AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How important is fan service?

つき *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki*'s Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts 001 - Bulbasaur Cowboy Hat Dr Who Tardis
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-30-2021 04:30 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How important is fan service?

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    Again, how many characters int hat pic up top do you recognize? I'll give you one hint, there are several characters from Pokemon in it.

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

Yeah.. the face is important... sure...

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/567...1e19430c3f.jpg
    If I remember correctly, throughout the whole anime she nearly always had her shirt zipped up all the way and at times you couldn't even tell she had bewbs because of the whole outfit being black. They certainly didn't have her running around with her bewbs bouncing up and down and panties showing all the time. She was just an awesome character without a head. Which, subsequently, makes that important to the storyline and also telling her character apart from others. How many times have you thought Celty was a character in a different manga/anime? Aside from that, you're completely disregarding the rest of that post with the clothing and body type. Her clothing is entirely telling of who she is as a character- I mean look at that helmet.

Also, quit asking about your "test." Because honestly, your "test" is invalid. While some of them may have larger bewbs than the others, the main reason why people would be able to tell you what characters those are is through their clothing styles. I mean, seriously. If you've looked at fan-made things, bewb sizes range can even be huge on characters that have next to no chest. The reason why you are able to tell it is them is by their hair, clothing, manner, and face (or lack-there-of in Celty's case). If all of those characters were to line up next to each other without a shirt on, you would not be able to tell which one is which.
    Last edited by *Tsuki*; 06-16-2012 at 01:31 PM.

2. Likes GameGeeks liked this post
    Senior Member Explorer Oak has a reputation beyond repute Explorer Oak has a reputation beyond repute Explorer Oak has a reputation beyond repute Explorer Oak has a reputation beyond repute Explorer Oak has a reputation beyond repute Explorer Oak has a reputation beyond repute Explorer Oak has a reputation beyond repute Explorer Oak has a reputation beyond repute Explorer Oak has a reputation beyond repute Explorer Oak has a reputation beyond repute Explorer Oak has a reputation beyond repute Explorer Oak's Avatar
    Gil
    Chatty
    Gifts Shuriken Systems PS3 Batmobile 1989
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-15-2014 11:34 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Explorer Oak

Animes that show them every chance they get, now that is where i draw the line. I don't enjoy seeing females get degraded every episode, just not my thing.
    Explorer Oak ~ Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's seed, that held its ground. Never give up!

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki haruka View Post
    Boobs are not everything I dont see the big deal about them everyone has them.Only thing important to me is dose it have good story or what will make me want to watch it.
    Yup, even men.

5. Likes Princess Cupcake liked this post
    Back To Business ~> Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts One Piece Flag Soul Eater Shinigami-sama Naruto Sharingan
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-26-2012 02:33 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AshureeChan View Post
    Eh, I could personally do without. I'm a girl (why did I type good??) so boob shots and panty shots make me feel uncomfortable.
    I don't mind boob jokes to an extent but that's a completely different thing

And I don't understand how you can't tell characters apart other than boobs... they have faces and personalities ya know!
    Exactly! I'm a guy and I feel proud to say I respect both woman and men the same way and as a guy I'd also feel unconfortable if there was a post like this but with pics of boys asses per example -_-

Senior Member AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan's Avatar
    Gil
    Sassy
    Gifts Systems N64 Hello Kitty Soul Eater Logo
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-05-2017 03:25 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Uchiha_Luffy View Post
    Exactly! I'm a guy and I feel proud to say I respect both woman and men the same way and as a guy I'd also feel unconfortable if there was a post like this but with pics of boys asses per example -_-
    No, I like that part hahahaha I'm kidding!!! Yeah it's like "Ummmm can we get back to the plot now?!" lol

| Twitter | Tumblr | YouTube | MyAnimeList |

"Frustrations will not last forever. Nobody can keep on going without some measure of reward."

8. Likes Mugiwara-no-Basuke liked this post
    Back To Business ~> Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheThunderBringer View Post
    Every now and then I suppose it's...refreshing? (as a guy), but it's definitely something I could live without. The story is infinitely more important.
    I'm glad to see more guys sharing my thought I underline your sentence dude!

10. Thanks TheThunderBringer thanked for this post
    Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

Fine I guess you are right. Shows like Tenchi GXp, Eiken, and Highschool of the Dead would be better without well endowed jiggly girls all over the place...

Last edited by Clayton_n; 06-19-2012 at 07:26 PM.

