AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Converting a Normal

Senior Member Kona Chan has a reputation beyond repute Kona Chan has a reputation beyond repute Kona Chan has a reputation beyond repute Kona Chan has a reputation beyond repute Kona Chan has a reputation beyond repute Kona Chan has a reputation beyond repute Kona Chan has a reputation beyond repute Kona Chan has a reputation beyond repute Kona Chan has a reputation beyond repute Kona Chan has a reputation beyond repute Kona Chan has a reputation beyond repute Kona Chan's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Cake Lie Glasses Red Haruhi Sos Dan
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-29-2012 06:54 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Re: Converting a Normal

I think that even with a greater knowledge about anime we can't expect from them too much. Because even if they understand this beautiful world, why it make us to smile, laugh, cry,... We can't expect more than be consider like a movie fan living in an unreal world. Of course for normal people, fiction cannot be better than reality...
    So even if they understand more our world we cannot avoid all the bad comments...
    Two exemples:
    why did you consider light yagami as a god and don't believe in god in real life?
    why are you in love with nagisa furukawa in a visual novel and say no to julie who want to go out with you irl?

I'm sure you can find some exemples yourself in your own life

2. Thanks Mugiwara-no-Basuke thanked for this post
    Likes The Ace RailGun, Jozette liked this post
    Back To Business ~> Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts One Piece Flag Soul Eater Shinigami-sama Naruto Sharingan
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-26-2012 02:33 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphin View Post
    I think that even with a greater knowledge about anime we can't expect from them too much. Because even if they understand this beautiful world, why it make us to smile, laugh, cry,... We can't expect more than be consider like a movie fan living in an unreal world. Of course for normal people, fiction cannot be better than reality...
    So even if they understand more our world we cannot avoid all the bad comments...
    Two exemples:
    why did you consider light yagami as a god and don't believe in god in real life?
    why are you in love with nagisa furukawa in a visual novel and say no to julie who want to go out with you irl?

I'm sure you can find some exemples yourself in your own life
    You sure have a point
    And I learned almost not to have any expectations at all

"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough."
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
    "Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    "I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details."
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge."

Senior Member Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-27-2013 05:08 PM
    Threads

I used to just be into Sailor Moon, DBZ, Final Fantasy, and, to an extent, Yu Yu Hakusho. I didn't care about the other anime as they were usually too bloody, perverted, and corny for me to care. But then my friend got me into it and I realized just how great and interesting Japanese storytelling is. Not only that, anime is usually VERY pretty to look at. And now I'm even reading a manga that came with a DVD I bought. Weird thing is that manga reads from right to left. It really seems that America is backwards to every one else in the world lol.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

It's not easy but worth it when you do it

Last edited by Clayton_n; 05-15-2018 at 07:19 PM.

Senior Member The Ace RailGun has a brilliant future The Ace RailGun has a brilliant future The Ace RailGun has a brilliant future The Ace RailGun has a brilliant future The Ace RailGun has a brilliant future The Ace RailGun has a brilliant future The Ace RailGun has a brilliant future The Ace RailGun has a brilliant future The Ace RailGun has a brilliant future The Ace RailGun has a brilliant future The Ace RailGun has a brilliant future The Ace RailGun's Avatar
    Gil
    Cynical
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-20-2013 05:09 PM
    I'm either in a book or I fell through the Looking Glass...
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Tahmira Steam ID: Tahmira

I've been trying to get my parents to watch some the hundreds of shows I've seen I'm also currently trying to get some of my friends hooked on anime just so I could have some one in town who I can chat with about anime. Then I also have my aunt and a really close friend of mine who both got me hooked on anime. Yet none of them are as much of an otaku as I am unfortunately. Also I always get wierd stares (from "normal" friends) or jaw drops (from teachers) when I tell them I've seen over 200 different tv shows and that over a hundred and fifty of them were Japanese when most people have only seen about 10 or 20.
    Last edited by The Ace RailGun; 07-21-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Sig Made by my self
    ~Sure you can mess with a bull just don't start bawling when you get the horns~

HugeBeetzstudio Members:
    AnimeTrek~Founder~Leader~On YouTube~Group AMV Editor
    Maximbeet~Co-Founder~On YouTube~Group AMV Editor
    SIZARY-MOMO
    OmegaOmotron

