AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why all the Jewish/Christian religious symbols?

Senior Member Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555's Avatar
    Gil
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-28-2014 08:12 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Why all the Jewish/Christian religious symbols?

There's crosses, angels, the "tree of life" symbol, and a lot more. Can someone explain why all of this western religious symbolism (most of which is completely taken out of context from the original use of these symbols and ideas), even though it's a Japanese show and movie series?
    Click the banner to visit my website.

My website is still under construction, so please visit it often to see it as it grows. You may have to press F5 to refresh the page if there's something new that's not showing (in some rare cases, you may have to use Ctrl+F5). If you wish to contact me about my site and are a member of Animeforum, PM me. If you are just a guest visiting Animeforum, please use animedude5555@gmail.com

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-29-2014 08:34 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

Default Re: Why all the Jewish/Christian religious symbols?

Gee, why do we use Japanese symbolism in movies?

Junior Member rollychairs is on a distinguished road rollychairs's Avatar
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-17-2014 05:37 PM
    Threads

A large majority of Japan is Christian/jewish

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by rollychairs View Post
    A large majority of Japan is Christian/jewish
    No they're not. Christianity is a minority religion in Japan. I don't think Judaism is even on any radar there. Most adhere to Shinto there.

Junior Member DMurphy is on a distinguished road DMurphy's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-30-2014 05:45 AM
    Threads

I'm pretty sure it's the exact opposite to 'a large majority of Japan is Christian'. A large majority of Japan is atheist or nominally Shinto, followed by people who are devoutly Shinto, Buddhists, and then probably Christian as a distant fourth.

Which I'd warrant is exactly why Christian and Jewish religious symbols keep showing up in anime. Think about how much we, as a culture, use the iconography of the Romans, the Ancient Greeks, Japan, China - these things have a tinge of the alien and the exotic, they carry a suggestion of divine force and mythological gravitas that is only enhanced by their being slightly distant to us.

In Japan, Christianity, Islam and Judaism are the same: They are religions that are recognisable to Japanese people, which carry that mythological gravitas that any religious symbolism does, but which are also distant, and in some ways quite 'exotic'.

Numbah One Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Snowman Hedgehog Pocky
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-28-2014 01:54 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Zainox-

It's a governmental plot to take over the world.

MY BIG AF FAMILY

Coffi - Younger Sister
    Skywen - Fraternal Twin
    horrendous - long-lost half-brothers who ran into each other at walmart and recognized one another from family photos!

Femme Fatale - Sister
    Kaleohano - Evil Twin
    aether - Weird uncle who makes outrageous claims like "I invented the apostrophe or the toilet"/Forum Bestie
    -Sasuke Uchiha- - Friend/Uchiha Avenger
    FluffyEmjay - Baby Brother

7. Likes GameGeeks liked this post
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's the exact opposite to 'a large majority of Japan is Christian'. A large majority of Japan is atheist or nominally Shinto, followed by people who are devoutly Shinto, Buddhists, and then probably Christian as a distant fourth.

Which I'd warrant is exactly why Christian and Jewish religious symbols keep showing up in anime. Think about how much we, as a culture, use the iconography of the Romans, the Ancient Greeks, Japan, China - these things have a tinge of the alien and the exotic, they carry a suggestion of divine force and mythological gravitas that is only enhanced by their being slightly distant to us.

In Japan, Christianity, Islam and Judaism are the same: They are religions that are recognisable to Japanese people, which carry that mythological gravitas that any religious symbolism does, but which are also distant, and in some ways quite 'exotic'.
    Tell me how is less then 1% a majority. I'd like to here it. As for using symbolism from Christianity it means nothing. We do the same with symbolism from ancient Japan in our movies. It doesn't mean anything.

Senior Member Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555's Avatar
    Gil
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I always thought that the maker of Evangelion was an anti-Christian bigot, and he put the symbolism in it to be offensive to Christians. I like the epic battle scenes in the the anime, but as a Christian, I recognize the use of Christian symbols as they are being used in the anime as a sacrilegious use of those symbols, and it offends me. So I assume that the intent of the creator of this anime was to be sacrilegious.
    Last edited by Animedude5555; 05-20-2014 at 05:48 PM.

My website is still under construction, so please visit it often to see it as it grows. You may have to press F5 to refresh the page if there's something new that's not showing (in some rare cases, you may have to use Ctrl+F5). If you wish to contact me about my site and are a member of Animeforum, PM me. If you are just a guest visiting Animeforum, please use animedude5555@gmail.com

Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Animedude5555 View Post
    I always thought that the maker of Evangelion was an anti-Christian bigot, and he put the symbolism in it to be offensive to Christians. I like the epic battle scenes in the the anime, but as a Christian, I recognize the use of Christian symbols as they are being used in the anime as a sacrilegious use of those symbols, and it offends me. So I assume that the intent of the creator of this anime was to be sacrilegious.
    Considering your logic over the years I expect this opinion to change in a couple of weeks.