Senior Member .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2020 04:24 PM
    Threads

So how many of the characters in that picture up there can you recognize?
    Honestly? Only Misty - and only because she has 2 straps over her breasts (not so much because I recognise her breasts), and then, only after you gave the Pokemon hint.

You would be shocked at how similar two characters from different series can be.
    Not necessarily. In most cases I would say that perceived similarity between characters is more a reflection of ignorance than fact. When I first watched anime I initially felt that most anime characters were pretty much the same, especially girl characters who generally seemed to share the same visual characteristics as each other (e.g. large breasts, long limbs, moe-ish looks etc.). However, in becoming more interested in their personalities I began to notice that there are actually subtle, yet nonetheless, important visual differences between anime characters in general, and that they aren't necessarily as similar as I first thought.

Regarding the main question of the thread: to give my personal opinion, I'd say that the importance of fan service very much depends on context and standpoint. From a series standpoint "fan service" is rarely appropriate or necessary (if not questionable at best); for in most cases it neither advances storylines nor character profiles (and often deliberately so). In any case, I have yet to view a fan service-based anime episode that serves either of those two objectives. From a revenue standpoint however fan service is obviously important - clearly there is a market for it, otherwise it would not exist in the first place - and high-production anime probably depends on revenue from fan service to an extent.

Personally, I can tolerate fan service to a certain degree as long as it's optional and not intrusive. The best case scenario would be fan service featured in side story anime episodes; at least here I can choose whether to digest or avoid fan service (depending on mood) without worrying that I might be missing something otherwise essential. The worst case scenario would be fan service inappropriately featured in regular anime episodes - that all-or-nothing-like approach does not sit very well with me at all.
    Last edited by .:neuko:.; 06-20-2012 at 12:20 AM.

♡ Your Royal Sprinkles ♡ Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake's Avatar
    Gil
    Psychadelic
    Gifts Cheshire Cat Kawaiislice Cake
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2012 09:54 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

OK... here is what I think.

I do not mind fanservice. In fact, I am for it. Why this concept even exists is really stupid. All anime/manga should "service" its fans. Adding stronger sexual themes is just one way to do that and if you don't like it then don't watch it. Plain and simple. Don't be a hater.

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Cupcake View Post
    OK... here is what I think.

I do not mind fanservice. In fact, I am for it. Why this concept even exists is really stupid. All anime/manga should "service" its fans. Adding stronger sexual themes is just one way to do that and if you don't like it then don't watch it. Plain and simple. Don't be a hater.
    I can see that being true in certain animies but much of the time it's just placed in and not needed. For example Kaze no Stigma. There's no reason to show Ayano's panties every chance they get. Especially when there's really no other fan service in the anime. All it does is serve to degrade the anime as fan service isn't the show's goal. Might be fine in shows like K-ON which is there purpose of the show but not all anime is like that. And in instances other then those shows it's just a degradation of what could be an otherwise respectable show.

Senior Member Creasy has a reputation beyond repute Creasy has a reputation beyond repute Creasy has a reputation beyond repute Creasy has a reputation beyond repute Creasy has a reputation beyond repute Creasy has a reputation beyond repute Creasy has a reputation beyond repute Creasy has a reputation beyond repute Creasy has a reputation beyond repute Creasy has a reputation beyond repute Creasy has a reputation beyond repute Creasy's Avatar
    Gil
    Yeehaw
    Gifts Cookie Soul Eater Logo Bleach Urahara Hat
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-11-2012 09:47 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

@Clayton_n

Hahahahahaha I love the first video it's so frelling hilarious! the song..haha xD

♡ Your Royal Sprinkles ♡ Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake's Avatar
    Gil
    Psychadelic
    Gifts Cheshire Cat Kawaiislice Cake
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2012 09:54 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

What I was tryna get at is it shouldn't be that big o' deal. People overreact to it. I know showing panties all the time isn't their main goal, that would just be idiotic. If it bothers someone that much then don't watch it. I don't really see it as degradation so that would make me very biased on the matter. Maybe it's not needed, but it's there and it's inevitable. Sometimes it's just not worth it to be so picky.

17. Likes Mugiwara-no-Basuke liked this post
    Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Cupcake View Post
    What I was tryna get at is it shouldn't be that big o' deal. People overreact to it. I know showing panties all the time isn't their main goal, that would just be idiotic. If it bothers someone that much then don't watch it. I don't really see it as degradation so that would make me very biased on the matter. Maybe it's not needed, but it's there and it's inevitable. Sometimes it's just not worth it to be so picky.
    I totally agree with you. I personaly don't like it and for me is totally not needed but, as soon as in MODERATION, it doesn't make me that upsted.
    Fairy Tail is an awesome anime and it's much more filled with it than animes like One Piece (only Hancock, I think), Naruto (Tsunade and not that many) and Bleach (Matsumoto, sometime's other character's as Inoue etc), per example.

