AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Never been to a con! Help!

Junior Member GoorudoGirl is on a distinguished road GoorudoGirl's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-05-2013 03:51 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Never been to a con! Help!

Hello all!

So, I've been really into anime on and off for about 7 years. Sadly, I've never been to an anime convention, and I feel that I should really go! The nearest one to me is AnimeDetour, however the registration is closed for this year. I'm going to go next year for sure.

Basically, I have a year and a half to make my costumes, and do whatever I need to do to be con ready. Do you guys have any suggestions for dos and don'ts at cons? Also do you guys know of any other cons in the SD, ND, MN, WI, IA area?

Thank you!!!

Junior Member mollyblue is on a distinguished road mollyblue's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-13-2013 05:48 PM
    Threads

Default Re: Never been to a con! Help!

Heeeey! You asked at just the right time.

ANIMINNEAPOLIS!!! <3 It's in Minneapolis, and is the second-biggest anime con in Minnesota (Detour is teh biggest).

And there's also Meta Con which is half anime half sci-fi/comics.

http://animinneapolis.com

http://metaconvention.com

Dos: Cosplay! Shower! Eat regularly!
    Don'ts: Forget to shower! Act so crazy that the hotel gets mad.

3. Likes Famahama liked this post
    Member Mirrai will become famous soon enough Mirrai's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-27-2014 01:14 PM
    Threads

Well, Just take note there's a LOT of people and sometimes It gets really crowded.
    So, take care of your things and belongings because you might lose them in the crowd.
    and have fun ~ you'll meet a lot people and eventually you might even meet them in the next convention :3

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

To start off I should inform you that I work as part of the usher/security team at the con I attend so I know quite a bit about what you should and should NOT do or bring to a con.

* The first thing you should ever do upon arriving at the con and getting your pass is READ the con guide! Not look at the cover picture and stuff it in your suitcase or car as a keepsake. Read it in it's entirety before attending ANY event. Because the guide informs you of the basic Cosplay/Props rules and other miscellaneous rules. Details about the events. The guide should provide you with a map of the center it's held at and the full schedule of events. But some people do not read everything and so we have a few problems at times.

* If you Para Para [dance] please take notice of your surroundings. Dancing is fun we love dancing! You have your boom box with a CD from TMOHS or Lucky Star thats even better! However the fact that you and 20 other people are dancing the the most crowded hall of the center.. Thats not so great. Please be considerate and pick an uncrowded open area to dance in so others have room to join and not block paths.

* Drink water & eat! As a staff I approve of just eating a snack every few hours HOWEVER to equal out that I recommend you go out and eat at LEAST 1 full balanced more expensive meal over the weekend. One meal will do you a lot of good compared to the ramen and chips you will likely be eating. I know and the rest of the staff knows you don't have the time and money to go out and eat a balanced meal every day. But living off of junk food and sodas is not good for this environment.

* A small sized book bag is your friend! Purses and normal book bags are not! Purses are an issue because they are less secure and a more sought after target. Full size book bags are okay but they ruin your cosplay and are bulky so thats more stuff you have to carry around. Your bag should be just big enough to fit the following
    - Hotel key or Car keys/ID.
    - Small cash [keep spare cash under $20. Go get more once you know you will need it to make a purchase]
    - A small snack and water bottle.
    - A list of the events you wish to attend and the times they run.
    - Camera/Phone since most cosplays are pocket-less
    - Other small stuff you would normally carry
    * Leave room for small vendor/artist ally purchases!

* IF in fact your con has a rave or club after hours and says they do bag checks unless you REALLLLY need your bag DO NOT bring one. Not only does it get in the way of your dancing. It slows down the lines as a bag check for unlawful or potentiality dangerous items. Women your bra is your best friend you can stick your phone and hotel key in there. Men you have over-sized pockets you are fine.

*Bring safety pens and bobby pins.. or 20.. If you are cosplaying or wearing anything that isn't daily attire more than likely you'll find yourself needing one at some point.. My dress clasp broke one year so I couldn't wear my dress one year since I didn't have anything to fasten it with. Never know what wardrobe malfunctions you might encounter. Those are quick wig/costume fixing tools. [/COLOR]

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

6. Likes Gyzra liked this post
    Senior Member Jeroen Mathon has a reputation beyond repute Jeroen Mathon has a reputation beyond repute Jeroen Mathon has a reputation beyond repute Jeroen Mathon has a reputation beyond repute Jeroen Mathon has a reputation beyond repute Jeroen Mathon has a reputation beyond repute Jeroen Mathon has a reputation beyond repute Jeroen Mathon has a reputation beyond repute Jeroen Mathon has a reputation beyond repute Jeroen Mathon has a reputation beyond repute Jeroen Mathon has a reputation beyond repute Jeroen Mathon's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Gifts Baka Radioactive
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-28-2013 02:38 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: jeroenmathonmac

Try this -.-

Member petitefeet is on a distinguished road petitefeet's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Tori Gate Red Stapler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-07-2013 10:07 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: petitefeet79

I learned a LOT of things after my first con. Here are the tips I've got:

- Stay with a friend or family member in the area if you can. It will save on hotel. Even better if you can get a group to go and go in on a room if absolutely necessary.

- Take your own food/snacks. It will be a lot cheaper than buying it while you're there. It is also a good idea just in case you blow almost all of your money in the dealer room (like I did my first year).

- Keep a mini-sewing kit in your bag for any cosplay wardrobe malfunctions. They also come in handy if someone else needs one! You can make friends that way

- Go through the guide to cover all rules, but also the different events going on. I missed quite a few events and panels I wanted to attend because I didn't read the guide closely enough.

- Bring something comfortable to change into. Sometimes bulky cosplays can get very uncomfortable by the end of the day. I stashed a pair of lounge pants in my car and I'm really glad I did!

Most importantly, have fun! Make friends, soak in the sights. To this day, ten years after my first con, I talk to a lot of the people that I met at the con. You never know what will happen!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information