Senior Member Maki the contractor has a reputation beyond repute Maki the contractor has a reputation beyond repute Maki the contractor has a reputation beyond repute Maki the contractor has a reputation beyond repute Maki the contractor has a reputation beyond repute Maki the contractor has a reputation beyond repute Maki the contractor has a reputation beyond repute Maki the contractor has a reputation beyond repute Maki the contractor has a reputation beyond repute Maki the contractor has a reputation beyond repute Maki the contractor has a reputation beyond repute Maki the contractor's Avatar
    Gil
    Worried
    Gifts Popsicle Cookie Ramen
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-25-2015 09:16 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Well me being an otaku my self I have to say it is very hard to convert a normal person into an otaku! Normal people just won't listen to reason. They will give you a long list of reasons they won't watch anime and the most common one I heard is anime is for nerds. Those words hurt my ears if they just try it they will find out it's pretty cool
    "I would destroy this city or anything else she asked"

Maki the Contractor

Junior Member Gantza is on a distinguished road Gantza's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-09-2012 07:50 PM
    Threads

no i havnt converted anyone into that, but i m slowing turning into that myself....
    Watching Anime with Real Time Commenting at Anime Front!

Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    569 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-30-2016 01:28 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Tie em up to a chair and make em watch classics. Or comedy.

☆*:.。. UGUU .。.:*☆ nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL's Avatar
    Gil
    Yeehaw
    Gifts Chibi Crisis Moon Compact 039 - Jigglypuff Neko Tv
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-14-2013 01:50 PM
    Threads

You think you are not normal because you're otaku?

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Ask anyone you know who does not watch anime that question.

Last edited by Clayton_n; 02-07-2015 at 04:11 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

How many people have you converted or tried to?

21 Warning Signs That You’re An Otaku:
    1. If you’ve ever had an anime night that’s lasted more than 2 hours
    This means you’ve watched more than about four anime episodes…in one sitting.

If you’ve watched more than this, with no break…I suspect it may already be too late for you.

2. If you named your son or daughter after your favorite video game character
    “Hi, I’d like you to meet my daughter, Robeast!”

3. If you own a giant robot that can only be controlled from a command center inside its head or chest
    A la Voltron, the Power Rangers, Evangelion, etc.

4. If you live in Japan and voluntarily go to Akihabara (Electric Town) more than once a week.
    Yep, even if you’re going just to pick up parts for you computer (every week?) that still counts. It probably counts even more if you’re out there building computers on a regular basis, Bill Gates.

5.If you’ve paid more than $100 for a Halloweeen costume or cosplay
    I think paying more than one-hundred dollars to REALLY become that anime, manga, or video game character you want to be just for one day screams “OTAKU! Right here!”

6. If your Ipod or smart phone currently has more than five songs from an anime, video game, nerd-proven sources.
    My guilty list of songs in my iTunes Library RIGHT NOW:
    “Simple & Clean by Utada Hikaru”
    “Megaman 2 Guitar Medley”
    “Final Fantasy X – Piano Collections”
    “Dragon Quest VIII Soundtrack,” “Yes the full soundtrack..” Donnie whispers as he hangs head in utter shame. LOL”
    “All of the Samurai Champloo Music” (Those beats, though!)

7. If you exercise or go running to aforesaid video game music/anime music and imagine yourself being that video game or anime character…
    When I’m running, I’m L’il Mac training for my match with Mike Tyson and there isn’t a damn thing you can say to tell me different

8. If you’ve ever cried during an anime or, even more extreme, got emotional during a video game cut scene
    Let’s say like when —– dies in Final Fantasy VII. If you’re so into the story that it drives you to tears, it might be an indicator that perhaps you may have a one-way ticket to Otaku Land in your back pocket.

9. If you haven’t been to a social gathering of some form in 6 months or more
    This means that you’re not leaving your house. You work, go home, and stay there…which potentially means more personal time for all things nerdy. Don’t feel bad if this is you…eye-twitch…I haven’t left my house in three days :O

10. If you pay more attention to your video games more than your girlfriend/boyfriend, wife/husband, or significant other.
    Self-explanatory.

