AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite childhood books!

Senior Member Tiel has a reputation beyond repute Tiel has a reputation beyond repute Tiel has a reputation beyond repute Tiel has a reputation beyond repute Tiel has a reputation beyond repute Tiel has a reputation beyond repute Tiel has a reputation beyond repute Tiel has a reputation beyond repute Tiel has a reputation beyond repute Tiel has a reputation beyond repute Tiel has a reputation beyond repute Tiel's Avatar
    Gil
    Breezy
    Gifts Uranus Space Sword Glass
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-23-2015 02:20 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Your favorite childhood books!

As a kid, I read a lot of books, many of which I still adore nowadays.

I was quite fond of series such as Redwall, the Adventure series by Enid Blyton, many of E. Nesbit's books, much of Roald Dahl's works, the Oz series, lots of books by Louisa May Alcott, and then seperate books such as Sherlock Holmes, The Secret Garden, Alice in Wonderland... the list goes on and on!

So my question to you now is: Which books were your favorites when you were a kid?

Descendant of Elves Pirouette has a reputation beyond repute Pirouette has a reputation beyond repute Pirouette has a reputation beyond repute Pirouette has a reputation beyond repute Pirouette has a reputation beyond repute Pirouette has a reputation beyond repute Pirouette has a reputation beyond repute Pirouette has a reputation beyond repute Pirouette has a reputation beyond repute Pirouette has a reputation beyond repute Pirouette has a reputation beyond repute Pirouette's Avatar
    Gil
    Devilish
    Gifts Aria Neko Haruhi Sos Dan Compass
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-19-2014 11:16 AM
    Threads

Default Re: Your favorite childhood books!

Dr. Seuss - The Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish, etc.

Robert Munsch - The Paper Bag Princess, Murmel Murmel Murmel, Mortimer, Thomas' Snowsuit, Stephanie's Ponytail, etc.

Ann M. Martin's Baby-Sitters Little Sister series.

J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series.

Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland
    Last edited by Pirouette; 04-16-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Cannibal Countess ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett's Avatar
    Gil
    In Love
    Gifts Purple Ribbon Heart Pocky
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-02-2016 06:26 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChibiLovett Steam ID: ChibiLovett

When I was little?

The Witches of Friar's Lantern by Sandra Forrester is the only one I can actually still remember the title of, since I still own it so I'm looking at it right now. There was also some choose-your-own-adventure book I used to get from the bookmobile all the time that I honestly cannot remember the title of (I have the worst memory in the world for most things.), but it was a horror one that had something to do with Elizabeth Bathory at some point. There was another one that my teacher in 5th grade had that I used to read all the time, but again, my memory fails. I remember it was horror as well and there was some sort of shadow or hooded figure killing things, including a graphic scene with some dogs that it was not kind to.

Oh and I loved the Cirque du Freak series by Darren Shan! I still read those too. <3

Man I was a twisted child. .-. lol The only innocent one listed there was the first one!
    She has no shadows, and she radiates beauty.

Slender body, and two eyes like ebony.

Her spirit's golden, and her mind's a mystery.

Member ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-06-2013 01:27 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: ghostthegreat

Surprised no one mentioned all those R.L. Stine books. I think I must have read every single one.
    I need a new signature and I didn't know what to put, so I decided to throw this in.

Also check out my blog at http://danielkamin.wordpress.com

Member Raven Stargaryen is on a distinguished road Raven Stargaryen's Avatar
    Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-30-2013 08:21 PM
    Threads

I read Baby Sitters Club books as a kid. And then I got into Harry Potter....

Member Ravenclaw Isabella Riddle is on a distinguished road Ravenclaw Isabella Riddle's Avatar
    Sleepy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-15-2013 01:37 AM
    Hijacking the internet in The Room of Requirements
    Threads

That would have to be the Nancy Drew Series! The originals not the newer versions!

