AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking to start learning Japanese!! (Need a Japanese Dictionary?)

Junior Member NihongoMaster is on a distinguished road NihongoMaster's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-21-2012 03:11 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Looking to start learning Japanese!! (Need a Japanese Dictionary?)

First off, here, have a dictionary! We won't tell anyone what words you look up...>.>

http://www.nihongomaster.com

So I'm interested in learning Japanese. How did you guys start? What made you want to learn?

Moderator Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts Moon Crescent Wand Wine Kangaroo
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 04:32 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking to start learning Japanese!! (Need a Japanese Dictionary?)

I started last month. I'm doing a night class once a week for the year. I wanted to do do it because one day I hope to watch anime in Japanese without subtitles. Also because I plan to go to Japan in a few yrs. I'm really enjoying it and would encourage anyone to give it a go!

3. Thanks NihongoMaster thanked for this post
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Wow! Thanks for the encouragement!

I've been looking at some study materials. What recommendations would you give regarding which materials work and which ones don't?

Dreams of a moonlit night Yuuchun has a reputation beyond repute Yuuchun has a reputation beyond repute Yuuchun has a reputation beyond repute Yuuchun has a reputation beyond repute Yuuchun has a reputation beyond repute Yuuchun has a reputation beyond repute Yuuchun has a reputation beyond repute Yuuchun has a reputation beyond repute Yuuchun has a reputation beyond repute Yuuchun has a reputation beyond repute Yuuchun has a reputation beyond repute Yuuchun's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Cookie Green Tea Coke
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-08-2014 10:49 PM
    Threads

Well my family is of Japanese ethnicity so I was always exposed to the Japanese language but I was raised in a different country so I never grew up speaking Japanese. As I grew up of course I became interested in Japan's culture and language...so like most of us here anime, jpop and what not became one of my biggest interests and at first I learned perhaps the foundation by just listening and watching things in Japanese that were subtitled. After years of doing so I began understanding more and more, but I wanted to know more and so I began taking classes and so now I can understand 40%~50% of conversations that are not too complicated. I also wanted to learn because its part of my family's culture.
    Original art by Wanmeishala
    Graphic set by Seung-li

Passed between dreams and reality and disappeared like an illusion
    Because the moon that day was too far and my memory was vague

Please visit
    FanfictionRPGs: The School of Seven TowersTumblr

Moderator Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts Moon Crescent Wand Wine Kangaroo
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 04:32 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

This guy has some interesting tips http://www.japanesethroughanime.com/

For my course we use a text book called 'Japanese for busy people' or if you can afford it, Rosetta Stone is apparently very good.

Dreams of a moonlit night Yuuchun has a reputation beyond repute Yuuchun has a reputation beyond repute Yuuchun has a reputation beyond repute Yuuchun has a reputation beyond repute Yuuchun has a reputation beyond repute Yuuchun has a reputation beyond repute Yuuchun has a reputation beyond repute Yuuchun has a reputation beyond repute Yuuchun has a reputation beyond repute Yuuchun has a reputation beyond repute Yuuchun has a reputation beyond repute Yuuchun's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Oh I forgot to say~ The textbook that I use in my class is called Genki (2nd edition). It comes with a textbook, workbook and a audio cd. It's not that expensive and it really does a good job at explaining things...lol the only complaint I have is the absurd things they have their characters do...but other than that it's a pretty descent book. Also by the way if you have an iPod/iPhone you might want to download Kotoba! it's quite of an app and its free. It's a dictionary from Japanese to English and English to Japanese, although it might be good to have a basic idea of the word your searching for because the app will show even outdated words that aren't used anymore. It also has a kanji function that teaches you the strokes, meanings and etc. Quite useful app ^^v
    Last edited by Yuuchun; 03-15-2012 at 02:11 AM.
    Graphic set by Seung-li

Please visit

8. Thanks NihongoMaster thanked for this post
    Junior Member egosha1381 is on a distinguished road egosha1381's Avatar
    Gil
    Innocent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-15-2012 07:22 AM
    Threads

thx a good tool

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Yuuchun View Post
    Oh I forgot to say~ The textbook that I use in my class is called Genki (2nd edition). It comes with a textbook, workbook and a audio cd. It's not that expensive and it really does a good job at explaining things...lol the only complaint I have is the absurd things they have their characters do...but other than that it's a pretty descent book. Also by the way if you have an iPod/iPhone you might want to download Kotoba! it's quite of an app and its free. It's a dictionary from Japanese to English and English to Japanese, although it might be good to have a basic idea of the word your searching for because the app will show even outdated words that aren't used anymore. It also has a kanji function that teaches you the strokes, meanings and etc. Quite useful app ^^v
    Thanks so much for the recommendations! Yeah, I've heard so much about Genki that it's definitely my first stop when it comes to a study book! I'll check this Kotoba thing out! Thanks so much!

Also, I'm a little jealous that it's part of your family's culture. It's much easier to learn if your environment is immersive. Not to mention, it's probably awesome to be part of a culture that has so many fans!

