AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kaleohanos Wallpapers

Senior Member Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Gifts Dodge Viper GTS Hyundai Coupe Yellow Ribbon
    Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-10-2017 10:46 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Bad_Prelude

Default Kaleohanos Wallpapers

This is the first wallpaper i've ever made since i got PS only 2 days ago and i'm entering it into this months contest.
    Advice and criticism are welcomed

Last edited by Kaleohano; 08-05-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    Hmmm... Been a while
    Sit back some time and simply ask yourself, [Link]->"Do you even lift, bro?"<-[Link]

Moderator Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Be Mine Alfa Romeo Spider JTS Mario Blue Shell
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-12-2017 03:31 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Default Re: Kaleohanos Wallpapers

The obvious advice would be to practice more. No matter who you are, practice is always something that you can do.

Specifically to that wallpaper, you really need to get a good theme going for it. I assume that this is that guy from Spice and Wolf yes? What does unreadable Japanese looking text, a fiery background and graffiti have to do with him? Its important to cultivate idea driving the wallpaper itself, which you lack.

Other minor issues are that fact you arent using a very good stock image, the text is too crisp, there are quality issues in the graffiti effect and angled bars on the top and bottom. Also, the wallpaper has a balance issue, in that its all about the same basic tone and style, so some of my desktop items are getting lost. Here's what your wallpaper looks like on my computer:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	706.6 KB
ID:	65902

Notice that some my file in center of the image are kind of unnoticeable. From the thumbnail, it looks better as a signature, perhaps you should try more of those and get some basic ground work of Space, Blending, the 3 Grounds, and Flow.

Remember, be patient, you wont get it right all the time.

Senior Member Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

@Serated
    Practice is pretty obvious lol
    And i see what you mean by your desktop items getting lost in it. I've been working with Macs for a while now, and they tend to be much more forgiving in that respect as you can see here

It'll be good practice to make them look better with a PC desktop screen. I'll definitely do that.

However, there is one argument i have. Its in regards to it not having a theme. Because it very much does. It doesn't help that the front i used for the writing is very difficult to read, but thats an easy fix.
    The writing says "You Crossed The Line!"
    Now, the theme behind my wallpaper is this.
    Lawrence is very well known as a calm and collected character who never lets his temper get the better of him. There are some very rare instances though (usually in regards to something happening to Holo) where he does snap. I wanted to illustrate that moment when someone pushes Lawrence too far. When they "Cross The Line." I figured the fire and graffiti being very confusing, almost aggravating to look at would bring that moment a little more to life.

I am proud to say that i did actually put a little thought into it. Sometimes thinking doesn't work out too well though. Thats why i joined the military haha

so, knowing that, do you have any other thoughts or do you still feel the same way? lol
    Hmmm... Been a while
    Sit back some time and simply ask yourself, [Link]->"Do you even lift, bro?"<-[Link]

AFs Cutest Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-22-2019 09:35 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleohano View Post
    @Serated
    Practice is pretty obvious lol
    And i see what you mean by your desktop items getting lost in it. I've been working with Macs for a while now, and they tend to be much more forgiving in that respect as you can see here

It'll be good practice to make them look better with a PC desktop screen. I'll definitely do that.

However, there is one argument i have. Its in regards to it not having a theme. Because it very much does. It doesn't help that the front i used for the writing is very difficult to read, but thats an easy fix.
    The writing says "You Crossed The Line!"
    Now, the theme behind my wallpaper is this.
    Lawrence is very well known as a calm and collected character who never lets his temper get the better of him. There are some very rare instances though (usually in regards to something happening to Holo) where he does snap. I wanted to illustrate that moment when someone pushes Lawrence too far. When they "Cross The Line." I figured the fire and graffiti being very confusing, almost aggravating to look at would bring that moment a little more to life.

I am proud to say that i did actually put a little thought into it. Sometimes thinking doesn't work out too well though. Thats why i joined the military haha

so, knowing that, do you have any other thoughts or do you still feel the same way? lol
    No folders? you goto the finder every time O_O I think it's good
    hella

Gil
    Cheeky
    Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by GrellxJozette View Post
    No folders? you goto the finder every time O_O I think it's good
    the few times that i need to look up a document, i can look it up through the finder. People always seem to think they need to make shortcuts on their desktops. They use those shortcuts once or twice and then never again. Then it just turns into annoying clutter that you accidentally click on. So no, i don't save anything to my Desktop. and when i do, it gets deleted almost immediately.

And thank you
    Hmmm... Been a while

6. Likes Jozette liked this post
    Senior Member PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Crisis Mooncompact Mario 1-Up Mushroom Katana
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-23-2014 01:36 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

It looks cool, but I wouldn't use it as a wallpaper. There's too much going on. It'd make a good signature though.

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

the few times that i need to look up a document, i can look it up through the finder. People always seem to think they need to make shortcuts on their desktops. They use those shortcuts once or twice and then never again. Then it just turns into annoying clutter that you accidentally click on. So no, i don't save anything to my Desktop. and when i do, it gets deleted almost immediately.
    I'm just throwing this out here because it needs to be said. You need to consider peoples folders when making a wallpaper no matter who you are. If you're making a wallpaper you are making them typically for other people. (Otherwise you wouldn't upload them here right) So wallpaper making isn't about YOU and YOUR folders (or lack thereof), it's about other people and the folders they might have. It's VERY VERY VERY important to consider what folders they may have while creating a wallpaper. You may not have any, but most people do. I don't care if you have to create fake folders when testing out your wallpaper to just delete them shortly after. Always consider others desktops, not your own.