Senior Member Tiel has a reputation beyond repute Tiel has a reputation beyond repute Tiel has a reputation beyond repute Tiel has a reputation beyond repute Tiel has a reputation beyond repute Tiel has a reputation beyond repute Tiel has a reputation beyond repute Tiel has a reputation beyond repute Tiel has a reputation beyond repute Tiel has a reputation beyond repute Tiel has a reputation beyond repute Tiel's Avatar
    Gil
    Breezy
    Gifts Uranus Space Sword Glass
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-23-2015 02:20 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by ReadOrWrite84 View Post
    That would have to be the Nancy Drew Series! The originals not the newer versions!
    Excellent taste!
    Aha, I raised meself on those.., see, my aunt had almost all of them, so when I visited her during the summer I would just plow through them like a starving man at a banquet!

Junior Member tsuraiokami123 is on a distinguished road tsuraiokami123's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-19-2013 09:41 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: miguelaliaga13105

The series I used to read were The Redwall Series, The Magic Tree House Books, The Goosebumps books were always some of my favorites, and probably the weirdest one was the Captain Underpants Books.

Junior Member Vaida is on a distinguished road Vaida's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-15-2014 06:21 PM
    Threads

I think....my favourite childhood book was The Winter Prince by Elizabeth Wein. <3 I must've checked that book out 500 times. I also was big on Dracula by Bram Stoker and I really loved to read Beowulf. Beowulf in it's original format, I didn't care for the versions where they tried to story-ify it. Oh, I was also really big on Grimm's fairytales...D: Really big on them.

Senior Member iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV has a reputation beyond repute iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV has a reputation beyond repute iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV has a reputation beyond repute iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV has a reputation beyond repute iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV has a reputation beyond repute iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV has a reputation beyond repute iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV has a reputation beyond repute iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV has a reputation beyond repute iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV has a reputation beyond repute iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV has a reputation beyond repute iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV has a reputation beyond repute iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-12-2015 11:38 AM
    Threads

I used to always read the Junie B Jones series, by Barbara Park.

11. Likes Karirie liked this post
    Senior Member RainyDayMan has a reputation beyond repute RainyDayMan has a reputation beyond repute RainyDayMan has a reputation beyond repute RainyDayMan has a reputation beyond repute RainyDayMan has a reputation beyond repute RainyDayMan has a reputation beyond repute RainyDayMan has a reputation beyond repute RainyDayMan has a reputation beyond repute RainyDayMan has a reputation beyond repute RainyDayMan has a reputation beyond repute RainyDayMan has a reputation beyond repute RainyDayMan's Avatar
    Gil
    Devilish
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-17-2014 11:12 PM
    Charleston, South Carolina, Confederate States of America
    Threads

How about "A Wrinkle In Time" by Madeline L'engle?

"Let us enjoy the Rain together. My Umbrella is always open for you. Knowing me is knowing never having to say goodbye. It never stops raining, does it?"

Member Rusty Blade is on a distinguished road Rusty Blade's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-26-2013 04:36 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by ChibiLovett View Post
    Oh and I loved the Cirque du Freak series by Darren Shan! I still read those too. <3
    Yes! Darren Shan still remains one of my favourite authors but when I was a kid I freaking loved Cirque du Freak. I'd never followed a series properly until then and I religiously awaited each new book as it came out, pestering my parents to buy them for me. Ah, memories...I have almost everything he has ever written now, except for Zom-B but it's only a matter of time.

Also another one worth mentioning is Skullduggery Pleasant. I actually only ever read the first one as a child, but about two months ago I noticed it in a book store and there were like ten other books all of a sudden so I got the 2nd one, read it in a single night. The next day I bought the 3rd one. Finished it in another night. Next day I bought 4 and 5. Each time the same girl at the counter had coincidentally served me, looking more and more suspicious each day. Three days later I just bought everything else and now I'm completely up to date and eagerly awaiting the new one out this month!

Oh and Maximum Ride, I still need to finish that series.

And the Alex Rider series. They were pretty damn good too.

There were other books I read as a child that I never should have though. Evil, twisted, depraved and sickly violent stuff that I could only get away with by borrowing it from the library, sandwiched between more innocent looking books so my parents wouldn't see them. But those ones were the most fun to read!