---------- Post added at 04:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by egosha1381 View Post
    thx a good tool
    Super glad you like it! I personally think it's fun just because of the sample sentences. Being able to see how a word is used in the context of a sentence helps with getting a "feel" for the meanings of a word. Also, not having the romaji so handy forces me to learn things quickly XD

Gil
    Tired
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Ahahaha the only thing that will help you is getting accustomed to Japanese manners such as bowing and etc. But for the language itself...unless its spoken in the household you don't have that much of an advantage over other students. But thank you ^^v

Btw I found this site a long time ago when I use to do little translations here and there. It basically romanizes Japanese, Chinese and Korean characters...although because Japanese kanji has multiple readings you'd have to know which reading your looking for. But none of the less a useful tool when you don't know the character LOL...quite handy when studying kanji.

http://www.kawa.net/works/perl/roman...an-demo-e.html
    Last edited by Yuuchun; 03-15-2012 at 04:55 AM.
    Graphic set by Seung-li

Please visit

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    rmaroney has much to be proud of rmaroney has much to be proud of rmaroney has much to be proud of rmaroney has much to be proud of rmaroney has much to be proud of rmaroney has much to be proud of rmaroney has much to be proud of rmaroney has much to be proud of rmaroney's Avatar
    Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-17-2017 05:04 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: rmaroney

I know it has been a while since the last post, but I thought you might be interested in this site:

http://www.jisho.org

It allows you to look up words in either English or Japanese, search for kanji by entering them if you have it (for meanings) or by entering a reading or dictionary code if you know those (such as SKIP), searching by radicals as well as a section filled with example sentences. I hope it helps out with your learning!

13. Likes Mugiwara-no-Basuke liked this post
    Junior Member Misheru Haruno is on a distinguished road Misheru Haruno's Avatar
    Gil
    Blah
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-27-2016 09:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

wow. sounds like ima try that. XD

Junior Member azu25 is on a distinguished road azu25's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-20-2012 07:22 AM
    Threads

I started a while ago but language learning has never been a strong point of mine. I have about a dozen books and have loads of audio tracks from Pimsleur and Japanesepod101 which help alot, but i'm still quite slow.
    I just want to be able to watch anime in japanese without subs and to be able to have a conversation in japanese when i go there in a couple of years.

Back To Business ~> Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts One Piece Flag Soul Eater Shinigami-sama Naruto Sharingan
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-26-2012 02:33 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I really really love japanese and would definetely like to learn it, I know some words and stuff from animes as I assume everybody who watches it knows but I'm starting to take it more seriously.
    Besides beinng trying to understand and memorize kanji I just remembered that I have some CDs teaching japanese for some years ago (got them free in a portuguese newspaper, how lucky, hum? ), and they're great! They're from eurotalk.com (the one I'm taking is called "Talk Now! Beginners"), and in the cover of the CD says this is the CD-ROM language learning most selled in the world.
    It's really awesome, it has voice recording for you to compared your speak with actual japanese, vocabulary with images and kanji, software for iTunes/MP3, some tests for helping you to memorize things and some more stuff, I'm really motivated with it!

"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough."
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
    "Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    "I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details."
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge."

Junior Member Wes1378 is on a distinguished road Wes1378's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-03-2012 02:43 AM
    Threads

There are so many great places to study. I use several sites online all the time. I also have a You Tube channel where I try and share different study resources and do some lessons with the help of native or fluent Japanese speakers. Please swing by and say hello and I will link you to as many online resources as you want.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GengoNoTabi?feature=mhee

Senior Member Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-27-2013 05:08 PM
    Threads

One of the things I do as far as learning Japanese is to just study my Japanese by the book and then try to see how much I can understand when listening to Japanese in anime. Bcuz with listening, there is a big difference between knowing how it is said and then being able to actually recognize it when it is said by someone.

Also, always texting my Japanese friend in Japanese also helps too.
    Last edited by Ayu 「あゆ」; 07-22-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Member Sankyo Sentina is on a distinguished road Sankyo Sentina's Avatar
    Gil
    Aggressive
    Gifts Red Dango Clannad Botan Orange Dango
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-26-2013 03:36 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gamervaughn

Oh, look what i found, a japanese language forum. Anyway, Japanese is my first language and if anyone wants to learn the language they really should do it. Moving to japan really helps, but of course not everyone can do that.

Senior Member ms.Purdy has much to be proud of ms.Purdy has much to be proud of ms.Purdy has much to be proud of ms.Purdy has much to be proud of ms.Purdy has much to be proud of ms.Purdy has much to be proud of ms.Purdy has much to be proud of ms.Purdy has much to be proud of ms.Purdy has much to be proud of ms.Purdy's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-27-2013 03:20 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

it was easy i had japanese class back in 3rd grade then she left to have a baby then we had stupid spanish class stupid ugly teacher
    i always feel iike somebodys watching me

Member seoulhime31 has a reputation beyond repute seoulhime31 has a reputation beyond repute seoulhime31 has a reputation beyond repute seoulhime31 has a reputation beyond repute seoulhime31 has a reputation beyond repute seoulhime31 has a reputation beyond repute seoulhime31 has a reputation beyond repute seoulhime31 has a reputation beyond repute seoulhime31 has a reputation beyond repute seoulhime31 has a reputation beyond repute seoulhime31 has a reputation beyond repute seoulhime31's Avatar
    Gil
    Bashful
    Gifts Flowers Fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-13-2012 01:55 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Everything started with the original movie of Ah! My Goddess... That is how I started out.

