AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Death Of Story Driven Games

Junior Member RogueOfAllTrades will become famous soon enough RogueOfAllTrades's Avatar
    Gil
    Chatty
    Gifts Eva Penpen
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-11-2013 09:26 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Prodigle

Lightbulb The Death Of Story Driven Games

Now i'm sure i'm not the only one, but i absolutely adored games where the story was everything. Games where the game play was the worst thing and just finishing that boss to get more story was the thing that got you hooked. Games like Persona 4, the character development in that game was perfect and every character was very unique and felt real a lot of the time. They had real people issues and you became apparent to that in a very realistic way. A few games for example are Ico (A PS1 classic) and Shadow Of The Colossus. Ico was a game where you were in a foreign castle and had to escape with someone you didn't speak the language of. Shadow of the Colossus was very similar in how there was little to no speech. The story was told through what you did and escaping this castle and turned out for both games to be extremely emotional because of this.

Now maybe i'm a little biast because i absolutely despise this generation in gaming. Big company's pumping out the same game remade every year or so and new games with every interesting and amazing ideas being completely under the radar to almost everyone. I have to say, I haven't played a game in the past 2 or so years that had a game all about story. It was either all about the game-play (mostly shooters) or based around online or something like that. I mean there are a few examples such as Assassin's Creed but i still don't count the story and characters in that game as great. Is it me or are the days of Story Games almost gone?

Senior Member Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Gifts Dodge Viper GTS Hyundai Coupe Yellow Ribbon
    Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-10-2017 10:46 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Bad_Prelude

Default Re: The Death Of Story Driven Games

Cool.

I'ma go kill some noobs around the Nurnburgring on Gran Turismo 5.
    Hmmm... Been a while
    Sit back some time and simply ask yourself, [Link]->"Do you even lift, bro?"<-[Link]

3. Likes RogueOfAllTrades liked this post
    Senior Member Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-27-2013 05:08 PM
    Threads

I loveed the story of Asura's Wrath. And Ninja Theory's games are great for story too. And Altus and Tri-Ace can deliver every now and then. I think the issue this generation is that there are less quality RPGs because they are taking longer to make. That and the fact that Square-Enix now sucks.

5. Likes Jozette liked this post
    Senior Member Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare's Avatar
    Gil
    Angry
    Gifts Purple Ribbon Gabumon Cylon Centurion
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-03-2017 08:07 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Dragon's Dogma had a good story imo. Also, I love the fact that certain story elements actually became gameplay elements one an individual and community level.

Red Dead Redemption also had a story that had me hooked.

AF's resident Crazy Cat Lady Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf's Avatar
    Starving
    Gifts Mario Bowser Shell Mario Bob-omb Mario Blue Shell
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-22-2014 12:38 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CaptainEllipsis Steam ID: CaptainEllipsis Wii Code: 2388 1485 3012 2739

inb4aren'timportant

Not every game needs to rely on the story to be great you know. Or even decent really. There's a lot of mechanics to making a game good, and story/plot is just one of them. Games like Shadow of the Colossus and ICO are one of a kind games; Should any other company try to copy it, they'd probably be called cheap/rip-offs/unoriginal/etc. While I do enjoy a good plot, half of the time I'm not thinking about it. Yeah, it's nice to look back on, and it's nice to have a reason to do whatever I'm doing, but pretty much everyone will be focused on gameplay, since they will be playing the game. If the gameplay sucks, who cares about the story, they won't play long enough to see how it turns out.

Imo, I think this generation has found a good mix of stuff. Take Creed or Skyward Sword for example. Great story, fun to play, looks nice, and has replayability. Asura's Wrath(lolgameplay)...And Skyrim too...and Other M (shut up fanboys). I refuse to include CoD though, because of my inner fanboy and my pride. Anyway, before I start sounding like a jerk, there are a lot of games that have good stories/plots from this generation. Excluding fighters, and racers of course.

Also, I'll add that Shadow of the Colossus was/is overrated. Great, unique, but it's kinda up there in that Ocarina of Time "mansion" as well. So yes, I am a hater .

