AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Manhwa

Senior Member Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Orange Dango Bioshock Eve Soul Eater Logo
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-06-2012 05:34 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Manhwa

Though most of you are familiar with manga and anime I don't think many have read manhwa.
    Manhwa is the same as Japanese manga and Chinese manhua but made usually in South Korea. Unlike manga, it's normally read from left to right like an American comic and is usually one long page that you scroll down but it's common for the English translations to have an option to view in traditional comic style with around 25 pages.
    Professional authors will also usually provide their works freely online. One of the sites I browse for manhwa is Naver comics (Naver is the South Korean Google, I'm pretty sure) and they also have a feature that allows amateur authors to publish their own works that rise in categories as it becomes more popular.
    Some popular manhwa include
    Goong

Noblesse

Immortal Regis

So if you ever feel like you've reached the bottom of your to-watch or to-read list for anime and manga give a try to manhwa since you probably won't regret it, they are also all in colour for an added bonus and some have beautiful art.
    For those that already read manhwa, feel free to post your favorites!
    My favorite manhwa right now include
    Tower of God

Tower of God was created by SIU (Slave in Utero) who is my favorite manhwa author and if you read his interviews is also very funny. It is implied that he is a uni student.
    Tower of God is also the first addition to the TUS (Talse Uzer Story) Universe

A Fairytale for the Demon Lord

Created by Kim Yong-Hwan, this story has beautiful art. I consider it a tragedy and you just feel sorry for the hero. Norse mythology is heavily incorporated into it. It might be a bit hard to understand the story but the author promised to explain everything in the sequel.

City of Dead Sorcerer

A pretty new manga that is showing good promise. Created by 김칸비_팀 겟네임 (Team Getname) it has an anti-hero as a protagonist that unlike most actually shows emotions and is affected by occurrences that actually lets you relate to him even though he makes questionable decisions (that's what makes us human right?).

The original webcomics are available freely (by the author) below
    Tower of God
    A Fairytale for the Demon Lord
    City of Dead Sorcerer
    I won't post the links to the English translations because it's sometimes incorporated with manga and I don't want Gjallarhorn getting angry with me again .
    Sorry for the lengthy OP but I feel this is one genre of comics that contains excellent stories and art but is often hidden from most manga/anime fans.
    Senjougahara Fascination

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Default Re: Manhwa

I've read a few over the years. Notable were:

Unbalance x Unbalance, which recently wrapped up after a long hiatus. Follows a rather complicated student-teacher romance, somewhat reminiscent of 90s harem series, minus most of the harem.

Shin Angyo Onshi is a fantasy series that follows a man formerly of a secret-police type of order that gives its members supernatural medallions to be used for hunting down and punishing the unjust. The king of the country is killed and the country and order fall apart, and the protagonist hunts down the man who killed the king.

Ares is a war epic, blended with a bit of shounen, with the violence cranked up to 11. It follows a boy named Ares (in a world that's a sort of hybrid of Ancient Rome and Medieval Europe, but with a more modern culture) as he joins a group called the Temple Mercenaries, which serve the Kingdom of Chronos, and several of the friends he makes there: Baroona, Michael, and Gohu. It's hard to adequately explain the plot without giving too much away, but the story covers several years of Ares' life, during which he serves in 3 wars - one offensive and two in defense of Chronos. It is less of a story about characters, and more of a story about...well...a story. Despite being combat heavy, it never falls into any of the standard shounen tropes (constant power ups, fighting for recognition, zero-to-hero, etc.). It falls in among the best manga I've read.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Senior Member Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gjallarhorn View Post
    I've read a few over the years. Notable were:

Unbalance x Unbalance, which recently wrapped up after a long hiatus. Follows a rather complicated student-teacher romance, somewhat reminiscent of 90s harem series, minus most of the harem.

Shin Angyo Onshi is a fantasy series that follows a man formerly of a secret-police type of order that gives its members supernatural medallions to be used for hunting down and punishing the unjust. The king of the country is killed and the country and order fall apart, and the protagonist hunts down the man who killed the king.

Ares is a war epic, blended with a bit of shounen, with the violence cranked up to 11. It follows a boy named Ares (in a world that's a sort of hybrid of Ancient Rome and Medieval Europe, but with a more modern culture) as he joins a group called the Temple Mercenaries, which serve the Kingdom of Chronos, and several of the friends he makes there: Baroona, Michael, and Gohu. It's hard to adequately explain the plot without giving too much away, but the story covers several years of Ares' life, during which he serves in 3 wars - one offensive and two in defense of Chronos. It is less of a story about characters, and more of a story about...well...a story. Despite being combat heavy, it never falls into any of the standard shounen tropes (constant power ups, fighting for recognition, zero-to-hero, etc.). It falls in among the best manga I've read.
    Will check them out. Ares is particular sound really awesome. I like it when manga and manhwa incorporate or allude to mythology so it's a big plus for me.
    Senjougahara Fascination

Senior Member SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR's Avatar
    Gil
    Happy
    Gifts One Piece Mugiwara
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-15-2013 08:13 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Overlord3k

You should check out The God of High School altho I believe it is a webtoon. While I have not read that far since it started I plan on catching up this week.
    It currently is like 2 chapters into season 2. Plus everyone I hear talking about it says it is really good.

Also been thinking of catching up to Noblesse for a while now. I have read like the first 10-15 chapters and it was interesting. I also hear a lot of good things can't wait to see what is ahead.

Tower of God and A Fairytale for the Demon Lord have been in my plan to watch for a long time probably time I gave them a read also.

