AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battle of the Month February Phase 1 Results

Saved Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices's Avatar
    Gil
    Bashful
    Gifts Telescope Baka Be Mine
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-21-2014 10:13 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Default Battle of the Month February Phase 1 Results

Battle of the Month Phase 1 Results

Theme: Freedom

Tatty vs. kyoshiro20

Tatty:

Judge 1:Tatty has a very, very nice signature. The signature does a very good job with text, colours, etc. The only problem that I think is wrong with the signature is it seems to represent censorship more than the actually theme but it's still decent for the theme, the girl stock could have been also changed, I don't see how she would be censored?

Judge 2: It's unique, different, expressive, and of course, very impressive. I believe between the two, this one is the most powerful in the way that it shows the real meaning of what freedom is. And it doesn't only focus on freedom of doing whatever you want, but to express and say what you need to say. Not only with "freedom of speech", showing that particular "freedom" in art. In other words, I can see that you used this theme to portray it with the censorship in your signature, followed by doing your own creative way to show us, the people, what you see or view freedom as. I like it a lot. I understood what your point is when you do it. Now, for me to judge in your artwork itself... it's very alive, very vibrant, only thing I do not like is in the left corner. I have to lower my light so that my eyes doesn't get hurt from looking at it. haha It looks all 3D, it's clever when you do it at that style (I hope I got it right), but it made me feel dizzy if I stare too long. Well done.

Judge 3: You and your awesome typography. Lovely colors, compo, and contrast makes it stand out. awesome text is awesome as well. I can't actually point out anything irritating, so I'll give it a 5/5.

kyoshiro20:

Judge 1: The sig is okay, the text is too huge though. I understand how it represents freedom but what if someone doesn't know who Captain America is? It would be nice if freedom or something was on it. The background is weirdly mixed, red and blue aren't pretty together, the C4Ds used are also really strong. The signature is decent though.

Judge 2: I guess when you think of freedom, you immediately thought of Captain America. It seems a little too predictable, but I guess it works. It's okay to the eyes, unlike Tatty, your signature is controlled in brightness. Unfortunately I don't like how scattered your C4Ds are, followed by the placement of your typography for animegalleries.net because I think you have nowhere else to place it, and it was a last minute action I assume? I wish there was more, and you get a little less comments because I would think someone could of do something like what you did with your signature, and number two, it seems disorganized a little. Unlike Tatty, his was well coordinated, organized, AMAZING typography, meaningful, and attention-grabbing.

Judge 3: Liking the colors, but I don't think it fits with the theme too well. I can see Captain America as a sort of freedom idol, but I think of him more as a soldier than actual freedom. Depth is a little weird and the C4D's are messy. A good attempt, but I think things could be better next time.

All three judges voted Tatty.

Seung-li vs. Marudashi

Seung-li:

Judge 1: Seung does a great job at making the signature beautiful. The thing I don't like is how freedom is all gone, it's supposed to be about freedom not freedom taken away from someone but the character does look like she would take away freedom so it's still decent. The background is lovely and nothing seems to be cluttered, everything is nice and clean.

Judge 2: The signature is very well done but I don't really see the theme represented in it. Technical wise, this is beautifully done. The background color helps blend the piece nicely and I love the subtle Japanese. As much as I usually don't like overlays, this one helps to give a sort of calm feeling to the piece.

Judge 3: Loving the contrast as usual. Colors are nice, text is cool, but I don't see freedom reflected in the entry too much. From her expression it looks like she might be fleeing something, but I dunno. Don't get me wrong, this is a great sig, it just doesn't have enough freedom in it.

Marudashi:

Judge 1: Maru does a good job at keeping the sig simple, maybe too simple though. The sig could also do without the grass like things in the bottom left, most grass doesn't grow that high. I like the choice of words though and the effects used on the signature, good job.

Judge 2: This one also doesn't represent the theme very well, but personally I believe it represents it better than Seung's. I'm actually a bit torn between this piece. Part me of wants to say you need more but the other part of me likes the minimal feel of the sig. I do like how the text is blended in by way of lighting.

Judge 3: Liking the colors and concept on this one. The balance however seems...off. I find myself torn between two focal points; Miku (i think?), and the text. The text itself could use a little work, but the effects look good and everything else seems to be in order. Another thing I'd like to point out is that even though she's looking out at something (The sea I assume), it looks like she's staring at a wall because of the texture in the background. It kind of ruined the depth.

Judge 1 and 3 voted for Seung-li and Judge 2 voted for Marudashi.

Garzhvog vs. Avido:

Garzhvog:

Judge 1: Hyphen does an okay job, I expected more out of him though, it just looked like he made this signature in 10 minutes at most, still pretty good for that amount of time but not the best. Nothing more to say here.

Judge 2: It's so... cute, happy, and very artsy. It's also a very colourful signature, no doubt about it. I do say it's a very well composition signature, the balance is wonderful, and very unique. Simple, ordinary, appealing to the eye. I would expect a little more with it because you're clever with certain things when you do BOTM. Unlike Avido... I'll be very frank and honest. I like both of them equally. Hard to point out a flaw. haha

Judge 3: It takes a while, but I can see the theme in this one. I like the real aspects combined with the unreal aspects. The blending is nice, but I'm disappointed in the text. "Freedom" is nice, but "sweet" feels odd in there, and you just threw AG.net in there without really thinking about placement.

Avido:

Judge 1: Avido did a wonderful job with blending, text, and well you name it. I don't see any flaws and it goes with the theme but that's probably because I know the anime, what would others think?