11. If someone makes you angry, and you glare at them really hard and say…”Sharingan.”
    12. If you watch Japanese anime in the original, Japanese voices but have no intention of learning the language.
    13. If you missed your friend’s wedding to watch Attack On Titan.
    14. If you’ve ever had a cartoon crush, or fantasy about a cartoon or comic book character
    I’m sure it’s more common that people think…ahem…not that I’ve done it or anything. But if you’ve “masticated” to a cartoon or comic, you are on a whole ‘nother level.

15. If you’ve ever written the name of a person you don’t like on an eery, black notepad in hopes that something very “unfortunate” would happen to them.
    16. If you snort when you laugh.
    17. If you’ve ever been to any form of convention or event related to video-game, comic book, manga, or anime.
    YES, This includes Comic-Con! Don’t think you get a pass just because cool actors are there. You ain’t slipping through the cracks there, sister. Or, in my case, it was this: the PLAY! Video Game Symphony that I went to back in 2006 (and kinda want to go to again). Having a date at this event would’ve made me feel a lot less geeky.

18. If I say “One-Winged Angel” and you-know-who, pops in your head…
    19. If you got an erection, or got hot-in-the-pants, from the excitement of a nerd-related movie or game.
    We can run a test really quickly on this one. If you watch the Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer below and at 0:53, some magic starts happening in your shorts, then you already know.

20. If you can name 5 Ghibli Films (particularly if you’re not Japanese) in under 10 seconds, without skipping a beat
    Go ahead. You know you want to…I dare you.
    21. If you’ve ever sung an AKB48 song
    Yes, even if you’ve sung one in the privacy of your own home.
    **You may be an otaku if you understood any of the references on this list**

you know you watch too much anime when...
    ...you can speak intelligently in Japanese about spirits, demons, war, death, tournaments, magic, and profoundly soppy love affairs, but the prospect of buying a movie ticket leaves you tongue-tied.

..."hai," "baka," and "hentai" come to your lips so easily that sometimes you have difficulty remembering what the English words are.

...none of your friends study Japanese, but thanks to you, they all have 50-word vocabularies.

...and if they used them in front of their moms, they'd get their mouths washed out with soap.

...you go native, to the point of buying Japanese rice in 20-pound bags and clearing all of the furniture out of your living room so you can sit on the floor.

...it's 3 am, and you and your best friend are on the brink of a fistfight over whether Ranma-chan or Ranma-kun is cuter.

...you have a Ranma outfit.

...and so does your significant other.

...you're keeping an eye on your little sister for signs of slacking off during school, making eyes at the school's only bishonen, and disappearing suspiciously often for "slumber parties," because if she becomes a magic girl, you want in on the action.

...your friends stage an intervention.

...but only because they want your tapes.

...some poor ex-mugger still hears the words "LEKKA SHINEN!" in his nightmares.

...you never bothered getting your new apartment hooked up to cable, and even Babylon 5 is a take-it-or-leave-it thing... but anyone who gets in the way of your mission to get the next Slayers volume is dead.

...only, if you'd written the last sentence, you would have worded it, ``Anyone who gets in my way isNakago.''

...you've contemplated growing your hair long so that you can put it up in dumplings.

...and you're a guy.

...you feel like less of a woman because you can't put away 5,000 calories in one sitting.

...you're despondent because your chances to become an anime heroine are completely shot--you can cook.

...you refer to 21 as "over the hill," and get more depressed the closer that day comes; you're not ready to join the forces of evil, dammit!

...it's not a bad hair day, it's a Zelgadis hair day.

...your parents draw you aside and ask you whether you're a Satanist, since all of those symbols you practice drawing in your notebooks look awfully suspicious to them.

...your kids think that cartoons are supposed to have writing at the bottom.
    if i ever become an anime hero(ine)...
    I will remember that sword beats gun and bikini beats armor; and if my enemies fall down giggling at the sight of a bikini-clad warrior rushing at them with a katana, so much the better for me.

I will cultivate a non-fighting-related skill so that when the war I've worked so hard to end is finally over, I won't be unemployed. Besides, women find it charming when a man can sew.