Mad Genius AkanoYoru has a brilliant future AkanoYoru has a brilliant future AkanoYoru has a brilliant future AkanoYoru has a brilliant future AkanoYoru has a brilliant future AkanoYoru has a brilliant future AkanoYoru has a brilliant future AkanoYoru has a brilliant future AkanoYoru has a brilliant future AkanoYoru has a brilliant future AkanoYoru has a brilliant future AkanoYoru's Avatar
    Gil
    Blah
    Gifts Rageface Headphones Pocket Watch
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-22-2022 08:50 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DementedStereo Steam ID: Aakanoyoru

Had a small Japanese unit-type thing in first grade, then it sorta slowly festered under the surface until I discovered Spice and Wolf. After watching so many inspiring stories afterwards I decided to start studying Japanese to see what sort of stuff influences the Japanese contemporary media I've enjoyed so that I may apply it to my own works.
    Example: the concept of raising a child to be a perfect wife (I have heard of games and such with such a premise, yes?) dates back to the Tale of Genji. Oh Genji, you so silly.

Junior Member Yuki457 will become famous soon enough Yuki457's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Gifts Crates
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-05-2013 10:19 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Yuki-457 Steam ID: Yuki457

I learned through Anime and Video Games,

Gameboy games for hiragana/katakana moving upto n64/ps1 for kanji.
    I learned Hiragana/katakana pretty much completely while spending a week playing Zelda:Link's Awakening (ゼルダの伝説:夢を見る島). I feel it's all about sticking with it for long enough for it to have an impact. Short term memory is easy (see flash-cards) but long-term memory is what's hard and where it matters. 4 hours a day for a week > 30min a day for a month in my opinion and experience.

I saterted learning it because my school demanded 2 languages at GCSE and I couldn't stand french, now I mostly use it to play games a year before they are released here and for Anime (which is funny because I started Anime to help learn Japanese...).

I have an app on my ipod touch called "Japanese" which has a kinda red background that is very good as a dictionary / memopad.
    There is also another app called 漢字忍者 (Kanji Ninja) you can get on android and apple which is used by japanese children to learn the kanji. (just choose japanese keyboard and type it into the app store with kana and choose the auto-complete kanji).

Junior Member yapparyu is on a distinguished road yapparyu's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-26-2013 07:26 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by NihongoMaster View Post
    First off, here, have a dictionary! We won't tell anyone what words you look up...>.>

http://www.nihongomaster.com

So I'm interested in learning Japanese. How did you guys start? What made you want to learn?
    Well, I started by watching Anime, believe it or not. That was my key to learning from then on. I was a huge fan of the Japanese culture, and I loved the food, language, etc.

Junior Member ramblinq is on a distinguished road ramblinq's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2013 12:31 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Hi all,
    This is a site that I've just started putting together for exactly this purpose.

www.japaneseanimelanguageclass.com

I hope that anyone with an interest in Learning Japanese from Anime will check it out and get involved.

Member WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry's Avatar
    Gil
    Nerdy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-18-2013 07:11 AM
    Threads

I have been studying Japanese for a long time (my sensei says there is no end to learning, haha). But I also teach basic Japanese part time.
    The reason why I studied was because I wanted to watch Jdorama in the original language. Yep, Jdorama not films, not anime. I know, I'm weird that way.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Akiosama is on a distinguished road Akiosama's Avatar
    Gil
    Sick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-15-2020 02:06 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

This is also another good dictionary site - http://wwwjdic.com/

It's a dictionary that's partnered up with a freeware Japanese Word Processing program called JWPce (which can be found here), and is a very good starting point for an electronic dictionary.

As far as texts go, get one you feel comfortable with. I personally liked the Learn Japanese series (4 volumes) published by the University of Hawaii. It's presented fairly simply, grammar lessions are clear, and it addresses some of the cultural and contextual issues of Japanese, and spends a great deal of time in the fourth book on Keigo - the Japanese variations of language based on social stature and situation.

The key to a good Japanese text, to me, is how fast it weans you off of Romaji, and starts you on Kana and Kanji with much of the lesson material being presented in Japanese rather than Romanized Japanese. I don't believe that one can effectively learn to speak Japanese without understanding the written language as well. Perhaps it's possible, but I think it's probably much harder, and you'd still only know a portion of the whole language.

Don't short change yourself. If you're going to learn Japanese, learn all parts of it - spoken and written, including Kanji. It all works together and will be much easier to understand if all parts are available for use.

My 2 yen,

Akiosama

Member WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry's Avatar
    Gil
    Nerdy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-18-2013 07:11 AM
    Threads

A lot of smartphone dictionary apps now use the WWWJDIC. So if you wish to study on the move and you don't have any internet connection, an offline dictionary app will be handy. i currently use imiwa (I think it used to be called Kotoba). ^_^

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information