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Gil
    Cheeky
    Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by blueangel06661 View Post
    I'm just throwing this out here because it needs to be said. You need to consider peoples folders when making a wallpaper no matter who you are. If you're making a wallpaper you are making them typically for other people. (Otherwise you wouldn't upload them here right) So wallpaper making isn't about YOU and YOUR folders (or lack thereof), it's about other people and the folders they might have. It's VERY VERY VERY important to consider what folders they may have while creating a wallpaper. You may not have any, but most people do. I don't care if you have to create fake folders when testing out your wallpaper to just delete them shortly after. Always consider others desktops, not your own.
    This would be true, if i was creating my wallpapers only to be used by others. But i don't. I create wallpapers for myself above all else. I only upload them for the few who might want to use them as well. If you can't use it because YOUR desktop has too much stuff on it, then boo-hoo, clean it up.
    What can i say? Staying organized has its advantages.
    I will not complain about most people not wanting (or being able) to use my wallpaper, and i certainly will not change something i made mainly for myself, for the sake of others. That would just be plain ridiculous.
    However, should someone ask me to make a wallpaper for them, if i were to accept such a request, I would very much consider what that persons desktop looks like. And i would make the wallpaper accordingly.

Fair enough?
    Hmmm... Been a while

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2021 05:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

If you make it for yourself then keep it to yourself. Uploading things to AW is for mass use, if it cant be used for the masses, not just you and a handful of other mac users, then theres really no need to accept the wall in the gallery.

When working in the real world, you cant design for yourself. You need to design something thats useful, functional, and something that you can be proud of. Sure, you may be proud of this, but its not functional for people like Serated and myself who have *important* folders around our desktops. *We* shouldnt have to change folder locations to accommodate your wall, especially for a contest piece.

As for the piece itself, I see a texture used, black tribal-graffiti that was extracted poorly [while can still be seen in it], bars of colors and the stock with some hard-to-read text. I understand this is your first wall, but those of us who've made several walls could recreate this in a matter of minutes. The wall is also unbelievably bright red, which becomes a straing on the eyes after a few minutes, especially couples with bright yellow. When working with that large amounts of red its best to go with a softer shade of red, something deep like a crimson.

The graffiti is also distracting. If the giant blocks of red werent back, now theres this giant piece of black in the middle. Your stalk *should* be what you notice first in a wall, which then leads the eye off to all the other little elements in the wall, it shouldnt be the third thing you notice.

That being said, its a lot better than my first attempt at a wall way back when, so keep up the practice

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    (:| |: )
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

11. Likes Miss Moonlight liked this post
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by MaruDashi View Post
    If you make it for yourself then keep it to yourself. Uploading things to AW is for mass use, if it cant be used for the masses, not just you and a handful of other mac users, then theres really no need to accept the wall in the gallery.

When working in the real world, you cant design for yourself. You need to design something thats useful, functional, and something that you can be proud of. Sure, you may be proud of this, but its not functional for people like Serated and myself who have *important* folders around our desktops. *We* shouldnt have to change folder locations to accommodate your wall, especially for a contest piece.

As for the piece itself, I see a texture used, black tribal-graffiti that was extracted poorly [while can still be seen in it], bars of colors and the stock with some hard-to-read text. I understand this is your first wall, but those of us who've made several walls could recreate this in a matter of minutes. The wall is also unbelievably bright red, which becomes a straing on the eyes after a few minutes, especially couples with bright yellow. When working with that large amounts of red its best to go with a softer shade of red, something deep like a crimson.

The graffiti is also distracting. If the giant blocks of red werent back, now theres this giant piece of black in the middle. Your stalk *should* be what you notice first in a wall, which then leads the eye off to all the other little elements in the wall, it shouldnt be the third thing you notice.

That being said, its a lot better than my first attempt at a wall way back when, so keep up the practice

idk why you guys are still on this one anyways. This one (my 3rd) is more up do date and actually worth critiquing you really feel the need to judge the stuff i do in my free time when i literally have nothing better to do.

I did the first and second without even knowing how to change blending options. There truly is no point is talking about them.
    Hmmm... Been a while

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

idk why you guys are still on this one anyways. This one (my 3rd) is more up do date and actually worth critiquing you really feel the need to judge the stuff i do in my free time when i literally have nothing better to do.

I did the first and second without even knowing how to change blending options. There truly is no point is talking about them.
    Because its something that, as an artist, you need to consider, thats all. And theres no judging, you asked for critique, youre getting critique. Sorry if you were expecting "omg, this is so awesome" fluff

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

Gil
    Cheeky
    Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by MaruDashi View Post
    Because its something that, as an artist, you need to consider, thats all. And theres no judging, you asked for critique, youre getting critique. Sorry if you were expecting "omg, this is so awesome" fluff
    Yes, but critiquing something that is old and does not represent my skills at the level they're currently at doesn't really help either. or do you disagree?

Like you said, your fist one wasn't any better. Your skills now are not what they were then. So what would the relevance be if someone were to critique it?

all i'm saying is that i have new stuff that reflects what i can do much better and is therefore more appropriate to be criticized. The 3rd one just happens to be my favorite.
    Last edited by Kaleohano; 09-11-2012 at 02:01 PM.
    Hmmm... Been a while

Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Yes, but critiquing something that is old and does not represent my skills at the level they're currently at doesn't really help either. or do you disagree?

Like you said, your fist one wasn't any better. Your skills now are not what they were then. So what would the relevance be if someone were to critique it?
    This showed up in the 'whats new', so obviously I went in and looked. Sooooooo sorry. And yes, I disagree. You can always learn from old work. As for my old work, youd have to go back about 5 years, so yeah, a critique would be moot. This is only a month-old wall, so while your skills have improved, is hasnt by leaps and bounds, thus critiques are still applicable.

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||