AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Thread: What was your first programming language?

Threaded View

Meh Crusader Tarkenfire has a reputation beyond repute Tarkenfire has a reputation beyond repute Tarkenfire has a reputation beyond repute Tarkenfire has a reputation beyond repute Tarkenfire has a reputation beyond repute Tarkenfire has a reputation beyond repute Tarkenfire has a reputation beyond repute Tarkenfire has a reputation beyond repute Tarkenfire has a reputation beyond repute Tarkenfire has a reputation beyond repute Tarkenfire has a reputation beyond repute Tarkenfire's Avatar
    Gil
    Cynical
    Gifts Artemis Watermelon
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-29-2013 11:15 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Tarkenfire Steam ID: Tarkenfire

Default What was your first programming language?

Sorry if this thread was already made before; couldn't find one after an extensive (read: one) search.

So, this was topic that came up at work, where I use none of my programming skills at all, but the topic was on the first formally trained language. For one coworker, it was COBOL in the late eighties, for myself it was C# in the early 2000s.

That said, I felt that was too restrictive of a question, languages for which you received formal training with, so I want to expand the question to ask what the first language yalls ever made a serious investment into learning was. I personally don't care between compiled or interpreted, sequential or OOP; if you typed it and it made a computer do something, then it's programming to me.

So, to answer that for myself, Java was the first language I ever invested a serious amount of time into...which I then abandoned for 10 years for C#, and because my job wanted it for some satanic reason, VB. This was until the former became too niche and the latter was finally realized as the joke it is.

Thought of an obvious follow up question, what languages do yalls know to an extent that you would call yourself "proficient"? For me, it's a depressingly short list: C#, Java (only recently with going back to school), Obj C (>_>), VB.NET(<_< <_<), Python 2.x, Ruby, JS(it counts), ASP (>_>), Quick Basic(yes really).
    Last edited by Tarkenfire; 12-27-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Thread Information