AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Japanese Tattoos on Foreigners

Senior Member KingArt has a reputation beyond repute KingArt has a reputation beyond repute KingArt has a reputation beyond repute KingArt has a reputation beyond repute KingArt has a reputation beyond repute KingArt has a reputation beyond repute KingArt has a reputation beyond repute KingArt has a reputation beyond repute KingArt has a reputation beyond repute KingArt has a reputation beyond repute KingArt has a reputation beyond repute KingArt's Avatar
    Gil
    Breezy
    Gifts Trollface Mario Fire Flower
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-19-2013 04:01 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Japanese Tattoos on Foreigners

I find this topic fun because I like to spend a lot of time at the local tattoo parlor. And I've seen time after time, people come in for their first tattoo, and choose to do a Japanese symbol, usually a random word. I say "Hey, it's your body... go for it put w.e you want, hell if you want a flaming caterpillar with a katana... go for it"

But just a few days ago I was called a "We..." (Term for an over enthusiastic anime/Japanese culture fan) at the beach by an acquaintance of mine for having a "Japanese" Symbol on my back. I never heard this term before so I was interested in hearing her rant and listen to her lecture on why she hated Americans having Japanese symbol tattoos.

It got late, It was time to go. So I purposely threw her the peace the sign, tried my hardest to make ^_^ face and said sayonara... and laughed as she stormed away mad at me.

I could have easily ended her rant, by pointing out my tattoo is not Japanese, It's the symbol for "Om" and probably make her feel incredibly stupid.

But I enjoy hearing peoples opinions
    So my question to you is

What's your opinion on the matter?
    Do you like these tattoos?
    Do you have any symbols of your own?
    Are you planing on getting one? If so which and why :]

Edit: My apologies I did not know I was bypassing censors by misspelling the term for an over enthusiastic anime/japanese culture fan, there fixed.
    Last edited by KingArt; 02-25-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Japanese Tattoos on Foreigners

Quote Originally Posted by KingArt View Post
    I find this topic fun because I like to spend a lot of time at the local tattoo parlor. And I've seen time after time, people come in for their first tattoo, and choose to do a Japanese symbol, usually a random word. I say "Hey, it's your body... go for it put w.e you want, hell if you want a flaming caterpillar with a katana... go for it"

But just a few days ago I was called a "Weaboo" at the beach by an acquaintance of mine for having a "Japanese" Symbol on my back. I never heard this term before so I was interested in hearing her rant and listen to her lecture on why she hated Americans having Japanese symbol tattoos.

It got late, It was time to go. So I purposely threw her the peace the sign, tried my hardest to make ^_^ face and said sayonara... and laughed as she stormed away mad at me.

I could have easily ended her rant, by pointing out my tattoo is not Japanese, It's the symbol for "Om" and probably make her feel incredibly stupid.

But I enjoy hearing peoples opinions
    So my question to you is

What's your opinion on the matter?
    Do you like these tattoos?
    Do you have any symbols of your own?
    Are you planing on getting one? If so which and why :]
    I'm trying to picture the scene in my head. I mean I'm not shocked she stormed away after the pose you did. Though I agree with you when its none of her buis. Your body, get anything you want on it.
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

Senior Member KingArt has a reputation beyond repute KingArt has a reputation beyond repute KingArt has a reputation beyond repute KingArt has a reputation beyond repute KingArt has a reputation beyond repute KingArt has a reputation beyond repute KingArt has a reputation beyond repute KingArt has a reputation beyond repute KingArt has a reputation beyond repute KingArt has a reputation beyond repute KingArt has a reputation beyond repute KingArt's Avatar
    Gil
    Breezy
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Niko Project View Post
    I'm trying to picture the scene in my head. I mean I'm not shocked she stormed away after the pose you did. Though I agree with you when its none of her buis. Your body, get anything you want on it.
    Yah xD I tried my best to depict her definition of a "anime fan" in order to piss her off.

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Yah xD I tried my best to depict her definition of a "anime fan" in order to piss her off.
    Should of nicknamed her Azusa-Nyan Chan. Or replace her Azusa with her real name. Lol.
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

5. Likes KingArt liked this post
    Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

My opinion, it's your choice and no one else's to make on if, what, how, or when you should get a tattoo. At the same token, you should be open to the problems face with having a tattoos. Like one problem that I have, thus I'm hesitant, is that I'm got oily skin. So the needle has to pushed in further or else it'll only last for a few, years if that. I know this because my dad has this problem too, and his tattoo barely made it a full year before requiring full touch-up/restore. There are certain things that I oppose to for tattoos, but it's not my call for someone else and I simply follow such things for my own wishes for my tattoos (Still having them being drawn). One thing that I find is dumb is tattooing names (especially your own). But I didn't raise a huge fuss when one of my buddies tattooed his last name to his fore arm. I simply pointed out that I would've have done it, and that it was borderline against military regs and could get him in trouble with his superiors in the future (especially if they changed the regs for the worse, and 3 years later that's what happened).

