AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Discipline: How much is too much?

Senior Member Slayer has a reputation beyond repute Slayer has a reputation beyond repute Slayer has a reputation beyond repute Slayer has a reputation beyond repute Slayer has a reputation beyond repute Slayer has a reputation beyond repute Slayer has a reputation beyond repute Slayer has a reputation beyond repute Slayer has a reputation beyond repute Slayer has a reputation beyond repute Slayer has a reputation beyond repute Slayer's Avatar
    Gil
    Persnickety
    Gifts Gir 172 - Pichu Jupiter Crystal Henshin Pen
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-05-2012 06:53 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Discipline: How much is too much?

I think almost everyone can agree that children need discipline. I was disciplined as a child according to my actions but my parents knew what line to not cross and were still able to get their point across. I ran into a video on Youtube the other day that disturbed me pretty badly.

Be warned that the video could be considered disturbing by some:

The cause for the vicious beating was because she had downloaded pirated content online; music, to be more precise. Apparently this was a reoccurring thing and once the daughter sensed that something was about to happen, she turned on a hidden camera to catch the father beating her in action.

Personally, I think one, maybe two lashes with the belt would've sufficed and removing her privilege to use the Internet for a month. In my opinion, this man crossed the line between "discipline" and stepped into "beating".

So I'll ask you, fellow AF'ers, do you think this was too much? And to what extent would you take disciplining your children?
    Last edited by Slayer; 03-31-2012 at 09:05 PM.

[Let others wage war.]
    Slayer's Creative Corner

Senior Member Explorer Oak has a reputation beyond repute Explorer Oak has a reputation beyond repute Explorer Oak has a reputation beyond repute Explorer Oak has a reputation beyond repute Explorer Oak has a reputation beyond repute Explorer Oak has a reputation beyond repute Explorer Oak has a reputation beyond repute Explorer Oak has a reputation beyond repute Explorer Oak has a reputation beyond repute Explorer Oak has a reputation beyond repute Explorer Oak has a reputation beyond repute Explorer Oak's Avatar
    Gil
    Chatty
    Gifts Shuriken Systems PS3 Batmobile 1989
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-15-2014 11:34 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Explorer Oak

Default Re: Discipline: How much is too much?

Oh my god.. now what to say.. Well first of all thanks for the warning, i should have listened but i didn't think it would be that bad. Absolutely not acceptable in my book. For frelling downloading some shared music?! Not a good reason to treat your own child like that. I hope that she used that rec. to get her out of that misserable home. I am not sure what course of action i will take to discipline my kids when i get older. I suppose i will know when the time comes.

Senior Member Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts Rainbow Ribbon Eva NERV Eva Penpen
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-15-2014 12:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Shibito Steam ID: Shibito

I couldnt watch past 4 minutes... It made me sick to my stomach. didnt relize i was holding a peice of metal trash i was picking up while cleaning. the video got me mad. I squeezed it to the point i was bleeding. the drip of blood that feel on my foot snaped it out of it. I dont know how someone can be so frelling shallow to do this. Makes me so freaking sick.... I hope to god that he sufferes the same. She had no reason to get beaten like that. argh....Brb i need to wrap my hand up and clean up my keyboard...

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Senior Member Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-12-2014 08:06 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

The moment anyone, including my parents, ever try to hit me it's on. I honestly could care less who you are, you do not hurt me unless I hurt you first on purpose (I wouldn't ever hit anyone unless they hit me). I'm strongly against any type of physical abuse, he could have just taken away her internet for a couple of months. It's people like this that make me want people to get parenting licenses to have or take care of children.
    人類は調和したのか?
    VY2V3 = Me | Kagamine Len Act 1 = You

5. Likes SuXrys liked this post
    Member KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Gifts Ouran Patch
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-22-2017 11:11 PM
    Threads

That video showed excessive.

Senior Member Hakoshi has a reputation beyond repute Hakoshi has a reputation beyond repute Hakoshi has a reputation beyond repute Hakoshi has a reputation beyond repute Hakoshi has a reputation beyond repute Hakoshi has a reputation beyond repute Hakoshi has a reputation beyond repute Hakoshi has a reputation beyond repute Hakoshi has a reputation beyond repute Hakoshi has a reputation beyond repute Hakoshi has a reputation beyond repute Hakoshi's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Gifts Watermelon Squid Empty Box
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-06-2013 04:02 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: hakonoko

that guy makes my parents scoldings seem like smacking me with a feather.

