AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

View Poll Results: legalize pot

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    28 71.79%
  • no

    11 28.21%
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 88

Thread: legalize pot?

  1. #26
    GOTTA GO FAST
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama's Avatar
    Gil
    67,833,999,526.52
    Gender
    My Mood
    Where
    Gifts Hedgehog Hedgehog Hedgehog
    Mentioned
    812 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-20-2014 06:45 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Court of Miracles
    Threads
    18
    Posts
    3,722
    AL Lyrics
    68
    Rep Power
    2145
    Gamer IDs

    XFIRE ID: FunkyFresh123

    Default Re: legalize pot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlgrym View Post
    who does something ONLY because it's legal if they have no interest in it at all??
    people who wanna smoke, smoke. they all ready do it, doesn't matter if it's legal or not. people who don't wanna smoke, don't smoke.
    some people try it a few times, and decide it's not for them...pres Clinton anyone?
    Lol. I never said everyone will start smoking it just because it's legal. However there ARE people who will. There are people that DO have an interest in it, but don't have access to it. If it were to become legal and readily available, then yes, more people would smoke it because guess what? It's legal and easier to come by. Of course, those that don't have an interest in it now will most likely never develop an interest whether it's legal or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlgrym View Post
    check this out. make sure you at least watch from 1:50 to the end.

    i'm not a huge ron paul fan, but i thought he nailed it here.
    You do realize that I'm not an advocate to keep marijuana illegal, right? I specifically said that I would prefer if it were decriminalized. Although it's kinda ridiculous to say that regulating drugs could in turn cause the government to start regulating every aspect of our lives.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlgrym View Post
    there you go stereo-typing again. we all know that intelligent people stay away from drugs, right?? only dumb people use drugs :P
    Again, lol. I never said only stupid people use drugs. However, I'm quite sure that more people that smoke marijuana and other drugs are less likely to have PhDs. Or am I mistaken? Also, those that have more time on their hands as opposed to those who are already preoccupied with a busy job or a family are more likely to. Again, tell me if I'm wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlgrym View Post
    obviously we would have an age limit, just like we do with alcohol. it wouldn't be legal for a 13 year old to smoke it.
    Yes of course there would be an age limit if it were legalized. That goes without saying. But there are ways around the restrictions. Don't tell me you've never met a minor that was capable of getting booze. It's the same way with weed, and it will be even if it's legalized.

    I personally think it's funny how I asked for some sort of statistic, and instead I'm being argued with. Moreover you are putting words in my mouth. I would sincerely appreciate it if you stopped that.

    この壁の外の世界
                 一緒に見てみたい            
    いつか

  2. #27
    Senior Member marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix's Avatar
    Gil
    197.20
    Gender
    My Mood
    Fine
    Gifts Witch Hat Gir Aries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-04-2012 08:45 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Threads
    20
    Posts
    447
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    66

    Default Re: legalize pot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    This. Criminalizing things with a demand just creates a black market that funds organized crime, terrorism, and all sorts of nasty stuff.
    Just like Prohibition did! The mob made oodles of money just by finding people to distill the stuff for them, and they did the rest.

    ---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by RyuTama View Post
    Lol. I never said everyone will start smoking it just because it's legal. However there ARE people who will. There are people that DO have an interest in it, but don't have access to it. If it were to become legal and readily available, then yes, more people would smoke it because guess what? It's legal and easier to come by. Of course, those that don't have an interest in it now will most likely never develop an interest whether it's legal or not.
    Don't mean to start beating a dead horse here, but:

    People tend to do what they want, when they want, how often they want, whether it's legal or not. That is just part of human nature. But I think part of the big thrill some people have for smoking marijuana is because society tells them that it's bad to do so. If the message changed over to "Yes, you can do this, but as long as you do play by the rules of the game, we can't do anything about it." then there will be people who will stop, simply because the thrill of it is gone.

    Quote Originally Posted by RyuTama View Post
    Again, lol. I never said only stupid people use drugs. However, I'm quite sure that more people that smoke marijuana and other drugs are less likely to have PhDs. Or am I mistaken? Also, those that have more time on their hands as opposed to those who are already preoccupied with a busy job or a family are more likely to. Again, tell me if I'm wrong.
    Quite a few people with Ph.D.'s and high-powered jobs smoke weed. If it weren't for mandatory drug tests in lots of places, more would do it just to help themselves relax. My hubby would be one of those. Right now, he goes through like 2 cans of Snus a week! (Not the US manufactured stuff.. The Swedish or wherever it comes from. ) It helps to reduce some the stress and anxiety that he feels through dealing with "stupid people" day in and day out, as well as the strict regulations and rules that come with his job.

    Quote Originally Posted by RyuTama View Post
    Yes of course there would be an age limit if it were legalized. That goes without saying. But there are ways around the restrictions. Don't tell me you've never met a minor that was capable of getting booze. It's the same way with weed, and it will be even if it's legalized.
    Kids will do things they are not supposed to, regardless. It goes back to the forbidden fruit argument. They may not even like drinking/smoking, but will do it anyway because they have been told they can't. Then you have the peer pressure B.S. that goes along with being a teenager. That may in fact be the bigger problem with under-age consumption, but it is not for this argument.

    As for the argument that more will sit on their butts and smoke weed rather than get out there and work, they will have two options: find someone to support their butts while they sit and do nothing productive all day, or become a licensed grower of the stuff. That will be their primary options.
    My Bubblegum Crisis fan-site --> The Bubblegum Crisis Sanctum (a work in progress)

    and my humble blog --> The Writing Desk

    --> My AF album

    Pet Shop Story and Dragon Story ids: webowers, wbowers

  3. #28
    Senior Member Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym's Avatar
    Gil
    4,864.78
    Gender
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-27-2012 11:10 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    34
    Threads
    9
    Posts
    208
    Rep Power
    113
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: pieRESURRECTED

    Default Re: legalize pot?

