AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New poster, Looking for some specific anime recommendations

Junior Member Mechanoid2k is on a distinguished road Mechanoid2k's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-29-2013 03:21 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default New poster, Looking for some specific anime recommendations

Hi all

I joined this website after searching up "anime forums" on google hehe, and I did this because I need help with some movie recommendations.

Now I'm very far from what people would call a "anime fan" or "anime nerd" so I'm not exactly in the know but I do enjoy certain anime. I like a lot of the mech anime like robotech and gundam, stuff like that. The other anime I really enjoy are ones that have very powerful themes. The latter is the kind I need some recommendations on. I'll list a few that I've seen so you get an idea of what I'm looking for.

Perfect Blue (english dub)
    Akira (streamline dub, suck it pioneer. I'm also reading the manga)
    Metropolis (english dub, but I plan to watch it subtitled soon)
    The cat returns (not as powerful but still rather captivating, subtitled)
    Macross plus movie edition (subtitled manga VHS I know its mecha technically but its pretty powerful)
    Elfen Lied (Kinda girly but deep story line, don't hate)

The most recent one I saw was metropolis and that movie really made a lasting emotional impact on me and those are the kinds that I'm looking for. I understand Katsuhiro Otomo was sorta the undisputed king of these really profound story lines, however Perfect Blue wasn't done by him and it was fantastic.

Without any disrespect I have to say that I'm absolutely not a fan of the animes that have like 2000 episodes like cowboy bebop or naruto, inuyasha and stuff like that (desert punk was awesome though). I'm mostly looking for movies or even OVA's.

Anyways I hope that's enough description of what I'm trying to look for, and I look forward to hearing your recommendations.

Thanks for reading

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

Also I forgot to add that I really liked Neo Tokyo. I know that Neo Tokyo as a whole (neo tokyo and akira) was a Katsuhiro theme but It's a great one.

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

Also Millennium Actress by Satoshi Kon looks pretty promising but I haven't seen it.

Senior Member Riamu.Midori has a reputation beyond repute Riamu.Midori has a reputation beyond repute Riamu.Midori has a reputation beyond repute Riamu.Midori has a reputation beyond repute Riamu.Midori has a reputation beyond repute Riamu.Midori has a reputation beyond repute Riamu.Midori has a reputation beyond repute Riamu.Midori has a reputation beyond repute Riamu.Midori has a reputation beyond repute Riamu.Midori has a reputation beyond repute Riamu.Midori has a reputation beyond repute Riamu.Midori's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Gifts Ceiling Cat Playing Cards K-on Pick
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-19-2013 02:18 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SHADOWSNIPES56

Default Re: New poster, Looking for some specific anime recommendations

Lol I found the website the same way and you don't have to be a hardcore anime fan to be apart of the community :3

The thing you wished for the most, is something you’ll never get.
    ~Aisaka Taiga

3DS friend code: 3024-5737-8747
    ~Evoke2111~

Junior Member Mechanoid2k is on a distinguished road Mechanoid2k's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-29-2013 03:21 PM
    Threads

Thank you for being so inviting.
    might you have any recommendations for me?

Senior Member Inactive_Account has a reputation beyond repute Inactive_Account has a reputation beyond repute Inactive_Account has a reputation beyond repute Inactive_Account has a reputation beyond repute Inactive_Account has a reputation beyond repute Inactive_Account has a reputation beyond repute Inactive_Account has a reputation beyond repute Inactive_Account has a reputation beyond repute Inactive_Account has a reputation beyond repute Inactive_Account has a reputation beyond repute Inactive_Account has a reputation beyond repute Inactive_Account's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-31-2014 09:18 PM
    Threads

Neon Genesis Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain, and Shin Sekai Yori sound perfect for you.

Shin Sekai Yori is a little bit slow because it builds itself on dark undertones and foreshadowing at the start of the story, but if you can get through that then you are in for a treat.

Evangelion is 26 episodes and 2 movies, Lain is 13 episodes, and Shin Sekai Yori is 25.
    Last edited by Inactive_Account; 04-29-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Senior Member Konkulf has a reputation beyond repute Konkulf has a reputation beyond repute Konkulf has a reputation beyond repute Konkulf has a reputation beyond repute Konkulf has a reputation beyond repute Konkulf has a reputation beyond repute Konkulf has a reputation beyond repute Konkulf has a reputation beyond repute Konkulf has a reputation beyond repute Konkulf has a reputation beyond repute Konkulf has a reputation beyond repute Konkulf's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-22-2016 03:56 PM
    Threads

I can list up a few you might want to check out:
    • Darker than Black - Fantastic action series filled with a lot of mystery and dark undertones.
    • Kara no Kyoukai (Episodic "series" of sorts consisting of 50 minute episodes, hence why the "sequels" are called 2,3,4 etc) - Mysterious, dark and very awesome is probably what describes this anime best.
    • Steins;Gate - This one here is one of my personal favourites, I can not recommend this enough.
    • Claymore - Good action series with dark undertones.
    • Ergo Proxy - You either love this one or hate it, it focuses very much on the mysterious and psychological aspects.
    • Mushishi - Might not fit into what you're looking for, but I'll recommend it either way, seeing as it's a masterpiece in it's own right. Very deep and satisfying anime.

Got a few more I could throw into the mix if you need more, but I'll leave you with this for now
    Last edited by Konkulf; 04-29-2013 at 04:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information