Gil
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GameGeeks View Post
    Considering your logic over the years I expect this opinion to change in a couple of weeks.
    What will happen over the next couple weeks that will change my mind?

Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

What will happen over the next couple weeks that will change my mind?
    I'm gonna go ahead and guess your long term memory is non-existent.

Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by GameGeeks View Post
    Tell me how is less then 1% a majority. I'd like to here it. As for using symbolism from Christianity it means nothing. We do the same with symbolism from ancient Japan in our movies. It doesn't mean anything.
    Am I the person you actually meant to quote here?

Because if you read my post, I was saying the same thing as you, that Christianity is not the majority, atheists and Shinto are. Which is true: 90% of Japanese people report visiting Shinto shrines and beseeching Kami, and 51% of Japanese people report not having any particular religion, as compared to all of 1% who report being Christian.

I even mentioned that we as a culture frequently use Japanese iconography, so I'm not sure why you think saying that is somehow a rebuttal to my point and not just saying the same thing.

Senior Member PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Crisis Mooncompact Mario 1-Up Mushroom Katana
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-25-2014 11:07 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: VPKairi

I've seen several anime shows that use crosses and whatnot. There are some anime shows that are based off of being Catholic, Christian, etc. Perhaps the creator of the anime wanted to use the symbols simply because they happen to like that religion or just because they could. But really, who cares?

Senior Member 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ's Avatar
    Gil
    Dead
    Gifts Bigro MA 05 Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-26-2014 02:30 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

if you are offended by japanese animators using christian symbols, then the whole southern Europe and north Africa should be offended by christianity existing at all as christianity basically have stolen and re-written everything that is in the bible and caused the genocides of Egyptians, and Ancient Greeks and more than half of the pre-christianity Europe after they've stolen their myths and traditions.

Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by 星らぶ View Post
    if you are offended by japanese animators using christian symbols, then the whole southern Europe and north Africa should be offended by christianity existing at all as christianity basically have stolen and re-written everything that is in the bible and caused the genocides of Egyptians, and Ancient Greeks and more than half of the pre-christianity Europe after they've stolen their myths and traditions.
    This.

Also, it just seems self-absorbed for young master Animedude5555 to be whining 'Oh, they used Judeo-Christian imagery! It's sacrilege! They're doing it deliberately to offeeeeeend meeeeee!'

Christianity is not special. It is not remarkable. For the majority of Japanese people, it is only a set of foreign symbols and iconography that can be used as a way of adding a mythological touch to something, the same way we use dozens of other mythologies, both current and past. If that offends him, the lad needs to be less easily offended.

17. Likes 星らぶ liked this post
    Senior Member 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ's Avatar
    Gil
    Dead
    Gifts Bigro MA 05 Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-26-2014 02:30 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
    This.

Also, it just seems self-absorbed for young master Animedude5555 to be whining 'Oh, they used Judeo-Christian imagery! It's sacrilege! They're doing it deliberately to offeeeeeend meeeeee!'

Christianity is not special. It is not remarkable. For the majority of Japanese people, it is only a set of foreign symbols and iconography that can be used as a way of adding a mythological touch to something, the same way we use dozens of other mythologies, both current and past. If that offends him, the lad needs to be less easily offended.
    lol yeah
    and for christians who get offended of anything it only shows that they do not know their own religion and neither had read their so called "holly book" which is technically a Roman fanfiction
    first symbol of christianity for example was not the cross but the fish, cross was added centuries later by Constantine who he supposedly saw a vision of a cross (a Roman way of punishment) and after that he blamed the Jews that they sent Jesus to the cross, when Jesus never EVER existed historically, therefore never sent to the cross. Bible as a book was put together around 400AD

As for Japanese, Christmas for them is a day off for couples to be lovye dovye and go shopping LOL
    Last edited by 星らぶ; 05-24-2014 at 12:24 AM.

Gil
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Ok, I see now. They don't really understand the significance of those symbols and are just using them to add a certain mystical vibe to their movies. I guess as you say, Westerners do the same things with symbolism from other cultures too when using them in movies.

Junior Member xatwn is on a distinguished road xatwn's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-05-2014 04:58 AM
    Threads

I enjoyed reading the topic

http://www.soran.edu.iq

Junior Member The Batlord is on a distinguished road The Batlord's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-06-2014 08:34 PM
    Threads

1. Other mythology is cool. Thor is cool. Hercules is cool. And I'm sure if we weren't from Christendom we'd think Jesus was cool too.

2. Obscure religious texts are good for creating surrealism. What would Evangelion be if it wasn't so whacked on off-the-wall hoodoo?

3. I think Hideaki Anno is kind of pretentious. I mean, a lot of it was necessary, and it all contributed to the general vibe of the series, but seriously, some of the psychological and metaphysical mumbo jumbo was just goofy. There's no way Anno isn't at least a bit pretentious.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information