    Quote Originally Posted by RyuTama View Post
    Lol. I never said everyone will start smoking it just because it's legal. However there ARE people who will. There are people that DO have an interest in it, but don't have access to it. If it were to become legal and readily available, then yes, more people would smoke it because guess what? It's legal and easier to come by. Of course, those that don't have an interest in it now will most likely never develop an interest whether it's legal or not.
    imho it's such a small percentage i highly doubt it would cause massive problems.

    you seem to think that if pot were legal, suddenly huge amounts of people would lose jobs, and i don't agree.
    pot cost money, right?? how are you supposed to buy your legal pot without money??
    if you don't have a job, you don't have money for pot.....or do you think everyone would suddenly turn into a thief too???

    You do realize that I'm not an advocate to keep marijuana illegal, right? I specifically said that I would prefer if it were decriminalized. Although it's kinda ridiculous to say that regulating drugs could in turn cause the government to start regulating every aspect of our lives.
    that's why i said to pay the most attention to 1:50+. i do agree that he takes it to the extreme with the regulation of everything.
    however i liked what he said at the end.

    it's like if rape suddenly became legal, it's not like a huge chunk of our population would say "oh boy, i gotta try that out, it's gonna be awesome"
    i'm sure a few freaks would do it, but far and few between. if you are not into something, then you are not into it.

    Again, lol. I never said only stupid people use drugs. However, I'm quite sure that more people that smoke marijuana and other drugs are less likely to have PhDs. Or am I mistaken? Also, those that have more time on their hands as opposed to those who are already preoccupied with a busy job or a family are more likely to. Again, tell me if I'm wrong.
    i'm sure you are right about the phd thing. however are you implying that without a phd you are somehow less of a person, or lazy?? or are you saying that people without phds are stupid??
    if that's NOT what you are saying, then what's your point??

    also, plenty of people with phds smoke pot. many of the student at harvard even smoke pot.
    hell, one of our presidents smoked pot! the most powerful position an american can possibly attain, was attained by someone who (at the very least tried pot) smoked pot.

    Yes of course there would be an age limit if it were legalized. That goes without saying. But there are ways around the restrictions. Don't tell me you've never met a minor that was capable of getting booze. It's the same way with weed, and it will be even if it's legalized.
    and don't tell me that you've never met a minor that was capable of getting pot now. even with it being illegal.
    i have a 19 year old sister, and she used to tell me that it was easier for kids to get pot than alcohol when she was in highschool.

    the point is, that pot being illegal does not deter people from smoking it, if they want it. so why not make it legal so we can get some tax money.
    esspecially if somthing even worse (alcohol) is already legal.

    I personally think it's funny how I asked for some sort of statistic, and instead I'm being argued with. Moreover you are putting words in my mouth. I would sincerely appreciate it if you stopped that.
    i'm sorry. i don't mean to put words in your mouth, i'm just trying to clarify.
    some of the things you have been saying IMPLY certain things.
    when you say something like "Chances are that the more intelligent employees will know to stay away from it", it IMPLIES that NON-intelligent employees are the ones that WOULDN'T stay away from it. ie:stupid (or non-intelligent) people do drugs.
    Last edited by Gauntlgrym; 01-31-2012 at 03:34 PM.
    "If you talk to God, you are praying. If God talks to you, you have schizophrenia."

  4. #29
    GOTTA GO FAST
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama's Avatar
    Gil
    67,833,999,526.52
    Gender
    My Mood
    Where
    Gifts Hedgehog Hedgehog Hedgehog
    Mentioned
    812 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-20-2014 06:45 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Court of Miracles
    Threads
    18
    Posts
    3,722
    AL Lyrics
    68
    Rep Power
    2145
    Gamer IDs

    XFIRE ID: FunkyFresh123

    Default Re: legalize pot?

    Quote Originally Posted by marvel_phoenix View Post
    Don't mean to start beating a dead horse here, but:

    People tend to do what they want, when they want, how often they want, whether it's legal or not. That is just part of human nature. But I think part of the big thrill some people have for smoking marijuana is because society tells them that it's bad to do so. If the message changed over to "Yes, you can do this, but as long as you do play by the rules of the game, we can't do anything about it." then there will be people who will stop, simply because the thrill of it is gone.
    That's true as well. I know plenty of people who stopped drinking when they turned 21 because of that very reason. Kinda stupid if you ask me but meh.

    Quote Originally Posted by marvel_phoenix View Post
    Quite a few people with Ph.D.'s and high-powered jobs smoke weed. If it weren't for mandatory drug tests in lots of places, more would do it just to help themselves relax. My hubby would be one of those. Right now, he goes through like 2 cans of Snus a week! (Not the US manufactured stuff.. The Swedish or wherever it comes from. ) It helps to reduce some the stress and anxiety that he feels through dealing with "stupid people" day in and day out, as well as the strict regulations and rules that come with his job.
    Mhm, I was just saying that it's more likely. I know a few who smoke and have their master's or a PhD, but then again, I know more non-smokers that do as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by marvel_phoenix View Post
    Kids will do things they are not supposed to, regardless. It goes back to the forbidden fruit argument. They may not even like drinking/smoking, but will do it anyway because they have been told they can't. Then you have the peer pressure B.S. that goes along with being a teenager. That may in fact be the bigger problem with under-age consumption, but it is not for this argument.
    I couldn't agree more. As I mentioned earlier, the whole "if you can't have it, then you want it more" scenario comes into play. If marijuana were legalized and an age restriction were set, chances are a lot more minors would start smoking. If they had been interested in the first place, that is. I'm not saying they'd try it just because they weren't allowed to, but that certainly is a factor in a lot of cases. Moreover, if the parents had easier access to marijuana due to its legalization, then so would the kids.