"Contra factos não há argumentos" - is a portuguese saying that means something like "there are no arguments against facts", that is kinda appropriate for here as @Princess Cupcake so well said - if it disturbs you so so much than just stop watching the anime, if Fairy Tail just suddenly triplicated it's fanservice and the plot just killed I guess I'd have to stop watching it (but that won't happen :P)

Junior Member ご立派なマーラ様 is on a distinguished road ご立派なマーラ様's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-22-2012 02:24 AM
    Threads

Eh, I could personally do without. I'm a girl (why did I type good??) so boob shots and panty shots make me feel uncomfortable.
    I don't mind boob jokes to an extent but that's a completely different thing

And I don't understand how you can't tell characters apart other than boobs... they have faces and personalities ya know!
    If such things make you uncomfortable, how about er...look at my avatar. Is it not uncomfortable? I wonder which of us are being a sexist here...which is more uncomfortable, male or female symbol? I think the appearance of Mara in Shin-Megami Tensei series is a kind of fan service but it is supposed to be funny or naughty, at most, rather than embarrassing or something. The last episode of Queen's Blade Rebellion in this season had one of the most memorable scenes among the ones in which a character casting a resurrection spell. In most RPGs, resurrection spells are big deals but the casting process depicted here is...er...not so conventional as a life-saving process. Thinking of that, most of the content in Queen's Blade series is pretty orthodox as an RPG-themed anime...it's just its fan service is kinda...over the top, which is, again I think, intended to be funny/stupid rather than hot. Also, have you read manga called Minori no Seishun? It heavily relies on sexual themes but they are so exaggerated to the extent that they are not sexy at all - they are plain silly or funny. I only wrote about possible funniness of fan services and leave possible artistic aspect of them to someone else - somehow, I think it couldn't be convincing with this avatar.
    It will only take one thrust to penetrate your frail form and finish you off immediately! - quoted from Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2

Senior Member AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan's Avatar
    Gil
    Sassy
    Gifts Systems N64 Hello Kitty Soul Eater Logo
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-05-2017 03:25 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by ご立派なマーラ様 View Post
    If such things make you uncomfortable, how about er...look at my avatar. Is it not uncomfortable? I wonder which of us are being a sexist here...which is more uncomfortable, male or female symbol? I think the appearance of Mara in Shin-Megami Tensei series is a kind of fan service but it is supposed to be funny or naughty, at most, rather than embarrassing or something. The last episode of Queen's Blade Rebellion in this season had one of the most memorable scenes among the ones in which a character casting a resurrection spell. In most RPGs, resurrection spells are big deals but the casting process depicted here is...er...not so conventional as a life-saving process. Thinking of that, most of the content in Queen's Blade series is pretty orthodox as an RPG-themed anime...it's just its fan service is kinda...over the top, which is, again I think, intended to be funny/stupid rather than hot. Also, have you read manga called Minori no Seishun? It heavily relies on sexual themes but they are so exaggerated to the extent that they are not sexy at all - they are plain silly or funny. I only wrote about possible funniness of fan services and leave possible artistic aspect of them to someone else - somehow, I think it couldn't be convincing with this avatar.
    Not 100% sure why you decided you needed to single me out as sexist but I'm not. I don't care all that much for male just as much as female fan service. I understand if it's for comedic purposes such as strange scenes of Hideyoshi from Baka to Test (which are hilarious! and kinda stupid lol) but if it's something like Rosario+Vampire there is so much fan service I stopped watching after episode 8. I just think there needs to be a line. And how is it weird that looking at other girls boobs makes me uncomfortable? I'm not the only girl who feels that way.

| Twitter | Tumblr | YouTube | MyAnimeList |

"Frustrations will not last forever. Nobody can keep on going without some measure of reward."