Judge 2: Different concept, it's pretty much monochrome-like, interesting composition, and balance. The depth of your signature is great and it's just stunning and beautiful. Expressive words "break free" grabs my attention most. The simplicity is easy for the eyes and it looks like a real animegalleries.net worthy of a signature. And as I said, I'll be darn honest now... between the two I have to find yours more appealing to me, even though I just love the two. It's hard finding a flaw. Darn. :c

Judge 3: The signature flows nicely as well as the colors. The blue feels off to me, as it is bright and just attracts attention away from the character. I can see the C4D in there and it doesn't look very well blended. I do like the text though. I'd like to see AG.net in the same font as "Break free", but otherwise looks nice.

Judge 1 and 2 voted for Avido and Judge 3 voted for Garzhvog.

Xanfiore vs. Takenoshin

Xanfiore:

Judge 1: Xanfiore does a decent job but the signature looks pretty generic, like if it followed a really popular tutorial or something. I don't like the background on it though, it looks empty and unpleasing to the eye, you should have used a different colour than pink to go on the blue.

Judge 2: Signature isn't empty, it feels complete and I can see a lot more done in the signature.

Judge 3: I like what you did with the text on this one. Blue and purple have always been a sort of soft spot on me. A simple vector-styled sig, and it works. But again, like the rest (or rather most) of the entries, I don't see any freedom. That aside, it's a pretty solid tag; colors are good, text, effects, all look nice and not too distracting or overpowering.

Takenoshin:

Judge 1: Takenoshin's signature also looks generic. The text is too blurred, it should be standing out more. The girl also looks like she was just pasted in there and was there to match the background, try to get the character to blend more.

Judge 2: Lovely signature but it does feel empty and you could of went crazy with your signature. Simple is beautiful, and it doesn't always have to be done so much. Type is great, too, wish it would stand out a bit.

Judge 3: For some reason, I like the text. A simple effect, but it works nonetheless. As with the others, no freedom, blah blah. The colors are nice, however they feel a little too strong. The girl herself is pink now, and I'm not too sure that's the way to go. The background looks kinda tech-ish as well, which doesn't really fit the girl or the theme. All-in-all, it's not a bad one though.

Judge 1 voted for Takenoshin and Judges 2 and 3 voted for Xanfiore.

Daken vs. Blueangel06661

Daken:

Judge 1: The first thing I noticed is how the character just looks pasted in there, try to make her look like she belongs in that background. I also don't like the text. What I did love was the background, it was well made but unfortunately the most important parts were more leftout.

Judge 2: Opposite of Blueangel, it's soft, serene, and peaceful looking. It doesn't show much for freedom and it seems so empty. Between your signature and her's, I prefer yours more because I can just read it right away. But I have to go with what I feel best with.

Judge 3: I like the style you went with on this one. The text looks good too, however the "animegalleries.net" is a little hard to read. Same thing with no freedom again, but meh whatever. The low contrast looks good with this type of sig, and the lighting looks nice. Somehow the size looks good too. There are a few oversharpened parts, and the depth is a little weird, but a good sig as well.

Blueangel:

Judge 1: Blue does a great job, Miku (is that Miku with red hair, I can't tell) looks like she just escaped a horrible torture or institute or something. I looked at the signature and thought immediately of freedom, the rest of the sig is also well done. The thing I didn't like about it is the render repeating again, I know it would empty without it but I think it would still look better.

Judge 2: Creative, bold, and very powerful looking image you used. I'm not a fan of the type because it's smashed against each other. Great focal-point, too and it just looks powerful.

Judge 3: Loving the text, colors, and border. It feels a bit dark, emotionally, but that's neither here nor there. As with the test of them the same thing with Freedom and such, although from the text, she could be fighting for freedom...which is why it feels kind of dark? Idk, I look too deeply into things sometimes. Anyway, I like the effects on this one, especially the use of scanlines. Only things I dislike is that it feels just a tad over-contrasted and the pink swirl thingy on the left side stands out a little much compared to the rest of it.

All three judges voted for blueangel.

Thanks to everyone who entered! Those who will be moving on to the next round:
    @tatty
    @Seung-li
    @Avido
    @Xanfiore
    @blueangel06661

Sig by Feferi <3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
    -Mark Twain

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2021 05:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

Default Re: Battle of the Month February Phase 1 Results

I can never win, can I? One round I lost because my piece didnt fit the theme quite as well as the other, despite the quality. Now apparently its vice-versa. I really wish the judges were consistent in their critiquing.

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    (:| |: )
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

Fuchsia Ruler Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah's Avatar
    Gil
    Sassy
    Gifts Heart Pisces Double Bento
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2016 06:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by MaruDashi View Post
    I can never win, can I? One round I lost because my piece didnt fit the theme quite as well as the other, despite the quality. Now apparently its vice-versa. I really wish the judges were consistent in their critiquing.
    I can get what you mean, I can honestly say I thought I wouldn't make it because yours fit through the whole category. I thought that this month's theme would be my downfall because, I dunno. Let's say I sort of BS'd it. I really love your signature a lot, I adore most of the meaning of it and it's always winner look to me. <3

Senior Member kyoshiro20 has a reputation beyond repute kyoshiro20 has a reputation beyond repute kyoshiro20 has a reputation beyond repute kyoshiro20 has a reputation beyond repute kyoshiro20 has a reputation beyond repute kyoshiro20 has a reputation beyond repute kyoshiro20 has a reputation beyond repute kyoshiro20 has a reputation beyond repute kyoshiro20 has a reputation beyond repute kyoshiro20 has a reputation beyond repute kyoshiro20 has a reputation beyond repute kyoshiro20's Avatar
    Gil
    Bahahaha
    Gifts Gurren Boota
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-05-2019 07:40 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'm not surprised I lost, I knew my competition would win as soon as I saw it, and I'm not mad. Congratulations to all.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information