    Quote Originally Posted by marvel_phoenix View Post
    As for the argument that more will sit on their butts and smoke weed rather than get out there and work, they will have two options: find someone to support their butts while they sit and do nothing productive all day, or become a licensed grower of the stuff. That will be their primary options.
    I've seen both, unfortunately. That or they just scrape by on welfare and all that lovely stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlgrym View Post
    you seem to think that if pot were legal, suddenly huge amounts of people would lose jobs, and i don't agree.
    pot cost money, right?? how are you supposed to buy your legal pot without money??
    if you don't have a job, you don't have money for pot.....or do you think everyone would suddenly turn into a thief too???
    Oh goodie, more words being put into my mouth. No, I don't think everyone would suddenly become raving burglars in order to get their pot fix. I never said that huge amounts of people would lose their jobs, either. Although both are certainly possible, as with any drug. Of course that's only in extreme cases, but nevertheless, you can never rule out the possibility.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlgrym View Post
    it's like if rape suddenly became legal, it's not like a huge chunk of our population would say "oh boy, i gotta try that out, it's gonna be awesome"
    i'm sure a few freaks would do it, but far and few between. if you are not into something, then you are not into it.
    I already agreed with you on that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlgrym View Post
    i'm sure you are right about the phd thing. however are you implying that without a phd you are somehow less of a person, or lazy?? or are you saying that people without phds are stupid??
    if that's NOT what you are saying, then what's your point??
    Nope, I was merely stating a fact that there are less pot smokers with college degrees than non-smokers. I'm not saying they're any more stupid, because I certainly don't think that grades signify someone's intellectual capabilities. Surely, there are some geniuses out there that smoke marijuana, and some idiots that have PhDs. It's not all black and white.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlgrym View Post
    also, plenty of people with phds smoke pot. many of the student at harvard even smoke pot.
    hell, one of our presidents smoked pot! the most powerful position an american can possibly attain, was attained by someone who (at the very least tried pot) smoked pot.
    Wow, good for them. I'm quite sure that there are more students at Harvard that don't smoke, and I'm quite sure that more presidents didn't as well. THAT was my point, which you seem to be missing. Also, let me be clear, I'm NOT saying that everyone who tries marijuana if it is legalized will become lazy, drooling addicts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlgrym View Post
    and don't tell me that you've never met a minor that was capable of getting pot now. even with it being illegal.
    i have a 19 year old sister, and she used to tell me that it was easier for kids to get pot than alcohol when she was in highschool.
    And how much easier do you think it would be for them to get it if pot was legalized and their parents had it all the time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlgrym View Post
    the point is, that pot being illegal does not deter people from smoking it, if they want it. so why not make it legal so we can get some tax money.
    esspecially if somthing even worse (alcohol) is already legal.
    Definitely. But you would think, that if something were legal and therefore more readily available, that more people would buy it. Sure, they can tax it, but I bet the overall price would decrease anyway, since there would be more supply due to the legalization. Again, I'm no expert at Economics, so correct me if I'm wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlgrym View Post
    i'm sorry. i don't mean to put words in your mouth, i'm just trying to clarify.
    some of the things you have been saying IMPLY certain things.
    when you say something like "Chances are that the more intelligent employees will know to stay away from it", it IMPLIES that NON-intelligent employees are the ones that WOULDN'T stay away from it. ie:stupid (or non-intelligent) people do drugs.
    Okay I admit, I worded that badly, and I apologize. I've already clarified that statement though. If you think I'm implying something, then ask for clarification. Don't assume I mean the worst and then attack me for it.

    この壁の外の世界
                 一緒に見てみたい            
    いつか

  5. #30
    Senior Member Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty's Avatar
    Gil
    7,823.77
    Gender
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Gifts Green Saber Storm Trooper Beer
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-20-2012 12:29 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    BC
    Age
    24
    Threads
    31
    Posts
    373
    Blog Entries
    20
    Rep Power
    241
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: MattyG69

    Default Re: legalize pot?

    Sorry, skimmed through most of it, didn't feel like reading for the next hour, lol.

    The approach that I brought up for decriminalization wasn't just to avoid taxes and lower grade bud; but also the fact that nothing would really change. Litterally it's just the "criminal offence" tag taken off. So there wouldn't be billions of generated revenue, or the corruption of a country, or all the other suggestive outcomes.

    Obviously there would have to be basic rules set in place where smoking pot in high traffic public areas wouldn't be allowed; same as smoking. And other rules or regulations involved with driving while under the influence, and so on.

    Decriminalization wouldn't "make" or "break" the economy; for the most part it would just save my criminal record, and many others' from being tarnished by such a stupid offence. All chaos won't break loose, and junkies won't rule the country. However, our prison systems will no longer be over populated by minor offenders (I think prison cells belong to people who are truly deserving of it, and by no means should a simple stoner be thrown in with the harsher prison population).

    The age limit would obviously be just for legal reasons. Alcohol and cigarettes have an age limit on them, yet minors still obtain them. I know for a fact that pot will always be accessible to high school students, no matter what laws there are, or aren't. The fact that it's decriminalized won't change that; but it will change the fact that their records won't be tainted for possibly a lifetime from it. I don't believe there will be a sudden flood into getting stoned; just the same people that would do it anyways, regardless of its criminal status.

  6. #31
    Senior Member Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo's Avatar
    Gil
    4,533.45
    Gender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Gifts Pocky
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-21-2013 06:15 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Age
    27
    Threads
    12
    Posts
    137
    Rep Power
    168

    Default Re: legalize pot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlgrym View Post
    the point is, that pot being illegal does not deter people from smoking it, if they want it. so why not make it legal so we can get some tax money.
    esspecially if somthing even worse (alcohol) is already legal.
    On what sort of subjective scale are you saying alcohol is worse than weed? Is there any country were alcohol is taken in similar amounts to weed? How do you measure said amounts.
    What i'm trying to get at is it annoys me when people take pot (pun very much intended) shots at my pint! If I have a pint whilst watching a football match with my friends does it somehow do more damage that smoking a spliff with my friends whilst watching a football match? Does it?

