AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

View Poll Results: How Do You Feel About These Stereotypes?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Ghetto Is Terrible! Anyone Can Enjoy Animation, Regardless Of Age!

2 66.67%
  • The Ghetto Is Terrible, But Somewhat Necessary.

0 0%
  • The Ghetto Is Right- Most Adults Couldn't Like Cartoons If They Tried

0 0%
  • The Ghetto Is Necessary

0 0%
  • Animation Sucks

0 0%
  • None of the Above...

1 33.33%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Animation Age Ghetto

Member Sky Hedgehogian Maestro is on a distinguished road Sky Hedgehogian Maestro's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-28-2014 09:27 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Animation Age Ghetto

With standards lowered and budgets tightened, cartoons became little more than a drawn series of humorous gags devoid or blunted of emotional impact. Soon, it became unavoidable that the children's demographic became its target market. Although they were often funny and creative, their lack of concern for depth or strong characterization lent little room for adults to enjoy them. Furthermore in the West, animation was pigeonholed into a stereotype that they could only be successful if they were humorous.
    Main Article
    The Animation Age Ghetto
    I've been doing a tad bit of studying of this phenomenon, the "Animation Age Ghetto", and I've always been meaning to get the opinions of anime fans on this topic.

Senior Member Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Gifts Dodge Viper GTS Hyundai Coupe Yellow Ribbon
    Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-10-2017 10:46 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Bad_Prelude

Default Re: Animation Age Ghetto

Ghettos is where they put the jews before they were sent to camp, right?
    Hmmm... Been a while
    Sit back some time and simply ask yourself, [Link]->"Do you even lift, bro?"<-[Link]

Member Sky Hedgehogian Maestro is on a distinguished road Sky Hedgehogian Maestro's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

It's also where they put 'toons like Elfen Lied before they send'em to the children's section.
    You know, that could be a good thing. Get some kids into some gory stuff so that, when they grow up, they're fully aware that everything is for kids and there's no such thing as adult entertainment.

WOW!!!! Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Gifts AK47 American Flag Ribbon Systems N64
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2023 04:18 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WootenClen

But elfen Lied is for kids

Gil
    sunshine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

See, now you're speaking in Age Ghetto terms— or, more precisely, its tricky state. In Japan it's for kids, but it won't even air in the US. In fact, even a lot of kiddy anime in its uncut form had to be bowdlerised before airing.
    In the West (North America, South America especially, Europe...), it doesn't matter if its shounen, seinen, shoujo, josei, whatever. It's all for kids, no ifs ands or buts. And if it's not, it has no reason being animated. "Anime is for pervert pedophiles who can't accept that they're not 7 year old gays anymore," real words I've heard.

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Hedgehogian Maestro View Post
    See, now you're speaking in Age Ghetto terms— or, more precisely, its tricky state. In Japan it's for kids, but it won't even air in the US. In fact, even a lot of kiddy anime in its uncut form had to be bowdlerised before airing.
    In the West (North America, South America especially, Europe...), it doesn't matter if its shounen, seinen, shoujo, josei, whatever. It's all for kids, no ifs ands or buts. And if it's not, it has no reason being animated. "Anime is for pervert pedophiles who can't accept that they're not 7 year old gays anymore," real words I've heard.
    Whoever said that must be on bath salts. On topic, not all anime is for kids. People who think that are either very dumb or very stupid. See what I did there?
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

Gil
    sunshine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

But that's the glory of the ghetto— because it features drawings and not real people, all anime must be for kids. It only can be. What right-minded teenager or, Heaven forbid, adult would ever willingly watch a stupid little cartoon?

When you have to put up with this for years (by your own mother for that matter), you tend to ignore it after a while. The most pitiful part is, many adults can't take it. If a cartoon or anime does have adult themes, parents and adults and 'mature' teens are going to complain about it.

Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pocket Watch Katana Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2019 09:03 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

@Sky Hedgehogian Maestro

Obviously we're anime fans here, but I think the "ghetto" might be hard to break out of in the west, and I think that has a lot to do with how much money is involved.

Or I guess that might depend on how you define things. Is James Cameron's Avatar animated or not in your opinion? If you put CGI in another class, than I think the "ghetto" is still in play. Basically in the west the idea is that if something serious is worth making, than it's worth making using live action or Avatar quality CGI. The only exceptions that come to mind are Spawn: the animated series and most of The Animatrix. (Both of which were actually quite good, but neither is that new). They only bust out the animation when something isn't deemed worthy of a full budget (i.e. Kiddy toons and fart joke based cartoons)

I do think there is some respect in the US for Ghost in the Shell. But if it had been made in the US it would have been live action.

EDIT: There was also Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. But they did a lousy job with showing emotion on those faces and the movie bombed, and I guess it was CGI in any case. Heh, if you count low quality CGI as animation, than there was also Ultramarines: A Warhammer 40,000 Movie. I don't expect many people who don't already know what an Ultramarine is to watch it, but maybe consider giving it a go.
    Last edited by sunnyside; 07-15-2013 at 11:03 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information