The third eye of love Koishi Komeiji Closed eyes of love
    Let us seek that side.
    (´・ω・`)コンチャ!

Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    569 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-30-2016 01:28 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

It was hard interpreting the first post since AF took a little too much salt water today.
    I would say its not excessive to simply lecture kids or smack the booty once. But a straight up beat down is too much.

9. Likes Slayer liked this post
    Senior Member Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Present Bomb Aquarius
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2014 05:45 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Well, that's obviously too much, some parents just don't know when enough is enough and I really don't think those types of people should be parenting.

Removing her internet for a few weeks with an explanation or grounding her would suffice.

ein, zwei, drei, vier bin endlich weg von Dir
    fünf, sechs, sieben, acht Du hast jetzt keine Macht

11. Thanks Slayer thanked for this post
    Senior Member SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-14-2014 06:26 AM
    Berwald Oxenstiernas (Hetalia) vital regions [Sweden]
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Parents/others should NEVER hit a child, or anyone else for that matter!

It's illegal to "discipline" a child with violence here, and I couldn't agree with that law anymore then I already do. So @Aelwynsal even one/two lashes with a belt is in my personal opinion too much, in my eyes someone has gone way to far if someone does that. It's just wrong.

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aerodynamic Cheesecake View Post
    I would say its not excessive to simply lecture kids or smack the booty once. But a straight up beat down is too much.
    Why should someone even smack their kid once?
    Last edited by SuXrys; 04-01-2012 at 06:01 AM.

Waiting for
    Christmas
    Season four of Sherlock
    The new Hobbit movie
    Season five of Game of Thrones
    New episodes of Downton Abbey

Senior Member Slayer has a reputation beyond repute Slayer has a reputation beyond repute Slayer has a reputation beyond repute Slayer has a reputation beyond repute Slayer has a reputation beyond repute Slayer has a reputation beyond repute Slayer has a reputation beyond repute Slayer has a reputation beyond repute Slayer has a reputation beyond repute Slayer has a reputation beyond repute Slayer has a reputation beyond repute Slayer's Avatar
    Gil
    Persnickety
    Gifts Gir 172 - Pichu Jupiter Crystal Henshin Pen
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-05-2012 06:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuXrys View Post
    Why should someone even smack their kid once?
    I've never been a big believer of striking a child to enforce discipline, but I know some children who need it. Any and all other methods of attempted disciple don't seem to work. Now, I'm not saying to hit them like that man was hitting his daughter.

I know that when I was young I did something that my parents heavily disliked and I got struck with the belt once. It was only hard enough to sting and they didn't make any other attempts to take it further; and with all honesty that one time is all it took.

In my opinion, controlled strikes (strikes that aren't overpowered and don't leave any marks on the child) are sometimes necessary.

[Let others wage war.]
    Slayer's Creative Corner

14. Likes Yuuchun liked this post
    Senior Member SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-14-2014 06:26 AM
    Berwald Oxenstiernas (Hetalia) vital regions [Sweden]
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aelwynsal View Post
    In my opinion, controlled strikes (strikes that aren't overpowered and don't leave any marks on the child) are sometimes necessary.
    But how can anyone give controlled strikes when they are mad and upset? I belive that strikes are then never as controlled as "the striker" hoped/wished for or thought that they would be. Why not do other things instead of hitting the child?

To read that people think that things like this are okey are just such a "cultural crash" for me. But I guess that is what happens when you meeting people from so many different countries.

Waiting for
    Christmas
    Season four of Sherlock
    The new Hobbit movie
    Season five of Game of Thrones
    New episodes of Downton Abbey

Senior Member marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Witch Hat Gir Aries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-04-2012 08:45 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

My parents (namely my mum) would use corporal punishment on us when we were little, but never more than one smack usually. It was enough to get our attention that we were in the wrong. As we got older, it became more along the lines of taking things away (like my radio) or grounding us. Once my dad made me stand with my nose pressed against the doorway as punishment, but a friend called for me and he told her on the phone exactly what I was doing and that it was punishment. It was more mortifying than anything else he could have ever done.