    And I know were this is heading, drunk aggressive people outside nightclubs. If we want to prove alcohol is more dangerous then we have to test giving people excessive amounts of strong (read extremely strong) weed very quickly to see if there is dangerous reactions. Medical or antisocial.


    Once again I've got to ask, is there any quick reliable way for testing drivers for pot? Alcohol is easy to breathalise but if weed is legalised it must also have a breathaliser.


    And to the people who say decriminalise but not legalise, you do realise that large corporations will jump all over that? Your giving them a product that they can sell without tax.

  7. #32
    Fuchsia Ruler Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah's Avatar
    Gil
    727,482.01
    Gender
    My Mood
    Sassy
    Gifts Heart Pisces Double Bento
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-12-2014 06:26 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Alternia
    Age
    22
    Threads
    54
    Posts
    3,005
    Blog Entries
    91
    AW Wallpapers
    3
    Rep Power
    4419

    Default Re: legalize pot?

    So they put someone in prison for life because they smoke pot and they're happy happy people whereas someone who is a serial killer gets 20 years? Weird how things work, I'd legalize pot.. idk, I really don't care much.

  8. #33
    Senior Member
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    8,391.96
    Gender
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nishitokyo-shi, Tokyo
    Age
    25
    Threads
    3
    Posts
    1,475
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    2248

    Default Re: legalize pot?

    I may be misinformed, but to my understanding, the reason that the government is hesitant to legalize marijuana (as opposed to tobacco or alcohol) is because it is especially difficult to tax. Tobacco and alcohol need fairly specific conditions and equipment to produce and manufacture, which makes it easy to track, but marijuana can be grown in a teenager's back yard under virtually any conditions, which makes it problematic when you want to put a tax on the final product.

    As for my view, I don't have first-hand experience with any sort of drug and I don't have much of an opinion, but strictly as regards to marijuana, I incline towards a more liberal view, solely based on the fact that the logic on the side of its detractors leave a lot to be desired. I was browsing a just-say-no-to-marijuana pamphlet from my university the other day, but I remained unimpressed by the rhetoric. For example, it told me that about 30 percent of all marijuana-related crimes are violent, therefore marijuana causes violence. But then, I couldn't help thinking what the percentage would be for alcohol-related crimes.

    Also,
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylingo
    What i'm trying to get at is it annoys me when people take pot (pun very much intended) shots at my pint! If I have a pint whilst watching a football match with my friends does it somehow do more damage that smoking a spliff with my friends whilst watching a football match? Does it?

    And I know were this is heading, drunk aggressive people outside nightclubs. If we want to prove alcohol is more dangerous then we have to test giving people excessive amounts of strong (read extremely strong) weed very quickly to see if there is dangerous reactions. Medical or antisocial.
    You're right, but you're missing the point, which is that the fact nobody has yet to conduct the kind of experiments you speak of is precisely the problem. If it is indeed proved that marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol, then that would be a good reason to ban it. If it is proved to the contrary, then that would be strong grounds for legalization. But the burden of proof should be on those who actively want to criminalize it outright. You can't just send people to do hard time in prison for doing something, while not even giving solid evidence, on the grounds that it might or might not be more dangerous than alcohol. That would be like banning violent games outright on the grounds that it might cause violent behavior. As long as the evidence is inconclusive, people's liberties should be given precedence.

    Once again I've got to ask, is there any quick reliable way for testing drivers for pot? Alcohol is easy to breathalise but if weed is legalised it must also have a breathaliser.
    I find it a little unclear where your assumption that marijuana "must have a breathaliser" in order to be legalized comes from. Driving under the influence is only one of several offenses that leads to dangerous driving; sleep-deprivation, or driving without a license, or driving while psychologically unstable, are all causes of accidents that can't be measured by a breathaliser, but the police find ways to regulate those activities just the same, breathaliser or not. It just so happens that drunk driving is easier to test than other offenses because we have a breathaliser for that, but that doesn't necessarily mean that we have to test all other offenses using the same exacting standard.
    Last edited by Datenshi; 02-02-2012 at 03:11 PM.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

    -Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

  9. #34
    Senior Member marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix's Avatar
    Gil
    197.20
    Gender
    My Mood
    Fine
    Gifts Witch Hat Gir Aries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-04-2012 08:45 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Threads
    20
    Posts
    447
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    66

    Default Re: legalize pot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rylingo View Post
    On what sort of subjective scale are you saying alcohol is worse than weed? Is there any country were alcohol is taken in similar amounts to weed? How do you measure said amounts.
    What i'm trying to get at is it annoys me when people take pot (pun very much intended) shots at my pint! If I have a pint whilst watching a football match with my friends does it somehow do more damage that smoking a spliff with my friends whilst watching a football match? Does it?
    I believe that the "alcohol is worse" argument is referring to drunken driving, which can do a significant amount of damage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rylingo View Post
    Once again I've got to ask, is there any quick reliable way for testing drivers for pot? Alcohol is easy to breathalise but if weed is legalised it must also have a breathaliser.
    I've never smoked it myself, nor have I been too close to someone that does on a regular basis, but I get the impression that much of the time those that do tend to stay home/in one spot when they do. And supposedly Marijuana is one of those drugs that makes you a bit on the paranoid side while you're high, and those that are out driving are rather easy to spot because they're tooling down the road like little old ladies. Again, supposedly.