Cannibal Countess ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett's Avatar
    Gil
    In Love
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Blade View Post
    Yes! Darren Shan still remains one of my favourite authors but when I was a kid I freaking loved Cirque du Freak. I'd never followed a series properly until then and I religiously awaited each new book as it came out, pestering my parents to buy them for me. Ah, memories...I have almost everything he has ever written now, except for Zom-B but it's only a matter of time.

Also another one worth mentioning is Skullduggery Pleasant. I actually only ever read the first one as a child, but about two months ago I noticed it in a book store and there were like ten other books all of a sudden so I got the 2nd one, read it in a single night. The next day I bought the 3rd one. Finished it in another night. Next day I bought 4 and 5. Each time the same girl at the counter had coincidentally served me, looking more and more suspicious each day. Three days later I just bought everything else and now I'm completely up to date and eagerly awaiting the new one out this month!

There were other books I read as a child that I never should have though. Evil, twisted, depraved and sickly violent stuff that I could only get away with by borrowing it from the library, sandwiched between more innocent looking books so my parents wouldn't see them. But those ones were the most fun to read!
    It literally took me years before I could get a hold of a copy of the 4th Cirque du Freak book anywhere, libraries or otherwise, without buying it, so eventually I gave up. Then I discovered the library here now has all of them sometime last year and started reading them again. I'm slowly making my way up since I have issues with my library card (Not my fault!) so I can't actually check anything out. ^^;

Judging from your taste, methinks I should check out that Skullduggery Pleasant. :3 The title makes it sound....odd....which is perfect. lol And I completely agree! Evil and twisted stories are the best. ;D

I can't believe I forgot to mention The Looking Glass Wars! That's still my favorite series ever, to this day. I got the first one out of a book order in school in sixth grade and read it while on vacation to my aunt's house (ended up ignoring everyone all night while I read it). How can you go wrong with something like that? Within the first few chapters there's a giant battle as Redd assassinates both royals, including binding her sister with thorny rose vines and then beheading her, and Alyss and Hatter get sent to our world. Meanwhile The Cat died at least once in the process. When I discovered there was a second one, I flipped! Then it said a third one was coming and I waited so impatiently for that thing to be released. Now I own them all in hardcover, have Princess Alyss of Wonderland, and still plan on getting the Hatter M. graphic novels once I can, even though I've already read most of them at the library.

Senior Member Karirie is a splendid one to behold Karirie is a splendid one to behold Karirie is a splendid one to behold Karirie is a splendid one to behold Karirie is a splendid one to behold Karirie is a splendid one to behold Karirie is a splendid one to behold Karirie's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Kawaii Ice Cream Cone Gir 025 - Pikachu
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-24-2014 10:17 AM
    That's for me to know and for you to find out :3
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Splitzle View Post
    I used to always read the Junie B Jones series, by Barbara Park.
    Junie B Jones was my all time favorite as a kid. I really miss that series .

When snow (Yuki) melts it turns into rain (Ame). When rain (Ame) falls, flowers (Hana) bloom.

Member Rusty Blade is on a distinguished road Rusty Blade's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-26-2013 04:36 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by ChibiLovett View Post
    It literally took me years before I could get a hold of a copy of the 4th Cirque du Freak book anywhere, libraries or otherwise, without buying it, so eventually I gave up. Then I discovered the library here now has all of them sometime last year and started reading them again. I'm slowly making my way up since I have issues with my library card (Not my fault!) so I can't actually check anything out. ^^;
    That's weird, I had trouble finding the 4th book too. For a while it wasn't in any stores or libraries or anywhere! Though I eventually found it about 6 or 7 months after it came out so I was still in time for the next one, but that only happened with number 4. Strange...

