My heart for long cries
For my son’s death in my heart grew
His emotions fumbling to a stew
Being cooked as by a navy crew
Making me grow has from new
My heart for long cries
Between fear and lies
My worries trying not to rise
But it’s impossible: my heart dies!
So I have to put the dots on the “i”s
I’ll call him again, that’s what I’ll do!
“Hey there, it’s me!”
«Me who…? Oh, of course it you, mom…»
“Son! You answered!”
“What have you done, what have you?”
“I mean, what’s happening?!”
“I never saw you as bad as this!”
«Mom, you’re not even watching me!»
«I’m in Russia all by myself»
«Like Legolas, the errant elf»
«Always marching for battle»
«… Are you there mom?»
“You’re weaker day-by-day”
“That surgery you cannot delay!”
“Unless you want my heart to turn gray!”
Oh, and my heart cries
It cries and it bleeds
That pain it greets
“Alone, here I am!”
“‘Cause your father left me”
And your sister Pam
With her recent divorce
My heart’s entry trying to force
No, rather trying to ram!
“Son: I cannot take this”
“No, not anymore”
I’m alone and I’m weak
“Why did you just had to leave?!”
“Oh, my, you’ll always be my kid!”
“You’re not tall or stronger, just mid”
“Damn, what else must I do?!”
“If you not listen me I
His long disease from me he hid
That damn lung cancer in him flourishing
While myself was still haunting
Desperately trying to overcome
All those problems, yeah, that’s the thing!
“Son, come back home, please!”
“I beg you on my knees”
“You’re not a kid anymore”
“Come on, I won’t make you eat all the pees”
(sorry mods I double posted ‘cause I really have a lot to write and I also made short paragraphs for easy-reading, hope you don’t mind)
First of all I must say this poem is not finished at all, so that’s why I’ll add some information. This poem has only 2 characters (tough other two are mentioned ahead) and this is the profile/personality I made up for them (I may found the need to lengthen it):
- Maria Butcher (main character): 48 yo- (viúva em ingles) woman with 2 sons, the youngest a man with 25 and the oldest with 26, a woman. Maria lives on Kansas City, alone but only for a dog.
- Thomas Butcher: Maria’s son, formed in law school less than a year before and living away from her mother, over 1000 km away, in East Russia
Plot/story (whatever you wanna call it)
- Maria is living alone for about a year as, when Thomas finished law school her sister Helena had already left for marrying (tough the marriage only lasted for 7-8 months) and his man had past away almost year and a half before.
- She is in great pain as she’s alone, his husband’s death is still fresh on is memory and only like a year after she “loses” both her sons almost one right after the one.
- Maria is depressed and she calls her son constantly/compulsively, 5-6 times a day while he only gets 2 or 3 a week saying he’s at work almost all the time.
- However, she despises Russia and only 25% of her sayings are actually right (and she thinks she’s 100% right!), so the fact she thinks her son is not actually working but instead just being lazy at home and drinking Vodka to forget his own problems as he never got a girlfriend, may not worth too much.
So I have to admit this is half poem half story but tough the plot and the two character’s life’s backgrounds are kinda complex the rhymes – almost 100% present in the beginning but getting less as the plot becomes to extend itself more – make it pretty clear that this is indeed poetry.
Plus, not that it’s very important in this 1st part, here are two notes that’ll help you to understand it better:
1) ALL verses that go either without “” or «» are the mother’s thoughts
2) Between “” are the mom’s dialogues
That’s "only" that for now! (but I have a 500-600 words’ explanation to post asap for your better understanding on this thread’s “functioning”)