That dad was excessive. Take her computer privileges away, delete the download program and all the music off of there yourself, or find someone who will. Then assign extra chores and such. Illegal downloading is an offense that is by no means worth beating a child over.
    My Bubblegum Crisis fan-site --> The Bubblegum Crisis Sanctum (a work in progress)

and my humble blog --> The Writing Desk

--> My AF album

Pet Shop Story and Dragon Story ids: webowers, wbowers

17. Thanks Slayer thanked for this post
    4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Only inferior, possibly unsuitable parents have to resort to violence to get their point across.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

19. Likes Xeyuzio, SuXrys liked this post
    ~The Skylark Rose~ animegirl2365 has a reputation beyond repute animegirl2365 has a reputation beyond repute animegirl2365 has a reputation beyond repute animegirl2365 has a reputation beyond repute animegirl2365 has a reputation beyond repute animegirl2365 has a reputation beyond repute animegirl2365 has a reputation beyond repute animegirl2365 has a reputation beyond repute animegirl2365 has a reputation beyond repute animegirl2365 has a reputation beyond repute animegirl2365 has a reputation beyond repute animegirl2365's Avatar
    Gil
    Chatty
    Gifts Notebook
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-05-2012 09:39 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Okay I know this is a touchy subject and some people aren't gonna like what I'm about to say but this is based on my experience and my own opinion. My comment on the video is it wasn't that horrifying to me but I will say the girl was WAY too old to be getting spanked. If you are going to spank your kids the limit should be 10-12. When they turn teenagers they should be old enough to get grounded and stuff. Now I personally don't see anything wrong with spanking your child my mom did it to me and my sister and her mom and dad did the same to her and we all turned out great. Also for all you Christians out there I do believe its in the Bible that you should beat your kids. From my own experience I think children who get spankings behave better than the ones who just get grounded. When you get spanked as a kid it puts a little fear in your heart of doing wrong and it makes you think twice about stealing candy or talking back to the teacher. Now I do agree that some parents take it over board. Some kids like the ones at my old school who didn't get spankings did whatever they wanted because they knew all that was gonna happen was they weren't going to be able to play outside or watch tv for a while.

Senior Member Syaoran has a reputation beyond repute Syaoran has a reputation beyond repute Syaoran has a reputation beyond repute Syaoran has a reputation beyond repute Syaoran has a reputation beyond repute Syaoran has a reputation beyond repute Syaoran has a reputation beyond repute Syaoran has a reputation beyond repute Syaoran has a reputation beyond repute Syaoran has a reputation beyond repute Syaoran has a reputation beyond repute Syaoran's Avatar
    Gil
    Cloud_9
    Gifts Cake Kawaii Ice Cream Cone Cookie
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-30-2016 12:13 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Beating children is wrong. I am one so I'm kind of biased there. But all beating does is make someone live in fear of their mistakes, and there are better ways of learning from mistakes. But if you can't handle a kid that has done something wrong calmly then don't be a parent, leave it at that.

ll Set by Duck [Daken] ll Sprites by genericnpc on Tumblr ll Formerly Dark Butterfly

Senior Member Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Gifts Dodge Viper GTS Hyundai Coupe Yellow Ribbon
    Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-10-2017 10:46 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Bad_Prelude

i think that parents these days are way too soft on their kids. a smack on the a$$, a tug on the ears or nose, some harsh words, and grounding all are part of growing up. but even i have to admit that this is some effing bullshyt. that dude has gone way too damn far. i hope she could use the video to get the hell out of there.

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aelwynsal View Post
    I've never been a big believer of striking a child to enforce discipline, but I know some children who need it. Any and all other methods of attempted disciple don't seem to work. Now, I'm not saying to hit them like that man was hitting his daughter.

I know that when I was young I did something that my parents heavily disliked and I got struck with the belt once. It was only hard enough to sting and they didn't make any other attempts to take it further; and with all honesty that one time is all it took.

put into adult terms, few things will shut someone up like blood dripping from his mouth whenever he opens it. in kids terms. the little guy won't worry about causing you problems when his butt stings. its not violence when kept in check. this video however, was not kept in check.
    Hmmm... Been a while
    Sit back some time and simply ask yourself, [Link]->"Do you even lift, bro?"<-[Link]

Senior Member Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo's Avatar
    Gil
    Pensive
    Gifts Pocky
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-21-2013 06:15 PM
    Threads

Most kids are easily controlled by removing priveleges. Don't threaten to remove. Remove. Take the TV out of the kids room and put it in the basement.

As for striking them? No. A clip around the arse if they do something serious (injure another child, risk their own life) is fine. Otherwise no.

24. Likes Slayer liked this post
Closed Thread

Thread Information