Senior Member RavenQueen has a brilliant future RavenQueen has a brilliant future RavenQueen has a brilliant future RavenQueen has a brilliant future RavenQueen has a brilliant future RavenQueen has a brilliant future RavenQueen has a brilliant future RavenQueen has a brilliant future RavenQueen has a brilliant future RavenQueen has a brilliant future RavenQueen has a brilliant future RavenQueen's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Luna-P Ball Haruhi Sos Dan Tennis Ball
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-14-2013 10:04 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Not 100% sure why you decided you needed to single me out as sexist but I'm not. I don't care all that much for male just as much as female fan service. I understand if it's for comedic purposes such as strange scenes of Hideyoshi from Baka to Test (which are hilarious! and kinda stupid lol) but if it's something like Rosario+Vampire there is so much fan service I stopped watching after episode 8. I just think there needs to be a line. And how is it weird that looking at other girls boobs makes me uncomfortable? I'm not the only girl who feels that way.
    i agree with you i watched it all but it is one reason why japan hated otakus for the longest time cause how perv they where with little girls and teens in anime.

22. Likes AshureeChan, Ayu 「あゆ」 liked this post
    Senior Member Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-27-2013 05:08 PM
    Threads

If fanservice is done right is more than okay. I never mind a bit of sexual humor in anime or movies, but in anime, it's often so awkward, completely forced, nothing but sexual taunting, and very corny. Fanservice is too often designed to just arouse horny teenage boys (or girls).

The kind of fanservice I wouldn't mind are things like the Blackout scene in the game 'Resonance of Fate,' the scene where in Code Geass Kallen Stadtfeld walks into a conference while still in her towel, the scene in Clannad where Tomoya and Kyou get locked in the supplies shed, or a few other scenes I can't think of right now.

The kind of fanservice I don't want is when the camera is zoomed in on some girl's crotch 90% of the time like Strike Witch or when half the show focused on women barely even dressed, if at all, running around the entire episode like the one in School of the Dead.

I'm sure almost ALL of the guys in this thread would absolutely hate the fanservice if it was reversed and instead with constant crotch shots of guys and nothing but crotch shots instead of crotch shots of women. Honestly, fanservice is good for a joke or two or maybe a little tease or whatever, but really anything more and it is just taking away from the story time for the sake of amusing horny people. And I also think fanservice is okay if it is organic to the story; a good example of that would be in Sankarea when the "older" Rea has to pose nude (it's still a little uncomfortable tho), but a very bad example would be when they show Rea is just a little kid and fully nude on camera with nothing but a leaf between her legs! I mean, what guy or girl would want to ever see that??.. There are WAY better ways to accomplish that scene without having to show a naked little girl. I was turned off by anime for the longest time bcuz the fanservice was always too much and WAY too weird. That's my perspective on that.
    Last edited by Ayu 「あゆ」; 06-21-2012 at 08:39 AM.

Junior Member Maccha has a reputation beyond repute Maccha has a reputation beyond repute Maccha has a reputation beyond repute Maccha has a reputation beyond repute Maccha has a reputation beyond repute Maccha has a reputation beyond repute Maccha has a reputation beyond repute Maccha has a reputation beyond repute Maccha has a reputation beyond repute Maccha has a reputation beyond repute Maccha has a reputation beyond repute Maccha's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Bleach Zangetsu
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-10-2012 06:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Tsunade from Naruto for example, her boobs are like... comic relief... haha... and that series isn't full of boobs, good plot, interesting characters, I don't mind so much. However if that's pretty much all there is in an anime/manga then I'd rather not waste my time reading it, it's pretty meaningless. Seriously if that's what people want to see then go watch pr0n, lol -_-
    Even if it were reversed, yeah I'd probably find it (if not more) disturbing to see scenes of a guy's crotch or something for half the episode, and it'd make no sense to have them all topless every appearance.

Hmmm to me fanservice isn't always about girls and boobs though (lol), though I personally don't mind it if its done to a controlled extent. If fanservice gets in the way of plot and character development however, I'd hate it. Sometimes certain characters are better suited to carry out certain roles better than others, to maintain the quality of plot development, but if it's ruined because of fan service then I'd rather not follow the story. I think plot development and character depth are definitely the priority, lols.

