AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Simulating the human brain

Senior Member nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-03-2017 11:20 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Simulating the human brain

So, about a week ago I came across this The Register article on initial attempts to simulate the human brain.

More impressive videos can be found on the front page of the home of the project:
    http://nengo.ca/

My questions to you: If the human brain could ever fully and accurately be simulated, would it be human? How accurate do you suppose the simulation would need to be for it to be considered human? Is it ethical to simulate the human brain?

While we are biological, I think if the functionality of the brain can be fully and accurately modeled, then even the simulation would be one of us (because it works almost exactly the same way).

I find it amusing that future strong AI could be accurate replicas of us. You would suspect that accurate and fast simulations of the human brain could solve all sorts of problems (current AI does not resemble us at all except for neural nets).

NOTE: Does this belong here or Computers & Technology? While it does relate to computers and technology, I think the question is non-technical and therefore belongs in Miscellaneous Miscellany.

Senior Member Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Cynical
    Gifts Dice D8
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-08-2013 11:26 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: someone1489

Default Re: Simulating the human brain

It would probably communicate like a human, and (at first) learn like a human, but neural nets will probably quickly surpass our intelligence (I imagine it would lack memory storage to beat us at the moment though). If we virtualized the brain to have exactly what a human had (a body), we have no reason to believe that it wouldn't try to act like a human (i.e. wonder where it's at, react to things, etc).

When faced with an existence so great, one becomes blind to everything and experiences only fear...

人は平等ではない。不平等は悪ではない。平等は悪だ。そう、人は差別されるためにある。だからこそ人は争い 、競い合い、そこに進歩が生まれる。 

Closed Thread

Thread Information