If I do find myself unemployed after the war, I won't go over to the side of evil just because they're the only ones who still need my skills. Vocational training is dull and embarrassing, but not as embarrassing as having to fight all my old allies.

One-on-one fights are for wusses who never learned to ignore schoolyard taunts. It takes a real man to ignore cries of, "Six-to-one odds aren't honorable!"

I will not attempt to operate any mecha until I have read the complete specs and have a signed affidavit that the self-destruct button works.

I will not fret about damages to my mecha. Unbeatable mecha can be trashed on a day-to-day basis, but the techie types are so good that it will always be repaired before I need it again.

If I am issued a suit of armor or fighting costume with high heels, I will get it altered immediately. Really, people, have you no sense of style?

If I can fly, I will bear this in mind at all times, and not waste time on chase scenes.

If I have a chance to pick a partner, I will not choose the cutest, most ineffectual kawaiiko in the cast. I will choose the villain.

I will bear in mind that a fight is the second most lasting form of contract known to the animeverse. If I lose, the jerk will show up and taunt me at every plot twist; if I win, he will follow me around demanding a rematch. Or worse, he will join me.

I will also bear in mind that a date is the most lasting form of contract known to the animeverse.

If an admirer refuses to understand that I don't want to date him, I will not fight him or engage in devious schemes to get away from him. I will go on a date with him and spend the evening demurely picking my nose.

If a too-cute-to-live girl refuses to understand that I don't want to date her, I will not hatch devious schemes to get away from her. I will go on a date with her and try at the first possible moment to get my hand down her blouse.

But before I do this, I will clear my plans with her brother, secret admirer, or anyone else likely to pound me for being hentai with her.

And if trying to cop a feel doesn't get her to run screaming from me, well, now I have a cute girlfriend who doesn't mind if I try to cop a feel. Things could be worse.

If my wise old jiichan or baasan tells me that the family shrine/forest/well/cave imprisons a demon, I will believe them. Tokyo has been blown up often enough already by kids who didn't believe their grandparents.

If my name is supposed to be in English, I will make certain that the English is grammatically sound and doesn't give English speakers fits of the giggles.

When faced with dripping, octopoid tentacles, I will not scream and wiggle. I will pour salt on them.

I will not be surprised when the person from the future turns out to be my kid. Of course they're my kid. If they weren't, they wouldn't be here. More importantly, who is the other parent?

I will spend some time learning my family history, since it's good to know in advance that I am an alien/descendant of a god/heir to the throne/part of a deal to the underworld... little things like that are sure to pop up, and its nice to know in advance.

In the same vein, I will keep track of anything my parents/sensei say and ferret out things like, "Did you marry me off when I was three?" "Do I have a secret weakness?" "Was I adopted?" "Is what that nice alien girl said about my lineage true?" and "Are you sure there isn't another ultimate technique I can learn?"

If I'm facing a particularly amusing or pathetic villain, I will resist the urge to kill him or let him join me. All that does is to clear the way for some new villain who is probably infinitely worse.

I will establish a plan to escape from those inevitable rampaging love triangles. It may save me some dimensional-hammer-related pain.

If annoying suitors are inevitable, I will arrange to attract only suitors who lack my strength or powers. If I do fall in love, my suitors won't be able to interfere with me or my love interest.

I will have an obnoxious personality quirk that makes others suffer. This will keep me out of the "unlucky" character bracket that nice people get stuck in.

I will hit on the villain of the opposite sex. This will distract him or her, and I may even score another ally. As for the second worst possible outcome, well, s/he was going to kill me anyway, right?

I will keep in mind that the worst possible outcome is that s/he will stay around and add another side to the love (geometric shape) I'm already in, so I should save it as a last resort. God knows that if it works, I'm probably swamped with suitors already.

I will not even bother with a laser gun. When was the last time someone didn't have an energy shield to deflect it?

I will remember to knock and loudly announce that I am entering the bathroom. There are no limits to how many times this would have simplified things.

I will duck and avoid the large, heavy object which is coming my way, then say, "Wait! I can explain!"
    Last edited by Clayton_n; 05-15-2018 at 06:56 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

So has anyone else here tried to convert a normal person into an anime fan?

Last edited by Clayton_n; 10-05-2021 at 02:46 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information