AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: English words, with full Japanese grammar kept, for use as a word list?

Junior Member narakushiro jitenshade is on a distinguished road narakushiro jitenshade's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-19-2013 02:38 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default English words, with full Japanese grammar kept, for use as a word list?

Some people try to memorize romaji lyrics without understanding the words, just to sing along. Others are beginner students of Japanese. Are those less than 1 % of the forum members, or more?

Imagine if there was a wordlist in a much smaller font size beside the romaji lyrics. A word list could be shaped as English words with Japanese word order and particles kept.

Would anybody appreciate a word list that looks like this:

I (wa) friend (no) younger-sister (o) love doing believe (ka) how (ka?). Troublesome (de&) happily (yo!).

Might it simplify memorizing lyrics? A glance at the word list and the romaji lyrics would instantly show the meaning of each Japanese word. Memorizing must by easier if the words are understood?

I see an interesting side effect: Members could master the Japanese particles years before they take their first Japanese lesson, just by repeatedly seeing them after English nouns. Grasping the particles is the key to the Japanese language, so that would quite a gift?

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    Amber184 is on a distinguished road Amber184's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-03-2013 07:01 PM
    Threads

Default Re: English words, with full Japanese grammar kept, for use as a word list?

You know, I've never thought of that at all... I've been doing my best to teach myself Japanese for about 3 years (2 of those years I wasn't able to really study study... so I pretty much only watched dramas and listened to music T_T )....

ANYHOW...
    I think that would be a really really good idea in helping people learn particles, as, in my experience, they are troublesome to learn.

Personally, I also found myself learning Japanese a lot quicker when I knew how to write the word.

So it might also be nicer to have a sort of beginner translation, where it's romaji and the translation. Then maybe 'Student' where you have the hiragana and maybe some simple kanji with furigana and a translation. Intermediate as any word that has a kanji is written with it, although it's still paired with furigana... and of course a translation. Finally, Advanced where there is kanji, no furigana, and a translation.

If this is going to be done, I would love to see people post results if it helped them.

Junior Member narakushiro jitenshade is on a distinguished road narakushiro jitenshade's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-19-2013 02:38 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Re: English words, with full Japanese grammar kept, for use as a word list?

I have tried to translate a dozen songs recently with varying success, as language exercise for myself.

The least difficult one to translate was Pantsu Nugeru Mon. I could write and post such a wordlist as above for Pantsu Nugeru Mon in this thread, if somebody would like to work with the song in this way?

The potential learning of particles is however much reduced by the fact that most particles are omitted in songs.

Pantsu o nugu, take off pants, becomes pantsu ga nugeru, can take of pants, potential verb form (if I remember correctly?).

“Watashi wa pantsu ga nugeru mono desu”, is the full sentence as in a Japanese text book, with particles WA and GA to practice. That is reduced to only Pantsu Nugeru Mon in the song.

Here is the karaoke version to use with such a wordlist: .

There is also an English sub version:
    (At 1.28 the dots on DO is clogged into the TO. That causes the uploader to misspell kedo as keto in her/his romaji).

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    Amber184 is on a distinguished road Amber184's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-03-2013 07:01 PM
    Threads

[QUOTE=narakushiro jitenshade;2772601]I have tried to translate a dozen songs recently with varying success, as language exercise for myself.

The least difficult one to translate was Pantsu Nugeru Mon. I could write and post such a wordlist as above for Pantsu Nugeru Mon in this thread, if somebody would like to work with the song in this way?

The potential learning of particles is however much reduced by the fact that most particles are omitted in songs.

Pantsu o nugu, take off pants, becomes pantsu ga nugeru, can take of pants, potential verb form (if I remember correctly?).

“Watashi wa pantsu ga nugeru mono desu”, is the full sentence as in a Japanese text book, with particles WA and GA to practice. That is reduced to only Pantsu Nugeru Mon in the song.

The one thing I like about songs though, is it shows you that you do not have to use a particle everytime it's required.
    When I first started learning Japanese I was like, "Does this word need a particle?" "Shouldn't a particle go here?"
    It started to confuse me, but when listening to songs I wouldn't hear as many particles and thought it was gibberish until I looked it up.
    The translations made perfect sense when I looked those up, even with the lack of particles.
    All it really comes down to is understanding what is going on and being talked (sung) about.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information