AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beach near my home town

Senior Member T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew's Avatar
    Gil
    Pensive
    Gifts Sushi2
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-15-2013 08:33 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Beach near my home town

A couple weeks back I visited family in northern NY. Made a few trips out to some of the various beaches in the area, on Lake Ontario. These are not like public beaches, they are owned by the state but more like wildlife refuge than a regularly maintained beach. The first one up has a nice mile or so walk out to the beach, mostly on a boardwalk, over Black pond and through the sand dunes. This one can get a bit crowded during peak times. The other one has no way of reaching by land, but accessible only by water either from the lake or two rivers / pond that empty out to the lake in the middle of the beach. Click for larger images:

A view from the boardwalk which passes through the dunes and over a big pond.

And the beach... not too crowded on a weekday.

We didnt get to stay too long, as with many of our beach adventures on lake Ontario, a storm was rolling on in.

At least I got some good pics of the storm. I love the contrast between the dark clouds coming in and the bright white cloud and blue sky still on the left.

Yeah we got drenched on the way out. One disadvantage of that mile long hike out.

And now the next beach which we had to take the 'yaks and canoe to get to:

The white lilies were in bloom as we paddled through Colwell's Pond.

One of the dunes that separate the lake from the ponds. The beach is right on the other side, but its a ways yet to get to the channel that passes through.

And here the channel through the beach is. A little crowded right here.

Land ho! We paddled out into the lake and down the shore a little ways. Out here we have a good hundred yards or more of beach to ourselves.

And the rest of the group.

Nice sand and lots of neat driftwood.

I'd love to get some nice bird 'on the wing' shots, but don't really go birding enough. Seagulls are pretty easy though, just not really that interesting of a bird.

Not really sure what these birds are that were swimming across us in the lake. Look similar to the gulls around here but I've never seen any with a solid black head before.

Well that's it for the beach. There was one other spot nearby we stopped at, Monitor Mills, the water was lower than I have ever seen it but I still snapped a quick pic:

In the spring the water is crashing down all the way across those ledges from edge to edge.
    ~ Tristan

2. Likes Natsushi, Princess Cupcake liked this post
    ♡ Your Royal Sprinkles ♡ Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake's Avatar
    Gil
    Psychadelic
    Gifts Cheshire Cat Kawaiislice Cake
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2012 09:54 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Beach near my home town

Wow! Awesome photos, T-Stew. I'm loving the lilies. Think it's my favorite of this bunch. I also dig that seagull and the spring. Very serene. You got some good shots here.

{ [Etsy Shop.] [Poetry.] [Art Thread.] }
    Set By
    Seung-Li <3

4. Thanks T-Stew thanked for this post
    Senior Member T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew's Avatar
    Gil
    Pensive
    Gifts Sushi2
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Why thank you! Yes I really like the shot of the lilies too, it didnt turn out as well as I hoped I was trying to get closer so it would have been larger in the foreground but I could only get so close with the canoe and could only reach down and out so far... didn't feel like taking a swim especially with the expensive camera in hand! Also wish the sky was better on that trip but it was just super hazy that day.

The last shot I was going to but I guess I forgot to elaborate... It was the site of an old mill. Upstream another 50 yards is a small dam. I don't believe anything is left of the mill though, other than the dam. I love the rivers and streams up there compared to here in Ohio. Here it seems they are mostly all dirt and mud bottomed mucky. Up there they are usually just like that picture, nothing but bedrock side to side.

Oh and I was going to say for the photography enthusiasts out there the first set (starting with the boardwalk) and the last picture of Monitor Mills were all taken with my fully manual Pro-Optic 14mm which I am still learning how to use. The second set, starting with the lilies, was shot with a Canon 24-105L. And all on my 60D.
    Last edited by T-Stew; 08-13-2012 at 12:54 PM.
    ~ Tristan

Member Natsushi has a reputation beyond repute Natsushi has a reputation beyond repute Natsushi has a reputation beyond repute Natsushi has a reputation beyond repute Natsushi has a reputation beyond repute Natsushi has a reputation beyond repute Natsushi has a reputation beyond repute Natsushi has a reputation beyond repute Natsushi has a reputation beyond repute Natsushi has a reputation beyond repute Natsushi has a reputation beyond repute Natsushi's Avatar
    Gil
    Nerdy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-04-2012 07:43 AM
    Threads

The pictures are awesome!! I really like the quality and what contents are in the picture. I mean, so refreshing!
    Hope you had a cool day down there!

7. Thanks T-Stew thanked for this post
    Gil
    Pensive
    Gifts Sushi2
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I just viewed my pictures from here at work on a really nice screen and I dont know if its the screen here but some of the pictures looks like I over saturated the colors in them. If it looks that way then I appologize, I probably shouldnt be editing them on my old laptop with a crappy bland screen. I'm not going to go back and re-edit them though.
    ~ Tristan

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information