graphic novel (even if I can't draw, there are plenty of Author/Artist duos out there), but the chances of getting an anime will most likely go down if such a work is published. I could be dead wrong about this, but I feel that creating it as an anime first is the way to go. There are many ways I could go about it, I suppose, and I guess creating a graphic novel would be fine. I've attempted drawing many times before, and I'm just not a natural (like most, obviously) so it's very difficult for me to learn as it was never a hobby of mine growing up. But like I said, I am not at all against an Author/Artist duo in the slightest.

Member Mesut is on a distinguished road Mesut's Avatar
    Gil
    Bahahaha
    Gifts Katana Mini Cooper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-08-2013 05:50 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: MartinF03

You should post up your draft on the forums. I'd like to read it, and I bet other people would like to read it as well!

Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

That being said, I don't mind creating a graphic novel (even if I can't draw, there are plenty of Author/Artist duos out there), but the chances of getting an anime will most likely go down if such a work is published. I could be dead wrong about this, but I feel that creating it as an anime first is the way to go. There are many ways I could go about it, I suppose, and I guess creating a graphic novel would be fine. I've attempted drawing many times before, and I'm just not a natural (like most, obviously) so it's very difficult for me to learn as it was never a hobby of mine growing up. But like I said, I am not at all against an Author/Artist duo in the slightest.
    There are many instance of graphic novels and such turning into full blown shows (come to think of it, the four graphic novels I mentioned all have become movies).

Going stright to anime? I'd say "good luck." Though people do send in screenplays and such to the studios and sometimes they get produced.

I guess you could also try and become a producer in the industry in the hopes that someday gives you the clout to make your own thing happen. However I think that would be particularly difficult for what you want to do, because the animation market in the west is pretty narrow and generally is either geared towards kids or toilet comedy. Though there is James Cameon's Avatar.

As for getting into the industry in Japan. Well... how do I put this... I think you're probably a gaijin, so it's just not going to happen. I should probably come up with a different way to say that.
    Last edited by sunnyside; 08-01-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

I can't draw, so any animes I came up with I published as books on Amazon under C.D. Overstreet and Clayton Overstreet.

"How to be an Anime Character" would be useful for the writing part. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...n%20Overstreet
    http://www.amazon.com/No-Way-Out-onl....D.+Overstreet

I can give you some easy tips though.

1. Make sure you have a villain

2. Keep from making your hero immortal/indestructable

3. Don't try it alone. Anime and manga are made by teams. Even Megatokyo started out with two guys.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Closed Thread

Thread Information