I will check out some of these other ones also.
    Last edited by SpeaR; 02-17-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Senior Member LadySaphiraShijinuske has a reputation beyond repute LadySaphiraShijinuske has a reputation beyond repute LadySaphiraShijinuske has a reputation beyond repute LadySaphiraShijinuske has a reputation beyond repute LadySaphiraShijinuske has a reputation beyond repute LadySaphiraShijinuske has a reputation beyond repute LadySaphiraShijinuske has a reputation beyond repute LadySaphiraShijinuske has a reputation beyond repute LadySaphiraShijinuske has a reputation beyond repute LadySaphiraShijinuske has a reputation beyond repute LadySaphiraShijinuske has a reputation beyond repute LadySaphiraShijinuske's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Notebook Kawaiislice
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-18-2013 12:55 PM
    Threads

The only Manhwa (Manhua?) I've ever read was a series called CHOCOLAT. It was super cute. Anyone read it?

<3 Saphira

Member macedadon has a reputation beyond repute macedadon has a reputation beyond repute macedadon has a reputation beyond repute macedadon has a reputation beyond repute macedadon has a reputation beyond repute macedadon has a reputation beyond repute macedadon has a reputation beyond repute macedadon has a reputation beyond repute macedadon has a reputation beyond repute macedadon has a reputation beyond repute macedadon has a reputation beyond repute macedadon's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Gifts Bleach Zangetsu
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-08-2013 09:44 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: D3F 8R1NG3R PSN ID: Massacre-Mace

One of the top manhwa/manhua out right now the one and only:

-The Breaker.
    -The Breaker New Waves. (Sequal)

Gil
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SpeaR View Post
    You should check out The God of High School altho I believe it is a webtoon. While I have not read that far since it started I plan on catching up this week.
    It currently is like 2 chapters into season 2. Plus everyone I hear talking about it says it is really good.
    I keep on seeing The God of High School in the popular series tab but for some reason never really started reading it. Probably will pick it up now.

Quote Originally Posted by LadySaphiraShijinuske View Post
    The only Manhwa (Manhua?) I've ever read was a series called CHOCOLAT. It was super cute. Anyone read it?

<3 Saphira
    I might have briefly skimmed someone discussing about it. It doesn't take too long to read manhwa so I'll definitely check this one out also.

Quote Originally Posted by macedadon View Post
    One of the top manhwa/manhua out right now the one and only:

-The Breaker.
    -The Breaker New Waves. (Sequal)
    Just read synopsis. Sounds awesome also added to read list haha
    Senjougahara Fascination

Senior Member John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Gifts Mars Crystal Henshin Pen Rainbow Ribbon Sagittarius
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-17-2014 12:03 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I've read at least two manwhas. Theyre pretty good. Lolz, funny too.

The Summit
    My Lovable Fatty

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

So I am currently reading Noblesse, Jack Frost and The Breaker.

I am really digging manhwa.

Senior Member wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts PPG Bubbles Aria Neko
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-22-2014 04:34 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: wizzadoo

atm following only 2 ... Avatar and Book of Dreams ...

Senior Member plumpuff has a reputation beyond repute plumpuff has a reputation beyond repute plumpuff has a reputation beyond repute plumpuff has a reputation beyond repute plumpuff has a reputation beyond repute plumpuff has a reputation beyond repute plumpuff has a reputation beyond repute plumpuff has a reputation beyond repute plumpuff has a reputation beyond repute plumpuff has a reputation beyond repute plumpuff has a reputation beyond repute plumpuff's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-10-2012 12:24 PM
    Threads

The only one I've ever read was Ragnarok... but apparently it's never going to be finished. :c

I've also read one manhua (1/2 Prince) and thought it was pretty good, but yeah.

Member Purple Angel has a reputation beyond repute Purple Angel has a reputation beyond repute Purple Angel has a reputation beyond repute Purple Angel has a reputation beyond repute Purple Angel has a reputation beyond repute Purple Angel has a reputation beyond repute Purple Angel has a reputation beyond repute Purple Angel has a reputation beyond repute Purple Angel has a reputation beyond repute Purple Angel has a reputation beyond repute Purple Angel has a reputation beyond repute Purple Angel's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts Gurren Boota Aria Neko Tsubasa Mokona
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-02-2012 04:07 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SpeaR View Post

Also been thinking of catching up to Noblesse for a while now. I have read like the first 10-15 chapters and it was interesting. I also hear a lot of good things can't wait to see what is ahead.

Tower of God and A Fairytale for the Demon Lord have been in my plan to watch for a long time probably time I gave them a read also.

I will check out some of these other ones also.
    Let me know if God of High School is good
    I've been reading Tower of God and I love it! I admit it can first of all get repetitive, vaguely reflecting similarities to that of the Liar Game and similar mangas but once you get further into the end of volume 1 it gets really good!
    ---
    A cute shoujo Manhwa Ive been reading is Pink Lady, it is adorable!

Purple Angel

Senior Member SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR's Avatar
    Gil
    Happy
    Gifts One Piece Mugiwara
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-15-2013 08:13 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Overlord3k

It is pretty good I hear it isn't as good as Noblesse but don't take my word for it since I am only around chapter 60 of Noblesse. God of High School is currently pretty awesome with the recent fights worth giving a shot.
    I should get around to reading Tower of God I hear a lot of good things about it. (similarities with Liar Game I didn't know that well that just makes me want to read it more )

I recently read Melo Holic. It isn't a manhwa but a webcomic and it was pretty good.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information