    Some sort of breathalyzer technology would not be a bad idea, but i'm not sure how it would be possible with drugs. Even with alcohol, it only gives cops an *idea* of how drunk a person is. Blood tests are still more accurate. Also, sadly enough, it's sometimes hard to tell if a person high or simply drunk unless you know what you're looking at (i.e. healthworkers, and law enforcement). Our local stoner neighbor lady was stumbling around the building a couple of weeks ago, and at first glance I thought that she was drunk.
    My Bubblegum Crisis fan-site --> The Bubblegum Crisis Sanctum (a work in progress)

    and my humble blog --> The Writing Desk

    --> My AF album

    Pet Shop Story and Dragon Story ids: webowers, wbowers

  10. #35
    Senior Member Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym's Avatar
    Gil
    4,864.78
    Gender
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-27-2012 11:10 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    34
    Threads
    9
    Posts
    208
    Rep Power
    113
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: pieRESURRECTED

    Default Re: legalize pot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rylingo View Post
    On what sort of subjective scale are you saying alcohol is worse than weed?
    well.....
    1. Marijuana is far less toxic and less addictive than alcohol.
    2. Long-term marijuana use is far less damaging than long-term alcohol use.
    3. Alcohol use contributes to aggressive behavior and acts of violence, whereas marijuana use reduces the likelihood of violent behavior.
    4. Alcohol use is highly associated with violent crime, whereas marijuana use is not.
    5. Alcohol use contributes to the likelihood of domestic violence and sexual assault and marijuana use does not.
    6. Alcohol use is prevalent in cases of sexual assault and date rape on college campuses, whereas marijuana use is not considered a contributing factor in cases of sexual assault and date rape.
    7. Alcohol use contributes to reckless behavior and serious injuries, and it is highly associated with emergency room visits, whereas marijuana use does not contribute to such behavior and injuries, and is seldomly associated with emergency room visits.



    ALSO...
    (PhysOrg.com) -- It appears that when it comes to teen brain development, parents should be more worried about alcohol abuse than marijuana abuse. Two recent studies have been published showing that alcohol -- a legal substance (though not legal for teens in the U.S.) -- is considered more dangerous than marijuana, which is illegal in many countries.

    full article here: http://www.physorg.com/news157280425.html

    Once again I've got to ask, is there any quick reliable way for testing drivers for pot? Alcohol is easy to breathalyser but if weed is legalized it must also have a breathalyser.
    first off, just fyi.......
    you can legally refuse the Breathalyzer, and request a bloodtest instead. if you pass the bloodtest you are g2g.
    speaking of bloodtest, that can work for pot!

    yea, problem solved. the cops can simply do something that is already offererd for alcohol offenses.
    if the will do it for alcohol, then why not pot??
    Last edited by Gauntlgrym; 02-03-2012 at 07:32 AM.
    "If you talk to God, you are praying. If God talks to you, you have schizophrenia."

  11. #36
    Senior Member Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo's Avatar
    Gil
    4,533.45
    Gender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Gifts Pocky
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-21-2013 06:15 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Age
    27
    Threads
    12
    Posts
    137
    Rep Power
    168

    Default Re: legalize pot?

    Quote Originally Posted by marvel_phoenix View Post
    I've never smoked it myself, nor have I been too close to someone that does on a regular basis, but I get the impression that much of the time those that do tend to stay home/in one spot when they do. And supposedly Marijuana is one of those drugs that makes you a bit on the paranoid side while you're high, and those that are out driving are rather easy to spot because they're tooling down the road like little old ladies. Again, supposedly.
    Really depends on the person. Ive taken weed twice. It just made me giggly and then after awhile, paranoid. And then I got a sore throat and chest afterwards (always had a bad chest).

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlgrym View Post
    well.....
    1. Marijuana is far less toxic and less addictive than alcohol.
    2. Long-term marijuana use is far less damaging than long-term alcohol use.
    3. Alcohol use contributes to aggressive behavior and acts of violence, whereas marijuana use reduces the likelihood of violent behavior.
    4. Alcohol use is highly associated with violent crime, whereas marijuana use is not.
    5. Alcohol use contributes to the likelihood of domestic violence and sexual assault and marijuana use does not.
    6. Alcohol use is prevalent in cases of sexual assault and date rape on college campuses, whereas marijuana use is not considered a contributing factor in cases of sexual assault and date rape.
    7. Alcohol use contributes to reckless behavior and serious injuries, and it is highly associated with emergency room visits, whereas marijuana use does not contribute to such behavior and injuries, and is seldomly associated with emergency room visits.
    To measure the two side by side to detect this we need to have set dosages for this. We also need two equal methods in bringing into the subjects body. If we were to measure them side-by-side I would probably measure alcohol being inhaled to weed being inhaled since that would make the test more fair in measuring toxicity.

    The only problem being that alcohol and weed both come in a range of forms and strengths. I can get a 1% pint in my local supermarket. I can also get a 97% alcoholic drink there. Downing the whole of that bottle would probably kill you. Could we force a subject to take in so much marijuana that suffication was induced? Probably.


    You seem to want to compare the damage done by each in their current environment which is relatively unfair considering alcohol is taken more and in larger quantities stacking the odds against it from the word go. Unscientific method.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlgrym View Post
    (PhysOrg.com) -- It appears that when it comes to teen brain development, parents should be more worried about alcohol abuse than marijuana abuse. Two recent studies have been published showing that alcohol -- a legal substance (though not legal for teens in the U.S.) -- is considered more dangerous than marijuana, which is illegal in many countries.
    Firstly, any parent who's main concern when it comes to marijuana and alcohol is some sort of brain hinderment, is moronic.
    Brain damage is not my concern with either of these. Nor should it be anyone elses.