Gil
    In Love
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Blade View Post
    That's weird, I had trouble finding the 4th book too. For a while it wasn't in any stores or libraries or anywhere! Though I eventually found it about 6 or 7 months after it came out so I was still in time for the next one, but that only happened with number 4. Strange...
    Really? o.O That's odd. I guess it's the curse of Vampire Mountain! haha

Senior Member AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-14-2016 08:56 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: DesuMaiden

I absolutely loved Where's Waldo. I just loved searching for Waldo when I was a kid.

Member marisauna is on a distinguished road marisauna's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-04-2014 01:58 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Marisauna

I always read my father's books as a kid, so I surprisingly read a lot of Tom Clancy and Ken Follett. I also had a more normal taste for Mark Twain.

&#32
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama's Avatar
    Gil
    Where
    Gifts V Guitar Coffee Red Kawaii Ice Cream Cone
    Mentioned
    1093 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-11-2018 11:21 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: FunkyFresh123 Steam ID: RyuTama

I loved Roald Dahl. Especially Matilda and James and the Giant Peach. Then there was Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell, the Animorphs series by K.A. Applegate, some original German Grimm's tales like Aschenputtel (Cinderella) and Rumpelstilzchen.

And of course, Harry Potter and some manga like Yu-Gi-Oh!: Duelist (so much darker than the anime) and InuYasha.

Then there's the more politically serious books that I was forced to read for school, but ended up loving. Like Night by Elie Wiesel, Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry by Mildred D Taylor, and The Clay Marble by Minfong Ho.

I don't think I ever liked the more "children-oriented" books like Junie B Jones or Captain Underpants. o.o;

And... after reading through some other posts... I NEVER REALIZED THERE WERE MORE BOOKS TO SKULLDUGGERY PLEASANT ASDFHJDF. I have like 8 books checked out from the library right now lol, but once I turn those in I NEED to have a look at those!

Junior Member safeguard is on a distinguished road safeguard's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-17-2014 08:04 PM
    Threads

Anything and everything by L.M. Montgomery. The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. And This Time of Darkness by H.M. Hoover really influenced my interest in science fiction. I also started reading Daphne du Maurier and the Brontes as a kid, now I just don't have the mental stamina to read those.

Member Excel Zero will become famous soon enough Excel Zero's Avatar
    Gil
    Inpain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-21-2014 11:46 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DerpyHoovesDA

if we are talking like young young then the Little Mister books

As I got older I didn't read much but we had these old bound books full of fairy tales...I think like three whole volumes chocked full of the tales
    I'll be changing my name to something around this when I can

Junior Member Teagan is on a distinguished road Teagan's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-16-2014 10:59 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

De grote vriendelijke reus.

Lol it's a dutch book. English: The big kind giant.

Senior Member S o l o has a reputation beyond repute S o l o has a reputation beyond repute S o l o has a reputation beyond repute S o l o has a reputation beyond repute S o l o has a reputation beyond repute S o l o has a reputation beyond repute S o l o has a reputation beyond repute S o l o has a reputation beyond repute S o l o has a reputation beyond repute S o l o has a reputation beyond repute S o l o has a reputation beyond repute S o l o's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts 001 - Bulbasaur 004 - Charmander 007 - Squirtle
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-16-2022 02:19 PM
    Threads

Hank The Cowdog series.
    (they don't know bout dat life.)
    I ♥ yuri

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

Narnia, Animorphs, Hobbit (Actually read this in the 4/5th grade), Goosebumps and that's pretty much all I can remember right now.

Member Blue Spirit will become famous soon enough Blue Spirit will become famous soon enough Blue Spirit's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-29-2015 02:59 AM
    Threads

Reading all the posts, it seems like that I'm the first and only one to say that I grew up with the Wakefield twins from Sweet Valley High by Francine Pascal. I don't know if I should hide in shame or what? They were very popular back in the day when I was a little girl, but I mostly read when the twins were in their senior year and other books that didn't follow any specific book series. I think I only read one or two from the university years because I couldn't find the rest and therefore stopped looking. I used to belong to a book club so I would buy books from that, borrow books from the library or buy from a store. I wasn't a fan of any other author until I eventually start reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy including The Hobbit, but by that time I was in my teens so I don't count that.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information