Honestly, I don't mind tattoos. It's pretty much a novelty thing for me. It doesn't make one better/worse, cooler/dorkier, or prettier/uglier by having one. I think tattooing your entire body is a bit ridiculous, but whatever it's your body not mine.

As for the symbols, I try to stay away from that (along with characters in foreign languages) unless I 100% know that's what it truly means. ie: being fluent in the language the tattoo is in. Thus it avoids wanting a Chinese character(s) for Dragon Lord, and getting the Chinese character(s) for Limp Noodle. Just say, it happens a lot and ten-to-one you know someone that had that happen to them. Also truly investigate the symbol first before having it inked, that way when I ask about your Ohm symbol "Ω" you don't get confused and whine about it being the Omega symbol. I'm an Electrician and that's what I use to show my resistance variables. So don't blame me for calling it the Ohm symbol. In your case, there may be a Japanese symbol that matches or is close to your "Om" symbol.

As for my tattoos, I'm having them drawn up still, not sure if I'll have them actually inked or not. And why? because I can.
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

7. Likes KingArt liked this post
    Gil
    Breezy
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

@deathblade "As for the symbols, I try to stay away from that (along with characters in foreign languages) unless I 100% know that's what it truly means. ie: being fluent in the language the tattoo is in. Thus it avoids wanting a Chinese character(s) for Dragon Lord, and getting the Chinese character(s) for Limp Noodle."

LOOOOOOL that's so true, it's kinda my unofficial duty to make small talk with the customers to give the place a home-y welcoming feeling... I always let people know before hand when it comes to tattooing symbols or words in other languages. DO NOT TRUST GOOGLE TRANSLATOR. We have had people blame the artist for tattooing a word or phrase incorrectly, when it was their translation the artist was given.

And yah, I never saw point of tattooing your own name on your body. To me it's pretty much saying, "HA I wrote it down, now I can't forget it"... but that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by KingArt; 02-25-2013 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Failed At Quoting

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

@deathblade "As for the symbols, I try to stay away from that (along with characters in foreign languages) unless I 100% know that's what it truly means. ie: being fluent in the language the tattoo is in. Thus it avoids wanting a Chinese character(s) for Dragon Lord, and getting the Chinese character(s) for Limp Noodle."

LOOOOOOL that's so true, it's kinda my unofficial duty to make small talk with the customers to give the place a home-y welcoming feeling... I always let people know before hand when it comes to tattooing symbols or words in other languages. DO NOT TRUST GOOGLE TRANSLATOR. We have had people blame the artist for tattooing a word or phrase incorrectly, when it was their translation the artist was given.

And yah, I never saw point of tattooing your own name on your body. To me it's pretty much saying, "HA I wrote it down, now I can't forget it"... but that's just my opinion.
    Protip: don't worry about mentioning me the "/" screws it up and just use the reply with quote button for future quotes ;P

Anyways, back the tats. Yea I don't know why people do that, it's just so silly to me. I understand some things like Semper Fidelis, or Semper Paratus, but always verify it man. Never take a translator's word for it. Especially a computer translator. At least you're being proactive about it instead of just taking the money and doing it anyways. And yea, the name thing is just dumb. Even with as many whacks to the head as I've taken, I still remember my name. Plus, I'll be damned if I tattoo someone else's name on me. Though the kid's names thing (that some parents do) is alright; I still think it's silly, just not as bad as the rest.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

Gil
    Breezy
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBlade/13.666 View Post
    Protip: don't worry about mentioning me the "/" screws it up and just use the reply with quote button for future quotes ;P

Anyways, back the tats. Yea I don't know why people do that, it's just so silly to me. I understand some things like Semper Fidelis, or Semper Paratus, but always verify it man. Never take a translator's word for it. Especially a computer translator. At least you're being proactive about it instead of just taking the money and doing it anyways. And yea, the name thing is just dumb. Even with as many whacks to the head as I've taken, I still remember my name. Plus, I'll be damned if I tattoo someone else's name on me. Though the kid's names thing (that some parents do) is alright; I still think it's silly, just not as bad as the rest.
    Yah, I never tell people against getting their bf/gf or spouses name tatted because that would be crossing the line in the shop and some might consider it offensive. But deep down I want to face palm when I see them getting it done. I'm only 20 and happily divorced... I remember when my ex wanted me to have her face tattooed on my arm. Thank you baby Jesus I didn't do that. I would be stuck with a horrible reminder, that would cost 100x more to remove than it cost to get done. Life is unpredictable, I can understand a family members name, specially if that family member passed away. But anything else is pushing it.

