AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ghost in the Shell: Viewing Order

BuLmA's Guardian Angel Kagemaru-San has a reputation beyond repute Kagemaru-San has a reputation beyond repute Kagemaru-San has a reputation beyond repute Kagemaru-San has a reputation beyond repute Kagemaru-San has a reputation beyond repute Kagemaru-San has a reputation beyond repute Kagemaru-San has a reputation beyond repute Kagemaru-San has a reputation beyond repute Kagemaru-San has a reputation beyond repute Kagemaru-San has a reputation beyond repute Kagemaru-San has a reputation beyond repute Kagemaru-San's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-28-2010 02:41 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Thumbs up Ghost in the Shell: Viewing Order

Hello AF,

as per usual, I need you help with the viewing order of another anime classic...I'm starting with the original Ghost in the Shell movie in a few minutes....but i'm having doubts as to where to go from there...sounds to me like it's something like this:
    1. Ghost in the Shell (Movie)
    2. GitS: Innocence
    3. GitS: Stand Alone Complex
    4. GitS: Stand Alone Complex (2nd Gig)
    5. Gits: S.A.C Stand Solid State Society

I'd appreciate your help...I'm very excited about watching it
    "I don't want to live just because I was born"
    Griffith (Berserk)
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Last Anime Finished: Bakemonogatari (well...still need to watch the Tsubasa part...can't get the final 3 episodes ...)
    Now Watching: Ghost in the Shell

Member Rams has a reputation beyond repute Rams has a reputation beyond repute Rams has a reputation beyond repute Rams has a reputation beyond repute Rams has a reputation beyond repute Rams has a reputation beyond repute Rams has a reputation beyond repute Rams has a reputation beyond repute Rams has a reputation beyond repute Rams has a reputation beyond repute Rams has a reputation beyond repute Rams's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-01-2010 07:32 PM
    Threads

I'm pretty sure the first movie is unrelated to any of the other Ghost in the Shell stories~ I haven't seen Innocence, so it could be related to that, but I'm positive it's not related to Stand Alone Complex.

Also, if you read the manga, it kinda picks up where the second season of Stand Alone Complex ended. Not so much story-wise as the manga starts with the team drinking while sakura viewing, which is where the series left off, if I remember correctly. It's more symbolic than it is literal though. The manga is wildly different from the movies or series.

Signature by Hakuchuumu!

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

As far as GitS goes, there's 3 things that are seperate. First, the original manga is nothing like any of the animated movies or series. It's more action and comedy focused, unlike the rest.

The original GitS movie was a very, very much a look at the sci-fi aspects of it all, and the futuristic feel. Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence was a sequel to this, though it also incorporated some of the elements of the SAC series.

After that, the remaining GitS series and movies are related, and follow a more secret-agent feel, along with containing a heavy focus on philosophy and psychology.
    These go in order of:
    Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
    Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd GiG
    Ghost in the Shell: SAC Solid State Society.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2014 03:53 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemaru-San View Post
    Hello AF,

as per usual, I need you help with the viewing order of another anime classic...I'm starting with the original Ghost in the Shell movie in a few minutes....but i'm having doubts as to where to go from there...sounds to me like it's something like this:
    1. Ghost in the Shell (Movie)
    2. GitS: Innocence
    3. GitS: Stand Alone Complex
    4. GitS: Stand Alone Complex (2nd Gig)
    5. Gits: S.A.C Stand Solid State Society

I'd appreciate your help...I'm very excited about watching it
    Well, the first two movies are based on the storyline of the manga while SAC, 2nd GIG and SAC Solid State Society take place (in that order) in an alternate universe (well, continuity might be a slightly better word) from the movies.

To put it simply, you already gave the appropriate order (funny how that works out).
    Last edited by wolfgirl90; 03-27-2010 at 11:40 PM.
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

BuLmA's Guardian Angel Kagemaru-San has a reputation beyond repute Kagemaru-San has a reputation beyond repute Kagemaru-San has a reputation beyond repute Kagemaru-San has a reputation beyond repute Kagemaru-San has a reputation beyond repute Kagemaru-San has a reputation beyond repute Kagemaru-San has a reputation beyond repute Kagemaru-San has a reputation beyond repute Kagemaru-San has a reputation beyond repute Kagemaru-San has a reputation beyond repute Kagemaru-San has a reputation beyond repute Kagemaru-San's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-28-2010 02:41 PM
    Threads

Thanks for the help...AF never disappoints

I watched the first GitS movie...liked it quite a bit though I expected it to be deeper than that...but it certainly lived up to the hype...

And...
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgirl90 View Post
    To put it simply, you already gave the appropriate order (funny how that works out).
    you really didn't have to rub it in
    "I don't want to live just because I was born"
    Griffith (Berserk)
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Last Anime Finished: Bakemonogatari (well...still need to watch the Tsubasa part...can't get the final 3 episodes ...)
    Now Watching: Ghost in the Shell

Member TheWired is on a distinguished road TheWired's Avatar
    Gil
    Hacker
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2015 07:04 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ghost in the Shell: Viewing Order

I find SAC to quite taxing on the brain. Keep in mind I only watch anime with Japanese audio & English subs, and so with the slightly complex plots, LOTS of dialog scenes, it has taken some work for me to get through this series.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Ghost in the Shell movies though.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone else feels the way I do. The animation is beautiful, and so is the music. I also don't care for the silly blue spider bots. In the original GITS movie, there was a HUGE, menacing spider-tank... now we have these childish, humanized comic relief talking blue spider machines... I don't care for them.

Junior Member Wolf222 is on a distinguished road Wolf222's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2015 05:27 AM
    Threads

Thanks for sharing .......nice view.

Member TheWired is on a distinguished road TheWired's Avatar
    Gil
    Hacker
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2015 07:04 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf222 View Post
    Thanks for sharing .......nice view.
    Wow, three years later? Lol. Sure, you're welcome.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information