Member ✞GrimStride✞ is on a distinguished road ✞GrimStride✞'s Avatar
    Cynical
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-18-2012 05:17 AM
    Threads

It sounds to me like the OP would be better off reading a book rather than playing video games

I totally agree with what the poster above said . The story is just one element of the game . Being "involved" is essentially what gaming is all about . Feeling like you are part of the action. Of course the story is very important but i don't think we should diss gameplay .

9. Likes Bulf, Kaleohano liked this post
    Junior Member RogueOfAllTrades will become famous soon enough RogueOfAllTrades's Avatar
    Gil
    Chatty
    Gifts Eva Penpen
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-11-2013 09:26 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Prodigle

In reply to you Grim, i do enjoy reading a lot! But let me throw something out here. Take the Mass Effects, a game series most people have played. What is more emotional, immersible etc, reading about the characters story or being the character. It's hard to pull it off but if a game company can, living as the character and being able to output your feelings as the character would (multiple choices) very much adds to the emotional and immersible all round experience.

Senior Member Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-27-2013 05:08 PM
    Threads

I think RPGs are the only games that really need to focus on story, but even if they don't, I'll still love it if it was fun to play. I've found out lately tho that visual novels are a better way of getting a good story, and they give you choices every now and then to shift the story.

Member ✞GrimStride✞ is on a distinguished road ✞GrimStride✞'s Avatar
    Cynical
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-18-2012 05:17 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by RogueOfAllTrades View Post
    . What is more emotional, immersible etc, reading about the characters story or being the character. It's hard to pull it off but if a game company can, living as the character and being able to output your feelings as the character would (multiple choices) very much adds to the emotional and immersible all round experience.

Your point is as elusive as Waldo . Maybe it's just me , but i think that your post is lacking in the coherence department

I'll elaborate on my earlier statement so that we're all clear. First of all you're talking about RPGs . Shooters and online games aren't valid examples of games with poor or non existent stories because they aren't meant to have them.It's like comparing "Pong" to the titles you endorsed . (im referring to your first post)

Now , you're talking about "being" the character and immersing yourself in the game world . Don't titles like Skyrim (favorite rpg of all time) or any Bioware game fit your criteria ? Because i don't think games get any more immersive than those . You get to make decisions which have consequences , you interact with the environment and not to mention the absolutely insane character customization options in the former example .

Your olden games are mostly blocks of text and players are restricted in their actions compared to newer titles. Thats why this part baffles me on several levels.
    What is more emotional, immersible etc, reading about the characters story or being the character[/B]
    The only conclusion i can make is that either you actually are saying that "reading" a game is better than "playing" it or you haven't actually played RPG games and this whole topic is absolutely pointless.

Junior Member Zayber is on a distinguished road Zayber's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-24-2012 07:16 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Ayu 「あゆ」 View Post
    I think RPGs are the only games that really need to focus on story, but even if they don't, I'll still love it if it was fun to play. I've found out lately tho that visual novels are a better way of getting a good story, and they give you choices every now and then to shift the story.
    I agree most with this. I play Battlefield for the fun multiplayer online, but I also enjoy games with good story like Final Fantasy and other RPG games like Fire Emblem and Golden sun. It isn't that games aren't getting story anymore, it's just with new consoles other games can be more fun because of online multiplayer so we are seeing more of those games now than we used to. Sadly, I don't have a PS3 yet, so over half the games I want I can't play. Darn you Xbox, being less into JRPGs D:

Senior Member Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Gifts M1911 Battleship Favorite
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-03-2013 07:31 AM
    Threads

Story driven games are always pumped out, but they're often really bad and stupid to the point where even a five year old can make a better one.
    Call of Duty have no real story except heavy racism and "AMURRICA FUG YEHHHH DDD", which most shooters nowadays follow.
    They won't stop with stories, but it's getting a bit dry because everyone wants cawadoodey or more FF, and they don't want to try out new things.
    If you want games that focuses on story, look for them, there are atleast a few hundreds of thousands of different games with great stories that you can find.
    Or you can go full weeb mode, learn japanese and bath in JRPGs every day.
    Heeey!

Senior Member .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2020 04:24 PM
    Threads

Have you thought of trying visual novels?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information