Looool, this picture is awesome. Pretty much the opposite tattoo idea, but with the same message.

11. Likes DeathBlade/13.666 liked this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

XD Yea, I would still advice against it though, or at least try to be subtle about it. Like "Are you SURE you want to get this tat done? You know it's gonna be Permanent, and last FOREVER, right? So you're ABSOLUTELY SURE about this?" XDD I know it will kill the cliental and drive customers away.

As for the face tat, I had to laugh because it reminded me of this http://www.geekologie.com/2013/02/in...-tattoo-fi.php Thankfully there was such a great guy like that artist to do such a thing. Aren't you glad you didn't have to deal with that? or having to remove/cover up the face of your ex?

Love that pic, btw. XD
    Last edited by DeathBlade/13.666; 02-25-2013 at 08:41 PM.

13. Likes KingArt liked this post
    Gil
    Breezy
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Wow what an impressive cover, the original tattoo is an abomination I would have burned that tattoo parlor to the ground if they put that on me >.<

15. Likes DeathBlade/13.666 liked this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wow what an impressive cover, the original tattoo is an abomination I would have burned that tattoo parlor to the ground if they put that on me >.<
    Me too, bud, me too. That's why once I get the drawings done I'm gonna be searching for someone that can actually do the drawings justice. Rather than have some hack screw it all up.

17. Likes KingArt liked this post
    Gil
    Breezy
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Yah man, that's a good plan... some people are not worthy of the title "Tattoo Artist"... taking time to find the right artist is the way to go. I currently am saving up my pennies because the one artist I trust for the tattoo I want lives in Poland and is kindof a big name. I want to get the 9 circles of hell as depicted by Dante's Inferno (not the video game) as a sleeve. Not that I am an advocate of hell or anything o.O. I just would really appreciate the aesthetic look of it. Would be a nice art piece pretty much.

Some examples of his work

Last edited by KingArt; 02-25-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Nice! I know that in Anchorage, AK there's a guy there that's like the second best tattoo artist in the world or something. His schedule is booked like years in advanced. Plus he's really expensive. Kinda wish I had gotten him to do one while I was stationed there.

Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pocket Watch Katana Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2019 09:03 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

That reminds me of a clip from Red Vs Blue on the subject:

On the term that she called you, that's a bit more complicated. Now this is an anime forum, presumably everybody here enjoys at least some of it. We probably all think at least some facet of Japanese culture would be fun to participate in. We also have some members here from Japan, and they seem pretty cool.

However when you get down to it, you and I, we're Gaijin. We would not be allowed into a number of establishments on our own in Japan and would be considered just not as good by a fair amount of the population.

So at some point it gets to be a bit like a little toady that dotes on and talks up the guys on the football team, even though they all just make fun of him. If he's going on and on about the team, it's going to really annoy his other friends that get made fun of by the team. And nobody at all thinks well of the toady.

Hopefully over time this will be less and less the case. This seems to be the direction things are heading. I really enjoy it when things come full circle with anime where I'm watching a subtitled Japanese show, and then they start singing in English or something.
    Last edited by sunnyside; 02-25-2013 at 09:47 PM.

21. Likes KingArt liked this post
    Gil
    Breezy
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I agree with you, the definition I used for the word she called me was just a quick vague definition lol, I bet that word could become a completely new thread on it's own. Just the fact she found the need to call me it over a tattoo she believed to be Japanese was amusing to me. I let her stroke her superiority complex she developed after taking her "introduction to Japanese" class in community college. I didn't want to burst her bubble by telling her it wasn't a Japanese symbol xD. And as for the video LOL I love Red Vs Blue, good choice.

Senior Member rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch's Avatar
    Gil
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-23-2014 05:35 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: lots of bits PSN ID: rf_switch Steam ID: lotsofbits

I got a friend whose not Japanese got the "equivalent" of "No Limit Soldier" tattooed in Japan on his arm.

24. Likes KingArt liked this post
Closed Thread

Thread Information