AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 93

Thread: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

  1. #51
    Senior Member rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch's Avatar
    Gil
    14,431.34
    Gender
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-23-2014 05:35 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Threads
    5
    Posts
    767
    Rep Power
    231
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: lots of bits PSN ID: rf_switch Steam ID: lotsofbits

    Default Re: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ωmega View Post
    No, because its Studio Ghibli. Unless hes *directing* it it really doesnt matter.
    That's kind of what I'm talking about. If a westerner got a job as a director with a Japanese animation studio?

    How much western influence needs to be in the Anime before it's not Anime anymore?

  2. #52
    AF's Annoying Weeaboo Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner's Avatar
    Gil
    88,779.69
    Gender
    Gifts Ice Cream Watermelon Watermelon
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-18-2014 06:55 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    North Reading Massachusetts
    Age
    21
    Threads
    440
    Posts
    8,517
    Blog Entries
    100
    Rep Power
    8193
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: NanoEdge EX

    Default Re: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

    Not to sound rude, but is still a debate? Disney movies aren't anime, no matter what any Japanese person said. I want an official source that backs up claims of these shows being anime from here on out. Anything else is fodder.
    Check out Anime Globe for the latest in anime reviews and anime news!


    ~Me, when my waifu confessed her love to me~

  3. #53
    The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    1,000,763,772.19
    Gender
    Gifts Ice Cream Cookie Wolf
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-15-2014 07:26 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    27
    Threads
    338
    Posts
    14,791
    Blog Entries
    839
    AW Wallpapers
    26
    Rep Power
    10164
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

    Default Re: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

    Jesus. Seriously people, google anime

    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anime
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...icon.php?id=45
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/anime
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=anime
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/anime
    http://www.internetslang.com/ANIME-m...definition.asp
    http://oxforddictionaries.com/us/def..._english/anime

    What do they ALL have in common??
    noun
    a style of Japanese film and television animation, typically aimed at adults as well as children. Compare with manga.
    Origin:

    1980s: Japanese, shortened from animēshon, based on English animation

  4. #54
    Senior Member rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch's Avatar
    Gil
    14,431.34
    Gender
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-23-2014 05:35 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Threads
    5
    Posts
    767
    Rep Power
    231
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: lots of bits PSN ID: rf_switch Steam ID: lotsofbits

    Default Re: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anime Forum View Post
    Not to sound rude, but is still a debate? Disney movies aren't anime, no matter what any Japanese person said. I want an official source that backs up claims of these shows being anime from here on out. Anything else is fodder.
    Sure why not? More debatable than other things that get debated on the internet over and over again.... It's a term. It doesn't really matter what is and isn't Anime. I don't dislike something because it is or isn't Anime and neither should anyone else. If I can annoying someone by continuing on then why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ωmega View Post
    Jesus. Seriously people, google anime
    no

    Quote Originally Posted by Ωmega View Post
    1980s: Japanese, shortened from animēshon, based on English animation
    Which makes it seem like in Japan... Anything animated regardless of where it's from is "Anime".
    Last edited by rf switch; 06-20-2013 at 08:43 PM.

  5. #55
    The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    1,000,763,772.19
    Gender
    Gifts Ice Cream Cookie Wolf
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-15-2014 07:26 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    27
    Threads
    338
    Posts
    14,791
    Blog Entries
    839
    AW Wallpapers
    26
    Rep Power
    10164
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

    Default Re: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

    Quote Originally Posted by rf switch View Post
    Sure why not? More debatable than other things that get debated on the internet over and over again.... It's a term. It doesn't really matter what is and isn't Anime. I don't dislike something because it is or isn't Anime and neither should anyone else. If I can annoying someone by continuing on then why not?


    no


    Which makes it seem like in Japan... Anything animated regardless of where it's from is "Anime".
    No. Read it again. Read -all- the definitions again. In Japan, they call cartoons anime, short for animēshon, which they did based on American cartoons. Which destroys Claytons argument that -we- copy theyre style when they apparently started by copying us.

    IE- Cartoons in Japan. Cartoons were big in America, so they made cartoons too. They didnt call it cartoons, their shows are anime.

    [/thread]

  6. #56
    AF's Annoying Weeaboo Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner's Avatar
    Gil
    88,779.69
    Gender
    Gifts Ice Cream Watermelon Watermelon
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-18-2014 06:55 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    North Reading Massachusetts
    Age
    21
    Threads
    440
    Posts
    8,517
    Blog Entries
    100
    Rep Power
    8193
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: NanoEdge EX

    Default Re: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

    Quote Originally Posted by rf switch View Post
    Sure why not? More debatable than other things that get debated on the internet over and over again.... It's a term. It doesn't really matter what is and isn't Anime. I don't dislike something because it is or isn't Anime and neither should anyone else. If I can annoying someone by continuing on then why not?


    no
    Why do people keep saying that lol? Calling something not anime isn't an attack, just the facts. Lol, no one is getting annoyed. I'm just in awe of people that join an anime forum and don't even bother doing research before posting.
    Check out Anime Globe for the latest in anime reviews and anime news!


    ~Me, when my waifu confessed her love to me~

  7. #57
    Senior Member rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch's Avatar
    Gil
    14,431.34
    Gender
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-23-2014 05:35 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Threads
    5
    Posts
    767
    Rep Power
    231
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: lots of bits PSN ID: rf_switch Steam ID: lotsofbits

    Default Re: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anime Forum View Post
    Why do people keep saying that lol? Calling something not anime isn't an attack, just the facts. Lol, no one is getting annoyed. I'm just in awe of people that join an anime forum and don't even bother doing research before posting.
    You missed my bad buzzed/drunken grammar
    If I can annoying someone by continuing on then why not?
    Yeah...


    Omega posted links for me.

  8. #58
    AF's Annoying Weeaboo Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner's Avatar
    Gil
    88,779.69
    Gender
    Gifts Ice Cream Watermelon Watermelon
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-18-2014 06:55 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    North Reading Massachusetts
    Age
    21
    Threads
    440
    Posts
    8,517
    Blog Entries
    100
    Rep Power
    8193
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: NanoEdge EX

    Default Re: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

    Quote Originally Posted by rf switch View Post
    You missed my bad buzzed/drunken grammar

    Yeah...


    Omega posted links for me.
    Saw that, but decided to not mention it lol. xD
    Check out Anime Globe for the latest in anime reviews and anime news!


    ~Me, when my waifu confessed her love to me~

  9. #59
    The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    1,000,763,772.19
    Gender
    Gifts Ice Cream Cookie Wolf
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-15-2014 07:26 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    27
    Threads
    338
    Posts
    14,791
    Blog Entries
    839
    AW Wallpapers
    26
    Rep Power
    10164
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

    Default Re: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

    Links, I haz dem


  10. #60
    Missing In Action! MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife's Avatar
    Gil
    418.46
    Gender
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-07-2014 03:57 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Fu9
    Age
    28
    Threads
    35
    Posts
    2,912
    AW Wallpapers
    2
    Rep Power
    242
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: CloudStrifee PSN ID: MistaCloudStrife

    Default Re: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

    Lol. Anime has almost always been defined as Japanese Animation. So it's an animation(cartoon) made in Japan. And it's true that they basically copied the US' comics and cartoons in Japan and made manga and anime. (Even though some people will say that they're based on old Japanese scrolls, that's just BS) And although that may be true, it's also true that they went a different direction and at some point some studios over in the US did adapt some comics and cartoons to be more like manga and anime.

    It's a give and take sort of deal. Fact is, though, manga and anime were made possible because of influence of American comics and cartoons. Without the old school comics in the US, manga may not even exist. This in turn would heavily affect anime as well.

    Either way, a US cartoon can't be an anime and an anime can't be a US cartoon. Now a US cartoon can have an anime adaptation and vice versa, but if that isn't the case, then just call them what they're supposed to be. You don't call a Ford made in the USA, a Japanese import, no matter how small and economical-friendly it may be. Just saying.

  11. Likes Ωmega liked this post
  12. #61
    The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    1,000,763,772.19
    Gender
    Gifts Ice Cream Cookie Wolf
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-15-2014 07:26 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    27
    Threads
    338
    Posts
    14,791
    Blog Entries
    839
    AW Wallpapers
    26
    Rep Power
    10164
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

    Default Re: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistaCloudStrife View Post
    Lol. Anime has almost always been defined as Japanese Animation. So it's an animation(cartoon) made in Japan. And it's true that they basically copied the US' comics and cartoons in Japan and made manga and anime. (Even though some people will say that they're based on old Japanese scrolls, that's just BS) And although that may be true, it's also true that they went a different direction and at some point some studios over in the US did adapt some comics and cartoons to be more like manga and anime.

    It's a give and take sort of deal. Fact is, though, manga and anime were made possible because of influence of American comics and cartoons. Without the old school comics in the US, manga may not even exist. This in turn would heavily affect anime as well.

    Either way, a US cartoon can't be an anime and an anime can't be a US cartoon. Now a US cartoon can have an anime adaptation and vice versa, but if that isn't the case, then just call them what they're supposed to be. You don't call a Ford made in the USA, a Japanese import, no matter how small and economical-friendly it may be. Just saying.
    omg youre alive

  13. #62
    AF's Annoying Weeaboo Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner's Avatar
    Gil
    88,779.69
    Gender
    Gifts Ice Cream Watermelon Watermelon
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-18-2014 06:55 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    North Reading Massachusetts
    Age
    21
    Threads
    440
    Posts
    8,517
    Blog Entries
    100
    Rep Power
    8193
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: NanoEdge EX

    Default Re: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistaCloudStrife View Post
    Lol. Anime has almost always been defined as Japanese Animation. So it's an animation(cartoon) made in Japan. And it's true that they basically copied the US' comics and cartoons in Japan and made manga and anime. (Even though some people will say that they're based on old Japanese scrolls, that's just BS) And although that may be true, it's also true that they went a different direction and at some point some studios over in the US did adapt some comics and cartoons to be more like manga and anime.

    It's a give and take sort of deal. Fact is, though, manga and anime were made possible because of influence of American comics and cartoons. Without the old school comics in the US, manga may not even exist. This in turn would heavily affect anime as well.

    Either way, a US cartoon can't be an anime and an anime can't be a US cartoon. Now a US cartoon can have an anime adaptation and vice versa, but if that isn't the case, then just call them what they're supposed to be. You don't call a Ford made in the USA, a Japanese import, no matter how small and economical-friendly it may be. Just saying.
    [/END Thread]
    Check out Anime Globe for the latest in anime reviews and anime news!


    ~Me, when my waifu confessed her love to me~

  14. #63
    Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    43,073.34
    Gender
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-19-2014 09:25 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Behind Blue Eyes
    Threads
    278
    Posts
    1,954
    Rep Power
    136

    Default Re: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

    I'm just saying anime doesn't have to be made in Japan or by Japanese people ya freakin' nazis. It's a style of cartoon. In Japan all animation is called anime.

    As for the live action, Kill Bill did have animated parts in it, CGI counts as animation, and even in the Transformers movie part of the line goes "It's a giant robot... I think it's Japanese."

    Quote Originally Posted by Ωmega View Post
    She was Atlantian. Most people peg Atlantis to have been around places like: Egypt, Greece, Italy, etc.



    How about the Lion King? If they'd been human... and not ripped off of an anime...
    Last edited by Clayton_n; 06-21-2013 at 12:01 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.


    Author of "How to Be an Anime Character" available from Amazon.com

  15. #64
    The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    1,000,763,772.19
    Gender
    Gifts Ice Cream Cookie Wolf
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-15-2014 07:26 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    27
    Threads
    338
    Posts
    14,791
    Blog Entries
    839
    AW Wallpapers
    26
    Rep Power
    10164
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

    Default Re: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    I'm just saying anime doesn't have to be made in Japan or by Japanese people ya freakin' nazis. It's a style of cartoon. In Japan all animation is called anime.

    As for the live action, Kill Bill did have animated parts in it, CGI counts as animation, and even in the Transformers movie part of the line goes "It's a giant robot... I think it's Japanese."






    How about the Lion King? If they'd been human... and not ripped off of an anime...
    And Im just saying that anime is based on -our- cartoons, not vice versa. Once again, you are the -only- person who thinks practically everything is anime when you look at *any* definition as to what anime is it says its FROM [gasp] JAPAN!!

  16. #65
    Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    43,073.34
    Gender
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-19-2014 09:25 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Behind Blue Eyes
    Threads
    278
    Posts
    1,954
    Rep Power
    136

    Default Re: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

    No! I know there's a difference. It's a style though, not where it's made or by whom. The big eyes, the martial arts, the multi-colored gravity defying hair... most CGI films these days for example are done in the anime style. Country of origin and who makes it are irrelevant as long as it looks like anime and has the basic... feel.






    Last edited by Clayton_n; 06-21-2013 at 03:11 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.


    Author of "How to Be an Anime Character" available from Amazon.com

  17. #66
    The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    1,000,763,772.19
    Gender
    Gifts Ice Cream Cookie Wolf
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-15-2014 07:26 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    27
    Threads
    338
    Posts
    14,791
    Blog Entries
    839
    AW Wallpapers
    26
    Rep Power
    10164
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

    Default Re: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

    "Big eyes" was started by Disney. Its not the "anime" look, its the DISNEY look.

  18. #67
    Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    43,073.34
    Gender
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-19-2014 09:25 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Behind Blue Eyes
    Threads
    278
    Posts
    1,954
    Rep Power
    136

    Default Re: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

    *Evil Grin* I know.

    Also keep in mind that the last four Miyazaki films were based on The Borrowers, Wizard of Earthsea, The Little Mermaid, and Howl's Moving Castle.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.


    Author of "How to Be an Anime Character" available from Amazon.com

  19. #68
    The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    1,000,763,772.19
    Gender
    Gifts Ice Cream Cookie Wolf
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-15-2014 07:26 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    27
    Threads
    338
    Posts
    14,791
    Blog Entries
    839
    AW Wallpapers
    26
    Rep Power
    10164
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

    Default Re: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

    So then your argument that -our- movies/cartoons/etc are "anime" because they have big eyes is crap. Its all a Disney knock off, not anime.

    Congrats, you just proved yourself wrong.

  20. #69
    Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    43,073.34
    Gender
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-19-2014 09:25 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Behind Blue Eyes
    Threads
    278
    Posts
    1,954
    Rep Power
    136

    Default Re: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

    No, I'm just agreeing with you that the style did not even originate in Japan... in fact didn't Americans invent cartoons in the first place? Like how we made cars and then the Japanese just made them better. Now we do it the same way.


    Your argument seems to be that only one race on the planet and one tiny island on the planet is capable of producing anime... which is similar to the Nazi's feelings on Aryans.

    I'm fairly certain Justice League was made almost entirely in Korea for example. So are the Simpsons...

    I'm saying that it's a style. Call it anime, call it BESM, I don't care, but it's not about where the crap comes from it's about what they can do with it.

    Plus Disney buys most of it these days anyway.


    It's all about the way it's done, not who does it.












    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.


    Author of "How to Be an Anime Character" available from Amazon.com

  21. #70
    The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    1,000,763,772.19
    Gender
    Gifts Ice Cream Cookie Wolf
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-15-2014 07:26 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    27
    Threads
    338
    Posts
    14,791
    Blog Entries
    839
    AW Wallpapers
    26
    Rep Power
    10164
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

    Default Re: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

    Then if its about the -way- it done, its done in the Disney way. End of discussion

  22. #71
    AF's Annoying Weeaboo Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner's Avatar
    Gil
    88,779.69
    Gender
    Gifts Ice Cream Watermelon Watermelon
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-18-2014 06:55 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    North Reading Massachusetts
    Age
    21
    Threads
    440
    Posts
    8,517
    Blog Entries
    100
    Rep Power
    8193
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: NanoEdge EX

    Default Re: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    No, I'm just agreeing with you that the style did not even originate in Japan... in fact didn't Americans invent cartoons in the first place? Like how we made cars and then the Japanese just made them better. Now we do it the same way.


    Your argument seems to be that only one race on the planet and one tiny island on the planet is capable of producing anime... which is similar to the Nazi's feelings on Aryans.

    I'm fairly certain Justice League was made almost entirely in Korea for example. So are the Simpsons...

    I'm saying that it's a style. Call it anime, call it BESM, I don't care, but it's not about where the crap comes from it's about what they can do with it.

    Plus Disney buys most of it these days anyway.


    It's all about the way it's done, not who does it.












    American Animation told me to post this about you:
    Check out Anime Globe for the latest in anime reviews and anime news!


    ~Me, when my waifu confessed her love to me~

  23. Likes Ωmega liked this post
  24. #72
    Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    43,073.34
    Gender
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-19-2014 09:25 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Behind Blue Eyes
    Threads
    278
    Posts
    1,954
    Rep Power
    136

    Default Re: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ωmega View Post
    Then if its about the -way- it done, its done in the Disney way. End of discussion
    I can agree to that.



    Last edited by Clayton_n; 06-24-2013 at 04:57 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.


    Author of "How to Be an Anime Character" available from Amazon.com

  25. #73
    Member DeadmanWonderland is on a distinguished road DeadmanWonderland's Avatar
    Gil
    1,408.25
    Gender
    Gifts Double Bento
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-06-2013 01:22 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ontario
    Threads
    5
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

    Just like I don't consider anime to be a cartoon. Anime is like any TV series, but drawn. Main distinction, anime series have a plot that continues into the next episodes, as for cartoons, they're completely random.

  26. #74
    AF's Annoying Weeaboo Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner's Avatar
    Gil
    88,779.69
    Gender
    Gifts Ice Cream Watermelon Watermelon
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-18-2014 06:55 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    North Reading Massachusetts
    Age
    21
    Threads
    440
    Posts
    8,517
    Blog Entries
    100
    Rep Power
    8193
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: NanoEdge EX

    Default Re: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWonderland View Post
    Just like I don't consider anime to be a cartoon. Anime is like any TV series, but drawn. Main distinction, anime series have a plot that continues into the next episodes, as for cartoons, they're completely random.

    That isn't always true. Look at Total Drama Island, it is not Japan made and that has a story that is ongoing. Plus, anime are cartoons. Cartoon isn't a term only dedicated to one region or country, rather just what animation is. Anime is a cartoon, made in and written by Japanese.
    Check out Anime Globe for the latest in anime reviews and anime news!


    ~Me, when my waifu confessed her love to me~

  27. #75
    Member DeadmanWonderland is on a distinguished road DeadmanWonderland's Avatar
    Gil
    1,408.25
    Gender
    Gifts Double Bento
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-06-2013 01:22 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ontario
    Threads
    5
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: The old Argument: What defines what anime is?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Alucard View Post
    That isn't always true. Look at Total Drama Island, it is not Japan made and that has a story that is ongoing. Plus, anime are cartoons. Cartoon isn't a term only dedicated to one region or country, rather just what animation is. Anime is a cartoon, made in and written by Japanese.
    True, some cartoons continue their story in the next episodes. Your saying anime is only from Japan though? New to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-04-2010, 03:20 AM
  2. Which game defines your childhood gaming experience?
    By Lordwindowlicker in forum Video Games
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 09-25-2009, 03:29 AM
  3. Chow hall argument.
    By Broly3k8 in forum General Anime & Manga
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-10-2008, 08:10 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts