AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can you be unhappy with gifts?

Senior Member SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-14-2014 06:26 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Berwald Oxenstiernas (Hetalia) vital regions [Sweden]
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Can you be unhappy with gifts?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou+ View Post
    It's because all the possibilities you're naming are one to a million. (Like what if they put it in your hands or rub it to your face) Trivial things that you shouldn't make balls about.
    Maybe not... BUT in that situation that you now mentioned; I think that "snapping" is definitely okey! xD

Waiting for
    Christmas
    Season four of Sherlock
    The new Hobbit movie
    Season five of Game of Thrones
    New episodes of Downton Abbey

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuXrys View Post
    Maybe not... BUT in that situation that you now mentioned; I think that "snapping" is definitely okey! xD
    In a nutshell, you shouldn't go apeshit if you don't like your gift, not matter the circumstances. It's rude and immature.

Senior Member SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

In a nutshell, you shouldn't go apeshit if you don't like your gift, not matter the circumstances. It's rude and immature.
    Now im thinking me into the situation where im severe/almost deadly allergic to something, and then one person smears that thing that-im-so-allergic-to into my face - with the knowledge that Im terrible allergic to it. Then I won't stand silent - no matter what that person thinks. What if I will get a such a severe reaction that I will die? ... The one who was most immature was that person who smeared that stuff into that other persons face, then that person needs to be told so she/he won't do it again. I don't know if I would go "apeshit" but I really would have becomed angry and scolded them. You just don't do such things - especially not to someone who is that allergic.

Edit: im not sure if I missunderstood you or not... durp.
    Last edited by SuXrys; 12-26-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Waiting for
    Christmas
    Season four of Sherlock
    The new Hobbit movie

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Now im thinking me into the situation where im severe/almost deadly allergic to something, and then one person smears that thing that-im-so-allergic-to into my face - with the knowledge that Im terrible allergic to it. Then I won't stand silent - no matter what that person thinks. What if I will get a such a severe reaction that I will die? ... The one who was most immature was that person who smeared that stuff into that other persons face, then that person needs to be told so she/he won't do it again. I don't know if I would go "apeshit" but I really would have becomed angry and scolded them. You just don't do such things - especially not to someone who is that allergic.
    Then it's not a "gift" it's a bad prank or a bad joke.

Gil
    Mentioned
    1401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Then it's not a "gift" it's a bad prank or a bad joke.
    True. But in that case doesn't even other gifts (the ones you are not allergic to) that are re-given to you all the time, even if people know that you don't want them, also be considered as "bad jokes? Why else give some things to people that you know that they don't want? There is a limit to how numb some people actually can be.

---
    op: Im really tired right now. So I may not think properly atm.
    and perhaps we are taking this too far. x)) höhöhö ~

Waiting for
    Christmas
    Season four of Sherlock
    The new Hobbit movie

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

True. But in that case doesn't even other gifts (the ones you are not allergic to) that are re-given to you all the time, even if people know that you don't want them, also be considered as "bad jokes? Why else give some things to people that you know that they don't want? There is a limit to how numb some people actually can be.

---
    op: Im really tired right now. So I may not think properly atm.
    and perhaps we are taking this too far. x)) höhöhö ~

You're putting too much thought into this.

It's like you really want me to say "In the case I will beat the guy to death". O_o;;

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

So what do you do with a gift that you don't want at all? Perhaps a gift that you have told people many times that you don't want for different reasons, maybe don't have any room for it, already have x-number of that thing or perhaps even can't have it because you are allergic to it? But still every year, you'll get it - despise how many times you have told people that you don't want it. What do you do?

--
    Im not in this situation myself, I just find the topic interesting.
    Realistically speaking, in this case, one highly probable explanation is that the person is already in the habit of giving the very same item to several people every year, and can't be bothered to change his/her pattern of behavior for the sake of one person (it's already marked down as such on his/her list of things to do for the year, so to speak). Maybe he/she is in a position to get the items cheaply or conveniently (my grandmother always sends me tons of produce from her fields), or maybe the act of going out shopping to buy them at this time of the year has come to take on a sort of symbolic significance for that person (as a sort of annual tradition), etc.