    When it comes to alcohol I believe the main danger is suffocation on the patients own vomit whilst passed out.
    When it comes to marijuana I believe the main danger would be the increased risk of lung cancer risk.
    Parents tend to see the brain as the biggest risk when it comes to any substance which usually isn't true.

    Another reason the two are not easily compared.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlgrym View Post
    first off, just fyi.......
    you can legally refuse the Breathalyzer, and request a bloodtest instead. if you pass the bloodtest you are g2g.
    speaking of bloodtest, that can work for pot!

    yea, problem solved. the cops can simply do something that is already offererd for alcohol offenses.
    if the will do it for alcohol, then why not pot??
    Yes but you either need to fail a breathalyzer or refuse to take one, otherwise cops cannot take you in for a blood test. If the cops can take people in under pure suspicion it might become an abusive use of power (from ireland so don't know the states laws perfectly).
    I would suggest a urine test but there's going to be issues with requesting urine on a street.

    That said, honestly I don't think it would be that difficult to develope an breathalizer for pot is enough money was invested into creating one.

  12. #37
    Senior Member Assiduous✡Aristocrat has a reputation beyond repute Assiduous✡Aristocrat has a reputation beyond repute Assiduous✡Aristocrat has a reputation beyond repute Assiduous✡Aristocrat has a reputation beyond repute Assiduous✡Aristocrat has a reputation beyond repute Assiduous✡Aristocrat has a reputation beyond repute Assiduous✡Aristocrat has a reputation beyond repute Assiduous✡Aristocrat has a reputation beyond repute Assiduous✡Aristocrat has a reputation beyond repute Assiduous✡Aristocrat has a reputation beyond repute Assiduous✡Aristocrat has a reputation beyond repute Assiduous✡Aristocrat's Avatar
    Gil
    6,554.05
    Gender
    My Mood
    Tired
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-17-2013 03:22 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    MOSSAD HQ
    Age
    24
    Threads
    3
    Posts
    359
    Rep Power
    332
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Tobifreed

    Default Re: legalize pot?





  13. #38
    Senior Member Saeriel has a reputation beyond repute Saeriel has a reputation beyond repute Saeriel has a reputation beyond repute Saeriel has a reputation beyond repute Saeriel has a reputation beyond repute Saeriel has a reputation beyond repute Saeriel has a reputation beyond repute Saeriel has a reputation beyond repute Saeriel has a reputation beyond repute Saeriel has a reputation beyond repute Saeriel has a reputation beyond repute Saeriel's Avatar
    Gil
    13,249.73
    Gender
    Gifts Coffee Cookie Leopard
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-18-2012 11:25 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Canada, eh?
    Threads
    2
    Posts
    406
    Rep Power
    149

    Default Re: legalize pot?

    Quote Originally Posted by marvel_phoenix View Post
    I believe that the "alcohol is worse" argument is referring to drunken driving, which can do a significant amount of damage.
    Actually, in my case at the least, I was referring to the physiological and psychological effects making alcohol worse ^^

    Set made by the wonderful Seung-li.

    "Everyone tries to define this thing called Character. It's not hard. Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking."

  14. #39
    Senior Member marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix's Avatar
    Gil
    197.20
    Gender
    My Mood
    Fine
    Gifts Witch Hat Gir Aries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-04-2012 08:45 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Threads
    20
    Posts
    447
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    66

    Default Re: legalize pot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Saeriel View Post
    Actually, in my case at the least, I was referring to the physiological and psychological effects making alcohol worse ^^
    As in too much of a good thing?
    My Bubblegum Crisis fan-site --> The Bubblegum Crisis Sanctum (a work in progress)

    and my humble blog --> The Writing Desk

    --> My AF album

    Pet Shop Story and Dragon Story ids: webowers, wbowers

  15. #40
    Senior Member Saeriel has a reputation beyond repute Saeriel has a reputation beyond repute Saeriel has a reputation beyond repute Saeriel has a reputation beyond repute Saeriel has a reputation beyond repute Saeriel has a reputation beyond repute Saeriel has a reputation beyond repute Saeriel has a reputation beyond repute Saeriel has a reputation beyond repute Saeriel has a reputation beyond repute Saeriel has a reputation beyond repute Saeriel's Avatar
    Gil
    13,249.73
    Gender
    Gifts Coffee Cookie Leopard
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-18-2012 11:25 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Canada, eh?
    Threads
    2
    Posts
    406
    Rep Power
    149

    Default Re: legalize pot?

    Quote Originally Posted by marvel_phoenix View Post
    As in too much of a good thing?
    As in it is far harder on your body than many other drugs.

    Set made by the wonderful Seung-li.

    "Everyone tries to define this thing called Character. It's not hard. Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking."

  16. #41
    Senior Member darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21's Avatar
    Gil
    12,646.48
    Gender
    My Mood
    Cloud_9
    Gifts AK47 Red Dango Wolf
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-22-2014 06:58 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Threads
    224
    Posts
    998
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    0
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: darkwolf1911

    Default Re: legalize pot?

    But what about the people who have Ben to jail?Do u guys think they sould be allowed to buy pot.well if it's not to bad of an ofiance then yes.but the theafs,murders and multipal battery charges would be excluded
    live life to the fullest because you are not guarantied a tomorrow

  17. #42
    Member KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko's Avatar
    Gil
    1,697.50
    Gender
    My Mood
    Bored
    Gifts Ouran Patch
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-02-2014 11:43 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Threads
    2
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: legalize pot?

    I'm kind of inclined on the whole side of getting legalized because I've seen the stuff growing wild on a farm and having it illegal kind of makes me wonder if they would do anything about the wild stuff.

    I believe if you want to think about legalizing pot, the Netherlands is probably a good place to look at since they done it.

