Quote Originally Posted by Annie Hall View Post
Um, the huge cost to society? oh please do elaborate.
Here's what the CDC has to say: 20% of all deaths in the US are directly caused my smoking. "More deaths are caused each year by tobacco use than by all deaths from human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), illegal drug use, alcohol use, motor vehicle injuries, suicides, and murders combined."

Besides the massive toll on the medical system, there's a large loss of productivity due to all this illness and death, which in turn lowers the GDP.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie Hall View Post
Also, the taxes on tobacco products are already insane compared to other goods. Why not over tax people who drive cars? or people who add garbage to the landfill? I mean hell, we want to tax everyone who makes the world a little less healthy, right? So let's tax junk foods and water bottles, and power lines, and red meats.

(No, I am not saying that cigarettes and junk foods are the same, but they are both very bad for your health.)
The purpose of skyrocketing the tax on tobacco is to make it so expensive it becomes hard to sustain a smoking habit (as opposed to outright banning it, which just leads to a black market as with illegal drugs).

It's harder to do the same for junk food, as it's pretty hard to actually define junk food.