The way I see it, if you've (politely) let them know they shouldn't mind sending you the gift this year, and they do send it to you regardless, you can always get rid of it discreetly or pass it off to someone else, with nobody the wiser.
    Last edited by Datenshi; 12-26-2011 at 06:58 PM.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

Someone took my sweet roll! Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Jet 255 - Torchic 255 - Torchic
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-28-2013 04:05 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Datenshi View Post
    The way I see it, if you've (politely) let them know they shouldn't mind sending you the gift this year, and they do send it to you regardless, you can always get rid of it discreetly or pass it off to someone else, with nobody the wiser.
    Yeah, I tried this before. My Aunt bought me a pink sweater (Kinda pink, but basically, and it had little elves on it, *pukesvomitspitblargarrowinthekneeshiza*) and she always expects me to wear whatever she buys me that year when we visit her the day after Christmas, and we usually go places for food, so basically, I look like a flamer with no hope for three hours. yeah, laugh away, because I would do the same.

┈┈┈┈┈╭┻━━┻╮┈┈┈┈┈
    ┈┈┈┈┈┃▆┈┈▆┃┈┈┈┈┈
    ┈┈┈┈╭╋━━━━╋╮┈┈┈┈
    ┈┈┈┈┃┃┈┈┈┈┃┃┈┈┈┈
    ┈┈┈┈╰┫┈┈┈┈┣╯┈┈┈┈
    ┈┈┈┈┈╰┓┏┓┏╯┈┈┈┈┈
    ┈┈┈┈┈┈╰╯╰╯┈┈┈┈┈┈

9. Likes sgtscott658 liked this post
    Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2014 03:53 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

I have a saying that goes:

"I know its the thought that counts. But if you weren't thinking, does it count?"

I am a little eccentric, so I don't have the same tastes that my family does. But, my tastes aren't really a secret, so it always perplexes me when when they end up buying me something I will never use or wear. For example, my mother knows that I love black and spikes, so one of the things she bought me was a spiked wristband. Loved it. But my uncle and cousins, despite their knowledge of my tastes (which they must know since they see me many times a year wearing precisely that), they bought me a deep blue scarf. Now, while my cousin specifically picked out the dark color for me (knowing I like dark colors), I never wear scarves and have almost no desire to wear them. So now what? Last year, I got two wallets from family members (one from the previously mentioned uncle and cousin), but I use neither, since I don't have any need for a new wallet nor did I express any need for one.

So now did I not only receive something that I don't like, I'm also saddled with it too (one year later, those wallets are still in the closet). Most of the gifts that I receive from extended family are things I can't use (e.g. two extra wallets, a pink jacket, makeup). They usually consist of items that they either think that I would like as a girl (NEVER a good idea; I'm not girly) or something they just thought up the day before (my sister and two of my other female cousins also received scarves ). The gifts feel like an obligation, that I have to receive something since they are going to the house of the family matriarch and I just happen to live in the same darn house. So they usually give me something without thinking about it.

The admission from my cousin that he picked out the color of my scarf is the first time in years that I have heard about any thought processes going on when it came to my gift. That felt nice (I might even stomach wearing the scarf). But receiving a gift that had no other point behind it than to be seen giving one (like a wallet I don't need)? At that point, receiving the gift doesn't feel good anymore.
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

Fuchsia Ruler Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah's Avatar
    Gil
    Sassy
    Gifts Heart Pisces Double Bento
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2016 06:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

A few times I've been disappointed with gifts for these reason: it doesn't work, it doesn't fit, or it's not something of my interest.
    Which is pretty rare for me. Other than that, I try to think that they spend the time trying to get me something and I do believe that thought counts. I mostly get disappointed when something doesn't fit me or the item doesn't work. I feel all sad. :c

Someone took my sweet roll! Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Jet 255 - Torchic 255 - Torchic
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-28-2013 04:05 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Seung-li View Post
    A few times I've been disappointed with gifts for these reason: it doesn't work, it doesn't fit, or it's not something of my interest.
    Which is pretty rare for me. Other than that, I try to think that they spend the time trying to get me something and I do believe that thought counts. I mostly get disappointed when something doesn't fit me or the item doesn't work. I feel all sad. :c
    Its the thought that counts?

┈┈┈┈┈╭┻━━┻╮┈┈┈┈┈
    ┈┈┈┈┈┃▆┈┈▆┃┈┈┈┈┈
    ┈┈┈┈╭╋━━━━╋╮┈┈┈┈
    ┈┈┈┈┃┃┈┈┈┈┃┃┈┈┈┈
    ┈┈┈┈╰┫┈┈┈┈┣╯┈┈┈┈
    ┈┈┈┈┈╰┓┏┓┏╯┈┈┈┈┈
    ┈┈┈┈┈┈╰╯╰╯┈┈┈┈┈┈

Senior Member Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-12-2014 08:06 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I like to be honest, let's just keep it at that.
    人類は調和したのか?
    VY2V3 = Me | Kagamine Len Act 1 = You

Junior Member Remosaic has a reputation beyond repute Remosaic has a reputation beyond repute Remosaic has a reputation beyond repute Remosaic has a reputation beyond repute Remosaic has a reputation beyond repute Remosaic has a reputation beyond repute Remosaic has a reputation beyond repute Remosaic has a reputation beyond repute Remosaic has a reputation beyond repute Remosaic has a reputation beyond repute Remosaic has a reputation beyond repute Remosaic's Avatar
    Gil
    Bahahaha
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-27-2011 10:50 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: xtyboomer

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgirl90 View Post

"I know its the thought that counts. But if you weren't thinking, does it count?"
    That my friend is an awesome quote!

No lie. Buying gifts is tough!
    So I think about that when I open mine. Any amount of thought I can tell was put into it is appreciated.
    Besides that...I prefer giving gifts anyway. Gives me an opportunity to sneak around. ;3
    *sleuth* *stealthy* *sneak*
    Last edited by Remosaic; 12-26-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Senior Member Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Present Bomb Aquarius
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2014 05:45 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I think one should appreciate that someone thought of them to get them a gift, but you don't always have to like it, just don't flat out act rude since they DID give you something.

ein, zwei, drei, vier bin endlich weg von Dir
    fünf, sechs, sieben, acht Du hast jetzt keine Macht

i'm desu and i know it. Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-21-2012 02:33 AM
    Threads

I'm usually quite happy with what I get. But if you are disappointed you should probably keep it inside, otherwise it's pretty hurtful towards the giver :/

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    marvelangga has a reputation beyond repute marvelangga has a reputation beyond repute marvelangga has a reputation beyond repute marvelangga has a reputation beyond repute marvelangga has a reputation beyond repute marvelangga has a reputation beyond repute marvelangga has a reputation beyond repute marvelangga has a reputation beyond repute marvelangga has a reputation beyond repute marvelangga has a reputation beyond repute marvelangga has a reputation beyond repute marvelangga's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

The gift that disappointed me the most is a picture frame.

Fearless Red Mage SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13's Avatar
    Gil
    Talkative
    Gifts Ice Ornament Ouran Patch
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-25-2013 07:13 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'm okay with any gift I receive just as long as it's decent.
    I don't want receiving something rude of a gift. XD

Senior Member Phylloh has a reputation beyond repute Phylloh has a reputation beyond repute Phylloh has a reputation beyond repute Phylloh has a reputation beyond repute Phylloh has a reputation beyond repute Phylloh has a reputation beyond repute Phylloh has a reputation beyond repute Phylloh has a reputation beyond repute Phylloh has a reputation beyond repute Phylloh has a reputation beyond repute Phylloh has a reputation beyond repute Phylloh's Avatar
    Gil
    Depressed
    Gifts Santa Hat Cheeseburger Tsubasa Mokona
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-01-2012 02:46 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Blazing Taokaka PSN ID: Zelkovas_Moon

I think the only time you can ever be really unhappy with a gift is if it's an opposite gender gift that you didn't specifically mention, other than that, it's a gift, shut up and take it
    Did I tell you to look at me? No? Good then get the hell away from me.

Gil
    Mentioned
    1401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Datenshi View Post
    you can always get rid of it discreetly or pass it off to someone else, with nobody the wiser.

Ah!
    And then it becomes one of those gifts that just passed around through the family! xD

It might be my limit knowledge in the english lanugage that is bothering my right now, but I don't understand that saying.
    Can you explain it?

Quote Originally Posted by Seung-li View Post
    If the item doesn't work, or if it doesn't fit you - do you ever ask for a receipt?

Waiting for
    Christmas
    Season four of Sherlock
    The new Hobbit movie

Fuchsia Ruler Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah's Avatar
    Gil
    Sassy
    Gifts Heart Pisces Double Bento
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2016 06:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

People that gives me a present, they're usually from a close friend or family friend that ends up asking for my size and give me the correct one. Now, if it's from a family friend I let my parents know the conflict and they voluntarily tell the person it doesn't fit unfortunately. But before that does happen, I let my sisters try it out. xD I feel rather disappointed that I don't get the gift really from them, but I'm willing to give it up for my sisters. Well that's just in case if they fit on it, if not, the person who gave it to me exchanges it. haha

For other items, it comes with a receipt. I don't know why with clothes, I think it's just because they asked for the size to begin with and didn't expect it to not fit in well that's why.

Senior Member Arrisu has a reputation beyond repute Arrisu has a reputation beyond repute Arrisu has a reputation beyond repute Arrisu has a reputation beyond repute Arrisu has a reputation beyond repute Arrisu has a reputation beyond repute Arrisu has a reputation beyond repute Arrisu has a reputation beyond repute Arrisu has a reputation beyond repute Arrisu has a reputation beyond repute Arrisu has a reputation beyond repute Arrisu's Avatar
    Gil
    Devilish
    Gifts Cake Spinning Beach Ball Doom Baka
    Mentioned
    375 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-26-2016 06:47 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

As long as the gift isnt meant in any rude way, I appreciate it. In fact, I'm usually the only one in my family giving out like 20 gifts for different people, while I recieve about 3 gifts. I like making others happy, and I think that it's the thought that counts. I try my best to get something I know the person would like. n_n

"I will make Hiyori the happiest girl in this world..."

Junior Member Remosaic has a reputation beyond repute Remosaic has a reputation beyond repute Remosaic has a reputation beyond repute Remosaic has a reputation beyond repute Remosaic has a reputation beyond repute Remosaic has a reputation beyond repute Remosaic has a reputation beyond repute Remosaic has a reputation beyond repute Remosaic has a reputation beyond repute Remosaic has a reputation beyond repute Remosaic has a reputation beyond repute Remosaic's Avatar
    Gil
    Bahahaha
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-27-2011 10:50 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: xtyboomer

[COLOR=white]

It might be my limit knowledge in the english lanugage that is bothering my right now, but I don't understand that saying.
    Can you explain it?

I think if refers to how much the person cares about your approval of the gift. Some people could care less how much you like a gift or not so they buy some crap that you don't want just because it was on sale. You can usually gauge how much thought they put into a gift by their eager expression when your opening it.

If they really do care less, then should the gift really mean anything to you?

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2014 03:53 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

Can you explain it?
    People often say that "its the thought that counts", that even though the gift may not be something that you wanted, the fact that someone took the time to think of you and get you a gift in the first place is what should matter in the end.

However, my phrase poses the question "if you weren't thinking, does it count?" If you don't take someone's wants and needs (or even tastes) into consideration, or even worse, if you weren't actually thinking about whether the person would like the gift and are just going through the motions of giving them something (as if its an obligation), than does the gesture still count as "thoughtful"? Should one still give credit to a person for giving a gift when no actual thought was put into getting it?
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

25. Likes aerophobia liked this post
    Senior Member aerophobia has a reputation beyond repute aerophobia has a reputation beyond repute aerophobia has a reputation beyond repute aerophobia has a reputation beyond repute aerophobia has a reputation beyond repute aerophobia has a reputation beyond repute aerophobia has a reputation beyond repute aerophobia has a reputation beyond repute aerophobia has a reputation beyond repute aerophobia has a reputation beyond repute aerophobia has a reputation beyond repute aerophobia's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Monkey Tuxedo Mask Rose Present
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-28-2014 05:10 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Aerophobia

People often say that "its the thought that counts", that even though the gift may not be something that you wanted, the fact that someone took the time to think of you and get you a gift in the first place is what should matter in the end.

However, my phrase poses the question "if you weren't thinking, does it count?" If you don't take someone's wants and needs (or even tastes) into consideration, or even worse, if you weren't actually thinking about whether the person would like the gift and are just going through the motions of giving them something (as if its an obligation), than does the gesture still count as "thoughtful"? Should one still give credit to a person for giving a gift when no actual thought was put into getting it?
    NO, they should not...BUT usually what happens is you get a gift that you think is something like what you said above but you dont want to say anything just in case. Either because its from a family member or you're just not a pushy person and youd rather not risk offending them. Some people are just bad at picking out gifts, or it could just be a family member or friend you dont see often or haven't see in awhile so they dont know much of what to get for you so they try but fail and then you just think they didnt try at all.
    But yeh, i mostly just grin and bear it when i get a bad gift. (Unless its clothes. if its clothes i just hold it up to me so they can see it wont fit and say something in a jokingly way and the other person will usually just offer the receipt then) I can just re-gift the item or give it away, if its clothes i can give it to charity.
    "“Loneliness is a disease that can lead to death. They might as well be the same thing.”---spice and wolf

“When you're surrounded by all these people, it can be lonelier than when you're by yourself. You can be in a huge crowd, but if you don't feel like you can trust anyone or talk to anybody, you feel like you're really alone.” -- Fiona Apple

teed's Puppy International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818's Avatar
    Gil
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-07-2020 05:11 PM
    Threads

If i got a box full of aids, I would be pretty damn unhappy.

Closed Thread

Thread Information