An example of fanservice, character wise > Hitsugaya Toushirou from Bleach. Don't get me wrong, I like the little guy, you gotta admit though there's a lot of him : D

(Btw, how do bewbs define a character... tell me now that all Tsunade is , is boobs... no character depth, no epic ninja skills, no nothing... ;D Also, some ehrm so called Flat-chested characters (Rukia - Bleach , Aisaka Taiga - Toradora) , are pretty amazing characters... what gives? XD )
    Last edited by Maccha; 06-21-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Well, nothing personal. I simply picked up one, reading from the top of the thread. And, yeah, I kinda agree that the element is just passable for the works which don't even try to take themselves seriously. In many of the cases, it is so obvious when fan services get in otaku-exclusive area that you can avoid possible unpleasant experiences totally. Indeed, in some other cases, it's quite hard to discern plain-simple perversion and artistic attempt - Blade of the Immortal comes to my mind, for example - but such cases are rather rare. Well, it's the reason why I avoided getting into possible art discussions. lol ...BTW, how comes I haven't heard of most of the titles listed as bad examples in this thread - maybe, I tend to just remain the region of ecchi comedies when it comes to fan services?
    It will only take one thrust to penetrate your frail form and finish you off immediately! - quoted from Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2

Senior Member Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Gifts Dodge Viper GTS Hyundai Coupe Yellow Ribbon
    Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-10-2017 10:46 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Bad_Prelude

i am a connoisseur of sorts in regards to the female physique, but excessive pantyshots and boobs that bounce around more than flubber, tend to take away from the story and push the anime more toward hentai. Some boobs and panties here and there for comic relief is fine. but when it turns into something like Queens Blade, then its too much.
    In anime, you shouldn't be able to recognize characters by fan service alone. thats what you reserve for the women you meet in real life.
    boooooobz...

---------- Post added at 07:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 AM ----------

Well, nothing personal. I simply picked up one, reading from the top of the thread. And, yeah, I kinda agree that the element is just passable for the works which don't even try to take themselves seriously. In many of the cases, it is so obvious when fan services get in otaku-exclusive area that you can avoid possible unpleasant experiences totally. Indeed, in some other cases, it's quite hard to discern plain-simple perversion and artistic attempt - Blade of the Immortal comes to my mind, for example - but such cases are rather rare. Well, it's the reason why I avoided getting into possible art discussions. lol ...BTW, how comes I haven't heard of most of the titles listed as bad examples in this thread - maybe, I tend to just remain the region of ecchi comedies when it comes to fan services?
    your avatar is a green penis crab monster thingy in a wheelchair...
    Last edited by Kaleohano; 06-21-2012 at 09:20 AM.
    Hmmm... Been a while
    Sit back some time and simply ask yourself, [Link]->"Do you even lift, bro?"<-[Link]

Member ButzYung has much to be proud of ButzYung has much to be proud of ButzYung has much to be proud of ButzYung has much to be proud of ButzYung has much to be proud of ButzYung has much to be proud of ButzYung has much to be proud of ButzYung has much to be proud of ButzYung has much to be proud of ButzYung's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2015 08:11 AM
    Threads

Fan service is a nice bonus to me, but not necessary, and don't overuse it.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by DerGerman View Post
    your avatar is a green penis crab monster thingy in a wheelchair...
    Well, that's exactly my point - it's just incredibly stupid even for being flown at. Likewise, Queen's Blade series is, for me, just a nonsensical slapstick comedy with some fantasy RPG (parody) and ecchi themes. Who can take it seriously, after all?

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Neukifly View Post
    Honestly? Only Misty - and only because she has 2 straps over her breasts (not so much because I recognise her breasts), and then, only after you gave the Pokemon hint.

no, in fact there are 3 Pokemon characters in the picture. One of them isn't even a girl.

Seriously how many people int hat pic can you recognize?

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

How important is fanservice in anime?

For me, it's very important. Otherwise it would be impossible to tell a lot of characters apart.

here I'll list the series out and then you see if you recognize them

Sailor Moon
    Ah My Goddess
    Tenchi
    Tenchi GXP
    Outlaw Star
    Thundercats
    Yugioh
    Abenooshi
    hellsing
    Bleach
    One Piece
    naruto
    Code geass
    Dragonball Z

Senior Member Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Well, that's exactly my point - it's just incredibly stupid even for being flown at. Likewise, Queen's Blade series is, for me, just a nonsensical slapstick comedy with some fantasy RPG (parody) and ecchi themes. Who can take it seriously, after all?

Last edited by Gjallarhorn; 06-22-2012 at 01:10 AM. Reason: We're removing that avatar and references to it. - Gjallarhorn
    Hmmm... Been a while
    Sit back some time and simply ask yourself, [Link]->"Do you even lift, bro?"<-[Link]

Gil
    Cheeky
    Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

A quote from a post that has mysteriously disappeared! Ooooooooo~.
    Afro Lama
    Last edited by Gjallarhorn; 06-22-2012 at 01:18 AM.
    Hmmm... Been a while

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information