  18. #43
    Senior Member Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym's Avatar
    Gil
    4,864.78
    Gender
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-27-2012 11:10 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    34
    Threads
    9
    Posts
    208
    Rep Power
    113
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: pieRESURRECTED

    Default Re: legalize pot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rylingo View Post
    You seem to want to compare the damage done by each in their current environment which is relatively unfair considering alcohol is taken more and in larger quantities stacking the odds against it from the word go. Unscientific method.
    more in depth explaination for ya.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	comparingdangers.png
Views:	6
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	57528
    Source: Jack E. Henningfield, PhD for the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), Reported by Philip J. Hilts, New York Times, Aug. 2, 1994 "Is Nicotine Addictive? It Depends on Whose Criteria You Use." Source: http://drugwarfacts.org/addictiv.htm
    Alcohol is one of the most toxic drugs, and using just 10 times what one would use to get the desired effect can lead to death. Marijuana is one of – if not the – least toxic drugs, requiring thousands of times the dose one would use to get the desired effect to lead to death. This “thousands of times” is actually theoretical, since there has never been a recorded case of marijuana overdose. Source: The American Scientist (Magazine of Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society). Gable, Robert. May-June 006. http://www.americanscientist.org/iss...tional-drugs/1
    Click image for larger version

Name:	american%20scientist%20toxicity%20graphic.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	57529
    There are hundreds of alcohol overdose deaths each year, yet there has never been a marijuana overdose death in history. The consumption of alcohol is also the direct cause of tens of thousands of deaths in the U.S. each year.

    In 2001, there were 331 alcohol overdose deaths and 0 marijuana overdose deaths. Source: U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Source: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5337a2.htm

    Long-term marijuana use is far less damaging than long-term alcohol use.


    Excessive alcohol consumption is the third leading preventable cause of death in the United States and is associated with multiple adverse health consequences, including liver cirrhosis, various cancers, unintentional injuries, and violence.

    The U.S. Centers for Disease Control reported 20,687 “alcohol-induced deaths” (excluding accidents and homicides) in 2003. Source: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/alcohol.htm

    The CDC has no reports of “marijuana-induced deaths.” (In reality, there may be 2-5 deaths each year attributed to marijuana, but this article -- http://bbsnews.net/bw2005-02-01.html-- describes how these are actually deaths attributable to other causes but “blamed” on marijuana due to the way the data is collected.)

    There is little evidence, however, that long-term cannabis use causes permanent cognitive impairment, nor is there is any clear cause and effect relationship to explain the psychosocial associations.

    There are some physical health risks, particularly the possibility of damage to the airways in cannabis smokers. Overall, by comparison with other drugs used mainly for ‘recreational’ purposes, cannabis could be rated to be a relatively safe drug. Source: Iversen, Leslie. Current Opinion in Pharmacology. Volume 5, Issue 1, February 2005, Pages 69-72. Long-term effects of exposure to cannabis. University of Oxford, Department of Pharmacology.

    The latest and most comprehensive research on marijuana has concluded that it does not contribute to the development of lung cancer. Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR200605...

    There has never been a documented case of lung cancer in a marijuana-only smoker, and recent studies find that marijuana use is not associated with any type of cancer. The same cannot be said for alcohol, which has been found to contribute to a variety of long-term negative health effects, including cancers and cirrhosis of the liver.


    Firstly, any parent who's main concern when it comes to marijuana and alcohol is some sort of brain hinderment, is moronic.
    Brain damage is not my concern with either of these. Nor should it be anyone elses.
    fact is, if your child were to start drinking or smoking pot at (let's just say) 15. the alcohol has a MUCH greater chance to cause some kind of long term damage.
    it's not moronic to worry about stuff like that, because TONS of kids are starting to smoke and drink at young ages nowadays. imo, i'd rather my 15-16 year old smoke pot than drink.
    because at least the pot won't F* them up forever.
    "If you talk to God, you are praying. If God talks to you, you have schizophrenia."

  19. #44
    Senior Member
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    8,391.96
    Gender
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nishitokyo-shi, Tokyo
    Age
    25
    Threads
    3
    Posts
    1,475
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    2248

    Default Re: legalize pot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rylingo
    To measure the two side by side to detect this we need to have set dosages for this. We also need two equal methods in bringing into the subjects body. If we were to measure them side-by-side I would probably measure alcohol being inhaled to weed being inhaled since that would make the test more fair in measuring toxicity.

    The only problem being that alcohol and weed both come in a range of forms and strengths. I can get a 1% pint in my local supermarket. I can also get a 97% alcoholic drink there. Downing the whole of that bottle would probably kill you. Could we force a subject to take in so much marijuana that suffication was induced? Probably.

    You seem to want to compare the damage done by each in their current environment which is relatively unfair considering alcohol is taken more and in larger quantities stacking the odds against it from the word go. Unscientific method.
    Your point is valid, but it's only relevant if the discussion was at a science fair.

    Right now we're talking about whether or not the practice of consuming marijuana is more harmful to society as a whole than alcohol. As such, the harmful effects of both have to be measured against the reality of the society we currently live in. People do not actually inhale alcohol, and people do not go "binge" smoking marijuana to the extent that they do with alcohol.

    Hypothesizing about unrealistic situations might be interesting from a theoretical point of view, but it has nothing to do with the question of whether the law should prohibit something or not. You're fixating on the trees and not seeing the forest.
    Last edited by Datenshi; 02-04-2012 at 12:54 PM.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

    -Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

  20. #45
    Senior Member Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo's Avatar
    Gil
    4,533.45
    Gender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Gifts Pocky
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-21-2013 06:15 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Age
    27
    Threads
    12
    Posts
    137
    Rep Power
    168

    Default Re: legalize pot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlgrym View Post
    marijuana use is not associated with any type of cancer.
    The risk of lung cancer increased 8% for each joint-yr of cannabis smoking,
    Source: Aldington, S. et al. Cannabis use and risk of lung cancer: a case-control study. The European Respiratory Journal. 2008. 31(2):280-6.

    There are some reasons to think that marijuana smoking might increase lung cancer risk. Many of the cancer-causing substances in tobacco are also found in marijuana. Marijuana contains more tar than cigarettes. (Tar is the sticky, solid material that remains after burning, which is thought to contain most of the harmful substances in smoke.) Marijuana cigarettes (joints) are typically smoked all the way to the end, where tar content is the highest. Marijuana is also inhaled very deeply and the smoke is held in the lungs for a long time. And because marijuana is an illegal substance, it is not possible to control what other substances it might contain.

    But it has been hard to study whether there is a link between marijuana and lung cancer because it is not easy to gather information about the use of illegal drugs. Also, many marijuana smokers also smoke cigarettes. This makes it hard to know how much of the risk is from tobacco and how much might be from marijuana. In the very limited studies done so far, marijuana use has not been strongly linked to lung cancer, but more research in this area is needed.
    Source: America Cancer Society, 2010

    Habitual smoking of marijuana has a number of effects on the respiratory and immune systems that may be clinically relevant. These include alterations in lung function ranging from no to mild airflow obstruction without evidence of diffusion impairment, an increased prevalence of acute and chronic bronchitis, striking endoscopic findings of airway injury (erythema, edema, and increased secretions) that correlate with histopathological alterations in bronchial biopsies, and dysregulated growth of the bronchial epithelium associated with altered expression of nuclear and cytoplasmic proteins involved in the pathogenesis of bronchogenic carcinoma. Other consequences of regular marijuana use include ultrastructual abnormalities in human alveolar macrophages along with impairment of their cytokine production, antimicrobial activity, and tumoricidal function. Cannabinoid receptor expression is altered in leukocytes collected from the blood of chronic smokers, and experimental models support a role for delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol in suppressing T cell function and cell-mediated immunity.
    Source: Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 2002.

    Could find other sources. Its not difficult.

    Quote Originally Posted by Datenshi View Post
    People do not actually inhale alcohol,
    People do actually inhale alcohol. Its kinda rare. Tried it myself once. Won't be doing it again. Its horrible.



    Still not anti-marijuana.

  21. #46
    Senior Member Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty's Avatar
    Gil
    7,823.77
    Gender
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Gifts Green Saber Storm Trooper Beer
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-20-2012 12:29 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    BC
    Age
    24
    Threads
    31
    Posts
    373
    Blog Entries
    20
    Rep Power
    241
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: MattyG69

    Default Re: legalize pot?

    Just curious... how many people who posted in here actually smoke pot? I'm getting the feeling that most have smoked it once or twice at most...

    You know my opinion, of decriminalization, and I'm against legalization, but it's because I smoke.

    Not to bring the subject off topic; but how come so many non-smokers want it legalized? I won't down your enthusiasm towards it, just curious on why you feel that way

  22. #47
    Senior Member Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo's Avatar
    Gil
    4,533.45
    Gender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Gifts Pocky
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-21-2013 06:15 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Age
    27
    Threads
    12
    Posts
    137
    Rep Power
    168

    Default Re: legalize pot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    Not to bring the subject off topic; but how come so many non-smokers want it legalized? I won't down your enthusiasm towards it, just curious on why you feel that way
    To many people in jail for nonviolent crimes.
    Waste of public money trying to get rid of pot. A substance that does little damage.
    It could gain good revenues in tax which could be spent repairing public services.
    etc.

  23. #48
    Morphine. Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira's Avatar
    Gil
    26,937.30
    Gender
    My Mood
    Busy
    Gifts Paint Palette Gun Camera Dslr
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-04-2012 09:22 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Romania
    Age
    21
    Threads
    35
    Posts
    967
    Blog Entries
    55
    Rep Power
    2622

    Default Re: legalize pot?

    I'd choose pot over tobacco, hell, I'd choose pot over alcohol. I don't understand how those two are far more dangerous and damaging, yet they're legal. Pot is the mildest form of drug, ever, and rarely has consequences to it since it's pretty harmless. No stoned man is gonna start fights and do stupid stuff to other people, and the only form of addict it causes is mental-addiction, and not biological-addiction like tobacco and alcohol.
    But that's society logic for you.
    No Mercy,
    No Remorse.


    ||Thank you MaruDashi for the great set!||

  24. #49
    Senior Member Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo's Avatar
    Gil
    4,533.45
    Gender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Gifts Pocky
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-21-2013 06:15 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Age
    27
    Threads
    12
    Posts
    137
    Rep Power
    168

    Default Re: legalize pot?

    Whilst I remain for the legalisation of a lot of drugs, should the private sector be able to provide driving tests for them the main question that you should be asking is, "When I go to an ATM at night am I worried about people on ______." If the answer is no, then I tend towards legalisation.

    Seriously investigating drug related crimes over violent crimes is absolutely disgusting.

  25. #50
    Senior Member Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty's Avatar
    Gil
    7,823.77
    Gender
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Gifts Green Saber Storm Trooper Beer
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-20-2012 12:29 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    BC
    Age
    24
    Threads
    31
    Posts
    373
    Blog Entries
    20
    Rep Power
    241
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: MattyG69

    Default Re: legalize pot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rylingo View Post
    Seriously investigating drug related crimes over violent crimes is absolutely disgusting.
    I agree entirely.

    I actually watched a documentary a while back at why the governemnt chooses to keep it illegal; it's actually more profitable that way. There's a HUGE money making scandal behind "The war on pot"; and that's why it will probably never be legalized.

    Even decriminalization came close in Canada once or twice, but the idea was thrown out the window by the massive backlash from other politicians. I don't think either legalization, or decriminalization will come about until greed fades away.... but it could be a LONG wait; so pack some snacks.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts