So, I got bored one day, which is what happens when you can only get online twice a week and have no job, and no inspiration to write anything. I was listening to stand-up comedy on my Sirius radio, and a routine by Frank Calliendo got me thinking about an old commercial... about some phone plan Charles Barkley was shilling, about getting "My Five". Apparently, something about having five people in a calling plan. Then I thought back... if you look at anime, and a lot of classic fiction, I read somewhere that several series follow the popular "My Five" archetypes...

There's the hero, the anti-hero, the big guy, the kid and the princess. The hero and the anti-hero are usually polar opposites of each other, the big guy is the huge bruiser, the kid is usually some kind of genius and/or savante, and the princess might not necessarily be a princess, but is either a magical girl, or the sex symbol of the group.

For classic anime examples, look at Sailor Moon (Moon is the hero, Mars is her anti-hero, Jupiter is the big guy, Mercury is the kid, Venus is the princess... well, I know they're all princesses, but...), or Outlaw Star (Gene is the hero, Jim is the kid, Melfina is the princess... you could either say Aisha is the big guy in terms of strength and Suzuka is the anti-hero in how her attitude is completely opposite of Gene's, or Suzuka is the big guy because of her height and Aisha is the anti-hero because she and Gene are always at each other's throats). If you want to stretch the analogy a bit, look at Cowboy Beboy (Spike is the hero, Faye is the princess, Ed is the kid, and Jet kind of serves as both anti-hero and the big guy). I tell you, you get an anime, or usually some other kind of fiction, that stars a group of five people, you'll be able to parse this out for yourself.

So I wondered, if I were to do that... pick and choose five anime characters to be in "My Five"... who would it be? This is purely coincidence that all five of mine are women. Promise.

WHO'S IN MY FIVE?

---

Click image for larger version

Name:	azumanga_daioh_06_0.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	75963
Hero: Ayumu "Osaka" Kasuga from Azumanga Daioh
Osaka's always had a special place in my heart. As one of my favorite anime characters of all time, I had to choose Osaka to 'lead' my five. She's slow, she's simple, but she's got a good heart, and she makes a habit of thinking out of the box. Plus, she's not your traditional spunky or busty heroine.. she's something different. Besides, who out there hasn't had an occasional "Osaka Moment"?

Name:	TMkiyone01.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	75964
Anti-Hero: Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo
I always thought it'd make the most sense for Kiyone to end up with Tenchi, because she's the only one not actively chasing him. Where Osaka is mentally deficient and simple, Kiyone is intelligent and very aggressive. Where Osaka is always cheerful and friendly, Kiyone has a hair-trigger temper and can be pretty abrasive, especially on the job. But somehow, I see them getting along.

Name:	RuneSoldier-Genie1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	75965
Big Guy: Genie from Rune Soldier
This one was a no-brainer. You NEED to check out Rune Soldier, it's an excellent Slayers-type anime that, IIRC, takes place in the Record of Lodoss War universe, but it's funny as hell. Genie is one of the only really muscular anime women out there, she takes NO crap from anyone, she's strong as hell, and she's got a tortured past that involves her time in the military. One of my favorite anime girls, period.

Name:	puchiko.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	75966
Kid: Puchiko from Di Gi Charat
How could you look at that face and not thing that Puchiko is one of the most adorable anime characters ever? She's as cute and adorable as they come... but she's even more hard-working than Dejiko (although that's not too hard) and on the rare occasion she does open her mouth, it's either seriously important or bitingly caustic.

Name:	Kirika_9.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	75967
Princess: Kirika Misono from Eiken
Because breasts. That, and I believe she's the only legal-age female from Eiken, and she's got one hell of an aggressive attitude. Also, breasts.

---

So I ask you...

WHO'S IN YOUR FIVE?

(Pictures aren't absolutely necessary, I just added them because I made a couple of obscure picks)